I spent more than a month searching for the perfect vacation for me and my boyfriend. His idea of the perfect vacation is hiking in the mountains of Honduras or Costa Rico. He likes to be amongst the locals, low key, experiencing the culture and the food, and roughing it. Mine is a 5 star on the beach with a bottomless glass of rum, eating quality food, dancing into the wee hours, and sleeping in. My idea of roughing it is The Holiday Inn. So I had to find something that would please us both. The Spa Retreat was IT!
From the moment we arrived we were given 5 star service. The drink slipped into our hands and the tour of the property, ending up at our cottage was the perfect start. It has the small secluded feel, combined with class. It's not gawdy or over the top, but everything was high quality. To get anywhere touristy you have to walk or taxi. The property is as beautiful as everyone else described, and the attention from the staff can't be beat. Not a single person walked past us without asking if there was anything we needed.
We walked all over Negril stopping at local places to eat, and supermarkets and souvenir stands. It was a hike to 7 mile beach but we walked the entire beach. I didn't see a single property on the beach that I would have wanted to stay in. A couple from Belgium had booked a place on the beach but left and came to The Spa Retreat. I'm sure they lost money but they didn't care and were very happy with their decision. We also walked to the lighthouse, watched (and participated in) cliff divining at Rick's. The roads don't have sidewalks but everyone was polite and honked. I never felt like anyone was going to run us over.
I took in several spa treatments (my kind of vacation:) which were all heavenly. I'd say we at about half of our meals at the Blue Mahoe and while everything was superb, we also wanted to experience some of the other recommended restaurants, as well as some of the small "huts" along the road and on the beach. Our favorite Jerk was at 3 Dives. If you like really spicy food, the Jerk sauce was to die for!!
We only stayed 5 nights departing for home March 31st. Before we departed they asked how they could have improved our stay and the only thing I could suggest was maybe putting a lighted make up mirror in the bathroom. It didn't even seem fair to be critical about that since I didn't feel the need to wear much make up while I was there. Everything was perfect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A true luxury escape located on the West End Cliffs of Negril, Jamaica and located on nearly 2 acres of oceanfront; this unique property extends from white sandy beach into exotic grey cliffs overlooking the vibrant turquoise hues of the Caribbean Sea. 18 Handcrafted stone cottages with spectacular tropical gardens and cliff side dining at the Blue Mahoe Restaurant will enhance your SPA escape. The SPA Retreat features an open-air day spa offering classic aesthetic treatments with a Jamaican flair. The adults only, SPA Retreat features a sea water pool, sandy beach deck, A/C, free Wi-Fi, in-room safe, yoga and specialty tours to enhance your experience. The devotion to quality and service familiar to The SPA’s Canadian locations continues to surpass guest expectations from the moment your flight touches down. We look forward to having you as our guest! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Tingo, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, Venere and Jetsetter so you can book your The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Spa Retreat Hotel Negril
- Heart Beat Seaside Retreat Negril