“Blue Cave Castle is Awesome!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Blue Cave Castle
Lighthouse Road, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #21 of 91 Hotels in Negril
Hawaii
“Blue Cave Castle is Awesome!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2009

I am not sure how much I want to share because I love this place and I always want my room to be available! :)

I stayed at BCC 3 times last year and I loved every minute of it!

The grounds are immaculate and lovely, the staff is exceptional, and the rooms are basic, but I love them!

I've stayed in many different rooms there, all are slightly different, but still all are nice!

It is the best value for your money, hands down!

• Liked — The price, the views, the staff!
  • Disliked — Not on the beach.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2009

The things that people said about the property/staff being friendly are all true and it is kept up good for it's age and type. Groundkeeping is fantastic. But if you want all the nice stuff of a newer place you won't get it there. The beds are foam rubber instead of mattresses and you need to drink ALOT of redstripes to get any sleep with all the noise from the dogs and bars on the road. NIce vibe but people should know about the downsides before they pay the prices that are now pretty high from other years.

• Liked — Staff are great
  • Disliked — Beds and Noise
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
St Petersburg, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

Like another reviewer mentioned, you hate to say anything about Blue Cave Castle cause you don't want the word to get out!
I had made reservations directly with Blue Cave Castle thru their user friendly site last spring and before I knew it I was there.
From the first step on the property, I knew this was home for my two weeks in Paradise and what a two weeks it was cause I felt like King of the Castle!

I can't say enough about Blue Cave Castle, from top to bottom it was a very, very enjoyable stay. I stayed in the Lower Tower Room at the start of my stay and had the waves lull me to sleep every night, as you are right on the waters edge and of course I slept like a baby the whole time there. Petrona the manager and the rest of the staff were the friendlist people and always asking if they could do anything for this guy. The Castle was built in the 80's by hand, stone by stone by Fuzzy and Donald who still are on the staff to this very day, that says a lot about Susan the owner and this lovely castle. The accomodations were excellent with a refrig in the room, boombox for music, comfortable bed, ceiling fan and a nice bathroom that always had plenty of hot water. The balcony outside the room had a view to die for. It was complete with a pinic table and two lounge chairs to lay back in and enjoy the vibes here.

They serve excellent food here any time of the day by Ted who was the Chef at one of the best Restaurants on the beach which was Kubaya and it shows in his presentation and the mouth watering food he serves(see the pics for his menu's). Also in the morning they serve free coffee and tea at their coffee bar area and everyone staying there looked forward to getting some of that Jamaican coffee in the morning. Also for us fruit nuts, Millie from next door stops by every morning with her freshly squeezed orange juice and her fruits to us to partake in.

I have stayed at quite a few of the other resorts here on the Cliffs in Negril, including Catcha Falling Star, but have to say Blue Cave Castle has the best spot for snorkeling and swiming. The ocean is calmer here and there isn't much of a current either so spending a fair amount of time in the water is "no problem" at Blue Cave Castle. There are plenty of areas to lounge on the property to be a sun goddess or just sit back and do nothing, or just read that novel you never had time for back home.

They also have wireless here so you are welcome to bring those laptops if you need to. I took quite a few pics of the property and hope this gives you a better feel for Blue Cave Castle.

I certainly was spoiled and will say that it won't be the last time for me staying at Blue Cave Castle.

• Liked — Rooms, many amenties, friendly staff, nice owner, delicious food, super location, best snorkeling and swimming, vibes are wonderful!
  • Disliked — absolutely nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
Lansing, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

We stayed at the Castle after reading all the excellent reviews right here on TripAdvisor. It was really phenomenal, but let me say this: if you want fancy, don't go there. If you want 'happening' don't go there. It's small and quiet. The food is top-notch and the service is spectacular. Petrona, the manager, really went out of her way to make everyone feel special. She knew everyone by name, our interests and would chat with us when she had time. I know that, next year, she will give me a hug upon arrival.

Teddy, the onsite chef, was all he's been hyped up to be. Don't be put off by the small little restaurant - the food is first rate (world-class lobster thermidor) We didn't eat anywhere else. He went very far out of his way to make sure everything was spectacular, including presentation. My better half is diabetic and every day, Teddy would bring him his breakfast with veggies on the side instead of whatever the normal side was.. and would automatically make the sauces without any sugar for his dinners. The amazing thing is that we only asked once, the very first day. From there on out, Teddy knew us and just took care of it.

On a side note, I would make sure to tip Teddy directly if he really helps you out, like he did us. I am not positive our tips made it to him when we tipped the waitress, Anicia.

There is decent snorkeling and great jumping from the cliffs right at the hotel and the boats to the reef come by frequently to see if anyone wants to head out with them.

Our room was great. The maid service was the best I've had anywhere, spotless every day. With the beautiful ocean right there, we didn't even need the A/C.

The hotel is very open about smoking, if you are into that. Sit around and smoke anywhere in the courtyard you want, no one will give you a hard time.. and you won't be the only one, believe me. During our week, smoking and coffee from 7-noon was pretty much the norm for all the guests.

The location is good. Couple buck cab fare into town or you can rent gas scooters across the street. There is a small market about a block away that you can walk to.

The only thing that makes this hotel lose any merit in my mind (and it's very little) is that there is quite a bit of road noise if you are in the restaurant or in a back room. Once you are on the ocean side, there is no issue.

When I'm in Negril I won't stay anywhere other than the Blue Cave Castle. The price is right and hey, I'm not snobby enough to pay more for less just for image. Save yourself the hassle and stay in the best place in town.

• Liked — Best sunset in the area...
  • Disliked — Road noise
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Central Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

I’ve stayed at Blue Cave Castle twice before. I was traveling solo this trip and when I thought of places to stay in Negril – I‘ve stayed at a half dozen or so – this was the one I thought of first. It’s on the west end which is my favorite part of Negril. It’s small and friendly with staff and guests who are generally outgoing and interesting so I won’t be lonely, it’s very secure, the rate is amazing in off season, and I love the mellow vibe here. It’s a no-brainer, I book it again.

I arrive and there is no rush to check in or pay or deal with anything…I am shown my room, given a key and asked if I need anything and that’s that.

As always, in my room the fridge is already cold, a pitcher of water and glasses is set up and there are fresh towels.

I am in Superior Room #2 this time, a new one for me. I like the room a lot…it has freaky ceilings, lots of triangles, no squares, and 3 beds, a lovely bathroom with a huge shower and is on the ground floor near the steps down to the throne. It has a huge outdoor porch with a big table and chairs and there are comfy loungers right nearby. A hurricane passed by a few days before but you’d never know it – everything has been cleaned and even the lounge chair cushions have been replaced. Attention to detail is just one thing I love about the place….from the art on the walls to things like fresh cushions, the owner really pays attention and never stops updating.

I’m hot after coming from Treasure Beach so I can’t resist the water…down on the beach there might be post-storm seaweed but up here on the cliffs the water is calm and clear and beautiful – I change into my suit and jump in and swim around to the other ladder and climb back up. There are 2-3 water entry points at BCC, one is in a cave. The cove is nice for snorkeling or swimming. There is also a freshwater shower right there in the yard.

Now refreshed, I change for dinner and walk up the road to 3 Dives to meet friends for dinner before they leave for the airport.

I get one or two call outs to come see something for sale on my short walk but a friendly wave “no thanks” and it’s all good. The pressure up here is not like the beach, in my opinion, and I think I have mastered the friendly “I’m all good” wave over the years so I rarely look at things for sale that I do not want to look at.

We arrive at 3 Dives and it is crowded. We enjoy a great meal and are served quickly because we have called ahead. Everything is cooked to order and the staff is small so if you don’t call ahead, you can wait a good hour or more for your food. Of course the bar is open in the meantime.

I sleep well and wake up in time to get coffee…yay. I love BCC’s coffee…it’s good and it’s free and it is served with that condensed sweet milk that I wouldn’t look at if I were home but tastes perfect in Jamaica. Coffee time is social time at Blue Cave too, most guests come and get some and choose to hang out at the tables in the yard, a few take it back to their rooms. It’s all good here, whatever one wants.

At Blue Cave there is now a restaurant! This is awesome, there has never been one when I have stayed here before. I ask for a menu and order a late breakfast of ackee and saltfish and sit down to enjoy my surroundings. It is another gorgeous day. The water is sparkling, the sky is blue, it is hot but not obnoxious. My table is in the shade and I have that book still to read. Aaaaahhhh, is all I can say.

The restaurant is kind of set up in this thatched roof area but you can eat anywhere, including your room, if you choose. SO BCC now has room service! The lunch and dinner menus look great too but breakfast is all I had here this stay (I’m only here for two nights).

Overall I continue to love Blue Cave. It’s not quite as cheap in winter as it is in summer/fall, but it’s a deal any time of year. Every room is different. The staff – from the owner Susan to the manager Petrona to the ladies who clean and wait tables to the groundskeeper/security…all are wonderful. It will always be my home away from home in Negril.

• Liked — Funky vibe, great people, attention to detail
  • Disliked — No pool.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
DETROIT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2008

I have been traveling to Negril for about 10 years now. I have stayed at many places during my stays and the Blue cave Castle, by far, is the BEST!!!!!! Why? Go find some pictures, you'll see, this is a one of a kind place. The BCC is known for it's clean rooms, impeccable service and tediously manicured landscape. It is super secure and just completely allows you to have that Irie feel. I have now stayed at the BCC 3 times and will continue to stay. The offer everything you want all in one. And the price???? You can't beat it for what you get! Trust me folks............this place is a true gem. The people, Petrona, Susan, Fuzzy, Teddy, Winston, the cleaning ladies, groundskeepers, guardsmen and of course, the guard dog. They are all here to make your visit the best possible. Try Teddy's food......It is delicious! This resort is also in a very good location. It is on the cliffs, close to a convienent store, cambio and restaurants. Go see Rose at Brown Sugar.......she'll make you the best meal you've ever had!!! Grab a snorkel trip from Vincent.......he'll be cruising by in his boat with his warm smile and friendly vibes! Instead of taxi's, go rent a bike or scooter from Gas across the street, he'll give you a good deal. Go see the island! On a bicycle, you can be on the beach in 15 minutes. I just can't say enough about this island and this resort. Trust me people....... If you go, then you'll know..
....and you'll be back! Ya Mon!!!!

• Liked — EVERYTHING!!!!
  • Disliked — We were only able to stay for a week.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
GEORGIA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2008

Petrona is the manager of the property. She is very nice as is all the staff. The owner of the propety lives on the grounds so it is very well kept. I was leary about staying there because of the price. I had nothing to worry about. I enjoyed my stay and welcomed the quiet surroundings. The view from the property is amazing. I would recommend this place to someone who is on a budget but wants a safe, clean, peaceful experience. The furnishings are a bit old but the place is extremely clean. I was not disappointed it is a deal considering the price of other hotels in Jamaica.

Stayed October 2008

Been to Blue Cave Castle? Share your experiences!