“Xtabi is a great value” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 4 Nights - 25% OFF!
Ranked #28 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Central Texas
“Xtabi is a great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2009

I fell in love with Jamaica about 18 months ago and have been returning about every 12 weeks when possible. I stayed at Xtabi in September (during Hurricane Ike) and another week in December.

I have tried other resorts both on the beach and the cliffs and find Xtabi to be the best value overall. The people are all great, friendly and willing to help out if you just ask. I think what makes any budget resort stand out is the quality of the people who work there and Xtabi excels in making your stay enjoyable. I have also stayed right down the street at the Rock House on two occasions but on the last trip I got the feeling that the Rock House was quickly on the way to becoming more like an all-inclusive gated vacation than the fun spot I used to enjoy. I am a water person and Xtabi has as good if not better a cove than the Rock House. Good dining is right next door in the form of 3-Dives Jerk shack and Just Natural, veggie restaurant. Xtabi has a great bar.

I am an AC junkie so always stay in the newer rooms on the garden side which I have found quite comfortable and clean. The resort was busy last trip and I had to move to one of the economy rooms without AC for my last two nights. No problem mon! Had to turn down the fan at night.

I will be back with a group of friends at Xtabi in early May and would recommend this to anyone who likes a vacation a bit off the beaten path. Xtabi all is irie!

-Greg

Funny when reviewing they ask if I would recommend to a best friend - that's who goes with me every trip!

Stayed December 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
salida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

This place is spectacular! Breathtaking views. Plenty of caves to explore. The food is FABULOUS. The conch burgers are the best. Lobster every way imaginable! Omar (bartender) thanks for adding to the experience. The waiters were all a pleasure. The rooms are romantic and clean. OUTDOOR showers awesome!The price you can't beat it! Ask Andrew to show you his skills diving from the cliffs. Very impressive If famous Vincent comes by wanting to take you snorkeling ...take him up on it. The boat ride alone is worth it. We will be back again next year

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Central NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

We stayed at Xtabi Christmas week which can be a nightmare for traveling. Kingsley was at the airport as planned though we were hours late. We arrived in the dark and since it was our first time we had no idea what scenery we were missing. Kingsley made up for the absence with singing to the radio and telling us a bit about each place we drove through! When we arrived we were greeted politely and brought to our room immediately by security. The room was clean and pleasant. It is not the Ritz but neither is the price, what do people expect? Perhaps people complained about the pool because it was the week of and immediately after a storm...we found the pool clean. Wi-fi is available and works best at the pool, this was a plus. The restaurant was good but we spent most of the week eating at local places within walking distances and found them less expensive and good, just be prepared to wait, bring your book or a deck of cards.
The swimming off the cliffs was great and we didn't feel the ladders were unsafe and I'm not keen on heights or coordination. Andrew, who dives off the cliffs is entertaining and the boats come in to sell you a snorkeling trip/glassbottom boat if you are so inclined.Saying no thanks politely sends any Jamaican packin' we never felt pressured!
Eating out at The Rockhouse and Rick's Cafe was tasty but don't expect down-home Jamaican cooking there.Jus Natural is right next door and the women who cook traditional Jamaican dishes and serve them are a real treat! We did not rent a car and did not find it necessary because there are plenty of taxi drivers. We used Ron and he was always on time no matter where he picked us up. We definitely plan to return and stay at the Xtabi a great jumping off place and felt like home if you enjoy a low key experience!

• Liked — Friendliness of staff and guests staying at the resort
  • Disliked — no refrigerator in room and ac iced up
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

My wife and I had gone to Jamaica in August to spend a week for our honeymoon. Originally, we planned to stay at a resort owned by some friends. However, once we arrived and spent our first night in the sweltering heat and humidity without air-conditioning, and became a meal for thousands of mosquitoes during the night....we quickly decided to find new accommodations. We had passed Xtabi and commented on how beautiful it was. Needless to say, after a quick call, and explaining to Alan the manager about your predicament....though we did not have a reservation, he was able to get us a nice room for the duration of our stay.

Alan and his wife are great people....easy to get along with, and always willing to go out of their way to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable. And I must admit, he has the best stories!

Oh....and I have to comment on the bar and food. The food was GREAT....but the drinks were the absolute best! The prices were low and the drinks were better there than any other bar we visited during our stay! Great job Donovan (the bartender)!

• Liked — AIR CONDITIONING!!!!!
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
fla
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

just got back from 8 days at xtabi negril. me and my wife have been to many all inclusive resorts throughout the carribean. time to try something new. we wanted a small, quiet, cliffside resort with great snorkeling. xtabi was perfect. yes, it is a little run down( built in late 60s) but that is what gives it its charm. stayed in cottage #3. great sunset view. the staff was great and felt very relaxed and safe. donovan the bartender, andrew the all around nice guy, omar the night security and all the staff are always happy to assist you with anything. if your into 5 star all inclusive resorts with 500 rooms this resort is not for you. the snorkeling was good at the resort, but if you want to go to an off shore reef , famous vincent comes around every morning and for $25.00 he will take you on a 30 min boat ride to a reef, were the snorkeling is better.off season rates at xtabi are the best deal. if you like a small, quite ,relaxed resort xtabi is for you!!!!!!!

• Liked — location and staff
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, CA.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

We just returned from our trip to Negril and our stay at Xtabi. I will say that the hotel personnel were very kind and helpful, however the hotel itself is another story. My boyfriend and I were in room 8 which was a very nice room until we were constantly being bitten by bed bugs. At first we thought they were just mosquito bites because everyone says that they are abundant in Negril, but when I got home I looked up bed bug bites and came to find out that they were the culprits. I ended up with welts on my face, neck, arms, hands, and legs. I am very disappointed, and have sent out an email to the hotel since I didn't know what they were until I got home. I will never again stay at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2009
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
atlantic city, nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

Xtabi has been a home away from home for more than 20yrs. its set on a gorgeous cliffside edge with spectacular views of pristine water and caves. Donovan is the most articulate bartender ive ever come across-his ultimate style and class exceeds most. canr wait to go back! Luv Missy

• Liked — the amazing views
  • Disliked — no tv
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)