My wife and I spent a week in Negril, splitting our time between The SPA Retreat and another cliffside boutique. Much of what I've read in others' reviews about feeling like having the place to oneselves held true for us, even though both villas on either side of us were occupied and we saw plenty of other guests. I must emphatically echo raves regarding the level of service. The combination of tranquility and service almost made it feel more like a B&B than a boutique.
Getting a cell phone upon check in is brilliant and was invaluable on our few forays into town. Complimentary snorkel gear was a plus as well- nothing but reefs surrounding the property. First impression was that the place was brand new- the facilities and grounds are meticulously kept. We stayed in a seaside cottage and had a good view of the pool, faux beach area, passing sea traffic and glowing sunset. We agree with another reviewer that it would be nice to have direct access from the room patio to the pool area, but were not bothered to step across to the pathway (or walk the extra 20 feet from our front door). We were bothered, however, by our bathroom counter's proximity to the shower step down. Two sinks are a definite plus, but the one closest to the shower is a bit of a fall hazard or turned ankle risk. The floor tiles in the room get a bit slippery, too. Noticed that at the entrance to the restaurant as well, right at the transition between the more textured outdoor to smooth indoor tiles. I did note a slippery when wet sign appeared there after an afternoon shower. I left a seperate review for the restaurant and will repeat here that the best meal I had during my time in Negril was at the onsite restaurant. Highly recommend the coconut shrimp appetizer, curry conch, snapper in coconut milk, jerk snapper wrap. Skip the burger, fish & chips, and other fare that you could get anywhere and stick with the local dishes and chef's recommendations. Respect to bar man Dwayne for lunch menu recommendations and a delicious and-- using key limes-- labor-intensive mojito. Kemp and Tyrone were a pleasure to chat with, and thanks to Heather for arranging for jetskis for us. Wonder if I could have negotiated the price for them, as it seemed we could have gotten them much cheaper on the beach, but they arrived at the hotel waterfront promptly and were in great shape. Highly recommend a post-afternoon shower ride when the water is the calmest, offering the double advantage of speed and sea life visibility. We didn't partake in any of the spa treatments but sitting in the "beach area" by the pool is an exercise of tranquility in and of itself. Great lines, few distractions. When it gets too hot, there's a bench in the pool that's great for reading or simply soaking in the shade of the trellis. Also had a blast jumping and swimming with the resident canine Rosa. She's a sweetheart and out of sight mostly. Definitely some road noise- trucks, motorcycles, etc. and general commotion from a bar next door to the restaurant and some kind of local hang out across the street from the spa, but usually only loud for a couple of hours in the early evening. Once the A/C was on and windows shut, sinking into sleep on the comfy bed was no problem, mon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A true luxury escape located on the West End Cliffs of Negril, Jamaica and located on nearly 2 acres of oceanfront; this unique property extends from white sandy beach into exotic grey cliffs overlooking the vibrant turquoise hues of the Caribbean Sea. 18 Handcrafted stone cottages with spectacular tropical gardens and cliff side dining at the Blue Mahoe Restaurant will enhance your SPA escape. The SPA Retreat features an open-air day spa offering classic aesthetic treatments with a Jamaican flair. The adults only, SPA Retreat features a sea water pool, sandy beach deck, A/C, free Wi-Fi, in-room safe, yoga and specialty tours to enhance your experience. The devotion to quality and service familiar to The SPA’s Canadian locations continues to surpass guest expectations from the moment your flight touches down. We look forward to having you as our guest! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Hotel.de, Odigeo, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Spa Retreat Hotel Negril
- Heart Beat Seaside Retreat Negril