“Good for people on a budget and people who do not intend to stay on property all day.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Our Past Time Villas

Save Saved
You added Our Past Time Villas to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Our Past Time Villas
Norman Manley Blvd | between beaches Sandy Bay and Sandals Negril, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #40 of 91 Hotels in Negril
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here in August 2011. I stayed here alone, so as a female was very concerned about staying some where safe... Our past time was the perfect place for me. It has 24hr security, therefore if your not a guest, you cannot just walk onto property. I checked in at 2am and Oliver the security guard was very welcoming and helpful. The Manager Hazel is such a sweet woman, and willing to help you out in any way possible.

My room was clean and very spacious, I had a queen and a single bed, a fridge, Chester draws, a wardrobe, and a TV. The wardrobe also has a safe in it, which came in handy to put my iPad, money and valuables in when I went out for the day, just gave me piece of mind. They also offer free wi-fi

The bathroom was clean and spacious, with shower and hot water. Clean soft White towels where also provided.

The view from my balcony was absolutely amazing, as the property over looks the 7 mile beach, the balcony also had a table and chairs, where I often sat as soon as I woke up in the morning.... You can also see the bar/ resteraunt.

Only disadvantages were the ants and bugs in the room, the decor could also do with an upgrade, and some modern flat screen tv's would be alot better. But overall a nice place, bare in mind it's not an all inclusive, as I was out and about every day, this didn't really bother me. Also in a good location for clubs and hotel bars and parties. I really enjoyed my stay here. But if your looking for some where, where you can stay on property all day every day, this is not for you, as it doesn't have any entertainment. But there are a lot of places surrounding it that offer entertainment, you just have to be willing to go out and explore negril. As a single female I felt very safe at all times here.
I will be going back this year :)

Stayed August 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012 via mobile

I drove to Negril with nowhere to stay. I checked out a few hotels and Our Past Time seemed to be the best choice. The manager was amazingly sweet the rate was fair and the room was nice. It's right on the beach the food is good and they made my stay in Negril so great. I highly recommend staying there if you are just travelling around.
Keep in mind it's not a 5 star hotel but for a few days it's perfect.

• Stayed February 2012
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I staied at this hotel for two days to meet my mother who lives in Italy for a short vacation. As soon as we got there we understood that we made a terrible choice in terms of accommodation. At a level that after one day we decided to leave and spend our holiday elsewhere.

#Structure:
The whole property seemed a work in progress, with men working on the roof (of our room), and using drills near the restaurant to fix a tube that was falling down. The place was old and deteriorating, it was messy and in many areas dirty. The only receptionist is the British lady who runs the place, but they have a 24h guard.

#Room:
I could easily write a whole review solely on the room. Starting with the good things, the bed was confortable and the view was rather nice. That's about it with the good things. The closet was dark and dirty and the hangars were of the same kind I get from the dry cleaner in Brooklyn. They have the same "we love our costumers" piece of paper on them, and they were way over-used. The room had no phone, and was poorly lit. The fridge, which contained only water upon our arrival, froze the water.
There was no window expect for two shades which did not completely close, and a glass which did not open at all. Bugs were free to enter through said shades.
The bathroom deserves a separate chapter, but I'm including it here. The shower was ok (high pressure and warm water, although this might be explained by the fact that we were the only guests–more on that later). There was no shelf whatsoever and the sink, which was also full of dead bugs, was the only place where one could place toothbrush and make-up (which you do not need at this hotel!). The sink also leaned and was not properly fixed, which made it impossible to put things on it without them falling down.

#Service:
Although the British lady (the manager) and the staff tried to be nice and accommodating, they offered a rather poor service. There was no lifeguard on the beach, and waiters at the restaurant wore no uninform (although some of them wore a t-shirt with the hotel's logo). At one point we asked for a knife to cut some fruit we bought outside the hotel (they had none at the time), and we were given a large (obviously dirty) kitchen knife with which I looked like I was going to commit a homicide. Later I realized there was no other guest and therefore I could have not killed anybody.

#Restaurant:
The restaurant was one of the lowest quality restaurant I dined at. And I've had some nasty stuff around the world.
The first breakfast we decided to try was the Jamaican traditional breakfast for lack of a better alternative. We had no expectations, and it was fairly good. We were not served any orange juice, but only some coffee.
For lunch, we decided to have lobster, which it was advised by some folks from Chicago. After a long way we recived a clearly undercooked lobster from which we had troubles getting the pulp out. We also had troubles talking to each other, because the drill was 5ft from us.
For dinner, we had some local chicken. The food was tasty but required us to wait more than 40 minutes with no appetizer or bread, which was not available. We were the only people dining at the restaurant which felt kinda lonely.
The restaurant was also overpriced compared to the hotel we moved to, which was amazingly good.
In the afternoon we asked for some fruit, and we recived a few Bananas for $3, which we both disliked.

#Entertainment:
There is no entertainment whatsoever. Being the only guests doesn't help either.

#Location:
The location was nice but not perfect as other reviews suggested. The hotel sits right between two large resorts (one of them being the renowned Sandals) and there is not much to do around the area. Further south on the beach, were the second hotel was located, there were a lot of mini-markets and restaurants. The locations would be nice if you were interested in going to the water park which was at the other side to the street.

#Beach:
The 7mile Beach is rather amazing, but the part of the beach where Our Past Times is located is only average. A line of floats kept the bathers in a restricted area, outside of which large boats were anchored and many PWCs ran around. The place was not quite at all.
A lady that performed massages took up a large portion of the small beach, and the shade was limited. The towels provided were however really soft.

#Pricing:
The pricing is well below the area average (although not that low). I advise you to stay less in a better place than longer at Our Past Times. There, you look forward to the day you leave, and the extra days do not help to make you feel better.

#Refund:
After we decided to leave and confirmed a room at the Chalera Inn (amazing resort) I asked the British lady to refund us at least the remaining nights. After a long discussion she disagreed to do so, blaming it on a director to whom she refused to let me speak.

Room Tip: I don't know if there is any good room, but to better your chances of getting one, avoid room 20...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Rebecca R, Marketing Agency at Our Past Time Villas, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Thank you for your review.

We appreciate all feedback, both positive and negative. We're sorry that we failed to meet your expectations. Yes, we were making some renovations to the hotel while you were there. We are so sorry that you were disturbed by the noise. Since your stay in March 2012, we've made improvements to the hotel. If you would consider giving us a second chance, please get in touch. We'll do our best to make it up to you.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

I traveled to Jamaica with 2 friends, I we were searching for a place to stay in Negril as we didnt book ahead. We were extremely pleased to have found this hotel. It was a long drive so we were happy they mentioned the fresh lobster they had caught. It was that extra bit service that made the stay that much more enjoyable.

The hotel room was great! Our balcony overlooked the sea. The bathroom and room itself was clean, well decorated and spacious. Their restaurant which sits right beside the beach has authentic breakfast, lunch and dinner choices at good prices and whatever you choose it's delicious!!

If you're on a budget or not this is a great place to stay!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
South Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

We are multi-multi repeat guests at Hedonism II in Negril. When we went down there last week, we decided to fly into Jamaica the day before our stay at Hedonism and spend one night at a small NON all-inclusive hotel on the beach. We were getting in late and didn't want to pay for a full day of all-inclusive at Hedonism if we were only going to be there a few hours.

So I did some reasearch and found Our Past Time. I chose it because it's only down the street from Hedonism (only Sandals stands in between the two places) and because the reviews on here were decent.

We were pleased with our short stay. We got to the hotel around 6pm. Hazel was very nice and brought us right up to our room, which was on the 2nd floor with a nice balcony overlooking the beach. We had requested a kind size bed and she was VERY apologetic when we got there that she only had a room with one queen and one twin. No problem, Mon. We were only staying the one night and the bed was fine. And the balcony was a nice plus in the morning when we sat to drink our coffee.

Once we got into the room we just tossed our suitcases on the bed and went downstairs to the restaurant on the hotel property for dinner. I ordered curry shrimp and my husband got curry chicken and I've gotta say that both dishes were OUTSTANDING. It wasn't cheap, but it was really, really good. We ate, did just a little walk on the beach and then went upstairs to crash. The next morning, like I said, we just had our coffee on the patio, then we grabbed showers and got ready to go. Hazel's lovely husband (who's name I apologize, but I forgot) very kindly gave us a ride down the street to Hedo.

So, for what we needed, this place was nice and we very well might stay for a night at the start of our next trip to Negril in October.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

Spent one night at PTV which was one night too many. First room had huge ants coming out of the walls, the tv wasn't working, and there was only one key available for 3 people to share. Since my roommate checked in first, she was given the only key. When she left the property, no one was able to access the room. The front desk person came up to spray the room because of the ants but it didn't work so we requested to be moved to another room. Not much better and another mission team member in another room had issues with cockroaches so beware!! There are plenty of places to stay in Negril so be vigilant and do your homework. The rooms may be inexpensive but you get what you pay for.....

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Rebecca R, Marketing at Our Past Time Villas, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.

We're sorry that you had some problems with bugs and other creepy crawlers while staying with us. We try our best to keep rooms bug free. However, we do ask guests to take into consideration that Jamaica is a tropical country. While this does not excuse the presence of cockroaches in your room (which should never have happened, and we apologize) you might find the odd bug if you stay in Jamaica.

We're sorry that your TV wasn't working, and for the inconvenience with the key. We will address these problems. Would you consider giving us another try? Please get in touch. We'll try our best to make it up to you.
Sea Bright, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

Amazing hotel, with incredible people. Everything was comfortable, from the large beds to the great pillows. The air conditioning was super cold and fully adjustable, some rooms have refrigerators, ceiling fans. All the rooms have HUGE towels (washed with downy or its equivalent so they are soft and smell great). The showers have great pressure, the soap they provide leaves your skin feeling awesome, and the rooms have balconies overlooking the ocean! Every room has a safe. There is a restaurant that serves three meals on the beach, and a bar. Wireless internet is free. There is a lovely garden area and amazing 7 mile beach right outside, with plenty of shade and lounge chairs that convert to regular chairs if you want to sit up. It is a little further up the beach so you don’t have the hassle of vendors constantly walking by, and the property is private – to get to the beach you have to walk through the lobby, which is manned 24 hour/day. We arrived at MIDNIGHT, after an exhausting travel day and without a reservation. Hazel, the manager (who lives on premises) was there to welcome us and get us settled. She also arranged for Radcliffe to take us into town to get something to eat, as we were starving, and rightly suggested that we bring it back, so that we had an awesome meal on our balcony at 1AM! Germainne, who was on night shift most of the week, is a whiz with computers, and got ours working when the battery wouldn’t fit right! Talk about full service. Even Donna, the woman who straightened our room daily, was sweet, kind and attentive. For a week filled with Jamaican hospitality, on an amazing portion of 7 mile beach in Negril, Our Past Time cannot be beat!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Our Past Time Villas? Share your experiences!