“Xtabi Irie” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Pottstown
“Xtabi Irie”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Writing about Xtabi is like writing about an old friend.
I first encountered this enchanted little cove on the cliffs of Negril in the late '80's thinking it was the best swimming hole in the world. My wife and I stayed in a garden room in 2005. I can remember imagining myself as a Taino Indian perched on the top ledge of the cliff looking for my next catch of fish. The intricate set of caves underneath Xtabi was my secret launching point.
This year we had a better budget and were looking for the perfect place to stay. I started looking at my old photos and suddenly the memories kicked in. We were going to stay on the cliff cottages and it was going to be the best.
We contacted Donna and Talcia at the front desk in December and before long we were hooked up - Cottage #3 for nine days in February. We checked out the reviews on Trip Advisor and started dreaming about the warm trade breezes and sunny weather.
Rarely does the dream get fully realized. But our stay at Xtabi was better than imagined.
Cottage #3 is like a picture postcard. The view from the front porch overlooking the Caribbean is framed beautifully by two old knarly trees growing right out of the cliffs. The cottage is set back a bit from the other three cottages nearby and provides a pocket of intimacy. As our neighbors in Cottage 4 who frequent Xtabi said to us - "your place has good Juju".
It really was like a mini Paradise. The waves from the Caribbean lulled us to sleep each night. We were wakened each morning by four beautiful and talkative green Parrots. We had Blue Mountain coffee brewing in the coffee maker we brought with us. We reclined in our comfortable king-sized bed and looked out our French doors to the panorama before us. The big issue of the day was where we were going to eat breakfast and dinner or what sunscreen to wear. We read and had long conversations about anything and everything. We got to know each other again. Everything a vacation should be. The staff was friendly, unobtrusive and always seemed to know when they were needed.
Xtabi is still the great swimming hole I remembered from the eighties. There are enough ladders and jump off points into the big Caribbean swimming pool. And the place has a nice sized pool on the garden side for when the ocean gets a bit rough. There is also a cave with a sandy beach inside of it that has to be seen to be believed.
One of the best surprises was the restaurant at Xtabi. The food was greatly improved from our stay in 2005. In fact, it ranked as one of the best places to eat we experienced this trip. The Jamaican breakfast, omelettes, grouper fish and curried Lobster were perfectly prepared.
If one needed to stay in contact with Babylon, wifi was available at the bar. If not, there were no TV's or telephones in the room and that was welcomed. We couldn't help but feel we stepped back into the 50's or 60's.
The gardens are lush, colorful and well-maintained. It just added to the Eden-like atmosphere of the place. It was a great dream for both of us at a time we needed to dream.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Evanston, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We love Xtabi! We stayed in cottage #8 - which I would pick again in a heartbeat. It has a fantastic partial view from a veranda that we spent a lot of time on. I couldn't believe how quiet it was here- except for the background reggae music coming from the bar, which we enjoyed. It really is worth the extra money over a garden room. Basically, you have arrived at your destination. It is gorgeous. This place is rustic and feels like Jamiaca. We loved the outdoor shower. It was very spacious and clean. The tall ceilings make it feel even roomier. The huge ceiling fan keeps the tempurature very comfortable. The staff was very helpful and super friendly. We would walk down the stairs and jump off the cliffs or enter the beautiful warm sea through one of the caves. We snorkelled (watch out for jelly fish!) and swam and watched beautiful sunsets. Once or twice a day a tour bus would stop through. They don't stay too long - and other than those times, we hardly even saw anybody. There is no TV and no telephone and we feel like we truly escaped to paradise. Next time we come to Negril, we will spend more time at Xtabi and less time at the beach - never thought I would say that.

Room Tip: upgrade to a seaside cottage!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
windsor ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I eneded up finding a very last minute super deal on a flight, which left me only one day to find a room! As I travel to Negril several times a year I sent out emails and researched any rooms available last minute. I recieved a quick response from Donna at Xtabi and worked out a deal quickly easily. Room: spaciuos wood finished room was more than expected, with one of the most comfortable matresses i have experianced in Jamaica, the shower had lots of presure and there was always hot water! Cold AC, a really powerful ceiling fan and cable tv, what more could you want. There is a pool onsight and one of the best sea access on the westend for swimming and snorklling. I had breakfast and lunch at the restaurant a few time and the food was good and the servive was excellent. I really enjoyed my stay here and would definitely return. The only thing i can find negative, is the drink prices,they are a on the high side, but i guess that has to do with the view that comes with them.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Thank you once again to the staff and management of Xtabi Resort. We once again chose Xtabi for the second time as a stop over place on our way through Negril. We stayed in Cottage #8 - the second floor of #7. The cottage is quaint and we love the outdoor shower. Always clean, well cared for, no phone, no TV and the perfect place for some rest and relaxation.
We once again enjoyed exploring the caves. The view is wonderful and the sunsets rival other popular locations.
We will be back on our next time in Negril. A wonderful place! It really is a 'place of the Gods'.

Room Tip: We like staying on the cliff side - have always had Room 8.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Southern California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Fabulous view, but the food is not even mediocre...

I took a friend here as a "thank you" treat and was embarrassed by how bad both the service and the food were. The night we were there, the youngish staff was much more consumed with chatting amongst themselves than waiting on the customers.

Comments to the waiter that the food was less than expected were met with a shoulder shrug. I wouldn't return and would not recommend the restaurant to anyone else... unless you just stop in for a drink and enjoy the view.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Xtabi exploits Jamaican-style charm with it's rustic cottages which enables you to feel the atmosphere and vibe of the island. If you prefer to stay in 5-star resorts when you travel, then this place is not for you. But if you like to submerge yourself in the culture of the places you travel, then this resort should be on the top of your list for Negril.

We stayed in cottage #1, which was the most prodigious of all the cottages. The views from the cottage were unobstructed and spectacular. I don't think I've ever seen such beautiful sunsets (well, besides Cafe Del Mar in Ibiza). You also hear the ocean at night when you sleep, it was quite tranquil.

Across the street is 'Just Natural' and they have delectable organic Jamaican cuisine at very cheap prices.

All-in-all, I'll definitely be returning to Negril at some point and opt to stay at Xtabi.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have been going to Xtabi for over 20 years, roughly 13 stays in various rooms and cottages! when you find something good why change! The cottages are so quaint. And the staff are friendly and sweet. I will return to Negril and will definitely stay in what I consider my "home away from home"!

Room Tip: Cottages are the best but the hotel rooms have air.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Xtabi Resort? Share your experiences!