“Serenity on 7 mile” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Canada
“Serenity on 7 mile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

After 27 trips to Jamaica over 20 years, we finally found our perfect spot! We stayed here in March 2014, came back in July and have our family Christmas vacation booked here for December, that is how much I love this property.

Travel and vacation is very subjective and personal and every place is not for everyone, but let me tell you, why this place is, for me, perfect.

If you have ever walked 7 mile beach, you know the Charela Inn. It stands out in subtle elegance on the most prominent stretch of one of the worlds best beaches. It doesn't scream to be recognized, it blends perfectly set amidst lush palm trees, with a warm, welcoming, old world appeal. The fine restaurant,Le Vendome, sits right on the beach with the best view, and at night comes alive with twinkling lights and delightful fine cuisine.

One of the things that stands out the most to me are the things that are not there. There is not bellowing loud music, scheduled activities or showy statues. What there is, is peace and quiet and tranquility, natural beauty, both sight and sound, with a staff that works tirelessly to ensure that when you do need something,they are there for you and never make you feel that any request is ridiculous. There is nothing this staff can not accommodate and they do it with such caring and warmth.
The staff is what puts this property above all others. Everything comes natural to them and does not seem forced.
Shanique, Carolyn and Nadine at the front desk, are spectacular for their patience and attention to detail in ensuring all requests are fulfilled. Minell is the man that makes it all happen on arrival and continues to impress with his knowledge and expertise on just about anything!
Francella and Debbie with that amazing welcoming warm smile, every morning to greet you by name. All the staff in the restaurant/bar morning, noon and night are absolutely fantastic, top notch! The fact this hotel is able to attract and keep this level of professionals is a tribute to the owners and defines the excellence in this hotel.

Food at Le Vendome is excellent with a selection for every taste. My personal favorite is the jerk sausage pizza at lunch, and of course the freshly made breads and pastries with breakfast. There are so many places to eat and explore in Negril, walking distance from the hotel, however with the quality of food at Le Vendome, it is just as easy to eat "at home" your entire vacation if you choose.

The rooms we have stayed in, have been excellent. It's all about the view for me. We have stayed in deluxe rooms both times, 314 in main building and room 325 in the newer section. Both had incredible sea views that were enjoyed for sunrise and sunset. The rooms have everything you need including a fridge and are kept spotless from arrival to departure.

The beach, most important to me. Crystal clear water, pristine soft white sand and plenty of shade from the many perfect palm and sea grape trees. The beach area is meticulously maintained and watched over by Reuben, an absolute professional, (with some awesome football skills)!
Vendors are respectful and deserve your attention, love getting warm coco bread and cheese, fresh fruits and my favorite mango juice, right to my beach chair. There is no end to the offerings from these fine people. Give them a try.
After a full day on the beach, relax a little more with a message from Sandra, definitely magic hands!

Thank you, Charela Inn, you are my new definition of perfection. I'm just sorry it took us so long to find you. See you in December!

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Our second visit was just wonderful, spottless clean room, very clean bathroom and beds, enough cushions, beautifull and extremely clean Beach area . The restaurant has some very good fooditems, the onionsoup needs a bit adjustments. The Breakfast basic but very ok., nice small Bar with a excellent barkeeper! If you are looking for relaxation, just the right spot in Negril.no noise in the night, no noise in the day! Far enough from the action, but still in walking distance.thank you to the staff

Room Tip: We loved the poolview rooms, very quiet,
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I stayed at the Charela between May 4-15/14 from the moment I stepped on the property until my departure I cannot make one negative statement. The beach is clean and the sand deep. Smokers had their individual ashtrays, therefore there were no cigarette butts lurking in the sand. The beach chairs were comfortable and plentiful. My room (314) was exceedingly clean and comfortable, the view was amazing especially during the sunsets. I had some issues with the bathroom and handheld shower which sprayed everywhere. But that was something on the minor side. The staff were exceptional! Thoughtful and no request was too much to be fulfilled. The restaurant and the food were very good to excellent. Substitutions were no problem. I liked the idea that the beach towels were left in your room and you did not have go searching for them on the property and then to be told, sorry no towels for another three hours! Last but not least WiFi was great. I did not have to go piggy back on the next property. That is why I am going back in October.

Room Tip: View in room 314 was great
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Independence, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We went back to Negril for a 10-day stay over July 4th-14th. It was our 11th trip to Negril in 23 years and our 4th time back to Charela Inn. Overall it was another relaxing, beautiful, awe inspiring vacation. From the lovely ladies at the front desk, to the restaurant staff, to the maids team, to the grounds crew, to the beach staff, everyone welcomed us back and made sure our stay was pleasant. I could go into the pros and cons of everything, but I'm not much of a nitpicker, so I will hit the bullet points from our stay this year. Firstly, what I comes to mind is our incident with the sink. While running the faucet in the morning midway through our stay, the faucet head gave out when Amy tried to shut it off and water started spraying out everywhere uncontrollably. We couldn't shut if off at the faucet so I reached down and turned off the check valves below. We called the front Desk and less then five minutes later Minell showed up ready to go to work. He had to completely remove the sink and replace the faucet head. So, while he started on that, we went out to the beach and for a swim, and in about an hour he came to let us know it was fixed with a new faucet. We were a little disappointed when it first happened, but was handled so swiftly, the incident ended up being something that we really appreciated. There are a few things about the room that we would change.... small things.... Firstly, the key system with the euro style skeleton key. We have never liked it. We constantly see people fiddling with their keys and the lock and trying to get it locked/unlocked, keys falling on the ground, fumbling around, etc., and then when they finally get it and get in, the whole process starts over because you have to lock/unlock with the key from the inside as well. Yes, even sober, it's still a nuissance. I have never had the most secure feeling in the world with those locks either, but knock on wood, our room at Charela has never been broken into nor have we been vandalized in any way. Secondly, the inset floor to the bathroom is a hazard. It's about a 3" ledge from the main room into the bathroom. I understand why it's there, as such for the very problem we had with the sink, but it's a step up/down that people don't always remember and a foot,/ankle/toe/leg injury, or worse waiting to happen. I have stubbed my toes on a few occasions and Amy has too. We tile floor is pretty slippery when wet also, so it's a recipe for disaster. We've also talked with a number of other guests that have has incidents, as well. I'm pretty surprised this hasn't been changed yet. I will note though that we did stay in one of the older seafront rooms, not one of the rooms that has been updated yet, but I do not know if this issue has been addressed in the newer rooms or not. Anyway, just thought I would mention it. Other things, the food was delicious, the beach simply amazing, and one of the best locations in Negril. One more thing to note, I have only heard great things about the owners, The Grizzles, from both staff and guests. We have yet to have the opportunity to meet them, but look forward to crossing paths on a future stay. We highly recommend Charela Inn, and we will definitely be going back for our next trip. I hope you enjoy some of the photographic art I created from our stay. Cheers!

Clifton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Charela Inn July 8-15, 2014. This is a small hotel set on a wonderful stretch of beach with beautiful low palm trees. Check in was very easy and we were taken to our room by Minel who showed us how everything worked. We had a sea view room with a 4 poster king sized bed. Very comfortable. A wardrobe, desk, dresser and a chair completed the room. There is a TV with lots of channels. There is a hairdryer on the wall but also a separate one that worked as well as the one I use at home. Ceiling fan and air conditioning which worked very well. And the room has a safe. Maid service was excellent and she cleaned the room everyday around 11 am. The restaurant staff is wonderful and friendly. And the security and water sports guys were always ready to help with a beach chair or a question. The restaurant, La Vendome, has excellent food and we ate there 3 mornings, 1 lunch and 1 dinner. The best coconut snapper! Location of this hotel is super as it is pretty much in the middle of seven mile beach. Walk either way to bars, restaurants etc. The trees are filled with birds and tree frogs at night. Very relaxing. If there were to be one very small complaint it would be the keys to the room. They are skeleton keys and I never knew which was which. Everyone was fiddling with the keys at their doors. We had a faulty lock on our front door and it was replaced quickly by Minel within 45 minutes. I recommend this hotel to all age groups including children. I would return here in a heartbeat.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I felt in honeymoon.
The hotel is situated on the beach with Spanish architecture. It seats tastefully under palm trees. Our room faced the ocean and every morning we would get up with the birds singing and a striking view of early sun. Our routine was waking up early...take a swim and go to have breakfast at the little restaurant with an exquisite Jamaican breakfast, fruit and coffee. We had dinner also a couple of times....food was delicious!!! The staff knew us since the first minute we walked in...like we knew them forever...they made us feel special everyday and they always welcomed us with big smiles and great customer service! Everything was done tastefully ....the rooms were simple and exquisite....we couldn't ask for a more romantic room....room 312. (great style, small but functional and pleasent to the eyes)
The Hotel is family owned and you can feel it and see it in every detail...It feels genuine and the price is right considering all this beauty...Kevin and I will come back anytime we are in Negril!!
Thank you for helping us have the most amazing vacation....

Room Tip: Stay in upstairs rooms and have ocean view!!!
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

having visited the charela inn in oct. 2013, we awaited, with great anticipation, our june journey. the food, as always, was excellent, the staff superb, and the honeymoon suite accommodations were heavenly. the staff, courteous and friendly each day, and remembered your previous preferences. we were as enthralled as our first visit, and created a memorable event, by being married on the beach. joan and i, both in our 70's and widower(s) could not conceive of a more favourable location for the event.as, in my previous review, the charlela inn is negril beach's hidden jewel, marvelous surroundings, pleasant knowledgeable staff, clean orderly rooms, european quality meals,...and reasonable

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple