“Very Relaxing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very Relaxing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

The place is very well kept and clean. My room was #4 over looking the ocean and patio. My room did not have ac nor TV. It was not hot at all in the night. I felt the ocean breeze coming from the balcony door (off course together with my fan on)This is a budget hotel so please do not expect to be like a five star resort. The guards and the staff are very nice. I recommend this hotel to any person who does like going to the beach and venture out. If you are a great swimmer than you can dive off the cliffs. The view of the ocean was beautiful. There are about two small caves that you can see. There is free coffee and tea every morning. The bed was a foam mattress, so my back was hurting every morning. I ate breakfast at Teddy's hideaway and dinner one night. The waitress was very nice, but the food was okay. Average priced. I wish I would of stood at the beach, because the taxi cab became very pricey and half of the time the drivers wanted to scam us. I recommend exchanging your currency to jamaican currency to avoid any issues especially at the pubs and restaurants. Not sure if I will go to jamaica again because of the experience my husband and I had but if we do I will just do all-inclusive next time. (It has nothing to do with the hotel)

Room Tip: If you like the beach and pool this is not the place for you. If you like relaxation and peace then...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Well, where should I start with this review? I am from Jamaica and on this trip I decided to stay at the Blue Cave Castle in Negril, Jamaica. This was a vacation/Honeymoon/1 year Wedding Anniversary and I wanted it to be special. My husband was not too excited about staying in Negril, however, when it was all said and done he had to admit it was the BEST experience ever!! Upon arriving at The BCC (Blue Cave Castle) It stood out for a few reasons; firstly, the staff was very welcoming, secondly, the hotel is a unique looking and well manicured property and thirdly the property is guarded by 2 wonderful dogs. Once settled in we decided to eat outside at the BCC and although the hotel is not all-inclusive, there is a chef on duty (Teddy) who I read was fabulous. I must say that Teddy was very accomodating and his meals were out of this world! Every morning at 5am, there is a fresh pot of delicious coffee awaiting the guests located at a little hut and you can help yourself as much as you want. You can order your meals ahead of time and eat wherever you want. Stacy-Ann, the waitress, is very sweet and attentive and always smiling. Teddy, the chef, is exceptional and if you want something that is not on the menu, he will prepare it if at all possible. I must say, for breakfast my 2 favorites were ackee and saltfish with callaloo and fried dumplings and Teddy's french toast was great!! Dinner was always fabulous and my oh my, the Lobster Thermador was a big part of "heaven" that I experienced. While at the BCC I met the owner, Susan, who's the sweetest and most welcoming person. Petrona, the property manager is a wonderful lady who sees to any needs you may have, she is very helpful in any and every way. We stayed in Superior Room #11 which had 3 beds, a queen and 2 doubles, cable, small fridge and AC (not all rooms have AC or a TV). You can go on the BCC website and get an idea of what the rooms are like, yet I found the pictures didn't do justice. While the rooms are not high tech, they are very cozy, and very clean. It also had a large bathroom and the balcony is very sunny and faces the water so that you don't even have to leave the room to see the AWESOME SUNSETS every evening. The BCC is on the cliffs and you have direct access to the sea via the caves or 2 other stairs that lead you right down to the water which you can go snorkelling right there. The water is wonderful and my husband even did a little fishing right off the cliffs and caught a few small snappers. Just sitting around in the morning sipping on our coffee we saw dolphins playing, a huge stingray and a couple schools of fish. At the BCC you are about a 10 minute cab drive from the beach ($200JA for 2 people) and I would recommend entering the beach through Kuyaba which does not charge you for entering the beach or using their beach chairs. While there we would have something to eat and their food is very good!! As an added perk they have a guard on-duty on the beach which keeps away anyone from trying to harass you into buying their goods or services. A few other places to eat that we found were very good were Sweet Spice, Just Natural (to your left out of BCC), LTU (just after Rick's Cafe) and of course Rick's Cafe. FYI, Erica's which is posted all over trip advisor as the best place for lobster is CLOSED, I made a bee-line there come to find out that the owner, Erica died a few years ago and the little roadside restaurant is CLOSED. Back to BCC which is located on the cliffs, hence, no beach on the property. One thing that I really appreciated is you can go hang out at popular spots, go to the beach, listen to music at a variety of places, go to a bar for drinks and dancing yet once back at the BCC, it is very peaceful and safe and you can just relax in your room or the common areas where you can sit, read a book, watch the boats going by or meet other wonderful guests. If you are looking for transportation from airport to hotel or to do a little sight-seeing, then please give Gregg Connell a call (1.732.334.0992 from USA or 1.876.570.2983 from JA), he is the owner of Reggae Tours and is very puntual, accomodating and reasonably priced. His vans are very clean, comfortable and have AC. I also love the fact that when using Greggs services his guides never leave you, they stay with you no matter what. For a very reasonable fee, he will also set up a cell phone that you can use while in JA to make local/international calls instead of racking up hefty charges with your phone carrier. Also, keep in mind the more people on a tour the cheaper it is per person, so if you can link up with other guests at BCC with similar interests it would be in your best interest. If you don't know where to go just ask Gregg he will tailor your tours to fit your interests. I hear that a fabulous tour is the YS Falls/Pelican Bar, I personally did not do any tours on this go around but will next time (honeymoon-HELLO) ...lol. Thanks again to Susan (owner) and all the staff, Petrona (manager), Teddy (Chef), Stacy (waitress), Santa and Mike (grounds keepers), Marcus and Peaches (Security), housekeeping, and Brandy and Coby. (security dogs)!! Know that Negril is a fisherman's town and no very tall buildings to be found. You can walk around and like anyplace else just be alert of your surroundings.The roads are narrow and winding and people drive very fast, therefore, I did not feel too comfortable walking after dark. I hope this review will help and I will attempt to post pictures in the next week once I figure out how to do it. If you should visit BCC please tell them Linda & Greg send their LOVE and if you should utilize Reggae Tours services tell Gregg Connell that Linda sent you, he will take good care of you!! ONE LOVE!!

Room Tip: Go on BCC website to get an idea of location and amenities of individual rooms. Penthouse has 39 ste...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here for our honeymoon.

Basically, this resort is great for people who simply want a bed to sleep in at night, while they are out and about all day seeing the country.

This is NOT (in my opinion) the place to stay for a honeymoon.

Service was average (despite an advanced heads up of an early check in and approval for this, our room still took 2 hours to prepare. Not a big deal...but still...) and the food at the adjoining restaurant was also of an average standard.

If you are visiting Jamaica and are spending each day out, then this place will suffice.

If you are planning a romantic getaway, I would suggest somewhere else, such as The Caves.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Stout, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Seriously, I honestly felt like royalty at this place! Everyone at The Castle is so nice and accommodating. On the other hand, it is Jamaica- so you need to be in the "chill" frame of mind and not in too much of a hurry to get what you want. It all comes together in good time. In the meantime, just relax and gaze out over the beautiful ocean! This was our second stay here. The first time we stayed, I agreed to The Castle because my husband wanted to stay here. And I found I was pleasantly surprised! Yes, yes, the accommodations are not glorious, but they are cozy and comfortable. The staff will help you with any special need you may have. I requested some extra bedding and specific types of sheets, and the maids were very helpful ( we were told by other tourists during our first trip to Jamaica to leave a tip for the maids on the pillow each day - and so we do this, and I think it helps build a nice friendly relationship with the maids). One of my water sandals came apart and the maintenance man, Donald, put it back together for me, when the prospect of finding the right glue or another pair of sandals in Negril seemed overwhelming and a bit of a hassle. The kitchen staff is great. The food is wonderful. And you can request your meal to be served anywhere on the grounds. I favor Teddy's SNAPPER, but the lobster is also very good. I also like the Callaloo - the greens- which you can request. Each room is unique here. Most have an ocean view or are RIGHT on the ocean, so you can see the ocean, or at least hear it, from your bed. The one downside to staying on the cliffs is the ROAD!! So narrow and dangerous due to the many cars whizzing quickly by! I would say that it is fine to venture out into the neighboring establishments, but I would take a taxi to the beach or to anyplace near the lighthouse - and I would only walk the road during the day when you can see the many variations in the ground beneath your feet ( I fell one night in the dark when I did not allow for the dip in the road just before we reached a curb while running to avoid being run down by a car!). We definitely felt safe at the Castle and on the cliffs, though. There is a guard at the gate at all times - and also a guard dog. No one comes onto the grounds without the permission of the owner or manager. My husband and I went snorkeling daily and had a great time in the ocean right around the castle and along the cliffs. There are two different ladders to get into or out from the ocean. It is so private! We felt that we were in a romantic paradise! And the other guests at the castle were also all very nice and interesting people. Many guests are returning visitors to the Castle year after year. We have already booked our room for next year and look forward to another visit to PARADISE!

Room Tip: Each room has it's particular charms. Check out the web site to see which one would suit you.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

This is obviously a budget option in Negril and you get what you pay for. We had originally booked a room in the main castle area but on arriving were told that the room was not available due to repairs. We were moved to another room that was very spacious but a little tired. There is also quite a walk to either get into Negril or to go to Rick's Cafe. There is a mini market across the road which is very handy.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I just returned from Negril, and I really loved staying at Blue Cave Castle, a fantastic little hotel where you can hear the ocean from your bedroom window.

I stayed in the Tower room, which is right up against the shore, about fifty feet above the water. It's a cozy little room with all the amenities, nothing fancy but everything worked. Ceiling fan, no AC, and when I return I will rent an AC room because I really do love it cold cold cold at night.

But still, a great value for the money, and the staff is super nice, specifically the security guys and Petrona, the manager who cut me a deal when I contacted her directly.

I loved floating on the ocean, and you can paddle to a little cave right in front of the hotel, and it's cool cause it goes like 100 feet in under the rocks. It's nice and clean and really organic.

All the guests were SO nice. Just really down to earth. And the food is good, too.

Room Tip: Keep in mind you have to climb some stairs, but I got used to it.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

My husband has found the most beautiful place for us to stay when we had a horrible experience at Alfreds Ocean Palace. This castle was the most beautiful thing I have laid my eyes on since my first trip to Jamaica.

This was our first trip to Negril. We often stay in Ocho Rios and it was a vacation within a vacation. I was hesitant at first because I had heard that Negril was a huge tourist area. Once we arrived we checked into Alfreds and stayed the evening. Once we woke up I was no longer happy staying at Alfred's and had to leave immediately. My husband had a backup plan thankfully and called the Blue Cave Castle. The owner answered the phone and allowed us to enter the hotel before 8AM which is unheard of. The owner allowed us to get into our room before even worrying about checking-in.

The castle blew my thoughts of Negril away. It was the most relaxed, beautiful, amazing thing I have ever seen. With the owner's hospitality i was in heaven. I was able to relax immediately. There was always coffee, tea and juice available to the guests 24 hours a day. Food was also serverd in this location. There was never a need to leave but of course if you wanted to the gate was opened anytime you wanted to go.

The castle was to die for and I never wanted to leave. Please let me know if you have any additional questions about the castle because i can remember all the details like it was yesterday.

Also, remember one thing, if you stay on the beach you cannot visit the cliffs very easily. However, if you stay on the cliffs you can visit the beach for free everyday!

Room Tip: Any room at this hotel is worth staying in.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Blue Cave Castle? Share your experiences!