“Reality check” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pure Garden Resort

You added Pure Garden Resort to your Saves list
Pure Garden Resort
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica (Formerly Bungalo Hotel)   |
Ranked #46 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Reality check”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I have been staying here for over twenty years and would never stay anywhere else. The staff are alway's very friendly and helpful.The rooms are not new but are well maintained and well kept. They are very well located and the security that they provide is number 1.
For the many years that i have gone here, this is my first review and after seeing some negitive comments it made me wonder if people that had a bad experience were more likely to write a review than people that have had a very good one?
For the few people that had a bad expereince i'll bet there are hundreds that can say as i have what a wonderful expereince they have had!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Brooklyn Center, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

My husband and i have been coming to Negril Jamaica for many, many years and have stayed at most of the nicer hotels on the beach. On our last trip the place that we had made reservations lost them [ Or so they say ] needless to say we were in quite the bind and very lucky to find such a nice place on short notice.
We were warmly greeted and made to feel right at home, they did have to do quite a bit of shuffling do to our not having a reservation but they did so very cheerfully.
After staying on the beach for so many years and having to put up with all the hassles on the beach the Bungalo sure was a nice retreat.
The bar, pool area was my husbands favorite spot, though the bar wasen't open enough for his liking do to the level of occupants.
My husband liked the place so much that we have already made reservations for next year!
I'm recommending the Bungalo to all my friends and anyone else that travels to Negril!
After this last trip we have decided to call this our new home away from home.
One Very satisfied customer

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
brooklyn park mn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I just got back from anouther great Jamaican vacation!!
The price was great and being able to check in without booking in advance was a real plus.
China was pleasent as alway's and the staff was very kind and helpful!
I would recommend this place to anyone the location is great and the pool is a real plus after a day of the baech.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anybody going to Negril! I've been to Negril many, many times and this hotel was the worst! It's too bad because the hotel is in a great location and would not be half bad if the real owners of the hotel got rid of the so called "general manager". I booked this hotel when a friend of mine recommended it to me, at the time there was a very pleasant woman by the name of Jacqueline that was managing the hotel and she did all that she could to make the booking experience wonderful and she had us looking forward to our stay at this hotel. Unfortunately about a month or so prior to our arrival this woman was let go and we only now had "Ms Rude" to correspond with. A week or so prior to my arrival I called the hotel directly to make sure everything was still ok as i didn't want any surprises upon our arrival and was told by "Ms Rude" that we did not have a reservation, thank God that Jacqueline sent me a copy of my confirmation by email or I probably would have been without accommodations. Only after going over my confirmation details and number did "Ms Rude" finally turn around and say oh yes my apologies I do see your reservation now.......hmmmmmmmmm.....We arrived at the hotel on Dec 30 and had a kitchenette room confirmed for 4 people for a total of 16 nights. When we checked in "Ms Rude" was not there, instead a man was there to check us in, he welcomed us and said "oh I know you only reserved a standard room but we have upgraded you to a room with a kitchen" I corrected him and showed him our confirmation which clearly shows that we booked and paid for a room with a kitchen. He just smiled....We paid him cash in full for our stay, there was some change that he owed back to us that he said he would bring to us later......he never did.....he gave us our one key to our room and showed us to our room. When we checked in there were 3 of the 4 of us who checked in together, this hotel is not all inclusive and does not give anyone id bracelets or cards or anything to identify them as guests but insists on harrassing guests everytime they come in and out asking them for id???? I personally do not carry my passport with me at all times, I lock it in a safe place so not to lose it.....because of this one of our party left the hotel to pick up some food and upon his return was accousted by "Ms Rude" and was asked for id among other things, this of course was very upsetting to him as we paid for our stay in full and after coming through the gate "Ms Rude" said she as going to call the police on him....we waited for the police as we would have loved to have had the opportunity to bring "Ms Rude" down a notch but of course they never came and either did the appology from her after realizing that she was wrong and he was a paying guest of the hotel. This was all on our first day....unfortunately the nightmare did no stop there...."Ms Rude" continued to harrass us everyday....If we were sitting on our porch she would walk by and ask us to turn the AC off.....If we were in our room or on our porch and our door was slightly opened...to get rid of the awful smell of the room, she would walk by and ask us to close our door or turn our AC off...one day we were sitting in the kitchen and we heard "Ms Rude" walk by outside and ask us to turn the kitchen lights off as it was daytime and they were not needed...When we reserved the room we double checked to make sure that we would be able to have friends visit us, we know a lot of people in Negril and chose this hotel as it was very close and central for everyone, unfortunately "Ms Rude" who likes to make hotel rules up as she goes along and for what best suits her and her mood made it impossible for us to have any guests over...please remember this is NOT even a 2 star hotel! We did some shopping and decided to dissinfect and clean the kitchen to our satisfaction so that we would be comfortable using it to cook and clean in and upon doing so found dishes under the sink that still had food in them that was rotting and stinky, we found a dish in one of the cupboards that had dozens of cigarette butts and ashes in it, we found numerous dead cockroaches, it was awful......we placed the dish with the cigarette butts etc outside as there was no way we were going to eat off of it and not even 5 minutes later "Ms Rude" comes by and asks if we were responsible for the dish...I explained to her about the dirty dishes etc etc and she just rolled her eyes and walked away....again no apology???? We quickly realized that if we wanted clean towels or toilet paper or our room cleaned that we had to ask for them everyday.....When we checked in they gave us 2 towels for 4 people???? Everyday was the same problem, everyday we had to go out of our way to ask for these 3 things sometimes they would bring 2 towels so we would have to ask for the other 2 and the toilet paper, some days we would only have to ask for a quick clean up of the room (never the beds or dishes or anything but for the floors to be swept and moped) it became so tiresome that I asked if we could just get a broom to keep the kitchen floor clean ourselves to keep the uninvited guests away, we never did get a broom....at one point "Ms Rude" told us that we only get one roll of toilet paper every other day.....On about our 3rd or 4th day "Ms Rude" came to me and said that we owed a deposit on the room or a credit card imprint??? Why was this not asked for upon check in? A couple of days later I had one of the cleaning ladies knock on my door and tell me that "Ms Rude" has asked for me to go and see her in her office immediately.....I'm not sure when I became one of her employess but I informed the cleaning lady that I would go to see "Ms Rude" at my convenience and if she wanted to see me she should have come to me, i'm sorry but this is my vacation. I went to go see her as I was really curious to know what the problem was now. "Ms Rude" is now telling me that we did not pay enough money for the room, she is saying that we were undercharged and would have to pay more money especially since we had 4 people in the room, that was it I lost it, I am a very calm and patient woman, however this was the last straw....I asked her what her problem was with us, her attitude, demeanor, everything about her was just awful....I informed her that if the hotel had certain policies, procedures and rules that if they could not afford to give a copy of these to guests when they checked in that they should have these displayed somewhere in the lobby so that guests can be aware of what the hotel expects. She looked at me very puzzled....I don't think she knew what I was talking about....She continued to go on about our reservation only being for 2 people in the room not 4, I stormed out of the office and went to get our confirmation from our room to yet again show her that it clearly shows confirmation for 4 PEOPLE FOR 16 NIGHTS IN A KITCHEN ROOM!!!!!!!! When I went back to show her this again she was on the phone with someone saying "I don't know what her problem is, I don't know why she is getting upset....I haven't done anything wrong". I asked her if I could first get a copy of the hotel policies etc and if i could please get the name of the owner, she continued to tell me that she was the part owner and the gm and that there was no one else I could speak to. I asked her to look at the confirmation in my hand and to make a copy of it so that we would not have to deal with this over and over again. She wouldn't even look at the confirmation. She wouldn't even acknowledge that I was right and that she had made a mistake, again....and still no apology....and still not hotel policies.....I asked her to please leave us alone from now on and allow us to enjoy our vacation or what was left of it because to date it has been nothing but horrible thanks to her!!!! We tried to find another hotel to move to but unfortunately because it was New Years all the other hotels were booked up. I should also mention that in the first week we were there we talked to about 8 different people at the hotel who trying to check out early and get a refund all because of "Ms Rude"... Everyone realizes that this is not a high end hotel and that there will be some issues but it is all in how the management deals with the guests and the issues, and the customer service that they show and offer that will make the difference. Just one last mention, our room was infested with bugs, I realize this happens in climates such as Jamaica, we had to ask to have our room sprayed and for days after they sprayed we would come home or wake up to numerous dead roaches, biggest roaches i have ever seen. It was horrible, one morning I woke up to a live roach feasting on a dead roach.......the nightmare at this hotel did not end it continued through our whole stay, "Ms Rude did everything she could to make sure we were miserable, she even commented that she couldn't wait for us to leave and "THank God" when she once again approached us regarding something else and we said don't worry were are leaving in a couple of days!!! Whoever the real owner of this hotel is I wish you would identify yourself and allow your guests the opportunity to communicate their complaints to you...why do you have a comments and suggestions box in your lobby if you are doing nothing but running guests our of there?

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE. This "hotel" if they can really call it that, is run by a jamaican woman who is consistantly rude, unfair, and makes up her own rules without any regard for repeat customers. She a) Took away our refrigerator in the middle of the night because "we did not pay the extra 500 JD when we checked in"; b) She tried to charge us for having guests store their bags in our room for the day...let me remind you that these guests were my friends that had previously given her 3 nights of business and were heading out in a matter of hours; c) She rushed us out of our room every morning and continued to make us uneasy about our stay by saying off color and rude remarks to us while we walked passed her on our way to the beach; Overall, I think she could use a few joints here and there to chill the f*** out because right now she has won the title of "Biggest Bit*h in Jamaica". Unfortunate for the other staff because the hotel location and rooms were pretty nice, plus the pool area was a hidden gem!

Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Bloomington, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anybody going to Negril! I've been to Negril several times and this hotel was theeee worst! There were dead ants on my sheets, air conditioning did not work they brought a fan, toilet had to be flushed several times for even just toilet paper to go down, they only had one key to my room which I had therefore they couldn't clean it, had to leave door unlocked so they could clean and they didn't even push the button on the door knob so it could be locked when they were done (therefore door unlocked all day) And please don't even think about having a visitor, they must sign in, show id etc. After 11 pm forget about it unless you plan to pay. We asked for a refund and that was refused!

Room Tip: White Sands or Hidden Paradise much better!