“Amazing Anniversary- Couples Negril” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd., Negril, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 88 Hotels in Negril
Atlanta
“Amazing Anniversary- Couples Negril”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

I began researching resorts for our anniversary in Jan. I knew it would be one of the Couples (CN or CSA) but not sure which one, we settled on Couples Negril mainly due to the reviews I read here on Trip Advisor. We like small, romantic and intimate resorts which are what all the reviews mentioned and we were not disappointed. Let me first say words can't explain the resort and AMAZING time we had but I will try to touch on some of the highlights. We stayed at Couples Negril May 4th to May 11th. We have been to Jamaica on many occasions and stayed at many different all inclusive. Hands down Couples Negril is the BEST resort we have ever stayed at.

Airport-

When we arrived and cleared customs we went straight to the Couples lounge, checked in and while we waited for our transportation I had a couple of cold red stripes off tap and the Mrs. had a cold soda and then we were off to the resort. Drive time was approx. 1 1/2 hour and we stopped half way for a bathroom break and purchased some food & drinks (not included with the all inclusive we just enjoy the local food and after a long day we were hungry)

Resort

Upon arrival we were greeted with cool hand towels and a glass of champagne, check in went smooth, and we were off to our room in a matter of minutes. We had a room with ocean view, first room was on ground floor of building 8 the room was nice but not as private as we wanted so we asked for room change to higher floor and it was no problem mon, next day we were moved to building 7 room 7203 and the room and view could not have been better (see pictures posted from room). The room was very bright, bed was comfy and everything was Irie, no problem mon :-).

The resort grounds are amazing, perfectly landscaped, clean and very well maintained. There is one main pool with another small pool over by the garden rooms. The resort is split with the garden buildings (1 through 5) on one side and the ocean view buildings (6 through 9) on the other side. Everything is in close proximity so you don't have far to walk for anything. The pool is amazing as is the beach, soft sand on your feet and the water at 9 am in the morning was as warm as bath water. There are vendors who walk the beach and some who come by in boats or on jet ski's and simple no thanks and they continue on their way, no problem.

There are 4 restaurants, we only ate at one of the specialty restaurants Otahaite and it was excellent. The resort has an executive chef and you can tell they take time and pride in preparing the daily menus and food. All the food is excellent, the buffets were amazing and the themed nights were great. the food here was the best we had at any of the all inclusives we stayed at.

SERVICE

I had to put this category in bold type because the service is what stood out and is what set this resort apart from any other resort. The employees here aim to please everything is No Problem, just ask and if within reason they will accommodate. The staff goes over and above to make your stay awesome. My wife and I love Jamaica, we love the people, the food the atmosphere and the music. We always stay at all inclusives but also venture off the properties to sample the local foods and culture. One evening while the staff was setting up for the pool buffet we started talking to chef Tyrone, my wife mentioned how she enjoys the authentic Jamaican food and asked about the availability on the resort. Tyrone advised us that they cook meals to cover a variety of pallets and guest from different countries, but he also advised that each day they prepare more authentic meals for the staff and that he would be glad to share some of the meals with us. So for the next 3 nights we ate the same meals the staff ate and let me tell you WOW it was amazing. Our vacation already was amazing but this took it to over the top and our hats go off to Chef Tyrone and his staff.

There are a couple of people that need mentioning, Chef Tyrone, Franklin, Andrew, Ravon (spelling), Tyrone and Davia

To sum it up vacation is what YOU make of it, if you are looking for a resort with all the marble, glitz and glamour, then this is not the resort for you, but if you are seeking to have a vacation that provides you with the flavor of Jamaica and be pampered with service and food then this is the place for you. My wife and I both agree that we have found our home in Jamaica. I can now see why there are so many return guests to this property and we will be added to the list returning guests (God willing). So enjoy your stay, have fun because everything is Irie no problem mon.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (730)
Moncton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

My hubby and I have returned less than a month ago and have already rebooked for December. From the courtious and helpful front desk staff to the friendly and lovely maintenanance staff, thank you so much for the pride you take in your work.
I am also in the hospitality industry and although we were on vacation you all made it seem like you were on vacation with us. Everyone that we met during our week are an asset to the resort. To the management staff I would like to say ...keep up the terific job you are doing!
A few shoutouts to the boys serving us on the beach, you all kept our drinks flowing with the red flag service...Thank you.Although you were trainees I can see you will be a great addition to the staff.
To Pedro at Lychees thanks for the conversations and terrifis service! Those chicken rolls were delicious.
To all the staff at the buffet and the beach grill you were all so friendly ....Thanks.
It is because of all of you that we will be returning. See you in December

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Port Byron, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

I am so sad to report that so much has changed at Couples since we started going there. The staff is still so wonderful and friendly. The hotel location is fabulous. I think it is coming from higher up. If you read reviews on the Couples Website be aware that they are screened and only good things are posted. If a thread starts to question recent changes it "vanishes". I have written to the moderator "Randymon" and asked where the theads are going..no response. My last trip down there you can tell the staff is under pressure. There just isn't the easy vib there used to be. I am finally writting here because there was a nasty post from "Randymon" today on the message board the no requests for room will be honored. They said guest are getting too upset. Wow! I thought if you own a hotel keeping guests happy was your job. We love the scuba diving in Negril and we love the staff but are seriously doubting we will return. Guests are a bother to the upper management it seems. I am so sad about this.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Bethpage, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

My husband stayed there Apr. 24-May 1st and had a terrific time! The value cannot be beat! If it wasn’t for TripAdvisor, I would have never found this great place! We will definitely go back here!

The ride from the airport was long, about an hour and a half, but not bad as we didn’t stop in between. At the end the drivers said “we don’t work directly for Couples, so feel free to tip”. Everyone tipped. On the way home they did the same thing. The drivers were very nice and it was safe. The driver on the way home gave us a lot of history of the island.

Check-in was fairly quick, with a champagne welcome and some simple paperwork! We got to our room right away! BIG UP to HERBERT!!!

The grounds and hotel were lovely. I loved the washed out green on the outside. The grounds were very lush and tropical and the place wasn’t too big and wasn’t too small. It has boutiquey feel to it, and its so spread out. Like everyone mentioned one of the best things is that it never feels crowded, even when there’s lots of people. Its so spread out. They layout is PERFECT. You are never within more than a 2 min. walk for all you need.

We stayed in room 7307, ocean view, and we couldn’t have asked for a better room. It was great to have a view of the ocean, and be on the quiet side of the resort. The room was clean and just fine. Like everyone said, the room/bathroom is a little dated, but it was perfectly fine! We were in the room for about 1 hr a day, so it didn’t matter anyway! The shower pressure was lacking, but again, no big deal at all. There also weren’t any screens on the windows in the bathroom or sliding door, so bugs could come in, but not many did at all. The bed was very comfy. The AC was leaking to the floor a bit, but I never complained about it and just moved my stuff from underneath it. It wasn’t a huge deal, again. The fridge was stocked w/what we requested. It was great to have Red Stripe from the bottle a couple of times! As soon as the sun set every night, the tree frogs would come out, and they were cool to listen to.

The Beach was incredible! Soft sand, lots of cool trees (the Sea Grapes were my fave!) and warm, clear water. Couldn’t have asked for a better beach to float on every day. The only annoying thing were the jet ski guys asking us if we want to ride and having them jet off and make waves at us. Not cool. The red flag service and hammocks were great as well on the beach! I have a video of the man everyone knows on the beach “cigarettes, cigars cigars, its gonna be hot hot hot hot”  and will try to post it here.

The pool and swim up bar were good. The grout/tiles on the pool could use some scrubbing/bleaching/re-tiling.
Some of the pool bartenders could have been friendlier as well.

The food was the best we’ve had at an all inclusive. We’ve stayed in Aruba and Mexico, and the food here beat them both! Such good value for the money here. The omelet station and fresh fruit in the morning were awesome, and the beach grill and/or buffets were perfect for lunch. The nachos and soft serve ice cream were also something we ate almost every day, and a great snack. The Asian, Italian and Otaheite restauarants were all great. My husband loved the steak at the Asian place. What really stood out at the Saturday night buffet were the mussels!!! They were marinated and HUGE!!! The desserts were all amazing as well at any place we went to.

The bartenders at the beach grill and the terrace were awesome. I tried the Bob Marley shot, and it was rough. Not a fan of the crème de mint. The house white wine was an excellent Chardonnay that wasn’t too heavy. They had Ketel one vodka in the piano bar and Jack Daniels for my husband everywhere. Good stuff, he was happy about that. I also recommend the mojitos and Passion punch specialty drinks. The bottled WATA was great and I think they recycle all the thousands of bottles they go through a day I’m sure.

All the activities staff were so friendly! My husband got to play drums w/the house reggae band twice. He loved it and it was really great of them to let him play. The made a point to help him get on stage again a second time.
We did the glass bottom boat ride, snorkeling, kayaking and pedal boats. I highly recommend taking any of those. The snorkeling was great, as it was included in the price and we saw a lot of cool fish/coral at the reef. We also did Karaoke, the dance party night, and the piano bar sing-along. We also played pool every night!! That was a great little room. We were sorry the popcorn machine wasn’t working though.

One of my favorite nights was the Thursday beach party. They had a steel drum band on the beach, a little dance party, and then a fire dancer and bonfire. They also had an acoustic guitar/singer during the bonfire who was great!

There was also a casino night, but we didn’t partake as it looked too crowded.

We had a couples massage in the treehouse. It was very peaceful and therapeutic. We had the shiatsu massage. They went a little too fast for my liking, and I’m not sure the linens were all that clean, but it was well worth every penny!

We only left the resort once, to go to Rick’s Café. It was $30/couple round trip from 4-6:30pm. They pick you up after the sunsets. We had fun there watching the cliff divers, and great scenery. Its worth it to check it out. Only a 10-15 minute drive and you have to see the cliffs if you’re in Negril! The sunset we saw unfortunately wasn’t much of a sight, but I can imagine it being amazing on a sunny evening.

There was a free internet lounge with about 6-7 computers. That's almost unheard of at resorts!

I used the gym 3 times and they had TERRIFIC equipment/machines! Loved it!

We had a great time and can’t wait to go back! It was a perfect mix of relaxing and entertainment. You can do either/or or both and not have a care in the world for a week. Absolutely wonderful!

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
chitownshandi, Director of Sales at Couples Negril, responded to this review, May 18, 2010
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Negril. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and had some great memorable experience to share with Trip Advisor readers. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Andi Conway
Director of Sales and Marketing, Couples Resorts
Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

Couples Negril - excellent vacation! We did a lot of research prior to booking our vacation. We've stayed at the Grand Palladium in Punta Cana and have taken numerous cruises to the Bahamas and the Caribbean in the past.

Layout of Resort: A++++, we are a big fan of the layout at Couples Negril. It is compact and you don't have to walk too far to go from the room to the restaurants to the pool to the beach. The lobby, main building, restaurants, and pool is right in the center of resort so all the rooms are on either side of it.

Food: breakfast, lunch, and dinner is mediocre, we tried meals at all the restaurants including all the buffet nights. If you are used to more authentic Asian / pan-Asian food, you won't think Lychee is that great. The rest of the restaurants are okay but the desserts during the buffets are out of this world (so many different choices and they are all yummy)!

Rooms / Cleanliness: We got upgraded and stayed in block 6 on the 3rd floor and had an ocean view from our balcony. The room is nothing luxurious - they are okay. We found that the room was very damp due to the humidity and outdoor entrances (vs. indoor hallway leading to the room) and that all our clothes felt damp all the time and nothing dried properly in the room. Also, there were little gnats and ants all over the room. In hindsight, maybe we should have told the front desk about the problem.

Service: The service is all around amazing here - everyone is so nice and they are consistently always checking with you to see if you need anything during meals. Also, the red flag service on the beach is a great!

Beach / Pools / Activities: Beach is hands down the best beach we've ever been too. The water was calm and warm. The chairs and the floaties on each chair were perfect. We never had a problem finding shade or chairs. No need to wake up early and put towels down on the chairs to save your seat. The pool was nice as well - never too crowded but there aren't a lot of seats by the pool with shade. Water activities - snorkeling and catamaran (with swimming in the caves) were excellent! Also, aquacise in the pool daily was a great way to stay cool and feel like you worked out a little more than lie on your chair all day. We didn't try other water activities but heard great things.

Entertainment: The entertainment staff are great! They are so energetic and make an effort to meet all the guests and remember their names. The nightly band was okay - we really liked the Steel Drum band performance on the night of the bonfire - they are amazing! Casino night was also fun. Make it a point to attend an orientation after you arrive so you can learn about earning the funny money that you receive for participating in activities and can use during auctions to win souvenirs.

Spa: We did a couples massage in the treehouse and it was relaxing but the facilties were not as luxurious as we have seen before in Hawaii.

Internet: There was a business center that we did not use that had computers. However, we were able to get a low wifi connection from our room as well as on the beach. It is strong enough for a smart phone if you want to pull up your email or for light surfing of the web.

Transportation to/from Montego Bay Airport: The ride from the airport is about 1.5 hours - not too bad, we read it is further to Ochos Rios. The welcome at the airport at the Couples lounge was excellent, didn't have to wait too long for a bus and they took care of all of the luggage. The only tipping you'll need to do during your entire vacation is just for the guys who take your suitcases on / off the shuttles.

Comparison to Grand Palladium in Punta Cana - we would go back to Negril definitely before Punta Cana. The rooms at the Grand Palladium were more luxurious in comparison but food, activities, layout, beach / pool were all better at Couples Negril.

Cabot, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Couples Negril the first week of May. After an exhaustive search and reading of reviews, we chose Couples Negril and are certainly greatful that we did. This was the greatest vacation experience that we could have had. The resort is a beautiful tropical setting, the food is excellent and the staff is wonderful. The Jamaican people that you come into contact with along the beach and on the excursions are the most friendly people around and want to take every opportunity to tell you about their country. While the resort was near capacity, there was never a crowd, no waiting for dinner and always plenty of beach chairs.

Rooms - the Rooms are very nice - comfortable bed, flat-screen TV, mini-fridge that was well stocked as requested. The resort itself along with the rooms are traditional caribbean style. Housekeeping was exceptional. We always came back from the beach to a clean room and there was a nightly turn down service.

Food/Drink - The food was very good. The buffets in the Casava Terrace offered plenty of options. The bread and fruit were especially good and offered at every meal. Otaheite, Lychee and Heliconia restaurants were all good. Otaheite was excellent and worth making a reservation for. There was never any issue with waiting at any meal. There was a good variety of beer and quality liquor offered at the bars. The service at the restaurants/bars was excellent.

Beach/Pool - There were plenty of seats especially at the beach. The beach was very clean. The ocean was incredible and the sunsets can't be beat. The pool and jacuzzis were well maintained.

Activities - There are plenty of activities included free of charge- it's definetely worth doing the snorkel trips and the catamaran cruise. The activities staff was extremely friendly and go out of their way to see that you enjoy your stay. At night, they had live entertainment either on the beach or in the Cassava Terrace. The resort also offers a night time snorkel trip for an additional $35.00 per person that was well worth the money. A shopping shuttle and a craft market walk are both offered where discounted items can be purchased. Many of the same items can be purchased at the resort but you will pay a little extra for the convenience.

Other - There was a internet cafe. Wi-Fi is spotty about the resort, but this truly was not an issue. The spa was very nice and the couples massage on the beach was amazing. The ride from the airport is about 1.5 hours - it offers great views of many different parts of jamaica, so we did not mind it at all.

We will definitely be returning to Couples Negril. The staff is by far the greatest asset to this resort. Throughout many vacations you can find great food and great amenities. When these are combined with great service then you have a fantastic combination and this is what you have at Couples Negril.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Negril. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds like you found the amazing inclusions to your liking, complimentary catamaran sunset cruise, snorkeling and more. Your kind words regarding our staff are so appreciated. In fact, we were just honored with a very prestigious service award. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Andi Conway
Director of Sales and Marketing, Couples Resorts
Glenolden, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

This is the 3rd time my husband and I have been here. We have also stayed at all of the other Couples. The people who work here can't do enough for you. Entertainment Department people are great at getting you involved and always have time to help you out. This is the first time we stayed in a beachfront suite and it was worth every penny. We hated to leave. Everything from start to finish was WONDERFUL. We have been going to Couples every year for the last 9 years. Can't wait till next year. Denise McMullin

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Couples Negril? Share your experiences!