“like many, good and not so...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Beach Front Cottages 20%
Ranked #31 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Columbia, Maryland
“like many, good and not so...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2008

First, the more recent reviews are right on with all the positives, IF (like myself and most folks I meet there) you understand that Negril is NOT a real resort area (beyond Bloody Bay and the resorts at the top of Negril Beach). It is for those who prefer the old mom-and-pop style beach motels; less-to-no frills, just an awesome spot for more open-minded folks right on a long and incredibly walkable beach. Though I do not join the naturalists, there is a lot of nudity and, thank God, most guests seemed to drink/smoke. It is in an awesome spot, and this was my fifth trip to Negril in my third place (others being Fun Holiday and White Sands). It is convenient to most all I enjoy in Negril. The staff will completely leave you alone, if that is your wish, or you will be continually greeted by name with a smile if you are a more typical Negril-visitor!
Now, let me add my personal concerns. If you are closer to Norman Manley Blvd. than the office (almost half of the property), you will hear every single vehicle that passes, and there are quite a few LOUD vehicles/motorcycles/stereos going by at all hours. The local 'rush hour' if you will is in full gear at six a.m. and it woke me up all six of my mornings, and I was in the second building from the road. It may sound odd, but ask for a room (these are not cabins, though there are a couple on the property) with an old air conditioner. My room had one of those new small European models up high in the wall and it made virtually no sound. In other rooms (both here and at other properties) with the older AC models, there is that blissfull white noise. I would prefer no AC as the evening breezes are, well they are tropical, but the traffic noise is unbearable (even if you party like I do and can fall asleep on a Russian train, you will be up with the dawn traffic). Also, the bar does have a solid breakfast BUT the adjacent Sun Beach and For Real Beach bars are vastly better (as in real beach bars and not just a counter with a couple tables). Sun Beach has a great menu, daily specials and both bars offer cheaper beer/drinks.
My rustic room (the front 'wall' was several doors together, with the larger gaps taped to keep out the bugs, sort of) was all I could ever need at the beach, and the fridge/kitchenette allowed me to be flush with juice, fruit and leftovers/munchies. If the room (#7) had an old AC or was further from the road... oh well. Bottom line is you get what you pay for, and $110-ish for a room/kitchenette on the beach is not bad, even with the traffic noise (and I had ear plugs too!). I can not wait until my next trip to Negril, but I doubt very much I will stay in the back half of Firefly.

• Liked — location (X3)
  • Disliked — traffic noise from Norman Manley Blvd.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Lutz, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2008

The good - the hosts are wonderful, helpful people. The beach vendors selling fresh-squeezed juice, fresh fruit, hot bread, fresh-cooked lobster (with plate and fork), and whatever else you might like are great! The beach and water were calm, warm and clean. The numerous restaurants, including Firefly's breakfast, were excellent and convenient. Having our own kitchen with fridge was also great as were the sunsets from our porch.

The bad - We had the "Cozy Cottage" on the beach, a mere 20 yards from the bar next door which constantly played the radio quite loud. It's proximity may make you hesitant to enjoy the clothing-optional aspect of this guest house - there were very few people during our four-day stay who did so.. The bed was, unfortunately, hard and small (full-size). The water was luke-warm at best, but then the air temperature was never below 75 F so it didn't matter much.

• Liked — Convenient locations, helpful hosts
  • Disliked — The noise and proximity of the bar next door.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

After the third trip this year to Firefly I just had to put it in writing. It's an idyllic setting on the upper end of Seven Mile beach, just south of Margaritaville. Unless you are lucky enough to get the cottage on the beach or one of the beachview penthouses, the garden view is just as pleasant. There is a workout room as well as a Jacuzzi in the Garden area.
The bar is staffed by a couple of the finest young ladies ever-Maxine & Shawn. Kick back and enjoy a Red Stripe or a good rum blender. They also serve an excellent breakfast ALL day until close for those who may lose track of time.
Close enough to the nightlife,yet far enough away to get a good sleep when needed. Excellent dining in either direction.
Within the resort are some cedar cabins from the days when Negril was just a fishing village. There are four of them that can sleep up to three-I think one can handle four. Cleaned daily and comfortable, there is nothing more economical on the beach.
To close, I have to add that Firefly/Secrets is a clothing optional resort-the only one on 7-mile besides the A/I's. This goes for the beach area and Jacuzzi only, but it is Naturist oriented and for families, couples, or singles-who needs tan lines or a wet suit?!

Bluffton, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2007

In 2 weeks, my husband and I will be returning to Firefly for our third trip. We love to travel and don't often go more than a couple of times to the same location. Firefly is different. After our first stay we both commented that "it was the most relaxing vacation we have ever taken". The atmosphere, the staff, the people you meet, all are wonderful. We always rent the penthouse because we love the view. Everything is readily available on the beach. We can dine at a different restaurant every night. We can, and often do, buy fresh fish or lobster from the local fisherman and cook our own. We stroll the beach several times a day, relax in the warn sun, swim in the crystal waters or take trip with Capt Ziggy to the reef to snorkel. Yes, the vendors, can be a pain but they respect the word "NO". We can hardly wait to get there and hit the beach. We have no regrets and plan to visit several more times.
Widget

• Liked — quaint and restfull
  • Disliked — all the steps to the room
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2007

My wife and I hit the jackpot when we selected Secrets Cabins on The Firefly Property. Just exactly what we were looking for. We felt like family from the first nite. We spent 9 total beginning March 14. A beautifull beach ,a bar with cold Stripes and friendly folks.The grounds were clean and secure and not once any uncomfortible feeling. And no it was not all inclusive. We were not in a zoo with a fence surrounding us. We were free to move around as much as we liked.Secrets has the best Bar and The best pancakes on the 7 mile beach. Another favorite eating place is Rainbow Arch. You can't go wrong. Many food and drink choi ces line the beach in both directions. If The good Lord is willing and The Creek don't Rise,We will surely return to visit our new friends soon.

Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2007

From the first meeting with Mr Jerry to the long goodbye on the beach the firefly experience was definitely worth it! As it is run by women, I found that although most of the accommodation was modest, it was very clean and cosy.

We had originally planned to go hotel hopping in Negril. However the beach was a big inhibitor of this plan. Although it is only a tiny strip of sand it was the most homely bit on the entire beach. The bar staff were lovely, the security guards were both ace and the beautician/masseuse Dornette was also fantastic. Therefore, there was absolutely no need to leave the beach!

Also I found that aloe-vera really is excellent for sun burns, just as the locals pointed out!

If you are up for a lazy few days on one of the nicest beaches, Firefly would be one of the most relaxed experiences.

Warning to Brits going to Jamaica: Make sure to exchange your pounds for dollars in England or go to a licensed money changer when in J. The local Jamaican pound to j dollar ratio is not fair at all. They don't seem to be aware that the dollar is almost half of the pound!

Security was ok. Make sure to use the safe deposit boxes at reception, available for 2 dollars a day. This really makes a difference to your peace of mind.

Special thanks to: Maxine, Shawn, Dornette, Joan, Annmarie, DC, Campbell, Mr Jerry and also non-firefly people: Peanut man, omango and Farmer Brown. for giving us a truly Irie beach holiday experience!

Word of warning, never book Firefly/ Negril for just one week as leaving that place is one of the hardest things I have ever done! We were very close to swiping our credit cards for an extra cheeky week but sadly it wasn't to be. Miss you Firefly!

• Liked — The level of cleanliness, even in the huts!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Conesus NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2007

We took a chanch 6 years ago to go to Firefly, having found their ad on the internet and communicating via emails. They seemed much friendlier than the bigger resorts we have stayed at in the past (Sandals, Couples). They really did care for our comforts and remember our names each year we have come back. We are going again in about 3 weeks for our 7th visit and can hardly wait to see the staff we call our friends. That means all of them. We have pictures of them and the hotel grounds about our house so that we can be reminded all year long. The rooms are cleaned each day and wonderful fresh flowers are waiting for us almost every day. You know that you must really enjoy a place when you have dreams about it. My wife and I have many as we approach our departure date. One more thing... The Sykes (Audry and David) have a newsletter that keeps us tuned into Firely all year long. Never got that from Sandals and we stayed there 3 times before finding Firefly.

Tom & Marilyn Brown
Conesus NY

• Liked — Freedom
  • Disliked — Sometimes too loud from bands next door.
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Firefly Beach Cottages? Share your experiences!