“Had an absolute blast” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   West End Road, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #10 of 90 Hotels in Negril
“Had an absolute blast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Just an all around amazing time. The cliffs were amazing and swimming in the waters around them was just so therapeutic. Will definitely make it back at some point. We traveled as a couple and TP had the perfect balance between privacy and activities. Jumping off th cliffs into the water was awesome! I'd definitely recommend this place!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
cleveland ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was our sixth visit to TP. The place gets better and better each visit. Beautiful grounds, delicious food and as always perfect weather. Nothing to do but relax, swim, read, relax some more! We loved meeting the newest member of the ridgeback family, Beezy. The dogs are well trained and a wonderful addition to the resort. All of the staff members at TP are delightful.

Room Tip: Ocean view best, but all rooms are lovely. Only a few with A/C, if you are traveling in the fall/ su...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Tensing Pen is a lovely tropical resort on the cliffs. Buy this resort is not for everyone. If you want a secluded resort this is your place.
My room was clean but no AC, and being the time of year I went the AC was not an issue. What was an issue was leaving the shutters open allowed mosquitoes and small black insects into the room. Insect repellant nor the netting deterred the many bites. So be careful which room or cottage you select. The next thing you need to consider is if you are a strong swimmer. The current was rough when I visited and trying to climb the ladders out of the ocean was not and easy feat. And unless jumping into the ocean is your forte then you've selected the right hotel.
Personally, I prefer to walk into the ocean, not jump into it.
Also many people referred to the beach as dangerous or being harassed by peddlers , well if you leave the gated security of any hotel on the cliffs you encounter the same issues.
I found the narrow roads more dangerous to walk than the beach.
The dogs barking every night along with the loud music from across the street and Ricks is not exactly the quiet others spoke of-- again perhaps ocean front cottages hear less noise.
If you plan a trip to Negril , best to think if you really want to look at the ocean or enjoy the sand and beach !

Room Tip: Select a single cottage with AC facing the ocean
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Brielle, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Im not one to write bad/negative reviews, but I had an experience with this resort that I feel other travelers should know about to avoid a really bad vacation blunder with booking. Last night after hours of pouring through reviews on Trip Advisor I decided to book at Tensing Pen. I called the resort to book over the phone and the gentleman that answered the phone said to call back in the morning. I asked him if I could just book online and he said yes. I used the Online booking link on the Tensing Pen website which allowed me to search for availability for my dates. I was offered three room options with rates for my dates of travel. I selected the Pillar option and then proceeded to give my credit card and personal info to complete the booking. I submitted my reservation, then quickly secured my flight to make sure I was good to go. So I went to sleep thinking that I was booked for a great vacation and woke up to an email that said I should call the resort because they had "not received" my reservation...which is strange because obviously they received something since they emailed me back to confirm. I called the resort at 8am and was told to call back in an hour....which I did. the woman who answered the phone looked up my name and said, "sorry there are no rooms for your dates". I told her that there must be a mistake because I had reserved to room online. She apologized again and said there were no rooms. I told her that I was offered three different room options on their website. Why would I be offered three different rooms if they weren't available? She proceeded to tell me that I shouldn't have booked online...I should have called the resort directly. I told her that was ridiculous and questioned why they have an Online Booking option on their site if it actually doesnt work...she just apologized again..no answer. She wasnt very convincing that she cared much about my dilemma or the fact I had already booked my airfare, but if there were no rooms, there were no rooms...end of story.

I understand that Tensing Pen is not one of the large chain resorts with all the bells and whistles(technology) and that's why I chose to stay there, but as a very busy person with very little time to get away who tends to book last minute, I would at least expect a working reservations link...especially when I spent $1800 on non-refundable airfare for those dates.

I guess the lesson learned is don't assume you have a reservation just because it says you do. Im sure the resort is a great place and Im upset that Im not going to be staying there, but as I said be aware of this problem with their online system when booking this resort. Hopefully this review will save someone from the stress I went through thinking my trip had to be cancelled because I had no place to stay.

Luckily I was able to get a Premium Villa at the Rockhouse for those dates after frantically calling around this morning. Their staff was extremely helpful and accommodating and Im looking forward, once again, to a great trip :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
North Mankato, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful week at Tensing Pen. If you are looking for a quiet and peaceful vacation in paradise, this is the place. We stayed in a lovely garden cottage that provided plenty of privacy. The staff were helpful and very friendly. The food at the resort was wonderful. Tensing Pen was small and intimate. The view from the cliffs was beautiful and there are plenty of chairs and hammocks spread throughout the property for restful relaxation. Just a few minutes walk from Ricks cafe, Tensing Pen offers the same beautiful view of the sunset, without the crowd and noise. I would recommend asking for a quick tour of the property, to get your bearings. Highly recommend!! Also, if planning excursions in the area, I would highly recommend Garry Maxwell's Jamaican tour service. Garry picked us up at the airport the first day and also took us to YS Falls later in the week. He is courteous and knowledgeable about the area. We felt very safe and secure. He also took us to the market and knew lots of great local places to eat. Hiring a driver may be a little more expensive than renting a car or scooter to drive yourself, but you will be alive at the end of your vacation! Driving yourself could be deadly!

Room Tip: Some rooms do not have A/C. Ours did, put we really didn't need it - the ceiling fans provided...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Kaiserslautern
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My husband and I visited Tensing Pen for our Honeymoon. We wanted a very secluded place to stay and we sure got it! The grounds are absolutely stunning, the room was spectacular, and the food was delicious. We stayed in Rock Cottage II for four nights. The staff provided us transportation to and from the airport and to a waterfall excursion. One highlight during out stay was a couple's massage. The masseuses did a wonderful job and it was so relaxing to listen to the ocean. As another reviewer posted, the drinks are very expensive and we chose to visit the store across the street for drinks as well. My only complaint about the resort is the staff. For the prices we were paying to stay there, I expected much better service. We were blatantly ignored quite a few times when we sat down for a meal. My husband or I had to seek out or walk up to a staff member in order to place our order at times. I am not sure if we would visit the resort again, but overall we had a very relaxing and enjoyable honeymoon at Tensing Pen.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ancaster, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We started our trip to Negril with a stay at Sandals Negril and then moved over to the Tensing for a second week. If you are used to an all inclusive, be forewarned. It is a culture shock when you first arrive at this facility. Don't expect the bend over backwards type of service here. Additionally it is extremely quiet comparatively speaking. It only took a day to get used to this. We adjusted and settled in quite nicely. The facility itself is amazing. We stayed in the the Bungalow for 2 days and then over to the Rock Cottage II for the remaining five. The Rock Cottage II was perhaps the nicest room I've stayed in in the Caribbean. We loved it. We had 3 guard dogs that slept on the deck and or beside our bed. We couldn't have been safer. We fell in love with Shugar, Tensing and Beasey and I must say sad to leave them upon our departure. The swimming and jumping from the cliffs was fantastic although for two days the water was far too rough. That's when we went barhopping down the cliffs road. Thats the good. The bad are two things I think they could improve on. The service was very very average. I don't think I heard my name once. When staying at a place for a week you would think the staff would know your name by day four. Unlike Sandals where their objective is to attend to your every need, the staff here is more focused on doing their job as opposed to making friends. That's fine. It is what it is. Additionally we were not impressed with the bar prices. We purchased our alcohol goods across the street rather then paying the excessive pricing at the Tensing Bar. 8.00 for a mixed drink? Are you kidding me? My impression is that they don't want the main lodge bar being a big party spot and by having high prices, they'll eliminate that party atmosphere. Also their billing is a little antiquated. Razor the bartender writes down the drinks as you go. Make sure you review your bill closely. We noticed a few more drinks on our bill then what was purchased. He is a great guy, funny and entertaining however my view of him was slighted after disagreeing on the amount of drinks consumed. Owen, the server through the day is a great guy and highly entertaining. Ultimately would I consider staying here again? Yes I would. Do I feel we received good value for the money? Not necessarily. The service would have to improve for me to say yes. Another warning: This has nothing to do with TP however, we rented a scooter across the street. I would never do this again. I kissed the ground upon our return. When driving a scooter with a helmet on, you are obviously a tourist and easy prey. Do not to this and watch out for a guy named Steven at the gas station. He'll pretend to be your friend, give you directions, catch up to you 20 mins later and then lead you to Roaring River. He'll then shake you down for money for helping him. Whatta scam. A must do while there? Have a massage. We did a massage and a facial. Maxine and Georgia were amazing. They were professional and wow do they know what they're doing. Their massage and the 3 dogs were our highlights of our stay at Tensing Pen.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tensing Pen Resort? Share your experiences!