“Perfect in its own way” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Firefly Beach 30% Off
Ranked #38 of 91 hotels in Negril
Deal, United Kingdom
“Perfect in its own way”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My wife and I stayed for a week leaving 24 jan.

We booked last minute through trip advisor/expedia.

Firefly was charming and quirky.The owners Audrey and David (expat Brits) were absolutely lovely and couldn't be more helpful.We had a great week - location was perfect.

Pluses - awesome fresh coffee, trees right on the sand so you could get out of the sun, all the other guests very friendly and chatty.Room big and spacious with a separate kitchen / dining room.Good safety boxes to keep valuables in office.

Minuses - no water pressure in shower had to use outside shower.Expensive although we left booking to the last minute which is probably our own fault.

Negril in general - beautiful beach , lovely sea.Free music somewhere every night. Red Stripe is crap beer.Non stop hustling gets a pain. Standard of restaurant cooking not good generally.
The reef is amazing , beautiful wild life birds, flowers and big old manta rays coming right up to the beach. Watch out for exchange rates they give a rip off rate of J$120 to the £UK at the airport, the spot rate is 150!! A guy leaning against a wall in the town was giving 145 - much better!!

Overall perfect in its own Jamaican way. This is the first time we have been back to Negril for 30 years. I feel for the country but I suspect that decades of brain drain to North America and Europe has resulted in the old adage "anyone with any get up and go has got up and gone""

121 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Kingston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I am Jamaican born who grew up in the United States and has been living there for many years. However, I love Jamaica. My husband is a US citizen by birth. We have been travelling all over and for the last 5 years, my husband and I are use to staying at the All Inclusive hotels in Negril/Kingston because at first we thought we needed to get the know-how around town before we started moving about but it's been our 8th visit now and after getting to know Negril and what it has to offer, we decided that we were done with locking ourselves in.

Our friends Jammie and Andy who stayed at Firefly Beach Cottages told us that we would really love it there so we decided to give it a try.
When we just arrived Firefly, we were a bit nervous as it was the beginning of something new for both of us but after checking in and getting to know the staff and other guests that were staying there, We bacame very relaxed. I then knew that we had nothing to worry about by the way we were welcomed.

I was so amazed by the way the staff greeted us and made us feel like we were at home. They all know us by name by day 2 and the services offered was great. There was always someone there to help with whatever we needed to be done.
The housekeepers were excellent. The room was not as fancy as the larger hotels but it is lovely the way it is. I had the most delicious Jamaican breakfast in 8 years at their Mini Bar.

I now feel like I have a home to go in Jamaica each year and I am looking forward to going back again and again.

Room Tip: Not all the rooms have Ac so if you really need to have AC you need to make it known.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sashorn J, Guests Relations Officer at Firefly Beach Cottages, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out to express and relate the wonderful experience you’ve had while staying with us. We are happy to know that you found it to be a lovely place and fell in love with what we are offering. We're definately looking to have you with us again as you have expressed and to make it even better the next time around.
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

My wife have just returned from an amazing weeks holiday at this most unique place .The room was spacious clean and well appointed. From the minute we got up in the morning and went for a stroll along the beach to walking home still barefoot from eating out at the many delightful beach front resteraunts in the evening, the place was a complete joy. The owners and staff
were very pleasant, attentive and efficient. The other guests were interesting to meet and chat
with. The beach vendors were not a problem to us. Infact the fruit juice, fresh fruit and lobster offered were delicious. A polite No to the offers for Snorking were accepted and move on.
We will most deffinatly return to Firefly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
worldroamerII, Owner at Firefly Beach Cottages, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Thank you R.... and J.... for your comments. You discovered the essence of both Negril and Firefly - the unique ambiance and the other wonderful guests. We look forward to your return.
David and Audrey.
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

My vacation in Negril was originally scheduled for 6 days. This was my first time in Jamaica & I began my trip in the West End, staying at both Rockhouse & Tensing Pen. I really enjoyed these resorts staying in the cliffs of Negril w/ the beautiful sunsets & gorgeous scenery.

Towards the end of my stay, I decided I wanted to extend my vacation -- by 3 weeks! I was supposed to go to Vegas after Jamaica, but after experiencing paradise for 6 days, I couldn't bare the thought of leaving it for the artificial reality of Las Vegas. So the day before I was scheduled to leave, I set out to find affordable accommodations for the next 3 weeks on 7 Mile Beach.

I checked out a few places, when a local directed me to Firefly. In my opinion, this is probably the best location on 7 Mile Beach. It's centrally located w/ direct beach access to the warm, turquoise waters. I met Ann Marie (who runs the show) & on short notice she worked out my stay, putting me in several different rooms bc there were no rooms available for 3 weeks straight. I welcomed the opportunity to stay in different rooms even though I had to change rooms 4 times. I enjoyed the variety of accommodations that Firefly offers, from the cabins (where there's no bathroom but you use the community showers/bathrooms. It's no problem, Mon! Easy access w/ hot water), to the larger rooms w/ kitchenettes & bathroom.

I stayed from Dec 2 - Dec 22, & the weather was perfect: mid-80s & sunny! I was traveling alone, but this is a great place for couples. There are a lot of repeat customers who stay for long periods of time, & it was fun settling into a routine & making friends here. Everyone is so welcoming & knows your name by Day 2. It's really amazing & truly feels more like a community than a hotel. It felt like my home away from home & I would definitely come back. Very charming & I loved living here, & the staff was great, especially Ann Marie, Maxine & Neseray at the bar, & all the housekeeping.

My only complaint are the hustlers that work the beach selling everything from fruit to souvenirs to drugs. I was not prepared for their aggressive nature as everyone wants to be your "guy" - the local who can get you whatever you want - & if you're not firm in saying no, they will harass you until you give them a couple bucks to go away. It is quite exhausting. I had a guy selling me fruit that would consistently ask me what time I'd be on the beach & he'd often be waiting for me when I came out. A minor interruption to my relaxation when I wanted to be anonymous. Not a big deal though. Stick to the honest guys like Dr Bill or Capt Mike next door if you need anything. They don't pressure you to buy anything, but will help you in any way they can or if you want to take a tour to the falls, take a sunset cruise, go snorkeling, etc. You can avoid all this by staying at the expensive & secluded resorts down the beach, but it's not the real Jamaican experience if you're not interacting with the locals.

I highly recommend Firefly if you're looking for an affordable vacation on one of the best beaches in the world, with one of the friendliest & most helpful staffs in Negril. I hope to be back soon! Thank you, Firefly!

• Stayed December 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I'm sitting in The airport at Montego Bay, departing from ten days at Firefly. There is a snow storm going on where I'm headed, and I just left the most wonderful beach and Inn in the world.

Firefly isn't for everyone. It's a little funky, there's naked people on it's portion of Seven Mile Beach, the cafe has a very limited menu, and no one mistakes it for the Peoria Holiday Inn. That said, here's what you get: a very clean unique room or suite, a fridge, a hot plate or stove, hand washed linens, wonderful dedicated staff, a beautiful to-die-for beach, charming architecture, restaurants within walking distance north, south, and east, the world's best cheese omelet, and a cast of characters you'll want to see again and again as you evolve from a newcomer to a regular repeat guest.

There's really very little reason to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: This is a clothes-optional Inn. Those who aren't into that won't feel the least bit weird, a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I stayed at Firefly for 8 nights from November 28 to December 6. I had room 7, which was a single room and was quite near the street. At $69 per night plus tax it was very reasonable.

I note that of the 65 reviews to this date only three have rated this property as average before me. People seem to love it or hate it. I can say that practically everybody I met there had stayed there several times before so obviously they love it.

I stayed at Coco LaPalm at the same time last year, which I also reviewed. I gave it a 4 out of 5 so in all honesty I cannot rate Firefly higher than 3 out of 5. Allow me to answer some basic questions first.

Was there hot water at all times? Yes, but only in the shower. The sink had only one tap, which was cold.
Did the air conditioning work? Yes.
Was the room kept clean to my satisfaction? Yes. No bugs to worry about.
Could I hear the traffic noise from Norman Manley Speedway? Of course, however, I am a sound sleeper so it did not bother me.
Were the staff friendly? Anna Marie in the office and Maxine who worked the evening shift at the bar were amazing. The morning breakfast staff did not appear to be enjoying their jobs.
Were there always beach loungers available? Yes.
Was the beer cold? Yes, and it was reasonable.
Was it a friendly atmosphere? It was incredible. I find it hard at times as a single man to visit with very many people usually in our couples oriented world. This resort was an exception. Everybody was down to earth, friendly and the words, "like family" came up often.

The accommodation at Firefly is as varied that I have seen anywhere. You can have a one room cabin real cheap where you have to go outside to the bathroom and shower. On the other end, you can have a lovely "penthouse" room overlooking the ocean with a number of choices in between. My rating is for my room but I got what I paid for. If I was unhappy with the street noise or if I wanted something more luxurious I could have easily upgraded my room. I do not expect 5* accommodation for a 2* price. Neither should anybody else, including those who gave this property many negative reviews.

Firefly is on the widest stretch of Seven Mile beach that is in the immediate area. The waters are absolutely fantastic. I enjoyed the ability to go skinny dipping immensely. To me, it was a real experience. To those that do not wish to avail themselves of this, one can easily find better value at Coco La Palm. However, if this is part of your vacation enjoyment you will not find a clothing optional property that is this reasonable. There is also plenty of shade for those, like me, that cannot lie out all day in the sun.

The room that I had was basically what an ordinary motel room was in the US during the 60's that used to go for $12 a night if any of you can remember that far back. There was no shampoo supplied and there was no coffee maker or free coffee in the room and I did not expect it. Those 60's motel rooms didn't have it either. The free coffee at the beach in the morning is instant coffee and it is totally gross. Jamaica has some of the best coffee in the world. If you want that it is J$180, which is about $2.20. They do NOT give free refills even when you order breakfast. I think this could be corrected if they really want goodwill. What goes as "sausages" is just cut up hot dogs. The omelette was hit and miss. The pancakes were great as was the toast. The portions are not large. Most breakfasts are in the $7 to $8 range, which I thought was plenty since I am in a third world country and all the ingredients were local.

There were a couple of nights where I was bothered by smoke from somebody burning something somewhere. Although Firefly can't probably do much about bylaws, or lack of them, it did give me a headache each of two mornings. Again, better soundproofing would help this and the street noise.

Firefly epitomizes how Negril began when the hippies came in the 60's where there was free love, plenty of weed (which was used openly by guests) and lack of clothes. It is a unique cultural experience. If it is not for you, then stay at the high end resorts. On the other hand, if you want to go all day in bare feet and only put on a shirt when you walk down the beach for supper this is for you. To me, I think it is wonderful that somebody, somewhere, is willing to offer the choice that Firefly does.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
worldroamerII, Owner at Firefly Beach Cottages, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
I'm so please about your great experiences and for telling about them. I have taken notice about the coffee and from tomorrow we will provide free refills for the US$2 coffee. We already offer free refills for the instant free coffee that we serve on he beach each morning. As a pork sausage lover myself, I am sorry to say that the frankfurter (or hot dog) sausage is the only type we can get in Jamaica and they don't taste good. Perhaps we should change the word "sausage" to "frankfurter" on the menu.
We all hope to see you again.
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

we stayed November 15-19 2012 in room 16
No AC in room, but mold was in shower. we used the outdoor shower because the bathroom was so dirty.
kitchen, living space was dated and very cheap.
bedrooms have very old and worn mattresses and terrible bedding

we were robbed. hotel said it was our fault because we allowed a jamaican on the property. they never addressed the fact that their cleaning staff left our door unlocked while she went somewhere else. who knows how long she was gone for.
also they claimed maybe thieves entered through second floor doors, but we never used them which means their staff left these doors open, possibly to rob us?
owner told us robberies only happen at their hotel when guests bring hookers. classy guy.

police never gave us a report number. in fact they refused to. hotel was informed of this and offered no help

beware of staff, owners, cheap dirty and moldy rooms.

the location is good, but negril has so much to offer, why stay there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
The guests were apparently quite happy with Firefly, if not among themselves, until the lady was reminded that a notice in he room stated that no unregistered visitors were allowed to enter the apartment.

Nevertheless she continued to take the 20-something year old man in, apparently to play with her 2 young children, It was the subject of comments on the beach, why a man would even wish to play so much with the kids.

On the beach we did not mind, as children often find other people to play with, but long experience tells us that what guests call "my good friend" (often someone they have just met) may take advantage of the gullible person.

This guest was warned verbally, and was apparently robbed. She said she contacted the Canadian High Commission and called the police. We could not help her. She seemed to be annoyed with the CHC and the police.

She draws a conclusion that we opened second floor doors to rob her, when it is likely they stayed shut during her stay if, in fact, the guests never used those doors.

Many years ago my own relatives did leave those doors open and a young boy they had invited into the room, despite warnings, climbed in when they were out and stole the cash that he had watched them hide in the downstairs room. It is 1000 times more likely that the thief was t heir invitee than our staff, and it is most unlikely that our housekeeper left the door unlocked for a while.

It is also untrue that there was mould and the beds have been re-checked and found sound.

At no time did I say anything like robberies only happening when guests bring hookers. In fact 'hookers" is a term I never use. The only time she discussed the matter with me was to ask if we insured guests' property and I told her that we could not insure guests' property as we had no insurable interest in it.

If persons would take he same care away from home as they take at home there would be fewer losses from rooms. To let the young man have the run of the apartment was foolish.

Been to Firefly Beach Cottages? Share your experiences!