“Rustic” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 89 Hotels in Negril
Iowa City, Iowa
“Rustic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

We spent some time at xtabi this year like we do whenever we go to Jamaica. This is a small property nestled on the clifts.....not much has changed sine it was built in the 1970's. It's a boutique style resort, long on atmosphere. If you live for the all-inclusive this not the place for you. The accomidations are simple, views and swimming are spectacular. The bar and resteraunt take full advantage of the view. Rooms 1 & 4 have the best views on he cliff. Resteraunt serves good food and the staff are always friendly and helpful. There is alot of footage on YouTube that acurrately show the properties. It's got the feel of the rustic hunting lodge located in paradise. For our tastes a great place to spend a long weekend, then go down to the beach for more action.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 & 4 are on the cliff with private ocean access, our favorite on the garden side is #21...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
RahChaCha
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

I love my trips to Jamaica and Negril. I knew on my first trip to Negril after visiting the bar and restaurant at Xtabi that I would one day stay there. It is such a beautiful and central location on the cliffs. Really close walk (Be very careful walking the west end road!!!) to so many excellent likkle bars, restaurants and other hotels. We got an excellent deal for garden side room with A/C and TV via negrilonestop. We had an upstairs room with a huge vaulted ceiling and a balcony with a nice view and used that a lot. The bathroom could use a little update but it was clean and served our needs with no issues. The Bed was a little hard but I slept well. The CAVES under the bar are literally one of the coolest places on this earth. The cliff jumping, swimming and snorkeling are great in their protected likkle cove. The restaurant food is great and very reasonably priced. Next door is a restaurant called Jus Natural run by one of the most gracious hosts in the world named Mother Theresa and she makes you feel right at home. They have a small menu but everything is homemade, wholesome, healthy and well priced. LOVE IT! The staff at Xtabi were all wonderful and welcoming. Maybe the office staff could use some happy pills but everyone else was welcoming and friendly. I prolly would not recommend this place for someone who more used to newer or All Inclusive resort experiences. I would describe Xtabi as a likkle bit rustic or shabby chic. You can book this place for weekly specials that are really cheap so do your homework. I cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: Room # 16 is not so good. Upstairs garden side are great. Bring Mask and Snorkel.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

Xtabi is an awesome get away. We travel there every year and have always enjoyed the exceptional view, friendly staff and great prices. If you want to enjoy the Jamaican experience with all the charm of the real people and the community Xtabi is the place to go. Cottage one is outr home away from home

Room Tip: The cottages are right on the seafront. There are also rooms on the garden side for very reasonable...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Topeka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

We spent 2 nights at Xtabi in August of 2011. We had been to Negril twice before both times staying on the 7 mile beach. This past trip we wanted to experience the cliffs a little more. We booked our two nights in a superior room on the garden side with AC and TV along with an ocean view. Good ocean view even though it was on the garden side (which is on the other side on the road.) You do have to pay attention to which room you book, i.e. Sea-front, Sea-side, standard superior and standard plus rooms are on the garden side. We were in a standard superior room 19.
For the price we couldn't complain at all. High ceilings, with fan, verandah to watch the ocean and sunset. Clean, comfortable, AC worked great, also good water pressure in the shower.
Staff very good, friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Xtabi is great! It's more of a hotel than a resort and has an authentically Jamaican feel, whereas the other resorts are blatantly European in function and structure. We stayed in a small but cozy cabin. It was clean and the air conditioning worked. We had to take cold showers though, because there was no hot water in the showers. The restaurant across the street had great food and amazing mixed drinks, though its expensive. If you want to try other things you can easily walk up and down the road and find other restaurants. The Xtabi cliffs are beautiful! The water is so clear and easily accessible thanks to the ladders, but you have to watch your step because if you slip you're in trouble.

The hotel is also 2 miles or so from the beach and my companion and I walked there a couple times during our stay. It's also about a 30 min walk from the Negril lighthouse, which sits on the western-most tip of Jamaica. There are geckos in the room to catch the bugs, so don't be surprised if you find a lizard scurrying around the bed. Overall my friend and I felt really safe during our stay. The staff was very friendly and we got to know some of them.

I'll conclude by saying that Xtabi is a great place for a very PARTICULAR type of tourist. If all you want to do is relax on the cliffs, wear the new cover-up you just bought at Bloomingdales, go to tourist traps like Ricks Cafe and never leave the resort, Xtabi is definitely NOT the place for you. I spent most of my vacation out in the city of Negril interacting with the locals. I walked everywhere just like many locals and rarely took a taxi, even after it got dark. I rarely had access to wifi and I dealt only in Jamaican dollars. If that sounds like the kind of vacation you'd like, then Xtabi is a great choice

Jamaica is a very very very poor country so don't go there expecting the exact same accommodating you'd get in the US or Europe. Staying is Xtabi is more like living like an upper-middle class Jamaican NOT like a European. If you want to stay in your comfort zone, then shelling out $200 plus a night for another resort might not be such a bad idea.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Canal Fulton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

What a great little resort! Diving from the cliffs, ocean views, great restaurant, exploring the caves, snorkeling, sun bathing, swimming, etc....stayed here Nov. 2011. While yes it is on a main road and the road cuts through the property we mainly found ourselves on the cottages/ocean side. For $75 a night we couldn't have asked for more. My only complaint was that it was noisy being on the main road and we are used to quiet living back home, so we were up by 6am daily with the traffic and horns....but we sat and watched lobster fishermen and we'd go snorkeling. Kingsley, the driver, is awesome and a great deal to and from the airport...or for a day tour...book him in advance!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Yokosuka, Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

My wife and I have been to Negril many times and she has always wanted to stay somewhere near the cliffs. I wasn't so interested in that area because it is a little far from the main area (beach) and when I think of Jamaica, I think 'beach.' This year, I finally gave in and said OK to staying at a hotel there, but only for one night (luckily). We searched the net and saw that Xtabi was rated number one by one site. The prices were very low and it seemed as if all the rooms had a great view of the cliffs. When we got there, we were courteously greeted by the staff, signed in, and told to follow the porter/handyman (?) to our rooms. I got out our luggage and headed for the ocean side of the street. We were parked in a lot on the opposite side. The man said we were on the wrong side and I immediately got suspicious. He took us to the 'Garden Side' to our room. I looked it over and became furious. I explained that on the web site, there was no mention of a Garden Side and all the pictures showed only the ocean side so I thought all rooms had an ocean view. It only stated that we had a choice between a standard and deluxe (I think) room. I asked him to show us the rooms on the other side and he did. I was still very hot under the collar but it wasn't his fault so I tried to be nice about it. The rooms on the Ocean Side were really nice - bedroom upstairs with dining/living downstairs and spectacular views of the cliffs and sunset, but they lacked air-conditioning and were OVER double the price. I realized the scam that was going on and vented on the staff at the desk. The site also said there was only one room left for booking but when we were there almost the entire Ocean Side was vacant. Maybe that's how they lure you and then get you to pay extra for the Ocean Side room. Anyway, my wife wanted a room with a/c so we stayed on the opposite side near the pool. That room left a lot to be desired. The a/c was not very cooling except in the dead of night. It was noisy and you could see outside through the cracks in the wall where the a/c was housed and also through the window openings. Many areas in the room were not painted and the concrete wasn't even finished. The only amenity in the room was a bar of soap. There wasn't a TV, although that isn't so important. As I was showering, the water went out (the pressure was extremely low to begin with) and I was left standing there with shampoo in my hair and eyes. Upon checking out, the manager said the pressure had been restored. Lot of good that did me! I had to catch a few drops from the unmovable shower head. I would warn everyone to make sure you are getting what you pay for or expect. I would not recommend this hotel but I have to say the staff were very polite and courteous. This is a case where the management is at fault for not doing more to improve the facility. The staff are still using pen and paper to keep pertinent records in this day and age!! I do believe I saw this property for sale on a Jamaican rental agency's site so maybe they are just trying to get what they can before they sell the place.

Room Tip: Make sure you are getting what you think you are getting. I booked on Expedia and that site does not...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
David P, General Manager at Xtabi Resort, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
We are sorry that the person was so dissapointed. There is no scam, only the prices should tell one that there must be a difference in many ways. If you buy a cheep room you should not expect everything you want, only what one will need. If you compromise on the price you will compromise on the product. Just like Mercedes to a Ford, both good cars, but with different owners.
Xtabi is in a class of its own, We try hard to please our guest, Some are just not reasonable and are unwilling to be pleased.