“Fabulous 5 days!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York
“Fabulous 5 days!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2008

My friend and I just got back from Xtabi this week and I am already ready to go back!! Alfred picked us up at the airport in the middle of a crazy storm and even after a few road closures got us to the hotel safe and sound (even stopped for a few Red Stripe's along the way). From begininning to end the hotel's service was amazing!! We stayed in room 8 and had an amazing view. The hotel has wonderful food for every meal. However, I do recommend the Jamaican Breakfast for the morning. Each dinner comes with a different soup each night and make sure to ask what night is the pumpkin, and be sure not to miss it!! Colin is a night server, and there are two Omar's in the am, all of them especially "bling-bling' Omar will be sure to make your meal very enjoyable. Donovan is the bartender and makes the best drinks; go to Champion for any wood carvings you may want and ask for Andrew if you want to dive or snorkle. The entire staff makes you feel instantly welcome!! Xtabi is a different experience than if you stay on Seven Mile Beach in one of the all-inclusive's. Xtabi is much less touristy and definitely a better choice if you want a laid back and more of a 'real' Jamaica vacation.

• Liked — Views, food and service
  • Disliked — Bug bites
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2008

But I have definitely found what I was looking for. I have been searching high and low through the Caribbean and Central America for a place to permanently vacation for about 7 years. And Negril… oh Negril. I just flew back into Toronto last night and I’m still left breathless from everything it had to offer.

Let me start off by saying I am easily impressed. I’m probably one of those reviewers that you can disregard as the top 10% that will be happy with anything. I’ve knocked a cockroach off my bed and immediately snuggled right into it, smiling after seeing a couple of sharks during a great dive in Costa Rica. I really don’t care that that much about where I am sleeping as long as there is great everything else. Another thing I should let you know is that I am extremely lucky so not everyone may have the same experience as me.

For this 7 night, 8 day vaca, my boyfriend, Marty, and I were going to stay in one of the air conditioned rooms at Xtabi on the cliffs, which were a ridiculously great value. That is, until Marty saw the pictures of the cliff-side cottages on negrilonestop, and there was no stopping him from staying at one of the two story cottages, a/c or not. Sure they cost over 100% more and hey we are totally on a budget but look at that water…They have a wicked off season package that includes airport transfers and full (amazing! Anything you order!) breakfast, including coffee and juice, at their restaurant. On top of that, there’s a further discount during the month of June that knocked off another 30% from the room, which we paid in cash. It ended up being about $820 for the week, but we saved probably $20 a day from the breakfasts (probably more because they made us full until dinner sometimes!) and $120 in airport transfers.

And the actual cottage? I cried that night because I could not fathom staying in a more perfect place. We were in Cottage two for the first 2 days and moved to Cottage 4 for the last 5. I’m not going to knock cottage 2 at all because it was fantastic when we first got there but once we moved into 4, there was no comparison. Cottage 4 is really new and from what I had read, reviewers were saying the best ones were 4 and 1. We befriended the two couples that moved in and out of Cottage 1 so we were over there a couple of times and though they were very similar, I have to say I think that ours was better because of the stairs leading up to the loft. Cottage 1 has pretty much a ladder you have to climb. It did, however, have a bidet, which ours did not. There is no A/C in the cottages and last week it was HAWT, man, but the ceiling fans are so strong that we still didn’t miss the A/C, and sometimes at night we were even chilly! We had planned on cooking since we had that full kitchen and fridge but pretty soon we realized that buying the ingredients and cabbing to the Hi Lo would cost more than eating at some of the restaurants. Anyways, we ended up filling the fridge with redstripe so at least it got some use! The cottage was on an overhanging cliff above the crystal clear blue sea. We had two private decks. One of them is totally private and you could sunbathe nude if you wanted to and no one would see (unless you wanted them to, I suppose). That one is right outside the cottage and there’s sun loungers and a table. The other is lower and that one is full on sun, no shade available, but closer to the water. Oh and the outdoor shower = total sexification. At night you can lie down in a slightly drunken haze and stare at the stars for hours. We could, anyways. Neither of us could remember the last time we had seen stars, living downtown in a major city. The manager, a Scotsman named Alan, is SO cool. He is a member of the Negril Rotary club which made it super convenient when we were scratching our heads over what to do with the suitcase of puzzles and crayons and stuff we brought over. Tons of great stories and very very helpful.

The cliffs are where it is AT. People from the beach were taking glass bottom boat trips to Xtabi so they could snorkel there. Something we could jump right off our deck and do any time we pleased. I’m an advanced diver, but if I can see the same stuff from a safer depth snorkelling, I’m happier to do so. So from right off our deck, there’s a (mostly dead) reef. We saw moray eels, a sting ray, beautiful fish (angelfish too!), a bright orange crab, puffer fish, squirrel fish (my favourite cause they look like punk rock stars) and unfortunately one day, a ton of jellyfish. YIKES! Otherwise, the visibility is fantastic. Some other guests didn’t see anything but like I said earlier, I am extremely lucky. Another lucky thing that happened that I will take this moment to brag about was I saw dolphins almost every day from our deck or the restaurant. I thought this was just normal but I discussed it with some staff and they said it was definitely not an every day occurrence.

You can snorkel in and around the caves too, which are a spectacle in their own right. We walked in and around and explored those caves. SO COOL! Little crabs scattered around everywhere and you can throw chips and they’ll eat them. However, our last night, two guys were exploring the caves and one got bitten by something and had a wicked allergic reaction. We weren’t there but we were told he almost died and his face was swollen to unbelievable proportions. No one is sure what it was but word went around that it was a spider. So if you have death allergies to spider or other insect bites, don’t go climbing around dark caves, barefoot, that have lots of rocks in them where spiders and other insects thrive. Duh. The guy didn’t have an epi pen or anything and had to be rushed to Sav la Mar… It’s a whole other story. I suppose it’s possible he may not have known he was deathly allergic to insect bites.

If you have a chance, go and do a snorkel tour or fish with Famous Vincent. He takes his boat up and down the cliffs looking for customers and he is an honest and fantastic tour guide. He really cares about the reef which I found to be very refereshing. His rates are better than the other glass bottom boat tours that take off from the beach.

Have fun when you go, I'm super jealous!

• Liked — The Cottage and the location of the resort
  • Disliked — The restaurant was just okay. Kind of pricey.
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

We stayed at the Xtabi from May 16th-20th. Great weather!! Great location at a resonable price. We have been to Jamaica 5 times to different locations and we have finally found a home away from home at the Xtabi. If you are looking for a more laid back relaxed atmosphere than all the upscale pricy resorts in Jamaica give Xtabi a try. No one to bug you like on the beach. Pleanty of places to eat and meet people in walking distance or a short cab ride. Xtabi has a restaurant if you don't feel like leaving. Food was good as well as the service. We stayed in cabin 6 located directly on the cliff. Personally the best spot. There is a stairway under this cabin that goes under the cliff and leads out to the ocean. There are several jump platforms throughout the resort or you may climb down one of many ladders that leads to the crystal clear ocean. Our cabin was clean and comfortable. The outdoor shower was quite invigorating. My only suggestion would be to replace the refridgerator. It worked fine just a little old. There is not a radio so bring your own. Be sure to eat at 3 dives next door. When we were leaving we ran into Alan the manager (nice guy) we told him this was our 5th trip and we finally found exactly what we have been searching for. He told us 60 % are returning guests and we now know why.

• Liked — Private cabin
  • Disliked — We loved every bit of it!!
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

Great service, privacy and lovely accomodations....spectacular views..we had a great time at Xtabi

Stayed May 2008
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2008

Just got back yesterday from a wonderful one-week vacation in Negril (first time in Jamaica). We split our days between White Sands (see other review) and Xtabi. We stayed in Room 7, a simple but quaint room on the bottom floor of one of the octagonal cottages in the back of the property, cliff side. At first we were a little concerned that there was no A/C, and although A/C is always nice, we definitely didn't need it, especially during night time. The fan is really powerful and the temperatures not too stifling. The outdoor shower was fun. The grounds are nice and kept clean. The restaurant was nice too, but I found the prices a little high (I generally found this to be the case in all of Negril!). Here's what I liked about the property: I felt like I was at a hotel and felt taken care of, everyone was friendly and helpful, everything was clean, the views, cliffs, sea, and caves are amazingly beautiful, no hagglers like on the beach, and it was nice to have a restaurant, even though we didn't eat there much due to the high prices (I recommend it for lunch, though). Now here's what I didn't like so much: the limited/high price menu of the restaurant, and one of the bartenders/waiters offered to sell us drugs (weed), which put me off a little. The rest is to be expected from what is, after all, a budget hotel: the bed wasn't the most comfortable, towels were thin, grounds could be prettier. I would definitely recommend staying here if you have decided to stay on the cliffs. I really enjoyed eating at Just Natural across the street (wonderful ITAL food and drinks) and laying out and swimming in the ocean. Xtabi is also great for snorkeling and the vibe is much more "chill" than on the beach. This is definitely a great bang for your buck!

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2008

We just returned from a 14 day stay at Xtabi and had wonderful time. Great place, with extremely friendly staff, few names I should mention: Alan the manager who entertained me often with stories from his travels, Kingsley, Champion, Omar and especially my new friend; Junior-Mac the driver. Thanks Mac for everything, we will be in touch!
If you are looking for Club Med experience go someplace else, but what Xtabi offers is the ambiance, laid back atmosphere, great food, excellent views, swimming, diving and snorkelling. The rooms are basic and some equipment is dated but the rates are very reasonable especially in the low season.
You will not be disappointed if you choose to stay there, and I highly recommend it.
Respect, Andre

Stayed April 2008
Durham NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2008

Getting there
My husband and I stayed at Xtabi in March and even though we've been lucky enough to visit Jamaica many times, this was one of our best trips ever..so good we even extended our stay by 2 days!
We flew into the negril airport (we usually take the higway and flying TimAir made the trip so much easier!!) and one of the taxi drivers was available- Tarzan is fabulous!!! He bills his service as full service...annd it was! He was patient while we stopped at the grocery store for goodies, while we stoped by the bar at Idle Awhile for Carlton's Rum Punch (no trips to Negril are complete without it and a quick shout out to the fabulous staff there- LOVE them too!), then up to Xtabi...

Our cottage was ready right away.. check in was so easy!!! We were in the cottage in just a few seconds....
The cottage was darling- new cushions since the last time we were there .. and oceanview can't be beaten..and the outdoors shower-WOW!!
Our Stay
The staff and management were great- they even helped us arrange for a massage with Sara (which was fabulous!)...
The XTABI cliff cottages really are the best escape ... no bar noise...just the wonderful crashing waves! We got up in the morning and stumbled out to our deck to watch for dolphins...got coffee from the restaurant.. and spent the rest of the day watching the ocean, snorkeling in the coves, and making those really tough decisions- where to eat, how long to nap, and whether it was really necessary to get out of our chairs ever again... and what to order from the bar!
Where to eat
Breakfast was wonderful- xtabi's lobster benedict would be worth CLIMBING up their cliffs to get to!!! We mostly ate at some of the wonderful places along the cliff road for lunches and dinners- the steamed lobster at 3 dives, and the curried conch there are to DIE for... other favorites were Miss Brown Sugar's (across from Home Sweet Home) lobster omlette and her banana pancakes-also don't miss her seafood platter!- Spice and Spice for curried loster and chicken- and for their brown stew chicken...and as strange as it may seem, Home Sweet ome has great lobster pizza for 500 J!...
Our stay there was so fabulous, in fact, that we called the airlines, our work places back in the states, and our friends to say we'd decided to stay a few days longer...just couldn't bear to leave!
Our sincere thanks to the management and staff- thanks to you all we came home totally decompressed... and counting the days till we see them all again in August! Soon come!

• Liked — Privacy and the cliff view
  • Disliked — No air conditioning- but even that is manageable!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Xtabi Resort? Share your experiences!