“Beautiful Mother-daugther stray at " home sweet home"” 4 of 5 stars

Home Sweet Home Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   West End Rd, Negril 20147, Jamaica   |
Ranked #25 of 91 hotels in Negril
Houston, Texas
“Beautiful Mother-daugther stray at " home sweet home"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

"Home sweet home" is not an high end resort in price but has unique comfortable offereings! The location, the staff, the caring service and safe!! A great place to relax, get bonded with family.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
charlielunch, Owner at Home Sweet Home Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Thanks a lot guys for you review, hoping to see you again.

241 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
philadelphia, pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

I'm surprised this place isn't rated higher on Trip Advisor. What this place is not: a high end, cushy, ultra prestige all-inclusive. What it is: a unique, secure place to stay where the road is dotted with locals and their little businesses; very comfortable, clean, friendly place to really relax and enjoy reggae while sipping on Coladas from a hammock or lounge chair perched on the edge of some of the most beautiful cliffs in Negril. Its a small place so you get to know the other guests a little in your comings and goings. Like a big resort, the staff are helpful, but here, they know you by name and service is personal. Snorkeling(only $5/day) and high jumping right off the cliffs in your own backyard can't be beat. Skip the same old beach experience that Seven Mile beach offers in Negril and experience something truly unique that you don't find at a lot of beach destinations.

This trip was an early graduation gift for my daughter. As 2 females staying alone here, I felt very safe and attended to. We used Chris, the hotel's recommended driver, for airport transfers. We only had 3 days and we used his recommendation our only excursion:Mayfield Falls. It was a long, bumpy 3 hour drive RT into the Blue Mountains, but so worth it! Closer and just as interesting as Dunn Falls.

TIPS:Unless you stay at an all-inclusive, bring lots of cash for tipping,taxis and to pay locals(I hadn't and had to get more from an ATM.) Don't rent a car-poor roads and crazy drivers. Take taxis and only the ones with red tags are legally insured taxis.
A fun Saturday night meal is down the road at the Sea Star Inn. It's about $18pp for an okay buffet but live local reggae bands and the following drum performance at 9pm is a phenomenal experience!

• Stayed April 2012
Thanks so much for your wonderful review.
Chicago area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

Our last visit was this past January. I know, it took me awhile to post this review. We have NEVER had a bad stay at this property. The weather cooperated and there were smooth seas our entire stay. We love the easy access into the water and the spectacular views. This property gives you waterfront views and one of the closest rooms to the sea. The pool is always clean and very cozy. Guests gather around the pool, at the bar and on the property, to talk and have fun. Since there are few rooms, you get to know the guests staying, which makes it feel like home. Also, the staff know who you are and are always friendly and welcoming. No wonder this place is called "Home Sweet Home". Charlie (owner) was there this time. It's nice to know the owner is hands-on. The resort was almost fully booked and there were some very talented guests. At sunset, they would gather by the bar with their guitars and voices. What a great way to see the sunset in Negril! Charlie would bring his guitar too:) Ok, I could go on and on. I have been coming to Negril for 19 years and my husband for 29. When picking a place to get married, we could think of no other place than Negril. We have stayed in several places over the years. We love this one!!!
See you this winter Charlie.
David and Karen
Chicago area

Room Tip: We love the rooms close to the water and pool. It doesn't really matter, as the property is coz...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

I was at Home Sweet Home in January 2012 and had such a wonderful time that I went back for 2 more weeks in March. The resort was still amazing, wonderful food and you won't find nicer people than Charlie and the staff! If you need to get away for some much needed rest and relaxation, this is the place to go. Thanks again Charlie and everyone for a really great time. I'll see you all soon.

Room Tip: The penthouse is still my favorite, the views are just beautiful and watching the sunsets on the dec...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

Our week stay at HSH was enjoyable and an overall great experience. The views are amazing. You could sit and relax on the oceanfront platforms or hang-out on your balcony to experience the beauty of Jamaica. The courtyard is cute and inviting and provides lots of room to relax in privacy. It is located in the heart of the local community with easy access to numerous awesome local restaurants and shops. A short cab ride or accessible walk has you in the heart of Negril or on the seven mile beach. We never felt threatened or scared to walk the streets, even in the pitch black as we returned from restaurants. The beach was crowded and we were offered a variety of illegal items for sale probably 50 times in the 2 hours we were there. It was great to hang-out on the beach, but even better to return to the quiet and privacy of HSH when we were done with the beach harassment and noise. The rooms were basic, but one needs to understand they are in a third world country and paying extremely reasonable room rates for this area. Paying $80/night does not get you $400/night accommodations or luxury. Coming to Jamaica and expecting five star rooms at third world prices is unreasonable - you also can't truely experience Jamaica from a five star resort so HSH provided a great opportunity to explore the local community. The rooms are more than adequate, extremely clean and the beds were really comfortable. Walking past the lines of people waiting for buses in the heat was well worth getting HSH to organize a ride for us and it didn't cost any more than the people being crowded into buses for delivery to the different resorts. We drove straight to Negril without making numerous stops at the different resorts to drop passengers off (we have taken the bus option previously and direct is the way to go). All the staff at HSH were extremely helpful and accommodated any request we made. We appreciated the service we received. We loved the resort and had a great time taken in all that the local Jamaican community had to offer. Come to Jamaican wanting to find the happiness and love that exists in the community and you will find it. Come with unreasonable demands and looking to be waited on and you won't enjoy your vacation no matter where you travel - stay at home and go to a spa. Loved the country, loved the people and would return to HSH on my next visit. Thanks HSH for the great vacation!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

I stayed at Home Sweet Home for one night and I was so glad it was one night. The view is gorgeous and the property is kept clean but the room is very out dated and my room door had a crack from top to bottom which you could lay in the bed and see outside without opening the door. I hated the bathroom the shower curtain had many holes and tears in it, the towels looked very old and used even.The water pressure in the shower was very very low... I could not wait to get out, which is a shame becaue the property is very clean and the view is great.

I would not advice anyone to spend the money staying there, because you can find better for the same price or less. I will not be returning to that place.

Room Tip: Maybe the one by the cliffs..
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Houston,Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

We were in Jamaica celebrating my daughter's 33rd birthday. This was my daughter's first trip to Jamaica and she wanted a small property on the cliff side of the island. While I always make sure that I spend money with the locals and explore local spots when I am on an island vacation, I usually stay at 4-5 star all inclusive properties directly on the beach. I couldn't believe that she wanted to go to an island and not be on the beach, but she is my baby and whatever she wanted for her birthday was fine for me. I am SOOO glad she selected Home Sweet Home! Since the water is so close to you it feels like you are sitting in the water. And you can hear the waves crashing against the cliffs 24/7. Talk about hypnotic.

Prior to our arrival, we spoke to Charlie the owner a few times and when we arrived on property he made us feel like family. We stayed 6 days and before the end of day 2 we were planning our return visit. There are only a few rooms and you feel as if you are in your own private home. We stayed in the Cliffside, room 11. I was on the top floor where I had a gorgeous view of the sea from my bed while my daughter and her oldest friend had beds on the bottom floor. Both floors had a balcony.

We were greeted at the airport by Chris, our driver, who was so kind and helpful. As soon as we arrived we dropped our bags and moved to the resturant, where Gladston gave us the low down on the menu. From the resturant we were treated to a beautiful sunset which made me cross Rick's off my destination list:) We ate breakfast there every morning and the girls had Banana Flambe most evenings. For lunch, try the Jamaican Stirfry. Prices are reasonable, food filling and tasty. Winston and Garth and Henry were ab fab and also made us feel like family! Housekeeping cleaned our room daily and every need that we had from securing recommendations about nearby waterfalls and horseback riding to securing onsite massages were meet with smiles from Alice in the front office

We never turned on the a/c. We opened the windows and the balcony doors and the breezes were grand. The girls turned on their fans and that was adequate. I was lulled to sleep by the crashing waves. OMG! One day of my stay I sent the girls off for an island tour with Chris and I left the room only for breakfast and to swim in the pool. I sat on the balcony, read, slept, meditated, slept and read somemore. We went to 7 mile beach one day and had a great time. We weren't approached to buy anything. I did observe vendors approach some people but when they were told "No" they moved on. We weren't "pestered" once during our trip. I think that people get what they expect. If you expect to be bothered you will be. If you think that biz people that are trying to make a living to support themselves and their families may ask you to buy their wares, you can respectfully explore the opportunity or not. The girls went out into the neighborhood daily without fear. They were treated respectfully and have new Facebook friends.

Make sure that you try some local food. If you exit HSH and turn right and walk a bit down the street you will find the BGrill which has awesome food prepared by Chef Roy.

I have not one complaint about Home Sweet Home, the location, room, staff, grounds or the view. Everything was fabulous! Yes. it is an older property but it has great character and the name fits. It goes down in my book as yet another reason that Jamaica is my favorite vacation destination.

Room Tip: The closer to the cliffs the better!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Home Sweet Home Resort? Share your experiences!