“Honeymoon was fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Couples Negril

Save Saved
You added Couples Negril to your Saves list
Couples Negril
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd. | PO Box 35, Negril, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #15 of 91 hotels in Negril
Marlborough, Massachusetts
“Honeymoon was fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We got the 2nd floor Oceanview suite overlooking the nude beach. This room was perfect for our honeymoon. Quiet, private, with amazing balcony views(which we enjoyed daily and nightly on our hammock) The restaurants were delicious with really relish vegetarian choices at each place, each night. Beach was awesome. From the flags you stick in the sand for a waitress to bring you a cocktail, to the clear warm water, this place is heaven.

Room Tip: Side overlooking nude beach is most private. The balcony ocean view suites are worth thee extra mon...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear MickHamlett,

Congratulations on your nuptial. We are pleased to have been given the opportunity to host you for your honeymoon. Great accommodation, food and entertainment in a tranquil atmosphere seemed to have worked out perfectly for you.

Thanks for sharing your comments. We hope to see you again.

2,984 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
Columbus, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

WOW. We just got back from our honeymoon (9/23/13-9/29/13) and I now know what everyone is talking about. That trip was everything we could have asked for. Thanks to the entire staff who made our trip unforgettable. Paul At check in was great he made such a great first impression for the entire resort but set the bar very high for everyone else to follow, and we were net let down. Shelly from the entertainment team is someone everyone needs to spend a little time with. She has only been at the resort for about 2-3 weeks but is such a cool person. She stops and talks to everyone and will do anything to make sure you are having a great time, just do not let her leave without hearing her sing you will not forget her voice she is awesome. I wish they would let her sing some night for the intro to showtime. Sheryl made our dinners and Bar time fun as her and my wife got along great and she was very nice. Camille at the pool bar is up to any challenge just ask her for her special and she will keep them coming all day long. Our Cleaning Lady (i never got her name) was great one time I came up to the room to get something just as she was walking out and she went back in to re mop the floors when I left her services were amazing. Richardo at the watersports took us on our first but definitely not our last SCUBA trip. I could not believe how great that was. My advice to everyone is try to SCUBA as soon as you arrive to allow plenty of time to get your certification. We met a couple that were there doing 22 dives in 14 days. I cannot wait to "return home" we are already planning our anniversary trip. We stayed in room 3206 and it was a little noisy from the main room and the construction from buildings 1,2 and the SPA but that is by no means a complaint, it did not affect our trip at all. I would love to see the renovations as soon as possible if anyone gets any pictures soon. Thanks again to everyone who made our Honeymoon so great.

Yeah Mon
Mike and Mandi

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Mike & Mandi,

I trust that you are still basking in the memories of your recent vacation here. We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your interactions with the team members who delight in sharing your company as well.

I will certainly relay your sentiments to them.

Looking forward to your return.

Bronx, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We spent from September 26-30 at Couples, Negril. This resort is very tranquil and has natural beauty. I prefer this one over Couples Swept away b/c of the private beach where there aren't many people soliciting for you to purchase items and the closeness of all the restaurants. You don't have to walk far for food or entertainment and the staff is very attentive to your needs. The shows are very entertaining, the food and drinks were good and fresh.. The best part is that if you sign up for the romance rewards you can stay at one and play at two. We had a good vacation. I would definietly return.

Room Tip: Go with the garden rooms, in my opinion it doesn't make sense to spend a lot on the rooms if you...
Dear Michie,

The Romance Rewards program you mentioned forms just as fraction of the many added perks of being a part of the Couples family.

We are pleased that you are considering to return in the future; looking forward to seeing you again - hopefully soon.

Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We got married Friday September 13th, 2013 at 11:00am on the beach. This is the greatest place on earth. The beach is clean and the water is clear. Very nice place to get married and have a honeymoon. We will definitely be back. We stayed in an ocean front suit and had direct access to the beach which worked out absolutely perfect. 8102 was our room number, on the ground floor. The room was very clean and nice. The bathroom was perfect. Service at the hotel was top notch. Everyone that we met at the hotel was friendly and spoke to us each tome. We ate lunch with a few members of the staff and got ask a lot of questions about Jamaica. The water sports were awesome. Shout out to Bubbalicious (Lavanne) and his captain who took us on the glass bottom boat ride. This is the second greatest thing after getting married that really made our trip the best ever. The glass bottom boat is not to be missed by anyone. And make sure you take it with Bubbalicious and his captain. The food was great at each restaurant. We never had a bad meal. My husband says the fried ice cream at Lychee is the best ever. He ate 2 each night lol. We really could not have picked a better location to be at to start our lives together. Thanks to the staff at Couples Negril.

Room Tip: Get the beach front ground room. You will like this better because you will have easier access to e...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Jennifer,

Congrats on your recent nuptials. It was truly a pleasure to have shared in your joyous occasion. It’s great to see that you were satisfied with our accommodations and the friendly service from our team members.

I will relay your kind sentiments to the rest of the team. We are pleased that you have decided to return and look forward to your next visit.

All the best!

Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I married at Couples Negril in 2002, it was truly an amazing experience! The resort had only been open 5 years or less when we got married. We had not been back to Jamaica since we got married so I thought it would be a great idea to book my husband's surprise 40th here. My husband only knew he was traveling abroad, but didn't find out it was Jamaica until the night before we left. When he found out he would be staying at Couples Negril, he was so excited. We arrived at Couples on Friday, September 20, 2013.

The Couples shuttle ride from the airport was our first indication that things might have changed for the worse from 11 years ago. The driver was nice, but not very talkative. Normally, the drivers make friendly conversation, especially when they know it is someone's first time to the island, but hard for him to know if there was first timers if he never asked us anything except who was going to Couples Negril and who was going to Swept Away. My husband and I made conversation with the other 2 couples who were first timers to the island and we gave them some information on things to do, etc. (it was my 4th time to Jamaica, my husband's 3rd). He also drove super slow, an hour and a half trip took us two and half hours!!! In my opinion, the driver was bored with his job and tired of talking to tourists....not the person you should have picking up the hotel guests from the airport on such a long ride!

We arrived at the resort, check in went smoothly, but the young lady who checked us in also did not seem like she wanted to be there either. We brushed these things off after a friendly young lady walked us to our room and an equally friendly gentleman arrived with our luggage. Our room was suppose to have been beach front, it was more like, side front. You could see the beach from our balcony if you stretched your neck out far enough to look beyond the tall palm trees. We had a perfect view of the small pool in front of the water sports hut. After 11 years, we were expecting to be blown away when the door opened to our room, instead, the room was outdated, the tiny refrigerator looked like it was from 1980, no fancy toiletries (only 1 small bar of soap and 1 shower cap), the bathtub looked like it needed a good acid wash and the cheap outdated wicker dresser was a joke. Honestly, I was in shock!!! The room was the equivalent of a 3 star Fairfield Inn suite rather than a suite at a luxury resort. I should also mention that our mini bar was not stocked when we arrived, it had 2 Red Stripe beers, a Gingerale, 1 Pepsi and 1 Ting. Also, 2 guests mentioned to our guide that their wifi service had not been working for hours, she blamed it on an earlier storm, however, it did not work for our entire stay. So, we quickly found out that no improvements had been made in 11 years and what a shame with all the money this corporation makes!!

Do let me get to the pros before I continue on with cons. There are a few employees that I want to recognize that exhibited nothing but professional and welcoming behavior: Kadeen (waitress), 2 gift shop employees whose names I didn't get but one, a young guy and the other, a young lady who looks Trinidadian or Guyanese, they had so much excitement in their voices when talking about Jamaica and telling us about places we should go to hear some good dance hall music. They had a jewelry table set up outside the dining area on Friday night. The other person is Sonia Stevens in the photo shop. She took my e-mail address before we left so that she could track down some photos we had taken (the photographer forgot to ask for our room number) and I really didn't think she would get back to me, but she did, I greatly appreciated that! Not thrilled about paying $15 US for 1 5x7 photo, but since she went through the trouble of tracking them down for me, that's the least I could do. Lastly, I want to acknowledge all the staff in the Lychee Restaurant, the service is excellent there! If it wasn't all Asian cuisine, I would have eaten only in that restaurant! The food was also very good. I would suggest the resort take notes on customer service from the staff in the Lychee Restaurant! We were also thankful to the young man at the tours desk who was able to get us on the catamaran cruise at Couples Swept Away since the one at Couples Negril was not operating on the days we were there, it was such a nice cruise and we also got to see a little bit of Couples Swept Away---it seemed way better than Couples Negril! One improvement we did see after 11 years, there is now 4 restaurant choices + a 24 hr grill. The food was good, no complaints there except no Jamaican cuisine served, only 2 items at the 24 hr grill, that's a little crazy! The nightly entertainment was excellent. If I was a music scout, I definitely would have signed the band, the steel drum performers and the female singer all to a contract, they were amazing!!! I would suggest having the band perform in the Piano Bar because that room was dead every single night, this says that the entertainment is not appealing enough for the guest to even bother with. A live dj wouldn't hurt. That's about it for the pros---unfortunately!

Cons: Staff don't seem like they want to be there, majority of them don't even speak to you, a big difference from 11 years ago. At any given time you might see 4 or 5 staff members huddled together as if they are on vacation. Front desk staff should always be welcoming and friendly, they set the tone for stay. All of them were rather grumpy, the last young lady hassled me about getting the survey. Now why would I give her my survey so that she can throw it in the trash?! I told her I was writing a letter to the President of the company instead, in which I do intend to do so that I can let him/her know that I think it is very tacky to include a $5 donation for something called ISSA Trust Foundation, in with the bill. It would be more honorable for the company to cut a check themselves to the schools in Negril with all the money they have made and are making, instead, they want guests to make the donation and we would have to wonder how much of the donation is actually going to the schools IF ANY, that's unbelievable! As many have already stated, the decor is outdated, the buildings need a good power wash and paint job. Even if they painted one building a month, I'm sure that cost could come from approx. 3 couples stay. I read several reviews where the manager tried to justify this by saying something about how they are going for the "rustic look" this and that, but that's not going to cut it with me because after not visiting in 11 years, it's a shame that no cosmetic upgrades to the place have been done! We went next door to Riu to visit friends and the place put Couples to shame and for a fraction of the cost!!! Don't expect to see top shelf liquor regularly, I think I saw 3 bottles of top shelf the entire time we were there, but saw plenty while at Couples Swept Away. Don't expect your room to be cleaned early, they usually show up around 4 or 5pm. Restocking of your mini bar has to be requested before 7 pm, I called once at 6:52 and got a voice mail, no service of course. Don't expect bottled water anywhere at the resort, not even in your mini bar, that's unacceptable, after being out in the sun all day or drinking all day, you need water, preferably bottled water (Rui had plenty!). Better pack some in your checked in luggage!

All in all, we still had a great time in Jamaica, we always have a blast in Jamaica, but one thing is for sure, we will NOT ever stay at Couples Negril again unless it is FREE! I would recommend that people read not only all the positive reviews, but also take a look at the average and poor reviews as well. When you see that several people have similar complaints, let that be your red light to keep it moving!

Room Tip: As far away from the main dining area, the nightly entertainment can be very loud and usually doesn...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Abraham I, Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for providing us with helpful feedback based on your recent stay. Our management team takes time to read these comments in order to improve where necessary and better our overall service.

We do apologize for the unsatisfactory ground transfer experience to the resort. The drivers are not our employees, however, a letter will be written to the relevant superiors.

In regards to the areas you mentioned as poor, action is already being taken. Wireless access points are being installed on every floor. Renovations in both rooms and public areas are taking place. Mini-bar and housekeeping services are personalized to your liking, however we only deliver beverages when guests are present in order to fulfil exactly what is requested. The discontinuation of water bottles on property is in accordance with Earth Check standards to reduce waste, improving the natural environment on the Island. Lastly, our ITF foundation is a recognized charity organization (in USA too) which benefits local education and medical care. The $5.00 we place on room bills is a temporary preauthorization and not compulsory. This is stated in guest welcome packets and expressed verbally by our front desk agents.

Again, on behalf of management, we sincerely appreciate your review. We are glad you enjoyed some aspects of your holiday with us. We continue to monitor this site in order to ensure customer satisfaction.

Abraham Issa OM
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This is our second time to Couples Negril. We have been to Jamaica 15 times and the Couples resorts never disappoint as far as service. The rooms are a little dated but they are in the process of renovating them. What the rooms lack in decor is more than made up for by the excellent housekeeping service. Our room was always clean and always plenty of clean towels. Staff are excellent and go out of their way to keep you happy. Diving was excellent. Steven is one of the best Dive masters. The food was excellent. Management is visible and actually listen to any issues that might arise. My only negative comment would be the house wine is very poor. An upgrade would be a big improvement. We won't hesitate to return.

Room Tip: The resort is not that big so no matter where you are, it's not a very far walk. We prefer a bal...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Sherry,

Thank you for your suggestions and for sharing your kind review. As you mentioned, we are refreshing some areas on property to step up the appeal of our accommodations. Listening to your concerns assists us in maintaining our high standards and keeping our valued guests satisfied.

We hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,

East Brunswick, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We chose this place based on the reviews and we were not disappointed. It was a true paradise and the food was so amazing in all the restaurants, the staff was great! "respect". We talked to a lot of couples who go there regularly, so if you repeat a place it must be good.
If you want to take a trip outside the resort I recommend you Rick's cafe, the views and the atmosphere were great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Damafina,

Our dedication to excellent service is just one of the many reasons why the Couples Negril family is so large.

Looking forward to counting you among our list of repeaters.

Couples Negril Management.

Been to Couples Negril? Share your experiences!