“Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset at the Palms

You added Sunset at the Palms to your Saves list
Sunset at the Palms
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd | Ruthland Point, Negril, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Janesville, Wisconsin
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

If you're reading this review, you are probably looking for a beautiful place to relax and get away from it all. This is the place.

We visited from August 13-18 for our 25th wedding anniversary. The pictures simply do not do this place justice. It is FAR more beautiful.

We were indeed greeted with cold towels and a refreshing fruit punch drink, which was amazing after the hour or so bus ride from the airport. Our room was ready and waiting for us. The mini fridge had 2 Red Stripes, 2 Red Stripe Lights, 2 waters, 2 diet cokes, a pepsi and a bottle of Ginger Beer soda. They were replenished daily as needed. The room was cleaned each day as well and also the bed was turned down in the evening. We felt very spoiled.

The food was really, really good. There was really nothing we did not like. We ate breakfast at the buffet each morning. My husband took advantage of the abundant bacon and sausage, while I usually chose the amazing fresh fruit and hot cereal (either cornmeal porridge which I really enjoyed with brown sugar, or oatmeal). Omelettes were fantastic too. We ate lunch at the beach grill every day. I miss the red snapper. I am trying to find some here in Wisconsin so I can try to replicate it. It was that good. Also the nachos were fantastic, and this is coming from a Cheesehead! The buffet was really good each night as well, offering a different variety each day. We did not do the Chef's table but heard it was awesome. We did the Lotus Leaf restaurant one night and really enjoyed it. Food was excellent and it was nice to be served.

Which leads me to the staff. Everyone was fantastic. There was not one person who did not stop and greet us, always with a smile. Shout outs to Cherry who introduced me to Rum Cream in my coffee (spent a great deal of time at the coffee bar), and Christine and Annmarie (the prettiest girl on the resort, despite what Ken at the bar says :), who both served us several times and were absolutely fantastic! We spent a lot of time at the bar as well and it was a great place to spend the rainy late afternoons.

The grounds were absolutely stunning. No pictures here on Tripadvisor do the place justice. It is far, far more lovely.

The beach was beautiful, pretty quiet with the exception of the musicians who travelled up and down the beach. There were some vendors but they didn't bother us. Just say No Thanks and they respect that. Water was warm and very clear. We did the Wild Thing boat down to Rick's Cafe. Rick's was very cool, I would have liked to spend more time there. It was quiet when we were there so I got to swim in the pool on top of the cliff. Pretty awesome!! The boat ride itself there and back was loud, due to the music, so if you don't like that kind of thing, (I could have done without the music, but I enjoyed the ride) take a cab down to Rick's. There are many waiting outside the hotel. They will give you their card.

There's plenty to do if you have the inclination and the money to do so, but I was happy sitting on the beach and eating red snapper for 3 days, then moving to the bar or the coffee bar or our deck during the late afternoon when the rains came in.

This was a very excellent vacation. I can't say anything negative at all. Definitely, you should go! I hope I can go back sometime!

Room Tip: We had 507, which I think was right in the middle. It was perfect. A nice walk to the main area eac...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
Norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Brilliant hotel

Various tree houses set in lush gardens
Good choice of meals traditionally cooked
No queues EVER
Quiet with real Jamaican hospitality
Swimming pool lovely and tranquil with plenty of sun beds

Beach across the road lovely,again real Jamaican no gimmicks
Fresh food cooked and served on the beach
Few small stalls
Plenty quiet,areas

Negril 10 minutes away surrounded by countryside
Taxi into the mountains was good trip

Staff,friendly, drinks plentiful

Escape and to be. Highly recommended if you don't want typical tourist hotel

Absolutely relaxing

Room Tip: Suite is,up and downstairs
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

I just recently returned home from my first trip to Sunset at the Palms. This place is amazing, went with a friend, the tree houses bungalows with balconies are perfect! I believe we stayed in room 617, room was cleaned everyday and the fridge was stocked with water, beer ,and sodas daily. The food at the Palm grove restaurant was fantastic, they have different themes nightly and the service staff is the most professional staff I have seen in a long time.

The beach is a short walk across the street, that is where we spent most of our time. You have to try the beach grill Opal cooks the best snapper and jerk chicken.Drinks are great, and a big shout out to lifeguards Jamie and Clevon, it was so awesome meeting you! Will defiantly be returning to SATP in the future. Great vacation spot,beaches are gorgeous.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We chose SATP for a relaxing, no plans needed type of vacation. We were looking for all-inclusive but also intimate and budget friendly. SATP fit the bill perfectly. The resort is gorgeous and so are the rooms. The grounds are always well manicured and clean. I never got tired of looking at the different plants and birds while I was there.

The food was average to good with a few dishes that I felt I could call excellent (most being served at the Lotus Leaf). Disclaimer: I'm from New Orleans so maybe I'm just spoiled when it comes to food. I would definitely recommend heading to the Office of Nature next door on the beach for some grilled lobster. This was outside of the resort food but well worth it. The drinks are great. I love that upon arrival, we were served cold punch. I had so many good cocktails that I can hardly pick a favorite but some notables are the Dirty Banana and Tian's special. The coffee bar is great. I already miss Shannon's cappuccinos.

The beach is beautiful with plenty of sunny and shady spots. The beach is also open so vendors will approach you. This may bug some but a simple "no thanks" will keep them moving along. With a beach bar and a grill that serves good food, there's no reason to leave the beach.

As mentioned before in many reviews, make sure to bring plenty of bug spray. We went through 2 bottles and still got one or two mosquito bites. The drinks/water on the beach are served in small cocktail glasses so I was glad I brought a large sip cup. The wildlife noises at night can be pretty loud but I love white noise so I slept soundly. Also, we used Rocky's transportation for a roundtrip taxi and I highly recommend them. It's worth booking your airport travel before you arrive.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

This was a cute spot. Rooms are nice and roomy. Definitely don't feel like you are at a hotel. We sat on balcony and read, slept, and other things for hours during the rain. Entertainment and food have room for improvement. Paying for the ambiance. All inclusive fees were a little more than I would expect and told it was because food and alcohol were "top shelf". Absolute, Bacardi, and an unknown named tequila is not top shelf. I mean Jose Cuervo is a starting place and Ciroc or Grey Goose .....hell Titos over Absolute. French toast is amazing and offered every morning. Coffee bar is great. We definitely got monies worth out if it. Chefs dinner was long but ok. Lotus leaf restaurant get the corn cake and tuna!!! Yes I'm a foody :) oh and the tofu lentil burger sounds interesting but it was AMAZEBALLS. It was available at the bar on the beach. Yes, beach is across the street but not an inconvenience at all. Snorkeling your was ok at best but not much to see off the beach. Water is clear you can see bottom pretty far out just nothing special to see. We did see a sting ray on shallow water. Go to Zimbalis and then ask them for the Rasta tour with Fire. If you are looking for a authentic experience you have to do it! It's a hike though so be ready for a climb and a cold dip in a mountain spring/ water fall..... I'm missing it all right now just got home. $75 per person including transportation and 4 course meal for Zimbalis, $50 per person for Rasta tour.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

This was my wife & mine first all inclusive resort trip, & out of the country trip for her. It was beautiful. We also were celebrating our 10yr anniversary & had an on the beach wedding ceremony. The staff at the hotel were wonderful & our photographer was number one, & came highly recommended by hotel staff. He was every bit worth it.

Room Tip: What ever room you get it doesn't fully matter, because your going to enjoy being outside much m...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for our honeymoon July 20-27. We had a fantastic time. This is not a party resort, it is quiet, only 85 rooms or so. The room we had was super private, the balcony overlooked the fields and we saw the sunrise every morning. The staff is constantly cleaning around the resort, it is really clean.
The room: very nice, fridge stocked with beer, pop and water daily. you even get a filled ice bucket daily. You get slippers and a robe too. The washroom is very pretty, modern and shower can fit 2 people showering at the same time. It was very comfortable. The windows have screens with shutters, so you should leave them shut so the cool air doesn't escape.

The resort: such beautiful décor, gorgeous wood furniture, and the gardens are just lovely! If you love nature, you will love this place. The grounds are kept really clean. The staff is super friendly and courteous. We didn't tip all the time, but when we did, they were even nicer lol. You get a cold hand towel and cold drink upon check in, which was great because it was so hot. It is about 90 min bus ride from the airport, bus had a/c though. There is a designated smoking area, so you cant smoke just anywhere, same with the beach. The pool was nice, we didn't use it because the beach was glorious.
The beach: LOVED it! You have to walk across the street to get to the beach, but there is a crossing guard. Its literally a 2 minute walk. guys help you with chaise lounge chairs, also there is a security guard daily (it is very safe regardless) It is a public beach, so locals walk by all the time, selling stuff or singing to you. If you're not in the mood, just say :I'm good" and they don't bother you. These 2 old guys singing thought if you made any contact with them, they were on you, but they were funny! Even the guys selling stuff, didn't bother us. If you walk to the right of the beachfront there are locals in huts selling all sorts of crafts and stuff. We bought some stuff, and had lobster lunch at ITAL's what a cool Rasta man! You can pretty much buy anything on the beach, just ask! Its cool! The water is just immaculate! So warm and SO CLEAR!!
The food: YUM! we ate at the buffet pretty much every night, and it was so good. They have theme nights, like Caribbean, Italian, Mediterranean. Even breakfast had new items daily. The bluee mountain coffee is SO GOOD!

The only thing I could see people complaining about is the wildlife sounds in the morning and night. They are cool sounds I had never heard before, but if you're a light sleep I guess they'd keep you up. Just have some Appleton and you should be good lol

If you love privacy and nature, you will love Sunset at the palms!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset at the Palms? Share your experiences!