“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset at the Palms

You added Sunset at the Palms to your Saves list
Sunset at the Palms
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd | Ruthland Point, Negril, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

We had our wedding/honeymoon here and it was incredible!!! The food was fantastic, the rooms were stunning and the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful! We would strongly recommend holidaying here, it was perfect.Can't wait to go back!

Our wedding planner Yvette was so helpful, we had nothing to worry about! We met up with her two days before our wedding and told her what we wanted, we had a ceremony on the beach and she made it so special, everything was better than we imagined!

We would also like to mention our BRILLIANT photographer Zavian! The pictures were stunning and he made us feel completely at ease, we saw him a few times in the resort after the wedding and he was so friendly, an absolute dude!

John Wayne's Taxi is essential for getting about! Such a great guy!!! We had a full day out and he drove us around and waited for us while we enjoyed our excursions.

All in all Jamaica was truly incredible! Such a magical place, the locals and our resort really made our holiday there! We hope to return very very soon!

Room Tip: Wifi is only available in rooms closer to the reception area - we were in one of the suites which wa...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

This is not a pro-party mega resort. If you like something that's small to mid size and quiet to just relax, this is the place for you.

Room: we stayed at a delux room, which is a standard room with a king bed. Every room has a patio with a daybed, which is a huge plus! The resort keeps a really nice garden throughout the resort. We spent a plenty of time in the patio, looking at the greens and hummingbirds over a cup of tea.

Our room was close to the lobby and the dining area. Which was good, but then we could hear the band playing pretty loud at night because the room was close to the lobby and dining area. We weren't that bothered or had trouble falling asleep, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone is annoyed by it.

Some things in the room are bit old. One of the shower heads were broken (we just didn't use it during our stay). The steel cap of water drain in the shower booth was tilted and we almost cut our feet while taking a shower. Ac was in a weird setting, which made us to think it's broken. Had a maintainence person to come over and hammer it down and fix the AC and all was good afterwards (shoutout to Gladston, who is the nicest and friendliest maintenance person I've ever met!)

Beach: Of all the beaches of Bloody Bay, SATP beach is probably the least loud/busy area. We liked it.

I know some ppl who posted here didn't like the fact that you have to cross the road to get to the beach, but I personally didn't find it troublesome. The road is narrow and there is a guard who makes sure you cross safely. Maybe we were fine with it because we are from a big city, where crossing crazy roads on your own is a daily business.

Honestly, I prefer how SATP keeps the beach "separated" from the resort and close it in the evening. Around noon the beach can get loud/crowded because of all the vendors/sales associates/music from other resorts, and in the evening weed dealers pop up here and there, except weekends . I'd rather have them away from the resort property (even though they leave you alone if you just say "no thanks." The beach was overall well maintained. I always saw someone cleaning the beach in the morning.

Food: we were pretty happy with the food. Eating at the resort all the time can be boring, but then this is a small resort, relatively far from the downtown. Some fruits were miss. Found some brilliant deserts though. Meats were of good quality. The lobby bar and beach bar makes the best drinks. Pool bar tends to make it too strong.

Getting around: SATP is a bit too far from the downtown, but they set up rides to the downtown frequently with a reasonable price. There are always several guides/taxis waiting to deal with you right out of the resort so I guess you can talk to them too. SATP also has a tour agent sitting at the lobby everyday, so there is no need to deal with multiple agencies.

Walking around in the resort in the evening can be a bit annoying, though. The lights are very dim and it's pretty hard to see/navigate. I understand some resorts keep their lights low to not to disturb wildlife in the resort and I totally support it, but they could have either place a lighting near the signs or place navigating signs on the floor. It took a while until we can navigate the resort like pros after the sunset.

Conclusion: we were happy to stay at the SATP, we wouldn't mind doing it again and would recommend this place. However, SATP may not be the right choice for some other vacationers. If you like partying, activity-packed resorts or wants to go out to the downtown often and wants 0 sec travel time to the beach, you won't like this place. If you want some quiet time to relax, SATP is probably the right resort for you.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Janesville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

If you're reading this review, you are probably looking for a beautiful place to relax and get away from it all. This is the place.

We visited from August 13-18 for our 25th wedding anniversary. The pictures simply do not do this place justice. It is FAR more beautiful.

We were indeed greeted with cold towels and a refreshing fruit punch drink, which was amazing after the hour or so bus ride from the airport. Our room was ready and waiting for us. The mini fridge had 2 Red Stripes, 2 Red Stripe Lights, 2 waters, 2 diet cokes, a pepsi and a bottle of Ginger Beer soda. They were replenished daily as needed. The room was cleaned each day as well and also the bed was turned down in the evening. We felt very spoiled.

The food was really, really good. There was really nothing we did not like. We ate breakfast at the buffet each morning. My husband took advantage of the abundant bacon and sausage, while I usually chose the amazing fresh fruit and hot cereal (either cornmeal porridge which I really enjoyed with brown sugar, or oatmeal). Omelettes were fantastic too. We ate lunch at the beach grill every day. I miss the red snapper. I am trying to find some here in Wisconsin so I can try to replicate it. It was that good. Also the nachos were fantastic, and this is coming from a Cheesehead! The buffet was really good each night as well, offering a different variety each day. We did not do the Chef's table but heard it was awesome. We did the Lotus Leaf restaurant one night and really enjoyed it. Food was excellent and it was nice to be served.

Which leads me to the staff. Everyone was fantastic. There was not one person who did not stop and greet us, always with a smile. Shout outs to Cherry who introduced me to Rum Cream in my coffee (spent a great deal of time at the coffee bar), and Christine and Annmarie (the prettiest girl on the resort, despite what Ken at the bar says :), who both served us several times and were absolutely fantastic! We spent a lot of time at the bar as well and it was a great place to spend the rainy late afternoons.

The grounds were absolutely stunning. No pictures here on Tripadvisor do the place justice. It is far, far more lovely.

The beach was beautiful, pretty quiet with the exception of the musicians who travelled up and down the beach. There were some vendors but they didn't bother us. Just say No Thanks and they respect that. Water was warm and very clear. We did the Wild Thing boat down to Rick's Cafe. Rick's was very cool, I would have liked to spend more time there. It was quiet when we were there so I got to swim in the pool on top of the cliff. Pretty awesome!! The boat ride itself there and back was loud, due to the music, so if you don't like that kind of thing, (I could have done without the music, but I enjoyed the ride) take a cab down to Rick's. There are many waiting outside the hotel. They will give you their card.

There's plenty to do if you have the inclination and the money to do so, but I was happy sitting on the beach and eating red snapper for 3 days, then moving to the bar or the coffee bar or our deck during the late afternoon when the rains came in.

This was a very excellent vacation. I can't say anything negative at all. Definitely, you should go! I hope I can go back sometime!

Room Tip: We had 507, which I think was right in the middle. It was perfect. A nice walk to the main area eac...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Brilliant hotel

Various tree houses set in lush gardens
Good choice of meals traditionally cooked
No queues EVER
Quiet with real Jamaican hospitality
Swimming pool lovely and tranquil with plenty of sun beds

Beach across the road lovely,again real Jamaican no gimmicks
Fresh food cooked and served on the beach
Few small stalls
Plenty quiet,areas

Negril 10 minutes away surrounded by countryside
Taxi into the mountains was good trip

Staff,friendly, drinks plentiful

Escape and to be. Highly recommended if you don't want typical tourist hotel

Absolutely relaxing

Room Tip: Suite is,up and downstairs
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

I just recently returned home from my first trip to Sunset at the Palms. This place is amazing, went with a friend, the tree houses bungalows with balconies are perfect! I believe we stayed in room 617, room was cleaned everyday and the fridge was stocked with water, beer ,and sodas daily. The food at the Palm grove restaurant was fantastic, they have different themes nightly and the service staff is the most professional staff I have seen in a long time.

The beach is a short walk across the street, that is where we spent most of our time. You have to try the beach grill Opal cooks the best snapper and jerk chicken.Drinks are great, and a big shout out to lifeguards Jamie and Clevon, it was so awesome meeting you! Will defiantly be returning to SATP in the future. Great vacation spot,beaches are gorgeous.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We chose SATP for a relaxing, no plans needed type of vacation. We were looking for all-inclusive but also intimate and budget friendly. SATP fit the bill perfectly. The resort is gorgeous and so are the rooms. The grounds are always well manicured and clean. I never got tired of looking at the different plants and birds while I was there.

The food was average to good with a few dishes that I felt I could call excellent (most being served at the Lotus Leaf). Disclaimer: I'm from New Orleans so maybe I'm just spoiled when it comes to food. I would definitely recommend heading to the Office of Nature next door on the beach for some grilled lobster. This was outside of the resort food but well worth it. The drinks are great. I love that upon arrival, we were served cold punch. I had so many good cocktails that I can hardly pick a favorite but some notables are the Dirty Banana and Tian's special. The coffee bar is great. I already miss Shannon's cappuccinos.

The beach is beautiful with plenty of sunny and shady spots. The beach is also open so vendors will approach you. This may bug some but a simple "no thanks" will keep them moving along. With a beach bar and a grill that serves good food, there's no reason to leave the beach.

As mentioned before in many reviews, make sure to bring plenty of bug spray. We went through 2 bottles and still got one or two mosquito bites. The drinks/water on the beach are served in small cocktail glasses so I was glad I brought a large sip cup. The wildlife noises at night can be pretty loud but I love white noise so I slept soundly. Also, we used Rocky's transportation for a roundtrip taxi and I highly recommend them. It's worth booking your airport travel before you arrive.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

This was a cute spot. Rooms are nice and roomy. Definitely don't feel like you are at a hotel. We sat on balcony and read, slept, and other things for hours during the rain. Entertainment and food have room for improvement. Paying for the ambiance. All inclusive fees were a little more than I would expect and told it was because food and alcohol were "top shelf". Absolute, Bacardi, and an unknown named tequila is not top shelf. I mean Jose Cuervo is a starting place and Ciroc or Grey Goose .....hell Titos over Absolute. French toast is amazing and offered every morning. Coffee bar is great. We definitely got monies worth out if it. Chefs dinner was long but ok. Lotus leaf restaurant get the corn cake and tuna!!! Yes I'm a foody :) oh and the tofu lentil burger sounds interesting but it was AMAZEBALLS. It was available at the bar on the beach. Yes, beach is across the street but not an inconvenience at all. Snorkeling your was ok at best but not much to see off the beach. Water is clear you can see bottom pretty far out just nothing special to see. We did see a sting ray on shallow water. Go to Zimbalis and then ask them for the Rasta tour with Fire. If you are looking for a authentic experience you have to do it! It's a hike though so be ready for a climb and a cold dip in a mountain spring/ water fall..... I'm missing it all right now just got home. $75 per person including transportation and 4 course meal for Zimbalis, $50 per person for Rasta tour.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset at the Palms? Share your experiences!