“Great trip” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Great hotel - great room, South House ll - great view - great people - great good - great bar!
We picked Negril because we wanted away from the crowds - picked Tensing Pen because it was smaller and the meals were not all inclusive. We relied on other comments and we were not disappointed. SH ll is on the end of the property closest to Rick's - noise was not a problem! We drank a lot of Appleton 12 at the bar, and ate all our dinners at TP, food was very hood and not expensive. Checked in Tuesday, relaxed (watch the sea crash against the rocks). Travel around all day Wednesday, TP is well located for exploring out. Thursday, stayed closer to town, many neat things - in all, we had a great time, TP is a great hotel & served our purpose well - we will return!

Room Tip: Some have A/C, some don't do not - if that is important, ask - a very few have marginal views...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Antioch, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

My daughter and I returned from a week at Tensing Pen and had an amazing time. The property is gorgeous, and I'm so glad we opted for an intimate resort vs. gigantic all-inclusives. Negril is a bit out of the way from the aiport in Montego Bay (about 70-90 min) but is well worth the trek to get away from crowds and noise. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you don't mind being disconnected from the distractions of a TV and internet. The point of my vacation was to decompress and relax and take in the splendors of mother nature, so I did not miss not having a TV or having spotty Wifi. I only used the Wifi to let my husband we had arrived.

The food was pretty good. I've read some reviews that some people thought the restaurant was pricey. Being from California, I didn't find it so. Comparable price to what I'm used to. I enjoyed the variety but my daughter was a bit more picky. She did ask the waiter for some accommodations and the chef happily complied and created some dishes for her. We stayed in the Patio and have to admit, I loved the AC. We fed the dogs on the first night and they became our shadows. Tensing, Beasie, and Sugamama slept on our porch everynight and were very protective. They are large dogs but very loving and while some may not like the idea of dogs on the property in common areas, we enjoyed them very much.

My daughter, a PADI certified diver enjoyed a few dives and loved diving a sunken ship, which afforded a much deeper dive than she anticipated. I enjoyed the snorkeling and highly recommend Vincent. Don't really know the name of his company, but he brings his boat right up to the property and you just jump right on. Vincent was fabulous and his crew were too. Vincent wasn't just our boat driver, he was our snorkeling guide. He pointed out things in the front and had a crew member bring up the rear to ensure stragglers remained with the group. We also went ziplining and took a day tour of the Island and visited Mayfield falls. Gorgeous and worth the trip.

Back to Tensing Pen, we also enjoyed a "couple's" massage in the beach hut the ocean breeze and sounds of crashing waves is indescribable. If you are there, get a massage, you won't regret it.

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our vacation to Jamaica and are so pleased with our choice of Tensing Pen.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Jax,Fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Nice location. Beautiful setting. Staff not very enthusiastic and it seemed like they do not enjoy their work very much. Food was alright. Our room (garden b) needed a thorough cleaning. We were expecting more. I would not return for another visit.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Had the most amazing stay at this beautiful hotel. All the staff were super friendly and even upgraded our room upon arrival. Would highly recommend a visit here. Only negative comments was that t.v's are not included in your room and free wifi is poor, however this is not a major concern with the beautiful views in which Tensing Pen has to offer and the very high standard accommodation it really is a fabulous resort.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

PROS: Tensing Pen is beautiful. The landscaping between all the cottages is stunning, and you can't beat the dramatic view of the cliffs. Our room was incredibly quiet at night, all we heard was ocean. Clean room and bathroom. Friendly, helpful staff. The resort in general was very quiet. All the other guests were quiet, respectful and not at all rowdy. Either walking distance or cab ride to other resorts and attractions.

CONS: Food is limited to one restaurant. We wanted to sleep in, but then missed breakfast every day and had to wait around for the restaurant to start serving lunch. Bar closes around 10pm every night. (We are New Yorkers and not used to things winding down so early at night. Some people might like that though!) Forced us to explore some restaurants outside the resort, which ended up being a good thing.

Pool is small; however, since we went during the off-season (June) we often felt like we had the place to ourselves anyway. No hot tub. No poolside service, but easy enough to walk up to the bar for drinks. No room service.

Room Tip: Seagrape I is on the lower level. Quiet, with ocean views from the porch. GREAT air conditioning-- m...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

The location and views on this property are some of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen. The sunset is breathtaking. The cliffs were awesome and I had fun jumping off of them and the bridge.

Food at the place is good, but expensive compared to similar places around Negril.

The three dogs (Rhodesian Ridgebacks) were awesome, loved Beasy, Tensing and Shuga! Very friendly, and Beasy will lay right next to you and give you kisses if you let her.

The people are incredibly nice, overall. They are very relaxed too, which is cool, but at some point it becomes a little bit of a hassle to be waiting around for things to be done. Turnover service was not done until later in the afternoon sometimes, which made us have to leave our room when they finally showed up, a small inconvenience with the cliffs and hammocks around the place to keep you occupied. But still an inconvenience.

When we arrived we were greeted kindly and shown to our room, the Garden Cabin. The room looked just alright, but wasn't the cleanest and close the loud street. You could see ants crawling all over the floor, bugs flying around, and the room seemed dingy and outdated. We just thought, "we're in the tropics, ants and mosquitos are going to get in and we got a good deal on this place." The problem was that we were constantly being bitten in our sleep and my wife and I have a crazy crazy crazy amount of mosquito bites, some in places that are typically covered during the day. That means the bites were coming while we bathed or were changing. The shower literally had zero water pressure and was basically just dripping out of the shower head, really terrible for getting sand and salt off our bodies after a day out. We kept a positive outlook for the first 4 nights throughout our whole week, but one night it came to a head. While my wife was brushing her teeth she was greeted by a cockroach as big as my thumb above the sink as well as a crab chilling on her sandals by the shower. The crab was fine (it happens), but we were not okay with the roach, as one roach usually means there's a family in the walls or somewhere in the vicinity. We asked for a room change and after speaking to the night manager (a very very nice gentleman, but just said the wrong things) who, at first reaction told us "You'll have to wait until tomorrow." We weren't having that and insisted he call his boss and get this worked out. He did, apologized, and got our room changed to South House 1, a much nicer room with water pressure, less bugs and more space. We were absolutely grateful for this change, but we were told by the same night manager "Let's see what happens in the morning, you're in a nicer room now and we may have to charge you for an upgrade since you used expedia." I did not appreciate this, because:
First: I'm sure most people nowadays book through expedia and other online sites. Just because I booked through a site doesn't mean I should get treated differently than any other guest. If you can't treat all guests the same, don't allow booking through the sites.
Second: why should I be charged for the room change when I wasn't at fault for the roach and uncleanliness. Potential extra charges were not something I wanted to think about when I'm about to go to sleep on vacation, especially because the rooms at TP are incredibly expensive ($160/night for the lowest and $630/night for the highest). When I spoke to the day manager in the morning, she apologized for the inconvenience and said not to worry about being charged. We were very much relieved by this and enjoyed the rest of our last day there with no more issues.

I feel that for cheaper there are other hotels and resorts who would be all inclusive for less than what you pay to stay at TP.

I would stay there again if they updated the rooms, did a good cleaning and debugging in their rooms and dropped some of their prices.

Room Tip: Don't pick the Garden Cabin, but the other rooms seem good, although pricy.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Grand Cayman
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Tensing Pen is a lovely property in a nice setting. The rooms (although very nice) were very musty and in dire need of a thorough cleaning! The staff were also lackluster and didn't really help to create a holiday experience for guests. All in all, I probably would not stay at Tensing Pen again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Tensing Pen Resort? Share your experiences!