“Even Better” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Couples Negril

Save Saved
You added Couples Negril to your Saves list
Couples Negril
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd. | PO Box 35, Negril, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #15 of 91 hotels in Negril
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Even Better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Returned recently from 3rd visit to this hotel. Slight changes to restaurants which have only improved food and service. Food as good as ever - staff are just wonderful and only wish to ensure guests have the best time possible. After 12 months staff still recognised us and gave us a hug. Atmosphere as relaxed as ever. Staff at watersports centre good, especially the dive team. who made each dive an enjoyable experience. Looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Not worth upgrading to a suite. Standard room are good.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Delai Y,

It is always a pleasure to welcome you back to your home away from home. We are continuously improving our product and are happy that you recognized and appreciated this.

See you on your next visit.

Warm regards,

2,969 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
Greenville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

It's nice to go to a Resort and feel like you can dress up without sticking out...but at the same time, not be required to dress to the nines. You won't find marble floors in the restaurants, but you will find some of the best a la carte dinners at Couples Negril that you won't necessarily find at fancier resorts. Otaheite Restaurant is absolutely amazing--worth having to make a reservation for. Hands down, the size of this resort is a plus--it is spread out just enough that you don't feel like you are on top of other guests, but you never have to walk too far to find a drink or the restroom. Couples Resort chain never disappoints--with the wonderful inclusions--like the sunset Catamaran Cruise, Paddle Boards, snorkle cruise, glass bottom boat tour, and other inclusions that you don't find at other resorts. While we were there, the water was rough for the first 3 days, but after that, it turned to glass and was amazing!

True, some employees are wonderful, and others are going through the motions, but you will find that mostly everywhere. There are vendors that walk up and down the beach and try to sell you items, but the resort security does a very good job keeping them by the waterline and from hassling guests. My only complaint was that it was tough to find a small snack before dinner and after entertainment--sometimes you just need some chips or something light. Do yourself a favor and give Couples Resorts a try! We've been to Couples Ocho Rios and are going to Couples Swept Away this November.

Room Tip: If possible, stay away from the tennis courts--the tennis pro begins lessons at 8am--impossible to s...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Repeat Guests,

We are grateful for your views expressed and appreciate your commendations on our food, activities and team members who work assiduously to provide you with that relaxing and convenient experience.

Our Heliconia Restaurant/Beach Grill is the ideal place to grab a snack before dinner or after the nightly entertainment. The Beach Grill is opened every day from 11:00am to 6:00pm and from 10:30pm to 5:00am. With Saturday being the exception, this restaurants is transformed to a bistro style for dinner each night from 6:30pm to 10:00pm.

Additionally, h’orderves are served at our Happy Hour in the Piano Bar every evening beginning at 6:30pm.

Thank you for your continued support of the Couples brand.

Regards,

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I didn't love this place. It feels like an industrial, factory sort of an effort. I felt like I was one of a lot of low-end cattle. Of all the Couples Resorts I have stayed in, this one I liked least. What is good about it? The pool is quite magnificent, I mean the size of it. Huge. The gym is decent but not great. Restaurants were OK. Food was pretty good overall.
Not so great? Service is weak for a Jamaican resort. Space is quite run down. Needs repairs to compete with the rest of Negril. Beach we can't complain about. Negril has magnificent beaches. Couples needs to step it up a notch. The experience was quite impersonal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Arthur,

Thank you for sharing your impressions of your recent visit to Couples Negril. It is a matter of concern that you’ve made reference to your stay as being an “impersonal experience”. This is quite the opposite of what we aim to offer here.

Our standards are to have all our valued guests catered to an individualized basis as reflected in many other trip advisors reviews. We will however, continue to retrain where necessary.

While we are appreciative of your commendations of particular aspects of our facilities we apologize for any instance you felt you were treated less than family.

Our rustic appearance may not appeal to everyone however we have plans to refresh areas on property this year.

Hopefully if you decide to return you will be able to enjoy the excellent “Couples” standard of service.

Kindest regards,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

I will start by saying this will be a truthful straight forward review. We stayed at Couples Negril for a week (June 30-July 8) for a wedding vow renewal. We have family members that frequent the Couples chain of resorts multiple times per year and RAVE about them. Please allow me to begin:

Positives:
The staff were great.... They really were. They were always willing to please, and do anything to help. The beach was clean and the bay water was clear, calm, and warm. There are plenty of chairs along the beach and pool. The 'quiet' pool by the spa tree house was wonderful. The receptionist in the spa was such a sweet wonderful girl! The game room was tiny but cute and a nice place to hang before or after lunch/dinner. The piano bar was sort of for old-fart fuddy duddy's but was good for people watching.

Negatives:
Rooms- absolutely disgusting. There is no weatherstripping around the door of the rooms, so you can clearly see daylight and feel the humid outside air flowing into the room. This leads me to... Holy freaking ants!!!! Ants on the door, on the bathroom counters, floors, mini fridge area, EVERYWHERE! The resort's answer to this issue is a can of bug spray. Hmm... My own two cents is that bug spray in the room is not an acceptable answer to this problem, especially if the property wants to call its self a 'luxury' resort- which Couples is certainly not.

'Roomservice'- What a joke! Only continental breakfast is available. The first time we ordered, it never showed up, and another time our fruit platter (consisting of mushy watermelon, an orange, and 2 slices of pineapple) showed up on a filthy plate. We gave up after the 2nd attempt.

Food- I don't consider myself a foodie or food snob, but after this trip Im pretty sure I am. Again, the food was RAVED about to us by our family members, but it was horrible. There are only 4 restaurants on the property which is a bummer, and menu items aren't changed frequently which is a bummer. I guess we were spoiled at the Excellence we stayed at in Mexico that had tons of great options with legit fresh gourmet food. Couples food reminded me of Old Country buffet Jamaican style. Yuck.

Bar Service- Service was slow. My husband walked up and ordered 2 virgin daiquiris (I'm pregnant) and watched the bartender make other drinks for guests, then our drinks, and the watched him dump rum in our drinks and hand them to him. He then told him he ordered virgin- as in NO alcohol- and he tried to tell them they were. Numerous times I ordered a Ginger Ale, Limeaid, or Sprite specifying NO alcohol while we were there, and most of the time it came back spiked with booze.

Spa- I had high hopes for the spa. I will admit I'm a spa snob, and at first glance it appeared ok. I had a facial, pedi, and hair trim while I was there. Services were nothing to get excited about. My pedi was chipping 2 days after it was done and the facial was a joke. Maybe my 'American' standards were set too high.

Property- This place is in need of a MAJOR deep clean. It's filthy, smells, and is tired looking. When they say the are going for an 'earthy natural' look, they aren't kidding. You can tell the beach/pool floats are slowing being replaced because many look new, and many look like they are covered in black mold. There are ants all over the beach as well as the rooms and other areas of the resort. Mosquitos must have been like teradactyl sized because I still have welts from them.

Overall, I feel there are two ways to view Couples Negril: either drink their kool-aid and love the place because you haven't been anywhere else to compare it too so you keep going back, or see the details that is lacks and continue to explore other islands and stick to decent chains like Excellence, Beaches, Riu, Iberostar etc.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Recent Guest,

Like your family members whom you made reference to in your review, we have numerous guests that rave about their experiences at Couples Negril. It is therefore quite alarming to read your review and to now learn that we did not live up to your expectations.

At Couples Negril, we aim not only to meet but to exceed the expectations of all our valued guests, but we acknowledge that this is not always possible. Our staff goes above and beyond and work tirelessly to ensure that our guests have a memorable vacation. While our ‘rustic’ theme may not appeal to everyone, we pride ourselves with providing a clean and welcoming environment, topped with friendly efficient service.

Contrary to what you expressed about our food, you will see the many wonderful comments that others have made regarding the variety of delicious cuisine available at our restaurants. For the small size of this Resort, we believe four restaurants are adequate as this is generally the norm for a resort of our size.

Thank you for your comments; however, we regret that you did not choose to discuss your concerns with a member of our management team prior to your departure from the Resort, as this would have given us an opportunity to possibly turn around your experience.

milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at couples July 3-July10 2013. We recently married and spent our honeymoon at couples Negril. This was our first time and we had little expectation. Couples service is magnificent in every area of their resort.

The drive to the resort was long, but didin't bother us, because the driver Capitan Jay was amazing! We were able to see the surroundings of Jamaica and learn about this beautiful country. It humbled us to experience the pride that Jamaicans have for their everyday lives. We learned about their children and felt very safe.

My husband and I always try to give our money to bussiness that care for their emloyees. I would like to say thank you Couples Negril for treating there employees decent. The employees have paid training ( which most resorts does not have) and 2 week vacations. Which allow these hard working employees to spend time with their families.

Housekeeping was amazing. Yvonne was one of the best people I have ever come across in my life. She preformed her job with pride and always gave it 100%. We informed her she didn't need to clean completely somedays and instead of just complying with that easy task, she would clean every end of our room. You do not tip here, so this was just a nice gesture on her part. We requested Yvonne the entire trip and we truely found a friend indeed.

Food, entertainment, drinks and service was beyond what anyone should receive on vacation. We felt like family and not a guest. My husband and I will return in 2015 for our two year anniversary. Thank you Couple Negril for creating a place where you can feel comfortable, safe, and be able to kick your feet up and relax.
Shronda, Yvonne, Kris, Rena and Counter are just a few employees that should be applauded for always having a smile on their faces and going beyond to make us feel welcome

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear First Time Visitors,

I gather that you’re still basking in the memories of an evidently blissful honeymoon experience at Couples Negril. We are pleased that we were successful in our efforts to exceed your expectations.

Thank you for your compliments expressed to the dedicated and hardworking team members here; it seems you have made some true Jamaican friends. Upon entering through our doors you are seen as family and treated as such.

We look forward to sharing with you again on your two year anniversary.

Sanger, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We were spoiled from the moment we got to the airport. Ride was great to resort. I smile when people complain about an hour and a half ride. Really...to this heaven on earth!?!! The driver keeps you entertained and informs you about many Jamaican ways. Check in was timely...even with a huge amount at the same time checking in and got to the room and mini bar was fully stocked. With large bottles of every liquor! Our bathroom in the beachfront suite was huge! I know they are starting to update all bathrooms but ours was good. Our room was nice and patio was wonderful as was the view. This resort has the best gourmet food. Whether it was buffet or a la cart. Both were excellent and you always had many choices. Even for dinner at night there are many choices in place or menu We have been to Couples Sans Souci once before so we were invited to the repeaters dinner which was a five course meal and lobster and steak were excellent.We got to visit with an employee in finance named Charre I beleive. So friendly and helpful. Ocean is great for floating. Pool is huge. Bar drinks were not watered down as I have seen some complain. Service at all restaurants and bars and housekeeping were excellent. Beach vendors are at a minimum. We did not tip as is policy and had no problem and so nice not to have to worry about that. This place is relaxing and exciting depending on what you chose to do or not do. Entertainment staff is excellent and every employee we met was courteous and helpful. We especially loved the reggae bands and the Silverbirds steel drum band. Best vacation ever. Will go back as soon as we can. Don't forget to check out their website and also their message board because it is so informative and helped us before our trip!

Room Tip: We stayed in bldg 9 in the beachfront suite on the ground floor. Great room and huge bathroom! All w...
Dear Stephanie R,

Thank you for confirming what we’ve always attested that Couples Negril is the perfect place to relax, unwind and have fun at the same time. I see that you were completely satisfied with our accommodations and particularly enjoyed our menu options.

We strictly enforce the no tipping policy and are happy that we have your full support. Thank you for the sentiments expressed in relation to our entertainment package; we are continuously exploring new options to appeal to your interests.

Looking forward to seeing you on your next trip.

Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

As a Ja - merican , with over a dozen trips to Jamaica , 10 at Couples Swept Away , this was by far the best time we have had . The service is Excellent , by far . This was the first time at CN but it will not be our last . I hated to leave and I can't wait to go back . Everything was great , food , room , entertainment , water sports , beach , staff , Etc. Just Awesome . Special thank you to Kiev for a wonderful time .... Until we meet again .... YEA MON . Jamaican Jim ....

Room Tip: rooms in the 6000 block . close to everything .
Dear James,

Thank you for your continued support of the Couples Brand. We are happy to know that your recent visit to Couples Negril can be considered as your best.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Couples Negril Management.

Been to Couples Negril? Share your experiences!