“Breathtaking Views, Beautiful Grounds, Amazing Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Home Sweet Home Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   West End Rd, Negril 20147, Jamaica   |
Ranked #29 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Peralta, New Mexico
“Breathtaking Views, Beautiful Grounds, Amazing Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed at Home Sweet Home in June 2013. After a disappointing stay on the beach side of town, we searched all over the west end for the best spot. Home Sweet Home was it! The grounds are beautiful, the views are amazing, and we were greeted with a friendly face and a rum punch! Every night we watched the sun set into the ocean from our balcony, during the day we watched the party boats float by - I'm sure they were envious of our prime spot! There is a beautiful stone stairway with various platforms that gives immediate access to the ocean for snorkeling and a floating platform in the ocean to just hang out on. The swimming pool is deep and refreshing and you can float in the pool and still watch the ccean. All of this would have been enough for a 5 star rating, but then we found out how great the staff is.
My husband had some medical issues which required a hospital stay about 45 min away. From the moment this 'crisis' started, Tina, the property manager, took control of the situation and handled everything. She stayed all night at the hospital, handled communication, arranged care of our children when we were at the hospital, problems with our rental car and countless other issues and problems as they arose. Much of this she did without me asking, she just took care of it. Chris & Percy drove me to the hospital, pharmacy and navigated me throughout the Jamaican hospital procedures & customs. I cannot thank them enough for giving us the support we needed to get through this time. Despite the unfortunate circumstances, I have wonderful memories of sitting on the balcony at Home Sweet Home, and snorkeling just below. When we go back to Jamaica, we will not stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Cliff Edge suite - perfect for Families. Kitchenette perfect for small meals and b...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
jttaylor63, Owner at Home Sweet Home Resort, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thanks you so much for your very sweet and wonderful review. We were all so happy to help when the medical situation arose with your husband and very glad that all ended up well. Supporting our guests during these types of circumstances is extremely important to us, as it can sometimes be a bit scary when away from home. Our best to you all! Very much hoping you and the family will come back and see us very soon. Thanks again! :o)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We loved our recent stay at the Home Sweet Home! My wife and I have been coming to Jamaica every year since we got married, 12 yrs. now, and have stayed on all parts of the island, and we really enjoyed our stay at the hotel. We stayed in one of the newer rooms, and it had a great view. Travel tip, if you go to Jamaica for peace and quiet, this is a place for you. Not only great views, the food was very good. Tina and the staff took care our every needs. Gave us suggestions as to where we could eat at other places, other than their hotel. They also gave suggestions to get the best spa treatments, (which we really enjoyed). This is a resort that I will be sure to go back too.

Room Tip: tip, if you go to Jamaica for peace and quiet, this is a place for you
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
jttaylor63, Owner at Home Sweet Home Resort, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Thank you so much! We really enjoyed having you both. It means so much to us to know that all we have done with the property so far this year provided you with a wonderful experience. We'll certainly pass along to our staff your thoughts and comments. Very happy they tended to all your needs and you have a home away from home. Really look forward to seeing you again soon. Take Care! :o)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I fell in love with the scenery at the home sweet home resort, it was in the cliff side so it was beautiful. The staff were truly genuine people, they were so friendly & nice. The food at the hotel was the best! It took kind of long cuz everything was made from scratch but if was worth the wait! The only thing that was uncomfortable in our room was that we had an attic room & it was pretty hot in there, & our room had no curtains which made sleeping in kind of difficult. But overall an amazing place.

• Stayed July 2013
Thanks you so very much for such a nice review. All of our staff really enjoy the guests and making their stay as wonderful of an experience as they can contribute. Our sincere apologies that the meals took a bit longer than expected, we are improving that process while still maintaining our 'fresh' made quality. Appreciate the feedback as well regarding the loft room and curtains, both of which are under review for a change. We hope to see you back again! Thank you and take care until then! :o)
St. Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This review is based upon stays during the last week of April, 2013 and the second week of June 2013. It is an honest representation and I have no agenda to promote.

Home Sweet Home(HSH) has been under new ownership for a few months now and the difference is amazing. Fresh coats of paint everywhere, landscaping is looking great, dining and bar area are in top shape. The plan is to constantly improve the property, on a daily basis.

For those who have never stayed at HSH we should first review the location of this wonderful property. HSH is located directly upon the cliffs of Negril in the area commonly referred to as “The West End”. The view from the hotel, and most of its rooms is simply spectacular. The hotel is by no means isolated and most things are an easy stroll or short taxi ride. For example, C&D CountryWestern Pub is about a two minute walk towards the roundabout. Yes, there is a CW Pub in Negril and the proprietor, Connie, is a hoot. See separate review…

The rooms-

In April, I stayed in Room 1 which was ground level. I am usually not a fan of ground floor rooms, but this was a very convenient room and the view of the ocean from the front porch was awesome. Noise was not an issue with the room, even though it is closest to the bar/restaurant and the street. In June, I stayed in Room 2, directly above Room 1. The view is even better from Room 2, and I liked the layout of the beds better.

The inside of the rooms are a pleasing salmon color with white cotton weaved coverlets instead of bedspreads. Perfect, as there is not really a need for a bedspread in the tropics, in my opinion! There were two double beds in the room and as a friend of mine who stayed at Legends commented, “HSH beds are much, much, much more comfortable!” The bathroom had a nice large shower, tiled floors and walls and some storage on a shelf above and to the right of the sink. Here is the only issue I had and for me it was really a non-issue. No matter how long I let the hot water run in the shower it only got lukewarm. I discussed this situation with other guests and they assured me they had hot water. This is a non-issue for me, as I prefer lukewarm showers in the tropics. There is no fridge in the room.

The rooms were spotlessly cleaned daily, and, you may even find your clothes picked up and folded if you carelessly leave them lying around! The housekeeping staff is very efficient and very pleasant. The rooms were always cleaned well before noon. There is a safe in the room and adequate space to store your clothes and gear. The air conditioning in the room did its job in keeping the room cold and the humidity low.

The Restaurant/Bar-

I don’t know if the Restaurant/Bar has a name! There are 8 or so stools at the bar and 6 or so 4seater tables. Really, just enough space to accommodate all the guests when at full capacity. Which, is just fine by me. The seating area has spectacular views of the ocean and is open to the breeze. The bar is fully stocked and able to make almost any drink, including all of the popular frozen drinks. The bartenders are wonderful and provide excellent service. Monty and Latoya really enjoy their job and it shows!

The kitchen is manned by TerryAnn who is a FANTASTIC chef. Whatever you wish, whether on the menu or not, will be prepared for you at a reasonable price! For example, if you want a breakfast item not on the menu, such as a rundown, simply ask the day before and you will have it at your next breakfast! The specials, are wonderful and always incredibly fresh. One dinner was fresh caught tuna, grilled and topped with champagne sauce and served with grilled fresh vegetables. How did I know the tuna was fresh? I watched the fisherman bring the whole tuna to the kitchen! It doesn’t get any fresher than that. Never have had a bad meal here and the banter between the staff is hilarious! Also, Ronald is a new chef at HSH and his Red Stripe-battered snapper and fries was perfect. I cannot think of a more pleasant and peaceful place to spend time checking email, eating and simply gazing out at the sea.

The grounds-

The resort is located upon the cliff overlooking the sea. There are steps carved into the cliff and sunbathing areas, just big enough for two loungers, halfway and just a bit further down. The steps end at a landing with a ladder into the sea. Or, you can jump from a few different places at varying heights! The snorkeling is OK here and there is a “relaxation station” floating party pad just offshore. It is here that there is a better concentration of fish. However, if you want the best snorkeling in Negril, you will have to take a boat ride out to the reef. It is a beautiful boat ride from the resort to the reef and back. The resort will be happy to arrange this for you. Famous Vincent would be my recommendation for boat captain for this journey

The footpaths are mostly natural stone and the grass is getting nice and thick again.

There is a gated entrance to the property, and after 9pm the gate is kept closed and there is uniformed security on the premises to monitor the gate. The property is very safe and secure.

The property has fast and strong WiFi throughout.

There is a pleasant, and surprisingly deep swimming pool with a fantastic view of the ocean. The pool was kept spotlessly clean. There is also a Jacuzzi tub and it was kept spotless as well. The pool deck can get hot during the middle of the day, so be sure and bring footwear.

The Staff-

Here is the real gem of this resort, the staff. The General Manager is Tina who has excellent training and education in the hospitality industry. All of the staff work together to determine how, on a daily basis, they can make the guests more comfortable. The staff will know your names within moments of your arrival and will quickly learn your preferences in activities, food, drink, etc…Its not intrusive or patronizing, but rather it exhibits a genuine concern for the happiness of the guests and a desire to the best job that they can. Every staff member’s goal is to serve the guests to the best of their ability and they really do.

Conclusion-

I have stayed at many properties in Negril over the last 20 years. Home Sweet Home is my favorite hotel on the cliffs and is tied for my favorite hotel in Negril. I cannot imagine a trip to Negril when I wouldn’t stay at HSH. Any questions, feel free to message me.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
jttaylor63, Owner at Home Sweet Home Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you so very much for your review of Home Sweet Home Resort. We're so thrilled to read that you had such an amazing experience the two times you've visited this year. We always strive to create memorable vacations for our guests and we're so happy that we were able to achieve that goal for you. I will be sure to forward your review to our staff. They will be so proud to hear of your kind mention. We can't wait to welcome you back for another incredible experience!!!!!!! Thank you again!
Nine Mile Falls, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I had an absolutely wonderful and amazing stay at Home Sweet Home. The staff was very attentive, personable and hospitable; always ensuring I had everything I needed to truly enjoy my stay. The new owners, John and Kim, are dedicated to creating an environment tailored to making everyone’s vacation experience as memorable as possible. I cannot thank them enough for making my short time at their hotel one of the most relaxing, fun and memorable experiences I have had traveling. I took in the wonderful snorkeling just down the stairs of the hotel as well as on the nearby reef, visited the gorgeous white sand beaches, the night life and a bit of shopping. It is important to note that the new owners have made many upgrades to the property and continue to improve the beautiful hotel they have recently taken over. They have completed a new addition and are updating throughout the property. You can expect to embrace the Jamaican culture a lot closer by staying here than at a high end touristy resort. I prefer to experience the culture as close as I can and Home Sweet Home gives you that in a safe, comfortable and beautiful location. Lastly I have to add that the views are truly amazing here at Home Sweet Home as it sits right on the ocean and offers some of the most beautiful sunsets.

Room Tip: I stayed in the executive suite. It was very spacious and the large deck was perfect for relaxing an...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
jttaylor63, Owner at Home Sweet Home Resort, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! So glad you had such a great time. And, what an awesome arrival activity, snorkeling right off the property and seeing the baby sea turtle which appears so far to be enjoying living in the coral, we've named him Jr. :o) We can' t wait for you and the boys to come, they will have a blast! See you soon!
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This was my first visit to Negril, and Home Sweet Home made it a great experience. Even before reaching to the resort the owners were accommodating and willing to assist me with all the troubles I received from my flight. Finally making it to the resort, I was greeting with a cool towel which helped with the heat and the rum punch was a great start.

The view of the cliffs from Home Sweet Home is one of a kind. My girlfriend was able to see Dolphins and Sea Turtles, which she constantly mentions we must pay to see at our local aquarium or Sea World in Florida. My girlfriend and I was willing to pay $35 each to snorkel and view coral from a glass bottom boat. Well Home Sweet Home rent flippers and snorkels for only $5, so we saved $65 by renting theirs and snorkeling all day. My cousin also traveled to Negril with me and he frowned upon his resort for charging him to make outgoing phone calls and even to use an iron and ironing board. All were free at Home Sweet Home..

The staff is phenomenal! I have hospitality background so I can be a tough judge when dealing with hotels and resorts. Tina is very knowledgable and caring, Monty is the jokester we all love, Samanthia is sweet and helpful, and not to forget Chris the resorts driver. Chris was our first impression of Home Sweet Home because he picked us up from the airport. He gave us history of the small towns leading to the resort and he was always close by if we needed to go anywhere. Chris is like that favorite uncle growing up.

My family will stay here every time we visit Negril. Anyone who decides to stay here will not be disappointed. Most important, it's affordable.

Room Tip: Rooms #11 and 12 have incredible views. My favorite.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for such a glowing review. We are very appreciative for your thoughts being in the industry and welcome them. Everyone had such a nice time with you both and can't wait for your return. Take Care!
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

So my husband I travel often, and I try to manage my expectations. I was able to do so at this hote l and enjoy myself, but it was tough.

Rooms: very run down, old, tiny old tv, shoddy air conditioning, plumbing issues, really unappealing bathrooms.

Location: Amazing. Hilltop over the water with ledges cut out in the cliffs.

Staff: Very nice however, there is not 24 hour (probably not even 12 hour) staff available. Only one tiny restaurant attached which kept "Jamaican hours" so I waited every day to get coffee til they showed up. Nowhere else to get food or drinks unless you walked ten minutes down the road to a convenient store. Not even bottled water in the rooms. It was very difficult. Front desk was amazing, but she also was there reduced hours so if you have an issue when she is not there you are in trouble. The owner, a Canadian I believe, lives there now and moves from empty room to empty room but he seems like he is vacationing mostly. He is helpful and very very nice, but doesnt do much to make your stay special.

Food: The one restaurant there, which is not owned by the hotel, has great food but very small selection and limited hours and quantity. What is nice is you can ask for something the day before (like oxtail or lobster) and they will bring it. However, my husband was limited to the same dinner every night as he does not explore with food and he basically had to eat steak or burgers prepared the same every day.

Overall, the hotel is rundown and needs major renovations. It is cheap, for sure, but it is too inconvienient right not to be worth the savings. They need more amenities and be around more for guests needs. The pool is small (smalller than a backyard pool) and not really kept clean enough. There is no first aid (I fell and hurt my arm and they did not have as much as a bandaid on property).

My advice, save your money for a later time and go to a better hotel. I am not very finicky on vacation but there are just some things you cannot go without, and this hotel is not up to standards yet. It is unfortunate as the location is perfect. Just like The Caves down the road, but definitely not even comparable.

Room Tip: If you are going, get the most expensive room with the view and outdoor hammok. We were in the cate...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
jttaylor63, Owner at Home Sweet Home Resort, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
We are very sorry to hear about your experiences last year prior to the change in ownership. As the new owners, we sincerely hope you will return to see for yourself that we have addressed all of your issues and concerns. Please considering reading the reviews from guests who have stayed with us this year and experienced the new Home Sweet Home for an idea of how we are doing so far...

Been to Home Sweet Home Resort? Share your experiences!