“Best Vacation My Hubby and I Have Ever Taken Together” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bridgewater
“Best Vacation My Hubby and I Have Ever Taken Together”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband Michael and I had the pleasure of vacationing at Couples Negril July 5-12, 2013. Unlike many of the guests we met, we were not on our honeymoon (we've been married for four years), but just needed a nice, serene, tropical place to get away for a while. This was our first time in Jamaica AND our first experience at an all-inclusive resort, so we weren't sure how it would go. Turns out, this was by far the best vacation we've ever taken together -- and we're already talking about possibly going back!

Let me start off with the resort's best feature: the friendliness of the staff. My God. Michael and I were blown away. As soon as we got there, we were greeted with a cold washcloth and a glass of champagne. Check-in could have been chaotic with four couples arriving in the same shuttle (including us), but instead it was smooth as silk. Once it was over we got a brief overview of the resort, and then a staff member escorted us personally to our room. From there, everyone -- from the maids, to the waiters/waitresses, to the bartenders, to the entertainment coordinators -- always greeted us with a smile and a friendly "Hey mon! You ok? You need anything?" And it wasn't just their friendly demeanor that struck us -- it was also their eagerness to talk to us, get to know us and even share a few laughs with us. We actually made friends with some of them! Our favorites included Kiev, Bellard, Shaneen and Shawna (entertainment coordinators), as well as Jovaine (watersports) and Elkie (bartender). I must admit, I am a Disney fanatic and have vacationed in Walt Disney World at least 20 times, and the friendliness of the Couples Negril staff blew even DISNEY away. That's saying something.

Michael and I were also impressed by the beauty/cleanliness of the property. What everyone has said here is true -- the Couples Negril beach is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. Soft sand, crystal clear blue sea with the temperature of bath water (literally), and plenty of trees that provide a good amount of shade as well as anchors for a few really comfy hammocks. And as a bonus (and Michael and I strolled up and down the beach and didn't see this on any other resort), the foam pads on the beach chairs double as floatees for the water, providing yet another way to relax on the beach. (As a side, the local vendors do set up tables on the resort and/or walk up and down the beach with their items for sale, but they never approach you, and if they do try to get your attention and you’re not interested, you just tell them “No thank you” and they leave you alone.) As for the rooms themselves, I will admit they are not really upgraded. But they ARE clean and well maintained. And the maids do a great job of making each room cozy -- they come every afternoon to clean it, and then again in the evenings to turn down your bed for you. One suggestion I would offer is to maybe put a screen on the bathroom windows -- currently they are only covered with large blinds, which do a good job of covering the space so no one can look inside, but any bugs you might encounter (there aren't many of them) could potentially enter the room through those windows.

Another highlight of our trip was the number and range of activities they offered. When you arrive, you get a packet of information about the resort including a map and an activity sheet, detailing the schedule of activities for each day of the week, for both daytime and nighttime. We found this extremely helpful because there's no way you can keep track of them all on your own! During the day, they offer beach and pool volleyball (these were our favorites), plus things like nature walks, salsa dancing classes, jewelry making classes, bocce ball tournaments, ping pong tournaments, tennis lessons (with an actual tennis pro), and shuttles into the marketplace. Additionally, they offer watersports such as kayaking, snorkeling, glass bottom boat tours, catamaran excursions (which we HIGHLY recommend), hobie cat rides, paddleboating, etc. At night, there is a different show every evening around 9:30 (they call it "Showtime") featuring everything from steel drum bands to traditional bands to magicians and contortionists. They also offer things like bonfires, casino nights, movies on the beach and dance parties. ALL of the activities that I have mentioned are F-R-E-E, included in the all-inclusive cost. They do offer some activities that would cost extra (like night snorkeling, massages, and a private dinner sail for two), but we stuck with what was included. One thing I really loved about all these activities was that they made it very easy to meet and get to know the other vacationing couples (who ran the gamut in terms of age -- we met people age 21 to well into their 60s, and everywhere in between). Michael and I made friends with a few honeymooners, and it wasn’t long before we all started eating and going on excursions together, which was a lot of fun.

And speaking of eating, the last thing I will mention is the food. While it’s not the greatest, most mouth-watering food I have ever tasted, it is pretty good – and those I talked to who HAVE been to other all-inclusives said this food blew theirs out of the water. I will say, though, that Lychee is the exception in our eyes – this food wasn’t pretty good, it was outstanding. Michael and I ate there twice. Both times we ordered the sampler appetizer (the meat and fish one, not the sushi one), and both times I ordered the chicken teriyaki which was some of the best I’ve ever eaten. If Lychee were a restaurant in the States somewhere, you better believe I’d seek it out. As for the drinks, they were pretty good, too. I’m a big fan of fruity drinks, so my faves were the standard pina colada and the Governor’s House, which is pretty much an alcoholic smoothie (you have to ask them to add the rum though – I’m pretty sure the drink is usually served sans alcohol). And there are bars all over the resort (including in the pool), so there’s never a problem getting a drink. But the cool thing about the food and drinks is that there is absolutely no tipping. Unless you are buying something from a vendor or you leave the property, you literally leave your wallet in the safe and forget about it.

Overall, I would give this vacation a 9 out of 10. Absolutely fantastic time. Kudos to Ricardo for running such an amazing resort!

Room Tip: Buildings 6-9 are by the au natural beach. For some people that might not be a big deal. But that...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear First Time Guests,

Couples Negril is indeed that “serene tropical getaway”. We are very pleased to learn that we were successful in our efforts to provide you with the “best vacation experience” as this is what we aim to achieve.

Thank you for commending our team members who are truly our best assets. Our food and entertainment options target the interest of the varying personalities that grace our shores each year. We are presently refreshing some areas of the property and would be happy to welcome you back to enjoy the Resort some more.

Your suggestions have been noted and we are most grateful for your comments.

Best regards,

Couples Negril Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed at couples negril from 6/25/13 to 7/2/13 shortly after our wedding. It was exactly what we needed. Our agent helped us pick couples out of the many breezes, sandals, as well as other islands in the Caribbean. He said the people in Jamaica really make you feel like family, they are so professional and always friendly. Plus couples is owned by a Jamaican family and its only found on the island. We wanted a resort that wasn't huge, adults only, some nightlife, but mainly an awesome beach. It was all that! The beach is amazing!! They keep it clean, you get floating chair seats to lounge in the water with, plenty of water sports to try and the wager is calm, turquoise, peaceful and warm!! Heaven!!

The drinks and food were good. Some stuff was better than others but we had no complaints. The drinks aren't strong but I'm a lightweight so I was fine. Everyone brings their own mugs or bigger cups and they refill whenever you want so those small plastic cups won't cramp your style.

Recommend making reservations for the catamaran and glass bottom boat ASAP as those filled up quick. My honey and I chose to pay for a private boat cruise. We scheduled 2 hrs but they kept us for 3 and let us stay and watch sunset as they took pictures of us, comes with your own captain and whatever food/drinks you want. We went to really beautiful spots on the island. It was perfect.

I don't recommend the shopping trip to time square mall. It's a huge tourist trap and nothing is unique.

The one bad thing was, when we arrived our room that we paid for (beachfront suite) wasn't available. That bummed us out.. The manager apologized profusely and offered the next best room which was a garden suite. Same exact room just not facing the beach, he refunded our money and added a $100 credit. It actually worked out for the best because we had more privacy and the beach was super super close as well as the restaurants and pool. Plus we had an awesome private couples massage with the extra money.

I would highly recommend couples. I can't wait to go again!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear First time guests,

Congratulations on your wedding. We are pleased that you chose to spend your honeymoon in fine style here at Couples Negril.

Couples Negril is indeed owned by a Jamaican family and prides itself in providing genuine Jamaican hospitality. We have now opened another resort in a new location, Couples Barbados ,which promises to provide the signature service common to all Couples Resorts.

All the amenities and inclusions are geared towards the needs and interests of you our valued guests. We have noted your comments relating to the issues you had with your accommodation upon check in, we apologize for any inconvenience experienced as a result.

Thank you for recommending us, looking forward to hosting you on your return.

Regards,
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Let me start off with the Bad so we can get it out of the way.

Check In:
Check in was a disaster, we arrived at normal check in hours 3:00pm but still had to wait 2 hours to get into our room. During which time when we asked for a status we were told to wait it shouldn't be long. Really not a good way to a honeymoon.

Wifi:
The wifi at the resort is a complete joke. It only worked in about three areas. Never really worked in our room. This was one of the most frustrating problems the entire week. The staff didn't really care about this issue either.

Other:
This was probably one of the most constant issues. The resort is not really friendly for larger people. There was a few times that comments were made my staff about our weight. The worse was one of the hostess telling my wife that should could not set in the seats at Cassava even though she had been setting in it all week, to make it worse I am larger and he didn't feel the need to stop me from setting. This is something that needs to be resolved.

Ok enough with the bad lets get to the good:

Rooms:
We stayed in a beachfront suite and it was AMAZING. I know some people have complained about the rooms not being nice. First off remember you are not at a 5 star american resort you are at a truely Jamaican resort. This is one of the things I loved about the resort. The room was very clean and never had an issue with the room.

Service:
Overall the service was very good there was times it was hit and miss. There is a no problems mon attitude from the staff so if you are looking for the Ritz keep going. If you are looking to be well taken care of and feel like you are important this is the place. The staff is very nice and works very hard.

Pools/hot tubs:
The pools are really nice and the hot tubs are perfect. The temp is always great and it is a place to meet other couples while you are there. The pool is always clean and open all the time (though after dark swimming is discouraged).

The Beach:
The beach is AMAZING and the staff works really hard keeping it clean and providing the red flag service as well. The chairs are plentiful and should never be an issue finding one. The water is crystal clear and very calm which makes it nice to go and lay on your float. While the pool is a good place to meet other couples it seemed that the beach was the place where you went to get away for a little while.

Food:
What else can I say other than the food is AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING. For breakfast the buffet at Cassava Terrace is awesome. Cassava always have a lunch buffet and the Heliconia Grill is always has good "American" food. Dinner: Cassava Terrace food is great and this is where most the nightly shows will be. Heliconia has great food and the service is probably the best outside of Otaheite. Lychee ok let me start by saying I do not like Asian food but my wife convinced me to try it and I will say that it was my favorite place to eat. The food is perfect and the service is spot on. It is also air conditioned which was nice. Otaheite first off remember there is a dress code and it requires a reservation, the service was the best and the food was awesome. The only issue I had was it required a reservation in advance 1 or 2 days but you didn't know the menu when you had to make the reservation.

Water Sports
This was a great part of our honeymoon the guys at the water sports hut is awesome. You must try night snorkeling it is probably my favorite things we did. Bubblelicious and Omar are awesome. Make sure you go early to sign up for things as they feel up fast.

Entertainment:
The entertainment was awesome, the best being the steel band drum and all the entertainment staff was awesome. There is always something to do. Make sure to check for the rainy day events at Cassava Terrace.

Overall:
The resort and staff is awesome, The few mad things that happened were very overshadowed by all the good. I would highly recommend this resort to our family and friends.

Room Tip: Building 6 was awesome but kind of loud as it is by Cassava Terrace. We stayed in room 6201 and the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Brad,

Thank you for sharing highlights of your recent vacation at Couples Negril.

Your insights have been noted and we will be taking them into consideration and addressing them accordingly within our team. Sorry for the delay experienced at check-in. This is not usually the norm but sometimes unexpected situations occur. Our Wi-Fi equipment was recently damaged by a bolt of lightning and this affected the signal strength in some areas. We have since rectified the matter and have seen some improvement in the Wi-Fi service. Our Systems Administrator is also available on property to assist guests who may experience challenges connecting to the Internet via their various personal devices.

As was communicated to you in response to your comments made on the guest questionnaire, we observe standard protocols when dealing with sensitive issues such as people’s weight and size; however, in our effort to ensure the total comfort and safety of our guests, our actions sometimes have an adverse effect. We sincerely apologize for any offence resulting as that was certainly not our intention.

We are always working to address any shortfall in service as we seek to improve our overall product. It’s great that you took advantage of the activities on schedule and enjoyed the amenities, entertainment and service from our team members. We welcome the opportunity to host you another time.

Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband & I chose Couples Negril for our honeymoon. We had read good reviews and heard good things about Couples Resorts in general. We enjoyed every minute of our trip to Negril at Couples. Our room was good - the Deluxe Ocean room and had a balcony. The mini bar was stocked with juice and soda upon our arrival and anything else was brought to the room upon request. We did order a few things for our mini bar and each time they were friendly on the phone and timely with delivery to the room (within 15 minutes). There were a lot of activities and excursions (both included & not included) that we could choose from. We chose to enjoy the pool during our week there. We wandered down to the beach but did not stay long. The umbrellas with chairs at the pool was key for us. Plus, there seemed to be more camaraderie with guests in the pool versus on the beach. The pool bar had good, quick service and we were pleased with our drinks. The pool was cleaned each morning which I was able to see while on my way to the gym around 7am. The gym is small but has a variety of equipment. There are plenty of cardio machines and some weight machines. There is also an outdoor area where they have more equipment. The internet cafe was clean & computers were in good working order. The Asian restaurant, Lychee, was delicious. I wasn't sure what to expect but their food was great! The appetizer for two was great! The fried ice cream was also wonderful. The beach grill (Heliconia) was great for an afternoon snack. They have ice cream & nachos as well as burgers, fries, onion rings, etc. Cassava Terrace is where they have daily breakfast and lunch buffets. The food here is awesome. They have mostly American food with some Jamaican specialties. They have a dinner buffet a few nights a week here which was also wonderful. Otaheite is the only restaurant you will need reservations for & it is their fine dining restaurant. The service here is nothing short of awesome as well as the food. We also did the private dining on the beach (which is not included). It was definitely an experience! We enjoyed our dinner and our server was accommodating and fantastic. I did get eaten alive by the sand flies even though our server provided us with bug spray. That is my only complaint which isn't even Couples' fault. It was a romantic dinner. We did take the trip to Margaritaville which was interesting. They had a DJ who was engaging tourists in contests and such. The food was decent but it is a cash cow. It's Margaritaville...in Jamaica. The shuttle was free to and from, all you had to pay for was your food and drinks there. Fun time though! It was good to get off the resort. The staff at Couples Negril is friendly, accommodating, kind, and wonderful. Each staff member would acknowledge us as we passed them which was refreshing. Overall, we had a fantastic honeymoon and we will return to Couples Resorts.

Room Tip: Our room was in the furthest block from the lobby which was good and not good at the same time. It w...
Dear Lisa,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this helpful review. We are very pleased to learn that you appreciate the different cuisine available at our restaurants and were kept busy by the range of activities both on and off property.

We are working to address the issue of sand flies as it is observed that they become more prevalent during the rainy season. Nonetheless we anticipate your return which promises to be just as amazing.

Regards,
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Everyone there made you feel as if you were the only couple there and the food is amazing! If you don't like being outside then this isn't the place for you. The only thing that bothered me was that there were a lot of sugar ants but it was bound to happen since everything is mainly outside. The service was superb! My favorites were Charles, Okeno and the tour desk lady (forgot her name)! Couples Negril by far has to be the best all inclusive we have ever stayed at! Definitely coming back!

• Stayed July 2013
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Trinh V,

To be the “best all inclusive resort” is where our aspirations lie and reading your review indicates that we are well on our way to achieving that. We are happy that you enjoyed our food and service as well as interacting with our vibrant team members.

We will relay your commendations to Charles, Okeno and the rest of the team.

Thanks for your kind comments. We hope to see you again soon.

Warm regards,

Denver, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We just returned from Couples Negril in Jamaica. Although it was the rainy season and it did rain at least once every day we were there, we didn't mind too much. The resort is one of the smaller all-inclusives we have stayed at but the compact layout of all the amenities was actually quite nice. Couples has a lot to offer to keep you entertained such as water sports, snorkeling, scuba, cruises, games, golf, spa, etc. Being a smaller resort we had no problems getting into a restaurant or getting drinks at the bars. The food was pretty good all around and the service was good everywhere but the large buffet area (breakfast, lunch). The staff went out of their way to learn our names and even let one of our group borrow a pair of slacks so we could all eat together at the fancy restaurant (formal dress required at one place). We paid for an average room and it was average. Bed was comfy and the air conditioning was cold. However the bathroom was old and the tile could have been cleaned better. Again, it didn't really bother us since we weren't in there that much. The lounge at that airport was nice and the shuttle ride was fun meeting new people. Drinks were good (Red Stripe beer) and there was some top shelf bottles. Snorkeling was fun and exploring the caves from the Catamaran cruise was cool. Overall it was a good trip for the money we paid. I would go to another Couple resort based on my experience with Couples Negril.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Accupulse,

Thanks for sharing your experience with others. It was a pleasure to have been your hosts for your recent vacation in Jamaica. The intimate nature of this resort helps to foster closer interaction with you and your spouse and also gives us an opportunity to get to know you better.

We have noted your comments regarding our accommodations and plan to refresh some areas this year. Thanks again for your observations. It is good to know that your experience here has influenced your decision to stay within the Couples family. Rain or shine, we have your vacation needs well planned.

Hope to see you again soon.

Tulsa, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We have come to CN for about 10 years about 20 times. We love it here. I believe it is the best All Inclusive Adult Resort in the Caribbean. And it's a bargain. This is the place to come for a romantic vacation with your spouse if you like the beach, good food, friendly staff, diving and Hobie Cat sailing.

We have lived in the Caribbean (Virgin Islands for 9 years) and travelled all over the area staying at resorts far more expensive (like Caneel Bay) and other all inclusives. This place gives you a vacation with everything you're looking for without thinking about anything. Put your wallet and passport in the safe and forget everything and relax.

For a detailed comparison with Couples Swept Away see my CSA review. Both are great beach resorts with wonderful staff, but CN wins for us because the beach is less crowded because the resort is smaller, and the food is better because of the amazing Otaheite restaurant. But if the amenities of a world class sports center outweigh the world class restaurant then pick CSA.

I saw a review on here saying that this was not the place for a foodie and cannot believe that comment. I have lived in London, New York, LA, Chicago and the islands and travelled extensively. The white linen restaurant here, Otaheite, rivals the best in any of those places. Amazing seafood and meats, grilled vegetables, creamed soups, and desserts, oh my.

The other restaurants, like Heliconia and Lychee (Italian and Asian) are also very good, as is the main terrace, Cassava, and the buffets. But we enjoy the leisurely sit-down service at Otaheite.

The dive team under Sugar is great. And if you want to learn to dive there are no better instructors than Sugar and Richard to teach you. The management and all the staff are the most helpful and friendly you will ever find, in all areas of the property.

I hesitate in writing so glowing a review because I don't want to find the place so booked I can't slip in an extra vacation there spur of the moment, but I truly recommend you try Couples Negril for your next romantic Caribbean vacation.

Room Tip: The Garden View rooms are great.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Repeat Guests,

We are grateful for your support over the years and are happy that you consider us the best all inclusive resort in the Caribbean.

While Couples Negril and Couples Swept Away have many things in common, there are little differences that set us apart as you have so correctly indicated. It is great to know that you enjoyed the wide range of activities on schedule and took advantage of our food offerings as well. Thank you for echoing the sentiments of many others who continue to be impressed with the tantalizing dishes that we serve here.

Do come back home to Couples Negril soon where numerous pleasures await you.

Couples Negril Management

Been to Couples Negril? Share your experiences!