“Loved My Stay, beware of the beach hustlers” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
BEACH FRONT COTTAGES
Ranked #30 of 89 Hotels in Negril
Chicago
“Loved My Stay, beware of the beach hustlers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My vacation in Negril was originally scheduled for 6 days. This was my first time in Jamaica & I began my trip in the West End, staying at both Rockhouse & Tensing Pen. I really enjoyed these resorts staying in the cliffs of Negril w/ the beautiful sunsets & gorgeous scenery.

Towards the end of my stay, I decided I wanted to extend my vacation -- by 3 weeks! I was supposed to go to Vegas after Jamaica, but after experiencing paradise for 6 days, I couldn't bare the thought of leaving it for the artificial reality of Las Vegas. So the day before I was scheduled to leave, I set out to find affordable accommodations for the next 3 weeks on 7 Mile Beach.

I checked out a few places, when a local directed me to Firefly. In my opinion, this is probably the best location on 7 Mile Beach. It's centrally located w/ direct beach access to the warm, turquoise waters. I met Ann Marie (who runs the show) & on short notice she worked out my stay, putting me in several different rooms bc there were no rooms available for 3 weeks straight. I welcomed the opportunity to stay in different rooms even though I had to change rooms 4 times. I enjoyed the variety of accommodations that Firefly offers, from the cabins (where there's no bathroom but you use the community showers/bathrooms. It's no problem, Mon! Easy access w/ hot water), to the larger rooms w/ kitchenettes & bathroom.

I stayed from Dec 2 - Dec 22, & the weather was perfect: mid-80s & sunny! I was traveling alone, but this is a great place for couples. There are a lot of repeat customers who stay for long periods of time, & it was fun settling into a routine & making friends here. Everyone is so welcoming & knows your name by Day 2. It's really amazing & truly feels more like a community than a hotel. It felt like my home away from home & I would definitely come back. Very charming & I loved living here, & the staff was great, especially Ann Marie, Maxine & Neseray at the bar, & all the housekeeping.

My only complaint are the hustlers that work the beach selling everything from fruit to souvenirs to drugs. I was not prepared for their aggressive nature as everyone wants to be your "guy" - the local who can get you whatever you want - & if you're not firm in saying no, they will harass you until you give them a couple bucks to go away. It is quite exhausting. I had a guy selling me fruit that would consistently ask me what time I'd be on the beach & he'd often be waiting for me when I came out. A minor interruption to my relaxation when I wanted to be anonymous. Not a big deal though. Stick to the honest guys like Dr Bill or Capt Mike next door if you need anything. They don't pressure you to buy anything, but will help you in any way they can or if you want to take a tour to the falls, take a sunset cruise, go snorkeling, etc. You can avoid all this by staying at the expensive & secluded resorts down the beach, but it's not the real Jamaican experience if you're not interacting with the locals.

I highly recommend Firefly if you're looking for an affordable vacation on one of the best beaches in the world, with one of the friendliest & most helpful staffs in Negril. I hope to be back soon! Thank you, Firefly!

• Stayed December 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I'm sitting in The airport at Montego Bay, departing from ten days at Firefly. There is a snow storm going on where I'm headed, and I just left the most wonderful beach and Inn in the world.

Firefly isn't for everyone. It's a little funky, there's naked people on it's portion of Seven Mile Beach, the cafe has a very limited menu, and no one mistakes it for the Peoria Holiday Inn. That said, here's what you get: a very clean unique room or suite, a fridge, a hot plate or stove, hand washed linens, wonderful dedicated staff, a beautiful to-die-for beach, charming architecture, restaurants within walking distance north, south, and east, the world's best cheese omelet, and a cast of characters you'll want to see again and again as you evolve from a newcomer to a regular repeat guest.

There's really very little reason to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: This is a clothes-optional Inn. Those who aren't into that won't feel the least bit weird, a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I stayed at Firefly for 8 nights from November 28 to December 6. I had room 7, which was a single room and was quite near the street. At $69 per night plus tax it was very reasonable.

I note that of the 65 reviews to this date only three have rated this property as average before me. People seem to love it or hate it. I can say that practically everybody I met there had stayed there several times before so obviously they love it.

I stayed at Coco LaPalm at the same time last year, which I also reviewed. I gave it a 4 out of 5 so in all honesty I cannot rate Firefly higher than 3 out of 5. Allow me to answer some basic questions first.

Was there hot water at all times? Yes, but only in the shower. The sink had only one tap, which was cold.
Did the air conditioning work? Yes.
Was the room kept clean to my satisfaction? Yes. No bugs to worry about.
Could I hear the traffic noise from Norman Manley Speedway? Of course, however, I am a sound sleeper so it did not bother me.
Were the staff friendly? Anna Marie in the office and Maxine who worked the evening shift at the bar were amazing. The morning breakfast staff did not appear to be enjoying their jobs.
Were there always beach loungers available? Yes.
Was the beer cold? Yes, and it was reasonable.
Was it a friendly atmosphere? It was incredible. I find it hard at times as a single man to visit with very many people usually in our couples oriented world. This resort was an exception. Everybody was down to earth, friendly and the words, "like family" came up often.

The accommodation at Firefly is as varied that I have seen anywhere. You can have a one room cabin real cheap where you have to go outside to the bathroom and shower. On the other end, you can have a lovely "penthouse" room overlooking the ocean with a number of choices in between. My rating is for my room but I got what I paid for. If I was unhappy with the street noise or if I wanted something more luxurious I could have easily upgraded my room. I do not expect 5* accommodation for a 2* price. Neither should anybody else, including those who gave this property many negative reviews.

Firefly is on the widest stretch of Seven Mile beach that is in the immediate area. The waters are absolutely fantastic. I enjoyed the ability to go skinny dipping immensely. To me, it was a real experience. To those that do not wish to avail themselves of this, one can easily find better value at Coco La Palm. However, if this is part of your vacation enjoyment you will not find a clothing optional property that is this reasonable. There is also plenty of shade for those, like me, that cannot lie out all day in the sun.

The room that I had was basically what an ordinary motel room was in the US during the 60's that used to go for $12 a night if any of you can remember that far back. There was no shampoo supplied and there was no coffee maker or free coffee in the room and I did not expect it. Those 60's motel rooms didn't have it either. The free coffee at the beach in the morning is instant coffee and it is totally gross. Jamaica has some of the best coffee in the world. If you want that it is J$180, which is about $2.20. They do NOT give free refills even when you order breakfast. I think this could be corrected if they really want goodwill. What goes as "sausages" is just cut up hot dogs. The omelette was hit and miss. The pancakes were great as was the toast. The portions are not large. Most breakfasts are in the $7 to $8 range, which I thought was plenty since I am in a third world country and all the ingredients were local.

There were a couple of nights where I was bothered by smoke from somebody burning something somewhere. Although Firefly can't probably do much about bylaws, or lack of them, it did give me a headache each of two mornings. Again, better soundproofing would help this and the street noise.

Firefly epitomizes how Negril began when the hippies came in the 60's where there was free love, plenty of weed (which was used openly by guests) and lack of clothes. It is a unique cultural experience. If it is not for you, then stay at the high end resorts. On the other hand, if you want to go all day in bare feet and only put on a shirt when you walk down the beach for supper this is for you. To me, I think it is wonderful that somebody, somewhere, is willing to offer the choice that Firefly does.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
worldroamerII, Owner at Firefly Beach Cottages, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
I'm so please about your great experiences and for telling about them. I have taken notice about the coffee and from tomorrow we will provide free refills for the US$2 coffee. We already offer free refills for the instant free coffee that we serve on he beach each morning. As a pork sausage lover myself, I am sorry to say that the frankfurter (or hot dog) sausage is the only type we can get in Jamaica and they don't taste good. Perhaps we should change the word "sausage" to "frankfurter" on the menu.
We all hope to see you again.
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

we stayed November 15-19 2012 in room 16
No AC in room, but mold was in shower. we used the outdoor shower because the bathroom was so dirty.
kitchen, living space was dated and very cheap.
bedrooms have very old and worn mattresses and terrible bedding

we were robbed. hotel said it was our fault because we allowed a jamaican on the property. they never addressed the fact that their cleaning staff left our door unlocked while she went somewhere else. who knows how long she was gone for.
also they claimed maybe thieves entered through second floor doors, but we never used them which means their staff left these doors open, possibly to rob us?
owner told us robberies only happen at their hotel when guests bring hookers. classy guy.

police never gave us a report number. in fact they refused to. hotel was informed of this and offered no help

beware of staff, owners, cheap dirty and moldy rooms.

the location is good, but negril has so much to offer, why stay there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
The guests were apparently quite happy with Firefly, if not among themselves, until the lady was reminded that a notice in he room stated that no unregistered visitors were allowed to enter the apartment.

Nevertheless she continued to take the 20-something year old man in, apparently to play with her 2 young children, It was the subject of comments on the beach, why a man would even wish to play so much with the kids.

On the beach we did not mind, as children often find other people to play with, but long experience tells us that what guests call "my good friend" (often someone they have just met) may take advantage of the gullible person.

This guest was warned verbally, and was apparently robbed. She said she contacted the Canadian High Commission and called the police. We could not help her. She seemed to be annoyed with the CHC and the police.

She draws a conclusion that we opened second floor doors to rob her, when it is likely they stayed shut during her stay if, in fact, the guests never used those doors.

Many years ago my own relatives did leave those doors open and a young boy they had invited into the room, despite warnings, climbed in when they were out and stole the cash that he had watched them hide in the downstairs room. It is 1000 times more likely that the thief was t heir invitee than our staff, and it is most unlikely that our housekeeper left the door unlocked for a while.

It is also untrue that there was mould and the beds have been re-checked and found sound.

At no time did I say anything like robberies only happening when guests bring hookers. In fact 'hookers" is a term I never use. The only time she discussed the matter with me was to ask if we insured guests' property and I told her that we could not insure guests' property as we had no insurable interest in it.

If persons would take he same care away from home as they take at home there would be fewer losses from rooms. To let the young man have the run of the apartment was foolish.
Kingston, Jamaica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

this place is nothing like they advertise,i was totally disappointed,the room i got need some major repairs including ac and furniture,the bed gave us back pains and my husband caught the flu from the mold on the ancient AC that was in the room,not to mention that they told us to take our kids along only to discover that they have a NUDE beach.and the customer service was very poor we had to wait until daylight to get an iron for our clothes and i did not c a security guard,we had to cut our trip short.

Room Tip: dont go on the concrete pink building
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We were asked to provide a room for a weekend for a Racquets club to support a charity and we offered that to the winners of a draw. The winners gave the prize to "Feeling Cheated" who left after one night. We did not ask them to bring their children and they did not do so.
If they had checked our website before accepting the gift from the prize winner they could have discovered that the beach was not to their liking.
I could deny what they say about the room, but suffice it to say that from soon after they left a new guest occupied it and is still there, having extended his stay a couple of times.
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Dear all,
if you are looking for low budget romantic cottages (just 1min from the beach), this is the place to go. Clean, simple, great, romantic cottages - all you need to enjoy your stay. The team at the Firefly is very friendly! The prices for drinks at the bar are the best you can find! You can meet here wonderful people to talk to. The area is every close to the beach, distance from the cottage: 1min, distance to the beach from the bar: 30 seconds, :)
Most of the cotages are without bad and WC. If you look for the cheapest option you need to shower and use WC outside. This areas are very clean also as there are many people from the Firefly taking care for your comfort. Next to all this wonderful things and the amazing stingrays you can see here often, there are also some negative points you need to know: 1) many huslers coming to you while you spend the time on the beach & 2) all guests we spoke to within the 16 days in Firefly needed to relocate very often in different cottages, some of them even more than ones. We also needed to relocate to different cottage. 3) make sure you have enough moskito spray with you as moskitos and sand fly's you will find a lot all over the Negril beach. All together we spend romantic dream holiday in this place, we met many fantastic and fascinating people and we will for sure come back in couple of years!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ontario NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We spent 9 days at Firefly from Aug 21st until Aug 30th 2012. Could not have asked for a more relaxing and friendly place to stay. Anne Marie, Donna and all the staff were the best. Great little beach bar, although closed early (low season). Good food, the pancakes with fresh fruit are to die for! We will certainly be returning to Firefly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Donna F, Manager at Firefly Beach Cottages, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for your kind words and most of all for staying with us. We enjoyed your visit and invite you to stay with us again. It's always better the second time around! :)

Been to Firefly Beach Cottages? Share your experiences!