“quiet, clean, wonderful staff” 5 of 5 stars

Charela Inn / Le Vendome
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Norman Manley Blvd. | P.O. Box 33, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #19 of 91 Hotels in Negril
Naples, Florida
“quiet, clean, wonderful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Our second visit was just wonderful, spottless clean room, very clean bathroom and beds, enough cushions, beautifull and extremely clean Beach area . The restaurant has some very good fooditems, the onionsoup needs a bit adjustments. The Breakfast basic but very ok., nice small Bar with a excellent barkeeper! If you are looking for relaxation, just the right spot in Negril.no noise in the night, no noise in the day! Far enough from the action, but still in walking distance.thank you to the staff

Room Tip: We loved the poolview rooms, very quiet,
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I stayed at the Charela between May 4-15/14 from the moment I stepped on the property until my departure I cannot make one negative statement. The beach is clean and the sand deep. Smokers had their individual ashtrays, therefore there were no cigarette butts lurking in the sand. The beach chairs were comfortable and plentiful. My room (314) was exceedingly clean and comfortable, the view was amazing especially during the sunsets. I had some issues with the bathroom and handheld shower which sprayed everywhere. But that was something on the minor side. The staff were exceptional! Thoughtful and no request was too much to be fulfilled. The restaurant and the food were very good to excellent. Substitutions were no problem. I liked the idea that the beach towels were left in your room and you did not have go searching for them on the property and then to be told, sorry no towels for another three hours! Last but not least WiFi was great. I did not have to go piggy back on the next property. That is why I am going back in October.

Room Tip: View in room 314 was great
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Independence, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We went back to Negril for a 10-day stay over July 4th-14th. It was our 11th trip to Negril in 23 years and our 4th time back to Charela Inn. Overall it was another relaxing, beautiful, awe inspiring vacation. From the lovely ladies at the front desk, to the restaurant staff, to the maids team, to the grounds crew, to the beach staff, everyone welcomed us back and made sure our stay was pleasant. I could go into the pros and cons of everything, but I'm not much of a nitpicker, so I will hit the bullet points from our stay this year. Firstly, what I comes to mind is our incident with the sink. While running the faucet in the morning midway through our stay, the faucet head gave out when Amy tried to shut it off and water started spraying out everywhere uncontrollably. We couldn't shut if off at the faucet so I reached down and turned off the check valves below. We called the front Desk and less then five minutes later Minell showed up ready to go to work. He had to completely remove the sink and replace the faucet head. So, while he started on that, we went out to the beach and for a swim, and in about an hour he came to let us know it was fixed with a new faucet. We were a little disappointed when it first happened, but was handled so swiftly, the incident ended up being something that we really appreciated. There are a few things about the room that we would change.... small things.... Firstly, the key system with the euro style skeleton key. We have never liked it. We constantly see people fiddling with their keys and the lock and trying to get it locked/unlocked, keys falling on the ground, fumbling around, etc., and then when they finally get it and get in, the whole process starts over because you have to lock/unlock with the key from the inside as well. Yes, even sober, it's still a nuissance. I have never had the most secure feeling in the world with those locks either, but knock on wood, our room at Charela has never been broken into nor have we been vandalized in any way. Secondly, the inset floor to the bathroom is a hazard. It's about a 3" ledge from the main room into the bathroom. I understand why it's there, as such for the very problem we had with the sink, but it's a step up/down that people don't always remember and a foot,/ankle/toe/leg injury, or worse waiting to happen. I have stubbed my toes on a few occasions and Amy has too. We tile floor is pretty slippery when wet also, so it's a recipe for disaster. We've also talked with a number of other guests that have has incidents, as well. I'm pretty surprised this hasn't been changed yet. I will note though that we did stay in one of the older seafront rooms, not one of the rooms that has been updated yet, but I do not know if this issue has been addressed in the newer rooms or not. Anyway, just thought I would mention it. Other things, the food was delicious, the beach simply amazing, and one of the best locations in Negril. One more thing to note, I have only heard great things about the owners, The Grizzles, from both staff and guests. We have yet to have the opportunity to meet them, but look forward to crossing paths on a future stay. We highly recommend Charela Inn, and we will definitely be going back for our next trip. I hope you enjoy some of the photographic art I created from our stay. Cheers!

Clifton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Charela Inn July 8-15, 2014. This is a small hotel set on a wonderful stretch of beach with beautiful low palm trees. Check in was very easy and we were taken to our room by Minel who showed us how everything worked. We had a sea view room with a 4 poster king sized bed. Very comfortable. A wardrobe, desk, dresser and a chair completed the room. There is a TV with lots of channels. There is a hairdryer on the wall but also a separate one that worked as well as the one I use at home. Ceiling fan and air conditioning which worked very well. And the room has a safe. Maid service was excellent and she cleaned the room everyday around 11 am. The restaurant staff is wonderful and friendly. And the security and water sports guys were always ready to help with a beach chair or a question. The restaurant, La Vendome, has excellent food and we ate there 3 mornings, 1 lunch and 1 dinner. The best coconut snapper! Location of this hotel is super as it is pretty much in the middle of seven mile beach. Walk either way to bars, restaurants etc. The trees are filled with birds and tree frogs at night. Very relaxing. If there were to be one very small complaint it would be the keys to the room. They are skeleton keys and I never knew which was which. Everyone was fiddling with the keys at their doors. We had a faulty lock on our front door and it was replaced quickly by Minel within 45 minutes. I recommend this hotel to all age groups including children. I would return here in a heartbeat.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I felt in honeymoon.
The hotel is situated on the beach with Spanish architecture. It seats tastefully under palm trees. Our room faced the ocean and every morning we would get up with the birds singing and a striking view of early sun. Our routine was waking up early...take a swim and go to have breakfast at the little restaurant with an exquisite Jamaican breakfast, fruit and coffee. We had dinner also a couple of times....food was delicious!!! The staff knew us since the first minute we walked in...like we knew them forever...they made us feel special everyday and they always welcomed us with big smiles and great customer service! Everything was done tastefully ....the rooms were simple and exquisite....we couldn't ask for a more romantic room....room 312. (great style, small but functional and pleasent to the eyes)
The Hotel is family owned and you can feel it and see it in every detail...It feels genuine and the price is right considering all this beauty...Kevin and I will come back anytime we are in Negril!!
Thank you for helping us have the most amazing vacation....

Room Tip: Stay in upstairs rooms and have ocean view!!!
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

having visited the charela inn in oct. 2013, we awaited, with great anticipation, our june journey. the food, as always, was excellent, the staff superb, and the honeymoon suite accommodations were heavenly. the staff, courteous and friendly each day, and remembered your previous preferences. we were as enthralled as our first visit, and created a memorable event, by being married on the beach. joan and i, both in our 70's and widower(s) could not conceive of a more favourable location for the event.as, in my previous review, the charlela inn is negril beach's hidden jewel, marvelous surroundings, pleasant knowledgeable staff, clean orderly rooms, european quality meals,...and reasonable

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Spent a week here both in 2013 and again in 2014... Great location, nice rooms, good restaurant but best was fantastic staff. So many places along the beach to have lunch but when the sun sets leVendome restaurant is terrific. Thursday nights is a treat with terrific band... A little reggae, mostly jazz. Great fun!

Room Tip: Definitely spend the few extra $$$ for seaview...well worth it!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Charela Inn / Le Vendome? Share your experiences!