“Jamaica (Negril) for less than $50 a night” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Gardenia Resort

You added The Gardenia Resort to your Saves list
The Gardenia Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Norman Manley Blvd., Negril, Jamaica (Formerly Daniel Village Resort)   |
Ranked #62 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Jamaica (Negril) for less than $50 a night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

In Jamaica, you definitely get what you pay for, and that is not completely a bad thing. Lately when I visit Negril, I am on a budget and have been searching for hotels for under $50 a night. Thus far I've stayed at Pure Gardens, Sun Beach, Paul's Apartments and now Gardenia Resort. I want to review each one on its own.

GARDENIA - I picked this one because of the pictures on the website (which looked decent enough) and the crazy low $38 a night price tag that I paid for 7 days. The hotel is definitely older. Which means there are good things and bad things that you will experience during your stay. Our room ended up being way in the back by the pool and jacuzzi, which by the way hadn't been cleaned so we did not utilize either during our stay. The room was large, as was the king size bed. The room itself was clean. We had daily maid service and they were all very friendly. I cannot say the towels were squeaky clean though, so we used our own beach towels for the most part but the we had no issues with the bed linens. The water was lukewarm in the shower and not the best pressure in the world but it definitely served its purpose. The front desk staff was friendly and that is all that we saw. They don't bug you at this resort. You're left to your own devices. As a matter of fact, I don't even recall seeing another guest in our four unit block of rooms so we wandered around like we owned the place. It had a nice big balcony with a cute two person bench to relax on. Very quiet. Very private. Very Basic. If you go in to this hotel, not expecting more than the bare minimum (room, bed, shower, t.v, maid service) and you're not picky, you will be just fine here.

PURE GARDENS - This location is also an older hotel that I have reviewed before. You get a basic room, the mattresses are far from fluffy, so my husband and I took the mattress off the other unused bed and put it on top of ours. Instant pillow top! (as I said, we are not picky). The room was clean, you get daily maid service, and a nice little veranda to sit out on. Just like Gardenaia, Pure Gardens has a great deal of trees and flowering plants which is nice. I will say this though, we had to change rooms from the first one we were offered and were much happier with the second option they gave us. Every room is not the same. The front desk staff are great for the most part and will assist with most requests. We had one issue with a maintenance guy grumbling about having to provide us a mini fridge once we changed rooms but that was minor. The pool is big and deep enough to dive. You can also get massages out by the pool deck which was nice. Again, basic room, clean, shower, better pool than Gardenia, but none of these locations have a "sparkling clean pool" if you know what I mean. But at least at Pure Gardens, we didn't notice that until the end of our trip and it was slight. SUN BEACH - Sun Beach is a bar, not a hotel, but the owners have a few rooms that if available you can rent. Sun Beach is literally on the beach. You walk out of your room and you're there. The rooms are very basic. I did however like the size and comfort of the beds here a great deal better. The room was large, shower, t.v, no regular maid service. They do have a maid, but depending on your in and out schedule in your room, you might miss her, which we did for several days. But we're not pigs so it wasn't a problem. When we needed towels or supplies all we had to do was walk up to the bar. The bar staff is super nice and they brought us whatever we needed. No complaints. Sun Beach is all about location, and is probably one of the few places that have rooms right on the beach. This one is NOT advertised however so scheduling is a little tricky.

PAUL'S APARTMENTS - We found this one when we needed a cheaper place to take the sting off the cost of a location wedding. This is a larger home, that has been converted into individual apartments off of Non Lampriel Road (don't quote me on the spelling). Its further into Negril past Sweet Spice restaurant (if you know where that is) so you'll need a cab to get back to the beach side. We liked this place because it was safe, it has a huge locked gate that you get a key to, Paul (the owner) is onsite downstairs and makes himself available for any question you may have, our room (not all) had a full kitchen and fridge in it. Granted there was a small battle to be fought with some invading ants, but we won. Clean room, shower, veranda, and a kitchen to cook your own food for $50. For me, you can't beat that with a stick. Again, there is always a downside. You don't get $50 rooms AND perfect service. The power went out one night for an hour or so. There is no pool, no jacuzzi, no nothing like that. When we went to try to walk to the beach, we soon realized that the rocky path on the way there was not going to make it easy. But this place felt really homey. Paul is very welcoming and we would definitely go back.

IF ANYONE ELSE KNOWS OF $50 OR UNDER ROOMS THAT ARE WORTH AN HONEST BALANCED MENTION - Please feel free to add to the post. I'm all about saving money and not always paying for the glitz and glamour if the basics will do I will add more pics later. HAPPY TRAVELS!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
May Pen, Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel from 11/7/2014 -13/7/2014 and it was good.The front desk clerks were courteous and the kitchen staff.How must I forget the security staff, they were also wonderful. Big up yourself

Room Tip: Rooms on the upstairs before the pool are cooler.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Tampa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I stayed here on a sprng break trip in college. This was a nightmare from hell! Whatever you do, do not stay here. No sheets, no shower curtains, no air condition, gross completely nasty!!! Had to shower in the pool show becuase the water shut off. This is a VER VERY SAD SAD excuse for a resort. It is a dump. Avoid at all cost!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
québec
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

The staff is just not helpful and incompetent except the maids which are always smiling and provide a good service.

The resort itself is not very fresh and old but very intimate, in the jungle side and it is very relaxing, just in the front of Negril Beach.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

My second stay at Gardenia resort was the best yet. Richard and his staff take great pride in making sure your stay is acceptable for you. The rooms located in the rear of property are the best choice well suited for the most relaxing and quiet. Some rooms are condos and others are standard rooms that are excellent for my needs. The best location on the beach is just across the road. Any thing you need in this area is very close by with a great Mimi Mart for any groceries you need. If you need to arrange site seeing trips they can be arranged with Richard and his staff. I stayed for two weeks in January of 2014. I highly recommend this hotel. Carl Mon.

Room Tip: Up stairs for the enjoyment of bird watching and a cool breeze.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Charlestown, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

I spent the last 3 nights in Jamaica here after being on the road for 5 days. I was really pleased with this site and would definitely go back. The staff was very responsive and sweet. Plenty of clean towels but we asked them not to change the bedding every day to save water etc. We enjoyed the breakfast in the morning. Two choices of "Continental" or "Jamaican". If you have a good appetite go with the Jamaican. The Continental was eggs and toast, juice and coffee. I loved the location. Walk across the road and a short distance to the beach. Suited me perfectly as I didn't need to be right on the beach. Plenty of restaurants and other things further down the road that you can walk to. Our room was very clean and the AC was quiet and working. Nice new bathroom, spacious a good shower. I thought we were going to stay one night and ended up there for three because it was so easy and restful. I would go back alone as a single person. I felt completely safe and in fact there is a night watchman who patrols the property. My room was P104. Yes, little things like bedside lamps or another electrical outlet would help but as an experienced traveler I didn't fine these things to be a huge issue. We had a cold refrigerator and flat-screen TV. A small tiled veranda made it very pleasant.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Richard-Manager, Manager at The Gardenia Resort, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Glad that you enjoy yourself at Gardenia and both Manager and staff was grateful that you took the time to spend your vacation with us and hope to see you again. All that was mention that was needed to improve the room is being consider and maybe in place by the time you come back at Gardenia.

Thanks,
Richard Miller.
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I'd like to think I am a very reasonable person. I am by no means picky. I frequent Jamaica often, 2-4 times a year and have stayed in accommodations from 4&5 stars to rooms with no TV or internet and in the middle of nowhere. I will say if it weren't for the tolerant and patient staff I would have lost it at this place. I reserved a kitchenette months in advance for a six night stay during New Year's Eve. We arrived there were no kitchenettes available. OK no problem. We were put in a room that had wifi, a 19 inch TV (it was literally the size of a computer monitor ... not complaining yet) and two full sized beds when we paid for Queen size, no mirror and at times no water pressure, the water trickled out of the shower head, still no problem. The room was clean though the decor was lacking. I felt like I was in a prison cell. I informed Richard, the manager, that we were not satisfied with our room. He apologized and said he would have us moved when a kitchenette became available. TWO DAYS LATER!!! We were moved into a kitchenette. We inspected the room everything seemed to be good. We went pool side and had the breakfast buffet which was limited but ok if you like Jamaican fair...which I do. If you want bacon and eggs, toast, pancakes and that sort of thing you won't be happy. They had it but it was cold and once it ran out that was it. There wasn't even enough clean cups for me to have a cup of tea and then the sugar and milk ran out on more than one occasion. The last day of out trip we were told by one of the staff that chef had quit.) After eating breakfast we went out for the day and moved into the room that evening. The "F-ing " air conditioner was not working, there was no wifi no cell phone reception, no hot water, no pots or dishes in the kitchenette the mini fridge was the only thing working. I was beside myself. Oh and the rooms do not have telephones so I had to walk to the front desk in the middle of the night to complain and there was NO ONE THERE. The only person on the grounds was the security guard at the front gate. So I yelled at him..sorry security guy but I was pissed. He was nice, he tried to help by seeing if he could adjust the hot air coming out of the air conditioner. I was yelling so loud that someone next door who seemed to be a long term tenant said he had control of the hot water for that section of the hotel and would turn it back on. Huh.. why is one person controlling the water for five rooms. Anyway...I got a hold of Richard and told him we want to go back to the other room (which was the lesser of two evils) It was occupied, so we were put in a better room by the staff who seem to be fustrated by Richard's lack of organization, and management leadership. The last room was better however I was concerned by the fact that it was facing the parking lot and the front doors were glass payned french doors with curtains on them, the kind of doors you would have inside of a home, not as an entry way. Those doors could have easily been manipulated and opened. The day we check out Richard had the nerve to charge us for the kitchenette. I told him he had to adjust the bill because we only stayed in the kitchenette for one out of the six nights. There were so many unhappy guests there that I felt sorry for the staff who were receiving complaint after complaint and did the best they could. I even tipped those that went out of their way, above and beyond to accommodate us. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL to someone looking for amenities. If you just want somewhere to lay your head and don't mind having your passport and valuables with you at all times then this is an OK spot to be.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Gardenia Resort? Share your experiences!