“Don't expect much!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 91 hotels in Negril
Vancouver, Canada
“Don't expect much!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Between the noise from the street, price, a fire alarm in our that went off multiple times 2 nights in a row at 3 & 4am and lack of a "meeting" area I would not recommend this location. The yoga was nice- 930-1030 daily but you don't have to stay there to participate. I was a little confused as to how you can call a place that only has yoga once a day a yoga 'centre' and they should offer a better rate for those staying at the centre ( $10 for those staying there $15 if not) The grounds we well kept but nothing special and though the food was okay it was over priced and the kitchen staff a little surly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Such a great vacation. We loved Negril, the people, the food, and the yoga centre was the perfect retreat. The daily yoga was a great way to start the day, followed by an amazing home cooked breakfast. Looking forward to the next trip

• Stayed December 2012
Negril Yoga Cen... J, Front Office Manager at Negril Yoga Centre, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to have you staying with us so many times, and made your stay a wonderful one.

Blessings,
Ciscene
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I attended one of the daily yoga classes which started at 9.30am. The cost was $15 since I was non resident. Fanette gave me the confidence to attempt poses I had not attempted before so I left feeling extra pleased with myself as well as relaxed. The gardens are beautifully kept and the yoga space relaxing and clean being outside cats stayed to watch lazily. Near the main road you are aware of the traffic noise but this did not make my experience any less enjoyable since I was doing yoga outdoors in Jamaica insted of in a studio in the cold east End of London. Fanette also does a class at 8am at The Rock House for those early birds or nayone keen to do two classes.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Richmond, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

You need to know that the Yoga Center is directly located on the main street, so you will hear all the street noises throughout the day and at night. In addition, you will hear party noises from nearby hotels and restaurants at night.

Nevertheless, the property is rather beautiful with hammocks, beautiful birds, yoga cats, and Golden, a Ridgeback. A guard insures safety at night, and will also sell you what you need. The staff is kind and accommodating and Yoga takes places daily. The beach is across the street and restaurants are nearby.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed there for 3 days. Everything went well and cool. The place is really nice and looks like a big garden with rooms inside it. The food is expensive and you can find better and cheaper food downtown. We had problems with the shower every day but that's the only "bad" thing that happened There. The massages are cheaper than at the places by the beach ($65) and they charge $10 for the yoga lessons, but you can do your yoga by yourself and they will give you a mat. I'd come back for sure.

• Stayed December 2012
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The Negril Yoga Centre was exactly what I was looking for my winter escape and a week of relaxation in the Caribbean sun and sea. I’d like to thank previous reviewers for their accurate descriptions and the amazing staff at the yoga center to make this happen. This was my first trip to Jamaica and Negril and I was a bit worried about the noise other reviews mentioned and Negril’s reputation as a party and resort place. The very idea of a resort scares me and while I do like to party once in a while that’s not what I wanted for this trip. The yoga center made it possible to escape this all. It is true that you can hear loud music at night (earplugs do not help), but it only bothered me the very first night; thereafter I slept through (all and every night), presumably tired from too much relaxation, sun bathing and swimming. It seems like you literally get attuned to it.
The location is ideal: two minutes from the beach (just across the street) and 5-10 minutes walk to town. I liked the fact that the yoga centre is not directly on the beach, but provides a break from the beach action. The garden setting is wonderful. I spent a lot of time in the hammock on the veranda of Likle 2. It might be their smallest room, but perhaps also their prettiest with its private secluded veranda. If you don’t mind sharing a bathroom, it’s perfect for a solo traveler. Going by myself for just a few days, I would always book Likle 2 again (I would not recommend it for a couple; it’s definitely too small for two people). In case I get really lucky though and can come back for an extended period of time, I’d probably book a room with a kitchen. Annette’s cooking is fabulous, but the kitchen closes at 3 pm and it’s not cheap (expect prices to be comparable to those in the US). I was a bit surprised about how much cash I needed in Negril; the yoga centre does not take credit cards for food or yoga -not a big deal but good to know in advance for someone who is used to paying with credit card for everything.
I’m not exactly new to yoga, but haven’t practiced for many years. One of the reasons for my trip was to find an easy way to get into yoga again after a shoulder injury and a long period of no exercise at all. It worked! Fanette is a wonderful and very experienced teacher; she made me feel very comfortable in spite of my rather bad shape. After a week of daily yoga my shoulder almost regained its original range of mobility. I highly recommend her classes for all levels; most people attending were a lot more advanced than me, but that did not matter; classes were small and Fanette provided a lot of personal attention. Her one-hour routine works heavily on shoulders and lower back, perfect for those of us who are spending too much time sitting in front of a computer at home.
I have stayed in many “rustic” or “simple” places around the world the Negril Yoga Centre is not one of them. They provide 24 hours security (I brought my laptop), wifi (at least close to the office), hot showers (varies from ‘occasionally’ to ‘most of the time’ depending on your room and season I suppose), excellent cooking, a beautiful well-maintained garden and very comfortable accommodations. That’s not what I’d call “roughing it” in Jamaica; rather, except to be spoiled.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

The Negril Yoga Center is a very special place, and I will definitely return. The simplicity makes it a perfect place to escape from stress. It is small and intimate. The staff (Martine, Claudette and Earl) were such genuine,kind people. As a solo female traveler, I felt very safe and nurtured there.

The grounds were well kept, with beautiful gardens and trees. I loved the hammocks. You can walk to the beach across the road, where there are chairs available and also a restaurant/bar. While the beach was nice, I always enjoyed returning to the to the sanctuary of the resort. It's such a peaceful place to be, away from the hustlers and tourists on the beach.

I stayed in Casa 3, which I would choose again. It has french doors that open to a patio. There is a small table inside to sit and eat or read. It has a private bath with a shower. They are eco-conscious, and use solar heated water for showers. Some reviews mention the lack of water pressure, which was accurate, although I did have hot water each day. It was adequate for my needs and fit with the vibe of the place. If you're looking for 5 star, this may not be to your liking. I found it a worthwhile compromise for the quality of the overall experience.

For a good night's sleep, bring ear plugs. Reggae music is ubiquitous in Jamaica, and especially Saturday night, music could be heard late into the night from a nearby resort.

The food was healthy and delicious. I enjoyed the fresh carrot/beet juice. Claudette's Lentil Stew was my favorite dish. The accommodations are basic but very clean and comfortable.
There is air conditioning available for a small extra charge, but I didn't need it. The fan kept me comfortable, despite the heat and humidity of the rainy season.

I took several yoga classes during my 5-day stay. The teacher, Fanette, was wonderful. She teaches Iyengar style yoga. I'm an experienced yoga student, but I learned some useful tips from her in refining my approach to basic poses and breathing. The open air yoga studio is enjoyable. There weren't any props available, but they provide yoga mats.

Martine arranged for me to have a massage, which was fantastic. She also arranged transportation to the Dolphin Cove about 30 minutes away.

It's probably not for everyone, but for me, I couldn't imagine anything better.

Room Tip: I loved Casa 3.