“Escape from the urban jungle” 5 of 5 stars

Jackie's on the Reef
3.0 of 5 Spa   |   West End Rd | Westmoreland, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #7 of 88 Hotels in Negril
Montreal, Canada
“Escape from the urban jungle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed at Jackie's on the Reef during the week of July 11-18th, 2014, and had the most relaxing, spiritual and inspiring trips to date. Even though Ms Jackie was not present herself, we were graciously welcomed by Karen, who stayed with us the whole trip. We were the only guests staying overnight, and the intimacy & warmth of the staff made us feel truly cared for. Karen was an incredible hostess, and shared so many funny, profound, and inspiring memories, while maintaining her professionalism throughout (!!!). She was also one of our masseuses, and both women gave us massages that really helped to relieve every little kink and knot in all our muscles.

Every morning, we were greeted by the roar of the ocean & warm sunrise, and when we made our way to the main pavilion, Ralph was always there to greet us promptly with fresh Jamaican coffee. He even went out of his way to pickup coconut milk for me, even though I had only mentioned it off-hand! Ralph was truly a genuine and cordial caretaker, and a hard worker! Whenever we had an unfamiliar fruit at breakfast or dinner, Karen and Ralph would quickly try to find some to show us. The food itself was also fantastic. Our two chefs were very accommodating, especially since I was gluten and dairy-free. They would make extra effort to ask us what we like to eat, and Gwen even surprised us with lobster tail one night too! Breakfast was also great, we fell in love with the ackee and grits platter, but no starfruit please!! Super sour!! Lunch was always the same for us - chicken or shrimp tacos. They were incredibly addictive, fresh and delicious.

Yoga classes with Nicole and Karin were also a treat! Karin was especially inspiring, and showed us a lot of moves to help with specific areas of our bodies. Nicole was also a pleasure to follow, and I am grateful for her teaching me Kundalini yoga. Yoga was challenging, as both teachers gave modifications for more advanced students and beginners. I also was able to convince 3 other guests staying for a short time to try Yoga, and was impressed with their focus, energy and support for one another (Gina F, GA!).

My treatment with SaEnya (past life therapy) was phenomenal and incredibly profound. Thank you for your insight and bless you for your incredible gift! Highly recommended, but be careful... it can be a very emotionally moving experience, if you allow it to be!

The night sky was beautiful and breathtaking. Every night, we would take the chairs up to the coast and sit and watch. That was our TV! We stayed at the Dome, and it's true what they say - the energy is very strong, and we had very vivid/lucid dreams. Better to take a dreamcatcher in there!

We'd like to also thank Debbie, our cleaning lady, who was shy but had a beautiful smile and was very nice! Spider and Ranger, the caretakers, thank you! To Franklin, our cab driver who took us everywhere (...we mean, everywhere!!), thank you! We've met so many beautiful people in Jamaica, local and non-locals, and wish everyone that crossed our paths peace, love, beauty and all the happiness in the world!!!

Jo & B

Room Tip: Dome for privacy & king size bed!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Everything about my stay at Jackie's was magical, from beginning to end. Arriving to a cool glass of lemonade and immediately lying on a massage table was just the beginning. In the mornings, we would be greeted by a smiling man (Ranger! I miss you!) and a hot beverage, take a dip in the reef pool, stretch with morning yoga and sea breezes, followed by a delicious breakfast. Our field trip to the underground caverns and swimming hole was otherworldly. Mostly, I felt completely rejuvenated just drinking in the ocean breezes on the main veranda, listening to wind chimes and dozing off. At night, ate nourishing, sumptous meals then swam in the bioluminescent reef pool and watched shooting stars before sleeping. Jackie is a wonderful hostess, and an amazing person, and her place reflects all of this.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Thank you, Jackie, for your warm hospitality and the peaceful relaxation. I enjoyed the daily yoga, resting listening to the waves crash, the meals which were excellently prepared and served, and last but not least - the spa treatments were certainly 'memorable' - in a good way ;) I asked for solitude, and that was exactly what I received as I was the only guest during my visit. Much needed and very much appreciated vacation.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I went to Jackie's for a massage with my friends. It was all the way on Westender Rd - very peaceful and tranquil. The massage was amazing. It is done in a small open hut on hype cliff edge. It started to rain, thunder and lightning while we were getting our massages. The perfect backdrop. I got the deep tissue aromatherapy. After I was done, I relaxed on the property for 3 hours, ordered fish tacos and napped. I was perfect. There was one guest there. Highly recommend this place.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We had a wonderful guesthouse experience at Jackie’s On the Reef, the perfect re-entry to Jamaica after a twenty-year absence. I went with my teenage daughter and stayed for four nights in the main house. I loved the open-air bathroom and spaciousness of our room. I am a tai chi practitioner, and the pavilion where yoga classes were held was perfect for tai chi as well. We easily got to know our fellow guests, eating meals around one table and taking yoga together. Jackie herself is a gem--full of humor and wisdom.

Every morning we had yoga in the open-air pavilion facing the sea, then were served breakfast with local fruits and vegetables. Jackie’s is a sanctuary of peace and quiet—no cell phones--good for study, contemplation, meditation, yoga, tai chi, healing of any kind, and horizon gazing. I floated in the sea pools, had spa treatments, and one of the most restful naps of my life out on the pavilion one afternoon. The signature scrub spa treatment with Paulette was amazing and world-class, highly recommended.

Later we went on to a more traditional hotel experience (teen-ager), and I appreciated that we began our adventure in the meditative, tai chi friendly, peace and calm of Jackie’s on the Reef. Jamaica, and Negril especially, has many choices for accommodations with restaurants and bars, reggae music, hustle, and bustle. It’s a fun place. For those looking for a different side of Jamaica, Jackie’s is a great alternative.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Fort Walton Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

jackie's on the reef is a quaint little get away, far enough away from the hustle-bustle of Negril to feel like you are at a retreat. Add to that the fresh juices and healthy and delicious fare and you are at a retreat for wellness.
The body treatments are better than any I've had while traveling--I especially liked the bamboo (similar to hot stone) massage.
Jackie goes out of her way to be sure all her guests are happy and feel well-cared for and we certainly did.

Room Tip: The dome and the cottage are separate from the rooms in the "Big House", but they are smal...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We spent a week at Jackie's for a retreat. The place is gorgeous. Jackie is amazing. The food is incredible. The people who work there are so nice and helpful. Right on the water, the setting is beautiful. Jamaica is wonderful, but in Negril there's a lot of action and it's hard to find peaceful and/or personal space. Jackie's is a sanctuary away from the hustle and bustle and yet still has the real feel of being on the beautiful island. A secret gem.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Jackie's on the Reef? Share your experiences!