“This is a TRULY Natural Spa Retreat!” 5 of 5 stars

Jackie's on the Reef
3.0 of 5 Spa   |   West End Rd | Westmoreland, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #8 of 89 Hotels in Negril
Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada
“This is a TRULY Natural Spa Retreat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

It was a true privilege to visit Jackie's on the Reef in April, 2008. I only went for the day but I could have stayed forever. As a Healing Arts Master Teacher I was invited to Jackie's for a tour of the facility and to have lunch with Jackie. In return I gave her the best of my healing session.
If you want electronics, a/c, wifi, cell or computer technology and booming music, then book a room on the 7 mile Beach. If you want to get away from all that; if you have orders from your doctor to de-stress; if you need a true escape from the outside world... Please Stay at Jackie's! Peace and Tranquility are an understatement here. Nothing but the sounds of the ocean and natural wildlife! Strategically placed far from the madding crowd, be prepared to enjoy the remoteness, feed lightly as we should and pay only cash ( no plastic here). Book your massages and facials then REST and Reeee-laaaax! There is time another day for excursions.
The food is all natural, organically home grown and probably the healthiest you will find anywhere. No toxins or pollutants, fresh and deliciously prepared. The accommodations may be spartan or even primitive, but it was all designed this way! This is a TRULY natural SPA RETREAT!!!
Jackie is a very spiritual person with a good bead on our connectivity to All There Is (far from being an evangelist!) and fully grounded in the 3rd Dimension. I felt Well Blessed to spend time in this Garden off the beaten path.

Room Tip: Strategically placed far from the madding crowd, be prepared to enjoy the remoteness, feed lightly a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Such an incredible 3 days spent with and at Jackie's. The moment I walked onto the grounds I felt a sense of calm and tranquility.
The constant sound of waves is something so special and hard to find without the interruption of some other noise. The view is outstanding and although there isn't a diving pool, Jackie has created these natural rock type basins where you can bathe in sea water, relax and feel so connected to nature.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would highlight recommend Jackie's to anyone seeking relaxation, rejuvenation and a spiritual environment. Oh and the food is outstanding !! I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: If you're a couple absolutely ask to stay in the Dome - it's separated from the rest of the...
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

The most tranquil, relaxing, rejuvenating and restfull vacation ever!!!!!! The constant sounds of waves crashing against the cliffs, balmy breezes, delightful day beds in the open air to slumber and or read, hammocks, restorative yoga, meditation, saltwater pool filled naturally by the incoming waves, stellar sunsets, delicious, healthy dinners, fresh fruit and veggie juices, herbal teas,a slew of fantastic outdoor body treatments to detox, calm and uplift the body, mind & spirit, pleasant staff and amazing service, quaint and beautifully simplistic rooms w outdoor yet private bathrooms....... Heaven I tell ya.... Heaven! Jackie is a pillar of all that is sacred and authentic.... A true visionary!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to go back!!!!

Room Tip: The Dome is the BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tempe, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My oldest daughter, who is 18 and I went to Jackie's on the Reef and just got home yesterday. We had a wonderful time. I had purchased the trip on Living Social after reading about it decided to go. The reason I am taking the time to share with everyone, as this place is unusual and is not for everyone, but for the people who it is for, will LOVE it. If you are someone who enjoys a tranquil, spiritual environment that includes yoga and sitting looking out into the ocean, health foods, talking with other like-minded yoga-types, and taking a technology break, this is for you. I teach online and am on the computer constantly, so taking a break, turning off the phone, etc. was unbelievably rejuvenating.

I have read some of the other reviews and want to share my take on them. Jackie is a very nice person and is far from being an evangelist. I think the person may have said that because she is spiritual and willing to engage in those topics. I would consider her more "new age" and very open. I also saw some critiques of the rooms. I found the room to be amazing. The walls are stone and there are screened in windows with slats. Great breeze coming in and you can hear waves crashing. While primitive in some ways, it is very clean and comfortable. The outside bathroom was just fine. It's connected to your room, but open air. See pictures, it's awesome. It's a real change from what you are used to, which is part of the charm and fun when you travel.

Each day someone comes to teach yoga and all of them were wonderful people. The food is very fresh and delicious. It is very healthy food and the portions are not large, but this worked out well for me, but travelers should know this. What you can do is go into town for lunch for a bigger meal if you so desire. As for going to town, there is a hotel next door that will take you to town to whatever location you desire and come and get you when you call for $10. round trip per person. Not bad. Jackie's property is a bit remote, but that is a good thing.

The other area of interest for travelers is that cab fare from Jackie's to the airport cost me $70 for my daughter and I . It's an hour and a half drive. The spa treatments are wonderful and reasonably priced. I had a facial and a massage. Both were done in a ramada by the water, nice. The pool is not for swimming, but soaking in. It's very small and not intended for someone to do laps.

I will be going back to this place. I found it to be rejuvenating. I travel all over the world, and this is one of my favorites.

Room Tip: Ask if the dome room is available if you want more privacy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Jackies R, Owner at Jackie's on the Reef, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
On behalf of the whole team here at Jackie’s, thank you for sharing your experience and observations with other travelers. I’m glad that we were able to provide a memorable and rejuvenating vacation for you both. We appreciate your honesty and hope to see you again

Jackie
Wilson, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed at Jackie’s on the Reef starting Feb 20 and checked-out on Feb 23, 2013.

Jackie’s is a wonderful place to relax and devote some time to your inner-self. It is right on the water, and the wonderful sound of the waves crashing against the rocks is very soothing and tranquil.

We enjoyed the optional yoga classes every morning, and also had the opportunity to get some one-on-one yoga instruction. There were two different yoga instructors while we were there. My wife had never done yoga, and she found it very enjoyable for the three days we were there.

The meals were very good, with the organic fruits and vegetables locally grown. The fish and chicken was fresh and is also from local sources. All of the meals were wonderful and we were exposed to many local fruits and dishes. All of the food is cooked to one of Jackie’s recipes. We had hot tea or coffee each morning with breakfast, and a cold drink and also hot tea every night with supper. Many of the cold drinks and teas are made from items grown on the property.

There are many comments in other reviews about the open bathrooms and showers, but there is not really any problem in using them. There is plenty of privacy, so we did not find that to be an issue.

Jackie is a very spiritual person, and is not affiliated with any specific religion. In a review below, someone called her an evangelist, and I think that is very far from the truth. Jackie is very easy to talk with, and my wife and I, along with all the other guests, talked, laughed, and joked. If you want to talk about spirituality, Jackie is glad to do so, and if you don’t, that is also okay.

We had some great conversations with Jackie, and our stay was a refreshing and a wonderful experience. All of the guests that were there were really having a great time. There were eight other guests when we arrived, and two left the following day. The environment at Jackie’s is very conducive to relaxation, and spending time with your inner yourself, to contemplate, and to get refreshed.

They have a wonder pool that is filled and constantly refreshed by the oceans waves. I have never seen anything like this before. The ocean water is warm, and the pool was very enjoyable. The pool stays at about 3-1/2 feet in depth. The pool is located on top of the rocky shore. About every six or seventh wave will wash up over the rocks and make their way to the pool to fill it. The rocks filter out any sand or fish. Then the water drains back out to a certain level to keep the pool at about 3-1/2 feet in depth. The water is always clear and clean, and is constantly being refreshed naturally by the ocean.

We took a short trip to Rick’s Café while we were at Jackie’s. Rick’s is a great place to visit, and to watch the divers dive into the clear, deep water. Visitors can jump/dive off of the lower rocks (about 25-30 feet), while some of the “regular” divers dive from a platform about 60-70 feet above the water. The “regular” divers go around collecting money in a bucket to watch them dive off of the platform or rocks. When they collect about $20 they will make the dive. We ate lunch there and the food was good. Jackie arranged the cab to take us to Rick’s and also pick us up at a specified time and take us back to Jackie’s.

If you need a wifi connection while at Jackie’s, you can go to the Westender (located next to Jackie’s) or sit in Jackie’s main building on the side closest to the Westender to pick-up a signal. Sometimes the signal fades in and out, but generally it was a decent connection. If you go to the Westender restaurant you will get a solid signal.

I would highly recommend Jackie’s if you want to get “away from it all”, and get back to some basic living, great conversations, relaxation, and take time for yourself and to also enjoy yourself.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dayton, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Jackie’s On the Reef is like nothing else I have ever experienced. My sister and I found a great deal for Jackie’s while researching possible destinations. We had no idea what to expect out of a “spa retreat”, and there was nothing that could have prepared us for our experience.
Jackie’s is extremely secluded from the hustle-bustle of Negril. It is on the very far end of the island, which is good and bad. It’s an amazing place to escape from your busy and fast-paced lives. However, there is also no cell phone service of any kind. I made sure to activate my international cell phone plan before I left, but my sister and I both had to drive into Negril to have any service. This made it extremely difficult to communicate with our loved ones back home. Another downfall to the location is that you have to pay for a taxi service to get anywhere. The taxi costs can really add up if you’re planning to leave for any excursions.
Jackie’s is truly is one of the most relaxing and spiritual places I have ever been. Stepping onto the grounds, your stress is immediately washed away. Be prepared to shower and use the bathroom in an outdoor space. While I got used to it very quickly, many people would be very uncomfortable with the set up. Be prepared to be one with nature – and possibly the folks who vacationing in the hotel next door! 
The food was fresh ingredients every day and delicious – we didn’t have a bad meal.
Every morning began with a yoga class and the yoga instructors were amazing. I have taken many classes and have never had such a positive experience.
Several important things that I wish I would have known before I went: 1. Jackie does not accept credit cards for anything. And, ATMs are not easy to find Negril. Be prepared with plenty of cash! 2. If you are looking for a vacation that includes enjoying the local nightlife, this may not be the trip for you. In addition to being a good distance from any nightlife, Jackie’s gates are locked around dusk and it is no easy task to return to the resort after-hours.
Ironically, as relaxing and serene as this location is, Jackie brings a certain level tension to the experience. There were several times that our schedules were thrown off (we are on vacation in a foreign country and some things can’t be planned to the minute – nor do we want them to!) and we felt reprimanded by Jackie for being late for a meal or a class. I took it in stride, but feel as though a portion of our vacation was compromised by the lack of flexibility and by the overall sense of unease around Jackie.
If you are looking for a real getaway to decompress with zero distractions, Jackie’s is the perfect destination. Come with an extremely open mind and a desire to do nothing but de-stress.

Room Tip: The "Dome" is amazing, and so unique; however, the location is very, very breezy. This of...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Jackies R, office assistant at Jackie's on the Reef, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for your valued review, I am happy to hear you had a wonderful stay. It is true; Jackie’s on the Reef is not for everyone. We are a sanctuary retreat, where one can escape and dis connect from a busy and fast paced life for a few days. Having said that, thank you again for the review, it was full of useful information and we appreciate it.

JSR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

If you need to get away from the hussle and bussle, crime, all TV and electronics. Enjoy yoga,delicious food, healthy fruit drinks, delicious coffee and teas. Or a conversation and some words of wisdom from Jackie. Not to mention the best vies of the ocean. This place has all this and more.

• Stayed February 2013