“Quiet, clean and budget friendly hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Coral Seas Garden
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #57 of 89 Hotels in Negril
Paterson, New Jersey
“Quiet, clean and budget friendly hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Very clean rooms and friendly staff. Upon arrival our TV didn't work and they replaced it within minutes. The hotel is right next to an Italian restaurant and a short walk from Kuyaba restaurant so you don't have to walk too far for dinner. The grounds are neatly kept and WiFi is available in the lobby, it's also right across the street from the beach.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Hamilton, Bermuda
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I would never recommend this hotel. The front desk staff was unfriendly on arrival and throughout the stay the office was either closed or children were manning the desk. The sheets were seriously worn with holes, tears, and windows. The bath mat was a bath towel ripped in half. The towel rack in the bathroom was busted and replaced with a bamboo stick and duct tape. There was no door knob on the bathroom door. They advertised satellite tv and wifi but most of the satellite channels were not subscribed for so you couldn't watch them. Wifi did not work in rooms only in the office as the women on the front desk told me as she pointed at the chair outside the office door "you have to sit pon de chair". First time my 2 and 4 year old and my husband and I tried to use the pool at 11am a rasta man was slowwwwwwly cleaning the pool and kept saying "soon". Guests including us were getting irritated at the lengthy wait but it didn't phase him. The garden staff would also water the dirt as there were large areas with no grass. They would also use a fan rake on the concrete which made loud grating sounds. There was even a few days where my kids were entertained by half a dozen men in rubber boots going back and forth with wheel barrows in front of our room from a dirt pile to an area where they were spreading the dirt. The cleaning schedule wasn't consistent and the staff would come by late so we would give up on the service and just ask for new towels, more toilet paper and emptied trash bins. It's as if they preferred this and popped up when we returned from someone to discover room still wasn't done. The restaurant made a delicious rice and peas and fried chicken but that is all they served for lunch or dinner...that is not a restaurant. Also the waitress had her 3 year old around most of the time wandering around talking and sitting off with guests.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Decent room for the price. I've been to this place twice. I enjoy the breakfast with Stacey. A short walk to the beach party on Sunday night at the public beach. They have parties here often. As a guest, you can attend for free. There are a few hut for those that want to avoid the sun. A few ladies from the yoga center across the street come by for breakfast and hang out on the beach all day. Water sports activities can be rented at the stand on the beach. No swimming pool or jacuzzi on site.

Room Tip: Only a few room with sea few
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
California, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The room was not ready when check in time came, room was not cleaned daily, they won't change our sheets daily, they did not have enough towels, breakfast was always late and cold, the toilet over flowed and it took an hour to get a plugger and I had to go search for a plugger from one of the maids and they did not come to clean up the bathroom and the maids are very very slow with cleaning the rooms, the beds were very hard, stains on the sheets and blankets. Good locate for beach access but I will not stay here again. I would rather pay more money for a nicer hotel, good service and a clean room daily. Don't waste your money go for a upgrade to a better hotel it will be worth it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

The rooms are basic, clean, and spacious. The balcony is great. They are the last hotel on the beach and in walking distance to the town and closest to the Westend where the best restaurants are located. The best aspect of this property is the beach. Plenty of beach whereas many of the other private properties have minimal beach because they built their properties too close to the water. Security on the beach and at the front gate to ensure guests are safe and enjoying their stay. I love the beach and will stay here again. Very nice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I enjoy the hotel since a few years 2 times a year and absolutely don't understand these bad reviews here. I always feel very welcome, I stayed in other hotels much more worse (even in 5 star hotels). The rooms do not have luxury furnishings but everything you need is available. In Jamaica, you can be happy if the hotels even have a TV. There is no donkey farm and no nude beach in the near as some alleged wrong.

Anyone traveling to Jamaica should inform in advance what to expect there! The conservation of nature is very important to most of the Jamaicans. So it can happen that you can hear even a dog, a cat, a pigeon, grilling or even a donkey (don't worry, also donkeys don't 'I-AAA' 24 hours a day, you may here him 2 times a night for a few seconds, not more). Anyone who can not cope will probably be better in Orlando or somewhere else! You certainly can not expect that every hotel has a doctor but who is able to read has an advantage: Hotel descriptions show if there is a doctor inside of the hotel or not.

Sunset on the Beach is the more expensive hotel. Enjoy if you get a free upgrade to the beach hotel! Normally, it would cost you much more than Sunset on the cliffs. For me, it's normal that I have to pay if I order a bottle of water, it's the same at home. I already had some extra wishes and asked friendly for it and they always helped me very nice. I never had to pay for it.

Anyone traveling to Jamaica need to expect real Jamaicans overthere! A Jamaican hotel worker doesn't look like the concierge in the 4Seasons New York. He don't need to! ...(this comment about the 'homeless' looking security guard is absolutely respectless.) If you need your well known everyday luxury you may have to go into one of the huge all inclusive resorts. There are doctors, flatscreens, and drink as much as you want. You will go back home without a realistic impression of Jamaica and you will need to pay much more money but if you feel better in your daily standards, it will be the better choice for you.

Anyone who is looking for a relaxing vacation and who likes to know the Jamaican people and the area of Negril can spend wonderful days here. Also single-travellers are in good hands here. The staff is very accommodating and friendly, from reception to the gardeners and cooks to restaurant/bar. No exceptions! (And have not we all sometimes a bad day in life?!) June and Mr. Henry have always an open ear for their guests needs and do everything in order to provide them a very enjoyable vacationtime.

The restaurant by the sea has a great location, the beach is bigger and better than most other beach hotels, you'll find enough chairs and also shade and I think it's great that you can use both hotels. The Cliffs Hotel is much more quiet, has a fantastic seaview but who loves the beach and the life there will prefer Sunset on the Beach. On Sundays, the Jamaicans celebrate a Party in the near (1pm to 1am). Wednesday was always karaoke party in the hotel. (And if you don't like it: ear plugs help.)

In a few days I am back at the hotel, I count the days! Melvin, Stacey, Lloyd, Melissa, Robert, Chenece, Nicola, Kadisha and my good friend 'Greenie', the Rasta on the beach selling souvenirs for always a fair price. I can not name all the people that I like so much in Sunset on the Beach.

I know I'm going to spend happy days there again,will forget everyday life at home the second I arrive, meet friends and even if it rains I will have a lot of fun at the beachbar ... and if I once again miss my room key or forget my float, someone will save it for me again before I notice at all that I've forgotten it.

One more thing: Most Jamaicans are really very poor. Tip as a 'thank you for good service' is never required here, but it is very welcome and really helpful.

... and no, I do not work for the hotel, this is not a fake review, I'm just a guest of the hotel, I know it well and I always don't like to go back home.

Room Tip: Don't miss a trip with the Wild Thing Catamaran to the Half Moon Beach, Negril. And enjoy the ex...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

this was my first time in jamaica, so i decided to stay at the sister resort, Sunset on the cliffs. However on arrival in Montego bay I called th hotel ( Sunset on the Cliffs) only to be told by a very nice well spoken lady that Sunset on the cliffs was closed because the bar and the kitchen had to be closed. No explination as to what the cause of the closure, but that I was welcome to stay at the sister resort Sunset on the Beach and they were expecting me. I had booked a superior ocean view room at the Cliffs and i was assured that I would get the same when I got to the Beach location.

So imagine my dismay when i arrived at the Sunset on the Beach location to be told that my Superior ocean view room with my queen sized bed and all inclusive breakfast was not an option and I was getting a "garden view" room with double beds. I was told that if i did not like that option i was welcome to go up to the Sunset on the Cliffs location, sleep there and have travel arrangements made to ferry me to breakfast at the Beach location. All that travel for some food and a view was not worth it to me at that time and i was told i would have to wait until 4 days after my trip was over before i could get the room that i paid for. too make it worse, they did not even discount the price of my room for the inconvinience caused or offer any other ideas on how to fix my delima. They young lady at the counter was a very sweet and helpful individual but i felt exceptionally slighted. :(

The security guard then escorted me to my room, through a nonexistant garden, up stairs that could have used a few coats of paint and to my room. The view from the front door of my room was of a tangle of bush, over and undergrowth, Trees and rubbish left behind. On entering the room my heart dropped even more because everything in the room was OLD. The furniture looked like it came from someones grandmothers house, the beds from a dorm room with a quick slap of paint on them, the linen was clean but older than I am, rough and thin. The shelving in the front hallway closet was leaning and the safe lock came out of its housing when i put the key in it!!!!!! madness! The bathroom window had slats that were chipped and ill fitting with some sort of chicken wire over it to keep out lizards i am assuming and the chest of drawers had no properly fitting drawers and an strong musty smell. The air condition unit was working but a whole section of the bottom was broken off.

The television was a small one and was not working so they had to fetch another one and then get another remote for the sircondition and the Television because that was not working. Shouldnt this have been done before your guests get there? The door the balcony had a peep hole and a security chain which was fine but that type of door should be the main door entrance and the door to come into my room was the door that you should have on the balcony. But the room was clean and so was the bathroom so i was happy with that... at least.

The breakfast the next morning was lovely. i had the jamaican breakfast and my server Stacey was one of the sweetest persons i met. she was extremely attentive to me, i never had to ask her for refills or any type of service she was always there at my elbow asking me if i needed anything. She did all this while attending to 6 other patrons and never missed a beat. Pay this lady some more money and keep her year round please! i work in customer service and she definately can teach a class! i had Millicent the next day and she was fab as well, making sure I was comfortable and telling me about jamaica and where i could go. Both women were great, and made rough start at the hotel somewhat forgetable. However on the last day i was there the two guys that were serving that morning were not the best, people had to get up and go to the bar to get their own drinks, they forgot to give straws with the drinks and took up to 30 mins to serve my breakfast and forgot another woman all together and over charged another guest. Keep them but please retrain them.

Over all i would stay here again, but the management needs to seriously put some work into their property. everything had a rundown old feel and look to it and concidering that you have such a nice location you could do alot better. Your staff ( the ladies especially) were very very nice and helpful, (whoever cleaned my room everyday you were great too), but when you have to stay in rooms that are not up to par with what you advertise ( you have lovely proffessional pictures boasting great rooms) people will write rotten reviews.

Room Tip: go for the rooms with views!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo