“Paradise found!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 87 Hotels in Negril
Newnan, Georgia, United States
“Paradise found!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I am a review fanatic, that said let me begin with the fact that I read reviews on Sandals, Couples and Several boutique hotels in Negril and hands down, the reviews on Couples Negril were consistent with giving it the best overall reviews.
I had been to Negril in 2001 staying at the Grand Lido,next door to Couples Negril and loved the calm of Bloody Bay,so with Couples Negril and Bloody Bay, I knew my vacation was off to a great start.
I booked our trip, August 2 thru 9, 2013 thru Funjet Vacations at the best possible price I could find on the Internet, this company made the transaction quite easy for me and even offered a payment plan with only a $400.00 down payment and the balance due 45 days prior to our departure.

We flew Air Tran and I upgraded to business which made the beginning of our trip much more enjoyable for only an extra $218.00. Upon arriving in Montego Bay we had about an hour long wait thru the lines into and thru customs and then we were directed to the Couple Lounge and Reception area to await the Shuttle to Negril. We were enthusiastically greeted and offered Red Stripes while we took our seats and I already felt as if I was home,beautiful,festive but calming decor and the staff was so friendly and inviting. Within 5 minutes they announced that were loading up, the porter took our bags along with 3 other couple we would be sharing our ride with.
We had arrived in Montego Bay at 2 p.m. and the trip to Negril, complete with rest stop took about and hour and fifteen minutes.
Once we stepped off the shuttle,there were NO WORRIES! That's the phrase, No worries mon!
The staff wouldn't dream of us touching our bags as they proceeded to load them for delivery to our room,we were greeted and seated in the open air lobby with a cold face towel to refreshen ourselves and served a chilled glass of champagne. The check in process was quick and smooth and we were shown a few areas close by, the Activities Desk, Piano Bar and told to make any reservations for Otaheite at the Activities area, where the hanging swings are located just off the upper lobby area and behind the clothing boutique.
We were then guided to our room 1108, which was conveniently located behind the Heliconia Restaurant/Beach Grill. We were also just down from Lychee, the Internet Cafe, Game Room and Fitness Center,so we were more than pleased with the location and the room. No noise,other than your normal foot traffic of others in the building walking by but honestly we never heard a thing. We also overlooked the Spa and meditation pond from our terrace and we could just see the Bay off to the left as we sat drinking our morning coffee.

Our first night there we ate at the Cassava Terrace,open air dining where all Breakfast Buffets and Lunch Buffets ate served. They also have a couple of Dinner Buffets and evenings where they offer a la carte,we had Lobster our first evening and I can't honestly give it 100% as my lobster was mushy and my boyfriends was very hard and dry. I am assuming since it was Lobster night they boil these in a bulk amount since they serve it at all restaurants on Lobster night,that may cause them to be overdone or jay dry as they wait to be served thru out the evening, but other than that the vegetables and dessert were very good as was the service.
We went to our room early,tired from the days trip and found our bed turned down with an origami swan towel and our mini bar was stocked with Red Stripe,Ting, Diet Pepsi, Pepsi and Ginger Ale.

While there we ordered room service once and I must say,the fruit was spectacular,succulent,fresh and chilled just perfect, as we're the Danish and coffee. Other than that we took Breakfast after our morning workouts at Cassava and enjoyed the selection on the buffets and the made to order omelettes. The selection of Danish was to numerous to list,the banana bread is heaven and you must try the Chocolate Croissants. I need not elaborate on the coffee, as it is Jamaica Blue Mountain and that is known world wide and unparalleled in taste.
For lunch you could choose Cassavas Buffet,yet again very yummy and quite a selection or you could got to the Beach Grill,known as the Helleconia Restaurant in the evenings.Jerk Chicken is a must while there and also the Meat Patties, always on hand in the self contained heated turntables. They also offer Hamburger, Cheeseburgers and Club Sandwiches and there are Sweet Potato chips served warm and in a self serve heated container close to the salad bar area and the Beverage area, all self serve.

The Helleconia Restaurant at night serves some wonderful dishes and I had the Best dessert while dining there one evening, a Chocolate sensation that I will never forget ! Denver, our waiter even brought me an extra slice of this cake,wrapped, for me to take to my room for us to have later.it fit perfectly in the mini fridge. Not to leave out the crown jewel , Otaheite, fabulous food, fabulous service and fantabulous desserts!!!! We were fortunate enough to get reservations on a Sunday and then again the next Wednesday. I was surprised at how dressed down some of the women and even their men were, but to each his own. I dressed in formal attire, as my guy likes to see me pretty on occasion and what better place than on vacation and at a 5 star restaurant

The service is yet another topic.......absolutely wonderful, there is nowhere I have ever been where the staff is so upbeat,helpful and will do almost anything to make your stay enjoyable. From the restaurant wait staff,room service, the front desk, the shuttle drivers, the watersports staff,the bartenders,spa attendants,pool and beach service, each and every employee we encountered is what made me give this resort a Five Star rating.

I took several pictures of our room, as I own a Cleaning Service, a few reviews had complained about damp smells, rooms in need of updating and as a very,very picky person, I found the room to be perfectly clean,floors buffed to a high sheen,with not one trace of sand and it smelled clean. I had packed an Airwick Tropical scent for this trip and did put that out to enhance the tropical feel! I did notice upon arriving that they had a duvet to put at the end of the bed and a pillow roll for the bed, but these were in the closet, I do feel that the overall ambiance would be more so if the bed were made with these items upon arrival of each guest, as it completes the look and feel of the room. The air conditioner was A+, kept the room chilled as much or as little as we required.
The bed was turned down each evening with towel origami always on the bed,a very nice touch.

The Spa......bliss! We had a couples massage and it was my boyfriends first massage ever, and now he has said it won't be his last, he loved it as did I, so very relaxing and the smell of lemongrass in the air was divine. First thing I bought when I returned home was Lemongrass essential oil and a diffuser,now I can pretend I am in Jamaica at Couple Negril unit we return, which we intend to!

The watersports, Cattamarran Cruise was so much fun,rum punch served to and fro and the staff very helpful,we lost our room key in the ocean while jumping off the boat and Norman, the bartender dove down to the bottom and retrieved our key and a fellow passengers watch! While in the water my boyfriend got a little sting by a jelly fish and yet again Norman to the rescue with some Rum on the wound.
My boyfriend got the last slot for a Wednesday class and then a dive, so he had his first ever diving experience and LOVED it, so much that when we go back he is going to get the Certification that Couples offers.
We also did the glass bottom boat trip and the staff was very informative and colorful with their stories of Pirates of long ago and a little history and preservation information on the Coral reefs as well. They also pointed out highlights along the stretch of 7 mile beach and then returned us back to the welcoming arms of Couple Negril.

Many nights we would walk down to watch the sunset and notice the paths lot by candle light leading to private dinners on the beach overlooking the tranquil blue and turquoise waters of the Bay. What a nice touch for those who are on a honeymoon, renewal of vows, anniversary or a just because I love you moment. The beach by day was stocked abundantly with chairs and floats,as was the pool. Towels and red flags were located at the Tiki hut on the beach, must get your red flag for the beach drinks!
The pool was busy at times,just depended and we hung out more at the beach, as I love looking at the water and floating in the ocean. Pool was kept beautifully and the bar was stocked and kept the drinks coming. It was a Piña Colada week and the best ones were made at Cassava Bar, as they make them fresh and the Bar Grill got them from a machine albeit good drinks but the made to order ones were the bomb! Humming birds and Dirty Bananas were also drinks I tried......yummy !

We took a taxi for a $15 plus I tipped him $10, to the Harley Davidson store just p the road and he pointed out highlights as we drove. It was the Independence Week when we were in Jamaica August 6, was their Independence Day. So, there were many parties going on and there was one that comes each year sponsored by Smirnoff and it is a traveling party with themes for every night . Although we didn't take the time to venture off property in the evenings, choosing to stay for entertainment at the resort, we will most likely check out Ricks and Margaritaville upon our return.

We did go shopping at the local Times Square, with the shuttle and they had some good deals on souvenir T-shirts,liqueurs and kitschy items. Jewelry,not so much, other than tax free.

Before we left I just had to walk next door to the Grand Lido where I had stayed 12 years ago and I must say looking at the outside, the way the beach area was kept, the postage stamp balconies and just the general upkeep that I could see, I was SO, SO happy with my choice in staying at Couples Negril.

I will close with this, this resort is where you come to relax or to be as busy as you want on your vacation. The staff here is ready to assist you in doing either of these and the property is beautiful, the foliage stunning and staff is out in the morning literally clipping the grass with hand held shears,
Attention to detail is abundant here and the rustic feel here, the sea green/blue paint on the buildings with the patina on the walls, makes this look like it is the lost City of Atlantis before it was covered with water. It is a fairy tale waiting for you to write your own story and it was my fairy tale for a week in August!
I want to thank Couples Negril for making my trip back to Jamaica feel like coming home and we will come back home soon!

Room Tip: I loved 1108 no noise and close enough to everything! Close to spa, game room,Lychee,Halleconia,walk...
17 Thank GeorgiaGal63
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear Repeat Guests,

We are grateful that you took the time to share such a refreshing review. Upon arriving in Jamaica, many have expressed the feeling of being at home. The shuttle transfers from airport to resort gives an opportunity to peek into lives of the Jamaican people and enjoy the beautiful landscape.

Your experience is seen as an assessment of our efforts and it is clear that we have met your expectations. I am sure many readers can confirm getting a synopsis of our offerings even without being physically onsite.

Thanks for your suggestions and insights.

We look forward to counting you among our repeaters on your return.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

We went for our honeymoon! We had a blast, food was delicious, staff was very friendly and quick to serve. Very laid back and relaxing atmosphere! We can't wait to go back. I highly recommend Couples Negril!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Porkchop00
Dear Recent Guests,

We are happy that you had a wonderful honeymoon experience. Thank you for recommending us.

We look forward to your return as well.

Shawnee, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The resort is beautiful the food is fantastic everything is wonderful! The beach is gorgeous and the people that work at the resort couldn't be better. Couples Negril is our favorite vacation spot! The rooms are great even the less expensive ones. We have also meant other couples at the swim up bar it's a fun party place to meet people. We have been 4 times and we always want to rerun after trying out other reports in Mexico. Couples has the happiest staff that is there year after year and always to out of there way to make sure everything is great. The piano bar is a great place to to I'm the evening great music and drinks.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shelli E
Dear Shelli,

I see that your experience here at Couples Negril has unearthed beautiful friendships. The Piano Bar does offer a great selection of entertainment activities.

Thank you for sharing your experience with others.

Hope to see you again.

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a one week stay at Couples Negril (CN) (8/26 - 8/31). I would give this resort 3.5 stars, but since that isn't an option I chose 4. I'll start with the positives.

Beach - the beach at CN is absolutely amazing. I've traveled to several Caribbean islands and this is by far the best beach I've experienced. The water is so warm and calm. CN offers floaters that you can take into the ocean. So awesome.

Dinner - Dinner at CN was fantastic. Lychee has the best food in my opinion. The Lychee martini is a must try. The reservation-only restaurant was decent as well.

Service - Everyone at CN was welcoming and accommodating. They were friendly and engaging without being overbearing. Timar was our favorite!

Pool - Although CN only has 1 pool, it was huge! And most importantly, clean. The water was just the right temperature.

Now on the to the negatives

Breakfast and Lunch - I was somewhat disappointed in breakfast and lunch at CN. Birds and bugs were frequent visitors during the buffet style meals. Lunch at the Heliconia grill was average at best. The staff wasn't very friendly.

Mosquitoes - If you plan to visit CN or anywhere for Jamaica for that matter, during rainy season, BE SURE to pack bug spray. I used bug spray the entire time and still got several bites.

Rooms and Overall Decor - Everything was clean, so that's a plus. However, CN needs a major decor revamp. A power wash and coat of paint would go a long way. The bedding in the guest rooms was low quality. The tiles in the bathroom were stained.

Overall, it was a great trip and the positives definitely outweighed the negatives. We met some great people. While I wouldn't be a in a rush to return, I would recommend to others.

4 Thank Amber H
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Amber,

We are all glad that your Anniversary trip to Couples Negril was an enjoyable one. Our Tropical climate does have its fair share of challenges with mosquitoes; however, we are not daunted in our efforts to address them and will continue this process.

The service issues you related in regards to your dining experiences are not consistent with our standards and will be addressed.

Thank you for recommending us.

We are currently refreshing areas on property as you suggested and look forward to hosting you more comfortably another time.

Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

So we got married at an amazing resort iberostar rose hall suites and then moved over to Couples for our honeymoon and I have to say I was very disappointed. When we booked our room they have a honeymoon package where we get a 25 min massage and a bottle of champagne. I asked the check in girl about an upgrade since we just got married 2 days prior however she never even checked if there was any availability for upgrade her name was Lesa Marie something like that. so I was already frustrated with the resort. then we get to our room and it is just a typical room no Jacuzzi tub like we had at the suites no fruit in the room as we were given at the suites no bottle of champagne as we got upon entering the room at the suites. Our room was a garden room view which to me should really say forest view. I was scared to leave the room at night because their was too many trees. when we got to the resort we were hungry so we headed over to the helconia to grab a bite to eat our food almost got eaten by the goose or duck what ever the animal was that is apparently at the resort on a daily basis. My husband was very irritated by this and thought it was very unsanitary. All of the staff seemed very unapproachable which was a turn off. Yes we were on our honey moon but the resort seems more so for people that are getting ready to die. we wanted the option for the resort to be "turned up" and it really doesn't ever get turned up. The food was more so for americans I didn't travel to jamaica to eat the same food I left in the US. That was disappointing. They only provide really one jamaican dish and everything else is the typical american food I could have stayed at home for. there were a few people that I loved on the resort which they were monique, Natasia, okenyo my spelling of there names are off but needless to say they helped to make our stay there more tolerable. we stayed there for 6 nights and I am sorry to say that I would not return to this resort.

Room Tip: If you are looking for really nice rooms this is not the resort for you.
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Jonelle C
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Jonelle,

It was a pleasure hosting you recently at Couples Negril, however, we are concerned to learn that you were disappointed with your stay. I suspect that your experience at the Iberostar Hotel fuelled your expectations here at Couples Negril. You may appreciate however, that Couples Negril is a different style of resort compared to Iberostar. With a more intimate setting, our accommodations and facilities are in keeping with our theme of a tropical, rustic and romantic ambiance.

Room upgrades are subject to availability and in the midst of our refurbishing projects, some rooms were closed to facilitate this exercise. Incidentally, similar to the Iberostar hotel our suites are compete with Jacuzzis as well; however the other room categories namely; Garden view, Ocean View and Beachfront do not.

The extensive foliage at the resort (which consist mostly of palm trees) is intentional which allows a partially obstructed view of the ocean. We have security personnel on site at all times to ensure your safety.

I am sorry to hear that Our food offerings did not appeal to you. The choice of Menu embraces Asian and Mediterranean influences along with our Caribbean specialties. We have noted your comments as we continue to make improvements. There are programs in place to address the birds in the Dining area.

Thank you for mentioning those who offered exemplary service. We do hope to be given the opportunity to grace you with our signature "Couples" hospitality another time.

Wishaw, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

My Husband and I stayed for 2 weeks in Couples Negril in August 2013 (We are from Scotland). We had an amazing time! The food was first class, the drinks were excellent and the staff were all fab! Especially Lyndon and Franklyn in the Piano Bar were first class and we thoroughly enjoyed the sing a long with Paul Tucker in the Piano Bar! Our experience within the restauarants were made especially good by Kesneil & Omar. Andane was a character aswell!

The entertainment team were first class, especially Okeno, Kiev and Shauna! The daily and nightly entertainment was excellent!
The Otaheite restaurant was excellent, however make sure males dress with long trousers, collared shirt or t-shirt and shoes and ladies dress in a nice dress/outfit! its worth it as the food is so good!
The only downfall of this hotel was the rooms. We were staying in a garden room, and we just felt that it could have benefited from some general maintenance and a revamp, however, they are currently upgrading the rooms,which we feel will really benefit the hotel. We would highly recommend this hotel to family and friends and would definitely go back ourselves!
My husband undertook his PADi diving certification whilist we were in Couples Negril, and he ended up doing 11 dives throughout our vaccation. Sugar, Steve & Taffy were all excellent instructors, and the value for money for the watersports etc was excellent! If you are a scuba diver do not miss the night dives, as this is a truly amazing experience,and well worth the $50 dollars supplement!

5 Thank Debbie B
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Debbie,

From your review we clearly see that our objectives are have been met. Congratulations on your husband’s PADI certification. I see that you took advantage of our inclusions and enjoyed the assistance of our team members. We do enforce the dress codes at our restaurants and as you highlighted there are some anticipated changes to be made to our accommodations.

Thank you for your recommendations and for mentioning those that made your stay even more memorable.

Do come again.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We just got back from our honeymoon at Couples Negril. In summary, we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly and are already talking about going back for our anniversary. We met a few repeat visitors during our stay and that speaks volume of the resort. But like any other resorts, there is always room for improvements (see my list of cons).

I am an experienced traveler who have stayed at many 4 and 5-stars hotels globally, and I have to say that the level and quality of service at Negril was exceptional. Truly worthy of 4 or 5-star standards. In terms of activities, there is something for everyone.

One thing that stood out for me was the amount of effort the staff put to make us feel welcomed, special, and pampered. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. We had our fair share of not fantastic service but no place is perfect, and the ones who tried, tried really hard to make it perfect for us (i.e. remembering our names, what activities we did, reminding us of upcoming activities -- A shout out to the entertainment crew who really surprised me with their level of service. Sherika and Ricardo were exceptional, going out of their way to accommodate our requests. Omar from watersports was always hilarious and entertaining).

Pros
- Excellent beach front. Pristine beach, crystal-clear blue waters, shallow enough.

- Welcoming atmosphere. Outstanding service.

- Decent variety and selection of food

- Quality of food is great (Jerk chicken at the Heliconia grill is a must-try. Lobster night on friday is my favorite. Best quality of food so far is at the Heliconia grill during dinner and OTAHEITE)

- Lots of activities to participate in (there is always something to do or something on)

- Tons of free lessons available (tennis lessons, wakeboarding, skiing, sailing, scuba diving, list goes on)

- Multiple good spots for diving and snorkeling

- Relaxing atmosphere for those who wish to chill, and a full schedule of activities for those who are active

- Noise level was perfect.

Cons
- The whole property is tired looking. Needs a fresh coat of paint. And would benefit from remodeling in certain areas.

- Titles in our beachfront suite bathroom and floor had multiple ugly stains on them

- Salad bars were exposed to flies and had to watch out for birds pecking at our food (at Heliconia grill during lunch) if we left the table to order drinks.

TIPS/ADVICE for travelers

- Bring cash for beach vendors and craft market, tips for optional tour guides, airport luggage services to and from airport ($3 - $5 for each luggage. We tipped our driver too), and parasailing and jet skiing ($120 for two, excluding tips. They expect tips).

- Bring cash during the complimentary catamaran cruise to tip the professional cliff divers and the (non-resort) crew on board.

- Parasailing was really fun and I would recommend doing it

- Night snorkeling is a must do. Highly recommended. Cost is $35 per person. See way more fishes and marine animal at night than during the day.

- There are multiple awesome tours beyond the confines of the resort. They cost somewhere between $85 to $150 per person, with $250 pp being most expensive and $35 pp being the cheapest. But if you like to experience more of Jamaica, be prepared to spend a bit of money.

- Private dinner on the beach for two costs $170 total. It was a truly memorable experience. Highly recommended.

- There is a 3-hour private boat ride for two - snacks, drinks, music included as you cruise along the ocean and watch the sunset. We didn't try that but we will when we visit Couples next.

TIPS for travelers during hurricane season

- Bring bug spray. You will definitely need it.

- It rained every day we were there. Usually in the early and mid afternoon, and usually last for an hour or two. Range from light drizzle to heavy downpour. Activities as per usual during light drizzle but activities are canceled if there is lighting.

- Because of the rain, best times for water sports is early morning from 8:30 to noon.

- Best time to take watersport lessons and snorkeling is 9:30 am. No rain and isn't terribly hot. Otherwise the other available time to take lessons and snorkel is at 1:30 pm.

- Omar from the watersport hut is hilarious, entertaining, and laid back. He is the tour guide for the glass bottom boat ride tours on some days. Recommended to take the ride when he is leading it.

Room Tip: We stayed at the beachfront suite closest to the water sports hut. Beachfront suites only have parti...
10 Thank Traveler_MC33
Dear Recent Guests,

It was a pleasure hosting you recently at Couples Negril. Indeed as you highlighted there is something here for everyone. Our team members’ efforts form the core of the resort’s objectives.

We have addressed the issue of flies at the salad bar and birds in the dining area as we seek to offer a safe environment conducive to relaxation and romance.

Thank you for sharing your tips for travelers, I am sure many will find them useful. In the event of rain though, we usually have many indoor games and activities for your indulgence. At Couples Negril we have a no tipping policy and encourage our guests to support this as well. Otherwise tipping should be done at your discretion.

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Couples Negril Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#9 of 87 in Negril
4.5 of 5 stars 2,076 reviews

Been to Couples Negril? Share your experiences!