“This resort is Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset at the Palms

Save Saved
You added Sunset at the Palms to your Saves list
Sunset at the Palms
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd | Ruthland Point, Negril, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Holiday Warmth
Ranked #13 of 91 Hotels in Negril
chicago
“This resort is Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

This was my 4th stay at Sunset at the Palms and I love it so much! The resort grounds are so beautiful and the accommodations are so unique! It is a boutique resort and by the end of your stay, you feel like you know everyone who works there! The staff is delightful and the beach is lovely! It is a relaxing, peaceful place and I highly recommend it. It is a unique and special place, and I will definitely return again!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

First, let me say that many hours were spent pouring over user reviews, photos and property descriptions as we searched for the perfect getaway from our Canadian winter. Having managed and worked in hotels for the last 20 years I had some very particular needs/wants when it came to "getting away from it all". Every dream was made reality at Sunset At The Palms. I say that without an ounce of hyperbole.

Past reviewers of this property on Tripadvisor have done an excellent job of capturing the essence of what you can expect of SATP in terms of layout of the resort, buildings and beach, thoughtful design and cleanliness of rooms, quality and quantity of food in the buffet and a la carte restaurant, and the entertainment and ambience that is unique to this property.

So I will add only that the staff is the one truly remarkable quality about this particular resort that already stands out from its peers because of the reasons noted above.

From the very moment of arrival at the beautifully landscaped entranceway (courtesy of Shorty) you sense that you are in for something different. It is like arriving at the home of a very well to do friend. From Kenroy who acted as porter/welcoming committee whisking us to our room, to the ladies at reception who had us checked into our room at the blink of an eye; to our wonderful buffet hosts Dwayne, Claudette, Lair, Harold, and "Ginger" for whom no request (spoken or otherwise) was too small or too big, to our humorous baristas/bar tenders Gavin and Kash, Venroy - king of the Lotus restaurant and painstaking detail to every moment of our dining experience, to Allana, Opal and the rest of the kitchen staff who prepared such memorable fare, from Alvin who took such pride in maintaining the facilities, to the unseen room attendants who ensured that our lovely room sparkled and was stocked with necessities, to the polished manager Sharon who orchestrated it all - I say humbly Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!

I've attached a few pictures for those of you who are still sitting on the fence about your decision to book one of the friendliest, laid back and stress free vacations you'll ever know. Happy vacations!

NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

I've been reading about SATP for over a year and finally on my 12th trip to Jamaica we booked to stay there. I've stayed at many places in Negril including Negril Gardens, Legends, Superclubs and Grand Lido and I was much anticipating my stay at SATP. Having been to JA many times I know that on occasion the hotel may overbook. I do not understand why or how this happens however it has happened to me at Superclubs. Knowing this I called the three days before we were scheduled to arrive to confirm we would not be overbooked. I was told on all three calls that although they were overbooked however it would not affect us. So we arrive as scheduled and are told they are overbooked and they are moving us to Couples for 2 of our 5 nights. After a long flight and drive to Negril, spending at least an hour at reception trying to figure out how this happened, explaining that I had booked a hair appt. at Sunset and we had a photographer coming for our engagement pictures and that it wouldn't be possible for us to relocate at the same time we were scheduled to take pictures we were finally told we'd only have to go to Couples for one night. The ladies, especially Tanisha (?) at the front desk did everything they could to accommodate us complete opposite of their manager, Ms. Sharon Powell who was nothing but rude and dismissive towards our problem. I almost couldn’t believe it when in attempt to call their main office she tried to move me away from the front desk by asking me to use a phone located in the corner of the piano bar while she checked other people in. Anyway, off we went to Couples for the night. If SATP 'bumps' you to Couples, GO! We had a wonderful time and even kicked ourselves for fighting to get back to SATP the next night! Couples totally took advantage of SATP's mistake and put us up in a suite, directly on the beach with a HUGE balcony and bathroom. The room was amazing! They stock your fridge with anything you request, champagne, any type of beer, soda, wine, all included! I even heard a bartender remember a girl & her room number (this is a big resort) & tell the woman that she got her the non-alcoholic beer and would have it in her room in a bit. The girl was amazed! The service was above and beyond. They offered extra touches that SATP did not. That said we weren't looking for all of the 'action' that is found at Couples which is why we booked SATP.

Back to SATP on the afternoon of day 2. They confirmed they had a room ready and sent a driver to pick us up. We were booked in the 300 block which are the older rooms and although they are remodeling some I'm not sure these had been remodeled. They did have the new showers & jets however the paint in the bathroom was peeling. The mattress was the hardest I have ever slept on and the daybed outside was smaller. The room couldn't have been in a better location though! We really had no complaints at all about the room, until the window fell out :) Day 4 - the window falls out and we are moved without a problem (at 10pm) to the 600 block. This room was definitely newer and brighter but the other room was fine as well. The 600 block is pretty far back in the resort, almost the last of the tree houses. Again, no complaints, the room was great.

3 rooms in 5 nights and all in all we had a great time. The food was great and the service was outstanding (besides our encounter with Ms. Powell). The staff are the reason we would absolutely go back there! The staff at breakfast was absolutely wonderful as was Kirk, The Captain, the bartenders and waiters. I truly can't say enough about the staff!!!! I do wish they had more activities scheduled during the day but we really enjoyed the evening entertainment. The resort caters to an Italian tour group who are staffed at the resort and they did have some activities going on for their group during the day.

The beach, although across the street (we knew this) is beautiful! Perhaps we were spoiled at Couples being able to be right on the beach :) The beach and pool chairs desperately need to be updated & they are in need of new towels too. The pool was a lot smaller than it looked from the pictures but there was never anyone in it so that wasn't a problem. Overall SATP would have been a perfect trip for us had we not had to deal with the aggravation of being bumped and still switching rooms 2 more times after that.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

How is it possible to describe such a perfection ? Because, yes, this hotel is just perfect!! We just come back of 10 wonderful days at the Sunset at the Palms and we are already thinking about “how could we go back as soon as possible?”.
This hotel is a peaceful, beautiful, amazing retreat… Everywhere you let your eyes fly, they will meet something which will help you feeling on your best holidays ever: A colorfull flower, a beautiful tree, a candlelight, the turquoise sea, a sunny sky, but on the top of that: Smiles, smiles; smiles… really, truly, warm smiles. The staff at the Sunset is amazing! Everyone is smiling, talking to you nicely, trying to know you better, always asking what they can do to make you enjoy even more your day, the bartenders are always singing, dancing, creating delicious cocktails, the “blue” guy at the beach is funny, helpful…. Well, everyone is just working so hard in such a good mood. Lolita, the wonderful lady at the front desk will help you find the perfect excursions, not pushing you on the most expensive, giving you perfect advices,… And Dwayne, one of the restaurant staff is absolutely the most smilling, kind and brave staff member of this hotel. We are so happy we had the chance to meet him!
Well… This reviews is already so long. I just want to add that we do not understand any of the bad reviews we saw on this website. The rooms are large, beautiful, extremely clean every day (the cleaning ladies comes twice a day and learn your “usual schedule” very fast in order to not disturb you). The outdoor bed on the balcony is really a “plus” and the view from the rooms is just sooo beautiful and relaxing. The garden is perfectly maintain and full of amazing flowers, trees and little lizards. The swimming pool is perfect and as clean as the rest of the hotel (perfect again), the entertainment every night were great (very good bands).The food at both restaurants is delicious, a different theme every night, a very good red wine at the table, as much cocktail as you can stand, gorgeous desserts and fruit,… Our best night was definitely the barbecue on the beach with different kind of Jerk food! So romantic, funny and delicious! Talking about the beach, it is just as perfect as anything else! Not to large, very private, delicious grill, delicious bar, as much deckchairs as you want. There is place to relax under the sun, under trees, … I do not have anything bad at all to say about the Sunset at the Palms. Of course it is not a place for you if you want to find 8 different restaurants, 12 different bars, 6 night clubs, noisy music on the beach,… I would say this is definitely a place for people who are looking for peaceful, relaxing, and high level hotels. A wonderful experience!

calalalala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

First, I want to say that my stay at Sunset at the Palms was truly wonderful. My boyfriend and I were looking for a relaxing time away from all the stresses of everyday life, and that's exactly what we got.
When I was researching where to stay I used tripadvisor as my main source of information, and I just wanted to add a few things to what people are saying that really added to my vacation and were major positives:
-they play reggae music all the time. And not just Bob Marley. That really added to my experience there.
-the nightly entertainment was generally a reggae band, and I have to say, laying in my daybed and listening to the live music was pure bliss, even if they played a lot of the same songs each night.
-it's really private, so smoking [if you want the full jamaican experience] is no problem.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

The Sunset at the Palms provided an incredible stay for my boyfriend, me, and another couple. The rooms were spacious and comfortable; beautiful, private "treehouses". The bathrooms were large and well decorated/maintained. The air conditioner worked well, even with the shuttered/ screened windows.
The grounds were beautiful and lush. There were so many varieties of palm trees and flowers. The grounds people even took time, as we were walking around the resort, to describe all the species to us. We saw a variety of lizards, and birds.
The pool was really nice, a bit small, but this did not matter, because it was not crowded, even though the resort was almost full. Ian was constantly skimming the pool to keep it clean. The hot tub was large, and quite bubbly!
The beach was lovely!!!! It was a short walk across the street, which really didn't bother us at all. There were plenty of lounge chairs and picnic tables. I also was glad for all the trees; they helped to get out of the sun, when you were feeling it too much. We enjoyed playing cricket with Randy and Clevon , as well as some other staff, the one afternoon. We did take several walks along the beach, but were not harassed too much. You just need to say no thank you! I think the guys were pestered more than the girls. There was no seaweed at our beach, and the water was crystal clear. We snorkled, but you didn't see too much: a few starfish, a conch, a sting ray, and lot of tiny, tiny fish. The beach grill was nice to have. The food was quite tasty; love the jerk chicken.
The a la carte restaurant was wonderful; you did not need to make reservations; it was never full. The food was tasty and well prepared. The buffet was great for breakfast and supper; we usually ate lunch at the beach grill. There was a variety of breakfast foods available; bacon, eggs, fresh-made omelets, pancakes, french toast, pastries, toast, oatmeal, cereal, fresh fruit, and even a cappuccino bar. Suppers were good; there was a different theme every evening. We really enjoyed the Jamaican night. There was a pasta bar available every night, as well as pizza. (This was because of the large Italian contingency staying at the resort.)
The staff was friendly and accommodating! Our welcome was warm and friendly; with could towels and fruit punch. The service staff at the eating places were always asking you how you were, and if you needed anything. The bar staff was great; you never, ever had an empty cup at the bar. Yes, the cups were small, but they were constantly being refilled. The conversation was always entertaining with these guys! Thanks to Garth, Omar, Captain Kirk, 45, Lair, TJ, Indiana Jones, among others for making our stay so memorable.
We did leave the resort one evening to go bar hopping. Mark (blue, very clean, car outside of the resort), took us to tourist spots, as well as local areas. We were always safe, and well treated.
Our stay was relaxing, and fun! The resort is small, and there isn't as much entertainment, as there is at the larger resorts. They make up for this in service, and serenity!

Southeastern PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

Beautiful scenery, clean rooms, laid back atmosphere, beautiful sunsets. Food was good for an all inclusive. Great beach bar. Walk across the street was no big deal at all. Beach was great, and no seaweed problems. Excellent customer service.
Only major criticism was very uncomfortable beach chairs. If you want a quiet, secluded little place near Negril (this resort was about 10minutes north of the town in "Bloody Bay") with great service and a tropical setting, than this is the place for you.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset at the Palms? Share your experiences!