We just finished 8 days once again at Charela. We've come here at least four times about every 2-3 years. After staying on the cliffs 30 years ago and then twice at the old Negril Gardens on the beach, we upgraded to what we feel is the best inn and location on the beach, especially if you don't like the all-inclusive scene (where they scare their guests not to walk the beach in the evening). Run for 30 years by a French wife-Jamaican gentleman who live on-site, the inn has a charm and presence not found elsewhere from it's architecture to its ambience. There is a quality to the French and Jamaican food (croissants three x/week, foie gras, escargot, filet mignon, snapper various ways, etc.) is better than what's found generally on the beach and priced reasonably for the quality). No one is trying to rip you off here. The staff is wonderful and accommodating from the front desk to the wait and beach staff. We always had coffee and croissants or pastry brought up to us on our seaview balcony each morning along with papaya and lime we bought from a wonderful vendor on the beach each day.
The international cliental who come, many returning year upon year, largely are there to totally relax, read under palm trees, eat, even smoke a little weed if you want, swim in the best, quietest, ocean water we have ever found in the Caribbean. My wife likes long distance swimming and she loves what Charela's beach front offers. If you want rollers and body-surfing, don't come here. While there is a reef a half mile out reachable by boat for snorkeling, it's not a great beach or location for snorkeling. The cliff establishments have deeper water and some fish life but it can be a bit rough off their rocky sites.
For the price, this is a super establishment and Charles and Sylvie, who run it, should be proud of what they've built over the years.
- Also Known As:
- Charela Inn / Le Vendome Hotel Negril
- Charela Inn / Le Vendome Hotel
- Charela Hotel Negril
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Charela Inn the discreet charm of peace & tranquility, good company and fine food. Nothing more ... nothing less. CHARELA INN resort sits elegantly on the famous Negril Beach, by the Caribbean Sea. Its forty-seven rooms and beach stretches 250 feet in width and 150 feet in depth of pure white sand sprinkled with coconut trees to afford natural shade to our guests. Beyond the sand lies a lawn and two large patios to dine "al fresco" or simply sip cocktails while watching the sunset. All 47 rooms are built around an inner court yard in an Hacienda style with a round fresh water swimming pool in the centre of the yard, and a lush tropical garden with hibiscus, night jasmine, bougainvilleas etc. as well as many birds including our national doctor bird. The feeling is one of being far from the crowds -- yet a few steps away from the world of water sports and many attractions on the seven mile beach. All buildings are of two floors. Each room has either a private patio or a private balcony. All public access at Charela Inn are designed to accommodate the physically impaired, along with three dedicated ground floor rooms. Charela Inn is renowned for the friendliness and caring of its long standing staff, many being with the resort for over 15 years. Charel's longstanding repeat guests of many nationalities brings with them a true feeling of friendship and are cherished by both management and staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Otel, Booking.com, Olotels and HotelsClick so you can book your Charela Inn / Le Vendome reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.