“Will go back every year!! Home away from home..:)” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Firefly Beach 30% Off
Ranked #38 of 91 hotels in Negril
Plymouth, Illinois, United States
“Will go back every year!! Home away from home..:)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed from Jan. 29-Feb. 8th 2013 and enjoyed every minute. I always went to mexico, every year. I will always return to Firefly every year from now on. I've never felt so at home or safe as i did at Firefly. They are all so welcoming. Made many new friends that return at the same time every year, i will now be one of them :) The staff, including security, make sure you are taken care of and safe. The room i had was very clean, keep in mind, it is not a fancy resort. It's more like your first apartment, cute, comfy, like home. You have a bath, kitchen,bedroom, in the style room i had. There are less expensive rooms also. All accomedations are clean and decorated the way you would expect in Jamaica in one of the oldest hotels in Negril. The beach is just fabulous!! There is nudity,Cheap entertainment...LOL!! Some are nude, most are not. People aren't up walking around nude, just while laying in the sun. I saw some negative comments on here. I have to say, you can't please everyone...so keep that in mind ;) I had the BEST vacation i've ever had at Firefly. No issues what so ever, no mold, no bugs, always had hot water, clean room every day. One day i didn't do my dishes, the lady that cleaned my room, did my dishes. Now i call that service :) I saved alot of money cooking my own meals, so i could stay longer. I keep going on and on, i just can't say enough about my fabulous vacation. This is the first review i've ever written. They deserve a great review....I snorkled, took a boat ride on Black River, had the best time. This is a laid back, relaxing kinda place, guess that's why so many return year after year. Another great thing about their area of the beach, there are some trees, so you can lay back in your lounger in the shade when you;ve had enough sun. There are vendors that walk the beach, you have to try the rum ice cream, the best. Also the fresh squeezed juices they sell are fantastic. There are many restaurants on the beach, you never have to leave the area for anything, except to just explore. You will want to bring a hair dryer ;) The only thing i wore for 10 days was my bikinis and cover ups, never wore shoes but one time when i went to the grocery store. I've been to 5 star resorts in Mexico, i'd rather stay at Firefly anyday! Hello to you all at firefly, I am thinking of coming back in April. Hope to see you soon. Tina Grafton Sargent, Plymouth, Illinois . PS. Next Jan. I am planning to stay a month. I'm so excited!!!

Room Tip: If you want to save money, get a room with a kitchen. Still cheaper than eating out three times a da...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

121 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Delta Junction, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I went to Negril for a 25th anniversary escape. We had a fantastic visit. We spent two nights at Firefly. Our accommodations were clean, comfortable and fit our needs. However, though we knew it was a "nudity accepted" establishment, we really were uncomfortable with the non-stop nudity. The other guests were not reserved about their nudity and seemed bothered by our clothing. In fact, they were pretty flagrant about being nude. It made these old prudes feel really uptight. The staff were all very pleasant and wanted our stay to be enjoyable. The restaurant is incredibly slow but so are many other establishments. Just be prepared to wait about an hour before you see a scrap of food or a a drink and you will won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Talk to the staff and they will fix you up with the best they can based on the occupancy.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Booking:
My wife and I and our three children (aged 12, 10 and 7) stayed at Firefly from 08/02 to 15/02 2013. We checked pricing etc on Firefly's website and booked our stay direct with Firefly rather than through a booking agent. The booking process was managed professionally and efficiently and Firefly kindly organised our airport transfers, booked us a table at Ivan's for dinner on our first night, and arranged transport for us to and from the restaurant.

Accommodation/location:
Our rooms at Firefly were simply but adequately furnished, clean (serviced daily), and our beds were very comfortable. You really don't want to be spending too much time in your room when you are at Firefly though. This is because Firefly is situated pretty much bang in the middle of the most beautiful beach and you can access it by strolling through a lovely, well-tended garden in under a minute. If this sounds too arduous, Firefly have rooms even closer to the beach than where we stayed so you might want to request one of these! Firefly's section of beach has a lovely shaded area (complete with a couple of hammocks) and there are plenty of sun loungers to go around.

Food:
If you normally stay at a hotel with a restaurant or at an all-inclusive resort and are concerned about food arrangements you needn't be. We ate breakfast at Firefly each morning, enjoyed lunch at Sun Beach (right next door to Firefly), Best in the West and Ossie's (both a short walk from Firefly on Norman Manley Boulevard) and also bought food on the beach (lobster, fresh fruit, Niah's patties, delicious fresh fruit juice etc). For dinner, there are lots of restaurants on the beach, and on the cliffs, and staff at Firefly are very happy to help you make a reservation and sort transport if you need it. Doing things this way will add variety and fun to your holiday dining experiences and put you in control of where and what you eat and when.

Staff:
We found the owners and staff at Firefly to be very professional, courteous and friendly and they clearly work very hard to ensure that their guests have a lovely holiday. Firefly has been under the same continuous ownership for decades and, in our opinion, guests here clearly benefit from having such experienced and knowledgeable people in charge. In addition, lots of staff have worked at Firefly for a long time which tends to be indicative of a well-managed and happy place. At night time a security guard is deployed on the premises and we always felt safe.

Room Tip: Book directly with Firefly. This way you should get the best price and you will be able to ask spec...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Just spent a week at Firefly, and had the most wonderful time. If you go, make sure you set your expectations - this is a basic property, run by fantastic, friendly staff but IS NOT a resort-type place. We stayed in apartment 12 on the first floor, which has a bathroom, kitchen/dining area and then a small outside patio leading to the bedroom. The bedroom has two double beds and was comfortable with ceiling fans and AC (although we never used the AC). Plenty of storage, and table lamps. The Kitchen had a four ring gas stove with oven (no grill). Basic pots, pans, cutlery, crockery was provided. There is a table and four chairs in the kitchen for meals. The bathroom had a shower, sink (cold water only) and WC. This brings me to the first semi-gripe about the property, the water pressure in the shower was a joke, it was like standing under a dripping tap - this really needs sorting out, but the hot water is provided from a solar panel above the property, so only gravity was feeding it. The staff in the office were very friendly and courteous, they will arrange taxis, advise on restaurants etc, and they have a small library of books to borrow. Wifi was patchy at best, on some occasions I got a better signal from the neighboring property. The beach is gorgeous and Firefly has some of the only natural shade on the stretch in the form of some low trees, I only had to ask once for a sunbed as all others were occupied by towels (pisses me off). The beach are is clothing optional, but as others have said, only a small percentage of people take advantage. The beach bar was good for breakfast and drinks throughout the day. We stayed here as an alternative to the usual all-inclusive mega resorts that abound, but only do this if it is the experience you are after, as by the time you have paid for all your drinks and meals, you will not save money by going native (unless you cook for yourself extensively). We paid $110 per day, but I also spent approx. $150 on food, drinks and activities - this would give you a budget of $260 per day for an AI - which is very achievable around there. Still, wouldn't have missed it for the world. Irie mon.......

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
worldroamerII, Owner at Firefly Beach Cottages, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thanks for the kind review and for being guests of Firefly.
I'm sorry about the low water pressure that has affected Negril. For several years the mains pressure has been so good that our reserve tanks and pump were not required. Then, about 3 weeks ago, pressure dropped each night at about 9.45 so we had to use our pump. Possibly because it had not been used recently, after about 3 nights it failed. Our electrician came to do repairs at midnight and another time at 7 a.m. (it failed several times). It is working well now but new parts will be available and fitted in the next few days, for permanent repairs.
The solar water heating system does not depend on gravity, but on mains (or pump) pressure.

Being a non-all-inclusive hotel allows guests to try a great variety of restaurants, take-aways and bars at all price ranges, and to visit attractions across western Jamaica.

While there is no limit to what can be spent, it is also easy to eat well for a very modest amount in Negril.

I have just gone online to all the known all-inclusive resorts' own websites on Long Bay for quotations for February and found.
Not being sure I'm allowed to mention them by name, the closed one to us was $508 a day. Another one called Hedonism II was apparently fully booked and the other one had rates from $1292 up, with "Beachfront suite with private entrance" at $4020 per day.
As I write this I can see a cottage built on the sand with private entrance for a saving of more than $3800 every day this month.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Friendly personnel, very cooperative, polite. Wonderful vacation!!!
100- foot wide beach, relaxed atmosphere, not noisy at the restaurant next door at all.
Textiles walk by on the beach are somewhat surprised at the nude facility they're walking through, but they keep walking by and are not too disturbed in the end. Get naked or dress partially; it's great! Housekeepers and security are very nice to everyone, also. I stayed in one of the four low-cost Secrets cabins: no refrig or phone or kitchenette or bathroom (quaint and rustic), except for one night that I stayed in the Firefly section in a room where a kitchenette and bathroon and cable TV was standard. 15% discount after you've stayed once at Firefly. A massage is available, with a restaurant that serves only breakfast all day long, a spa and outside showers after a swim. Nice place.

Room Tip: Use taxis with a red licence plate only, Costs only $1 US to go pretty much anywhere on the strip...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Big Bear Lake, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We just got back from a one-week stay at the Firefly, staying in one of the little rustic cabins there. The staff is very friendly and efficient, Firefly is centrally located on the 7-Mile Beach giving you plenty of opportunities to walk north and south from here.

This place is "clothing optional" only at the beach/sea itself, the jacuzzi, and the patio of your cabin. Everywhere else here, even going up to the adjacent beach bar, you must cover up; women even have to put their tops on for this. This was probably the biggest disappointment of this place.

Speaking of the jacuzzi; the first night there the water was much too hot for us...must've been at least 105! If you'll let the office know by 5 PM you'd like to use the jacuzzi that night, be sure to ask that it's cooled down. For us, 99-100 is just right. They'll turn the heater off and/or add cool water as necessary for that.

Through no fault of Firefly, the restaurant/bar next door played loud music at night, so bring some earplugs to help you sleep.

There are a lot of beach vendors, but a simple "no" and walking away took care of most of them. I don't think it's as bad as some here may make it out to be. Some of them actually sell great products, the "fruit lady" with her fresh coconuts, mangos, and plantains is one. Another guy sells bakery products from his bicycle at very reasonable prices. Precooked lobster was 3 for $200J.

On the beach, unlike many other places there are several large trees here that will give you the necessary shade and coolness to lay on the lounge chair and just people-watch, read, or relax for hours, so we get out there early to claim our spot (leave a blanket on the chairs to "hold" it through the day.) Don't miss the Caribbean sunset from this point, either.

Bring plenty of sunblock AND insect repellent; we got bit mostly by the sand fleas that come out in the evening. Spray yourself good at your feet and lower legs!

There is actually a pretty nice outdoor mall, Time Square, about 1/2 mile south of here, with a bar/snack bar in the middle of it.

Downtown Negril is a half-hour walk south either on the highway (a bit unnerving at times due to the traffic) or down the beach (the last half gets a little tough due to the soft sand), or you can take a "route taxi" for $100J per person each way. Be sure it's a "route" taxi (not the regular taxi), AND agree on the price BEFORE you even get in!

Two places north of here is a pizza place with really good pizzas for under $200J for the two of us; we ate there two times. Margaritaville is about 6 places north; we went there for our last dinner in Jamaica.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Moose Jaw, Sask
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed at Firefly In November 2012 the same time another reviewer who titled her review "BEWARE" was a guest. I would like to state that her review( in my opinion) is simply unfair! We were in Room 2 believe it or not its not far from room 16 as i was locking my room i overheard room 16 guests(standing outside) discussing the option of just leaving the room unlocked so the kids could come and go, it seemed to me that the Jamaican was being used as a babysitter for the three boys! Also never once as guests at the same time did we ever hear of any theft that happened! If it had been my room one of the first things i would have done was let the other guests know.... ( you have to understand that by the 2nd day of your stay you are a sort of family not just a guest! ) Firefly is like our home away from home! Yes its dated, could probably use new mattresses, may have some mold (i have never seen any in the rooms i have been in) Yes there is a risk of theft (as in any hotel) its posted in the office and in your room that there is an option to keep valuables in the safe boxes in the office. Yes you can hear the traffic from the street early in the a.m. but think of the amazing pictures that can be taken when the sun is coming up and the beach is all but deserted! Yes there is locals selling an array of "goodies" on the beach a simple no thanks or a shake of your hand usually moves them along. Remember they are trying to make a living too ! The security guards at Firefly take their jobs seriously but are very willing to help with whatever you need! The front desk staff is Awesome High Five Ann-Marie. The cleaning staff is efficient, thorough and very friendly! The Hot tub could use some repair and maybe some fresh water....It is without a doubt the best location on the 7 mile beach! Its not for everyone, that is part of the charm of Firefly that keeps us coming back! If you plan to stay here go with an open mind and an open heart and i promise you'll leave a piece of each there on the beach waiting for your return year after year! Thank-you David , Audrey and all the wonderful staff for sharing Firefly with the rest of us that truly Love your little piece of paradise

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Firefly Beach Cottages? Share your experiences!