“Quiet relaxing and friendly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Gardenia Resort

You added The Gardenia Resort to your Saves list
The Gardenia Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Norman Manley Blvd., Negril, Jamaica (Formerly Daniel Village Resort)   |
Ranked #62 of 88 Hotels in Negril
Hinsdale, Illinois
“Quiet relaxing and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Great staff great location great room great pool, great bar lol simply GREAT. this is a home away from home. Located just up from Margarettaville on the garden side. The gardens are beautiful the rooms are great and the staff are family. LOVE every thing about this wonderful place. The room had too comfortable beds a full kitchen and clean bathroom. Cant ask for more. seriously the best budget place in Negril and Ive been to a few!!!!! Daily room service and they even washed my dishes for me... just cant say enough..... oh and though quiet they opened the front bar/restaurant every night no matter what. This is mentioned cos the last place I stayed not onlty advertised a bar/restaurant it was not oly closed cos of the quiet season it was boarded up!!! People and place were beautiful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed at the Gardenia Resort with several of my family members. This is my second stay and again we had a fantastic time. Richard the General Manager took the best care of us, he catered to our many needs he upgraded us to suite type rooms since the resort was not as busy at the time we stayed. Horashio our server for breakfast throughout our entire stay was outstanding. Being in the industry i can be very critical at times, but i could not find one fault with the staff or service. The resort is in need of a facelift, but otherwise I had a fantastic stay thanks to Richard and his team for a job well done. I look forward to staying again in 2014.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you like a quiet environment with bird watching reading or just relaxation this is the perfect place for you. Richard and his friendly staff will provide you with any accommodaton you need. The pool is great also a secluded spa in the rear. the restaurant will serve your needs in any way you request. Any excursion trip you would like can be arranged from the helpful staff. The bar loacated at the front of the property is very nice with excellent beverages and helpful barteders.

Room Tip: Condo room. Up stairs
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

When you think of the word resort you think of spa services, activities ect.. Gardenia is certainly not a resort. When checking into my room there were issues with my AC, I notified the front desk they immediately sent someone to check it out, when the AC couldn't be fixed they moved me to another room. The jacuzzi wasn't working when I visited (last week in Jan-Feb). The restaurant also seemed to be closed. My second day there I asked the bartender if I could order ackee of the menu, he advised that most of the items were not available made order, it's best if I put in food request a day in advanced because they purchase items daily??? No big deal for me I opted to just try some of the awesome dinning options down the road. The place has a great location right on the Blvd across from 7 mile beach, 2min walk to Margaritaville, a convenience store, new mall and dinning options. The grounds are beautiful, the atmosphere peaceful, the rooms clean and bright. The staff was welcoming and always smiling and accommodating. This place has potential to be amazing. Never felt as if my security was at risk. 4x traveler to Negril

• Stayed February 2013
canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We booked 2 rooms at The Gardenia Resort from Dec 28, 2012 to Jan 10, 2013.
It is across the street from the beach. It is a nice looking and quiet hotel and could be great if they read these reviews.
The hotel was booked solid for the holidays, so we were put in the rooms at the very back of the hotel property, on the second floor, side by side to each other.
Now let me just say, I believe that no matter if you pay $20 or $200 a night there are somethings that you just expect from your room. Cleanliness, air-conditioning, running water, a phone (for emergencies) and safety.
Our rooms were clean, we had air-conditioning, but no running water on several occassions (they claimed it was a problem with the town not the hotel), no phone and safety left something to be desired.
Safety deposit boxes are in the office, which is only open certain hours.
Security is low, especially around the resort near the back.
Rooms are easily broken into, especially the rooms with lots of windows.
One of our rooms was entered (broken into) while we were sleeping....someone pried open the window and entered our room taking money. Not a great deal of money as it was near the end of our trip. The person who entered the room had to be small as the window entered was little and tight.
Thank goodness we didn't wake up and no one was hurt. We discovered what had happend in the morning.
We believe it was an employee working at the resort, due to circumstances that occurred before the break in and after the break in, that I will not mention as it is speculation at this point . Just beware of who may be listening to your conversations.
The manager, Richard is a nice man, he was very apologetic and police were called, but Richard does need a class on how to take charge of situations and please the guests.
Lots of problems around hotel, pool not working, hotel front desk phone not working, water not working, so toilets did not work either. No phones in the rooms.
I felt we should have been given some, if not all of our money back for our stay in one of the rooms, as there were just too many problems.
Negril overall is a very beautiful and safe place. I have stayed in Negril many times at different hotels, from expensive to cheaper. I love it and will always stay in Negril.
Would we stay at the Gardenia again? More than likely, No.
Lesson learned....A quiet hotel is not necessarily a safer hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure windows are permanently secured, use safety deposit boxes, stay in rooms at front of hote...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Positive people safe place, good times. French Canadian guys own run the place.i recommend the restraint for it is the best place to eat on the entire beach! All the surrounding hotel guests end up coming back to dine there. My friend is very picky.. Mostly a veg head but managed to dine without complaining for 5 days. Talk to people around negril and on the beach, they will let you know the food is best size and value. Location is in centre of the 7 miles and offers good swimming . No fish to see but lots to do .i have been to Jamaica 2 times and have stayed in ochi and mo bay . Don't waste time there. Totally not relaxing compared to chilling here. I will take my 10 year old twins and wife there next time and stay across from the beach again, it is quite and safe. The loud music , ambience and hotel can be too much for too long. Staying across the street is very relaxing.check them out next time or book ahead.

Room Tip: Great location, super friendly staff! Very secure....no problems mon! Good value back off the street...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2008

My family and I (two adults and two young children) stayed at the Resort for two weeks in February. It was nice and quiet as it is situated across the road from the beach traffic. This was especially nice in the evening when children go to bed early. It also has lots of property to explore and nice large verandas to make use of.
The rooms were cleaned everyday, the beds changed every second day. We even borrowed a propane stove to cook some of our own meals on. Luckily we brought our own coffee percalator, morning searches are a drag with young ones...
We really enjoyed our stay, I mean we weren't expecting the Ritz, and I was pleasantly surprised a few times,ie:laundry service. Another great thing with kids.
We never did see any cockroaches, only a lizard or two in the bathroom, until we plugged up the hole in the screen that he was using as his enterance.
I would recommend however that you bring your own comfy clean pillows with you, I definately will next year when we go back!
People, your in the jungle, expect the unexpected sometimes....

• Liked — I liked that it has great property, the price is right and it's a hideaway from the beach scene.
  • Disliked — my pillow.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Gardenia Resort? Share your experiences!