“Not what it used to be” 4 of 5 stars

Rockhouse Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   West End Rd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #4 of 91 Hotels in Negril
Harmony, USA
“Not what it used to be”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I have been going to Rockhouse for over 25 years and it is by far the most beautiful location on the Negril cliffs. Since the secret came out and the new Premium Huts were added the staff has changed, the rates went up and the overall feel of the resort is not the same. The rooms have
not been renovated in years, the beds are small & uncomfortable, the chairs are wicker and actually hurt when wearing your bathing suit or shorts. Wear pants to dinner! It is a really cool location to have dinner and watch the sunset. The food is excellent. You are better off going there for dinner or lunch to check out the place, swim, and hang. The cliffs are great, but the owners have changed hands a few times over the years and they are trying to make it the new "Chic" location of Negril. The rooms are WAY over priced for what you are getting, NOTHING! You can go to a posh hotel almost anywhere for the money you will spend here. If you do go, you will like the experience but most likely won't go again because of the price. C'mon Rockhouse, those rates should be for an "all-inclusive" vacation!

Room Tip: Premium Huts are best - beds are small (queen size) old and uncomfortable. There isn't a comfor...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Charlotte_WallaceGM, General Manager at Rockhouse Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
I would like to thank this guest for writing a review on Rockhouse and for sharing her opinion on the hotel as being by far the most beautiful location on the Negril cliffs and rating our food as being excellent.

The ownership of the hotel has not changed in almost 20 years when it was bought in 1994 by the current owners. There have been many developments as it expanded from 10 to 34 rooms, added a horizon pool, world-class spa and second restaurant over the past 19 years, however we have remained focused on our foremost commitment which is to provide an exceptional and authentically Jamaican experience for our guests. Additionally we are totally committed to responsible tourism, our environmental program being green globe certified, and we have invested over US$2 million in local community projects through the Rockhouse Foundation.

Whereas we offer Premium Villas at the highest end—we do offer 6 different room categories that each have their distinct features and varying levels of appeal depending on our guests tastes and budgets. We have been undertaking our annual maintenance program and will have undertaken upgrades to all our rooms over this low season. In the Travel + Leisure Magazine Worlds Best Awards we were voted the #5 hotel in the Caribbean and the only one on the top 20 list identified as good value.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This was our first time to Jamaica and I must say that staying at the Rock House was awesome. The property was always at its topnotch appearance. I had the pleasure of staying in a standard room and a premium villa while in Jamaica and yes the villas are gorgeous but the standard rooms are nice as well. The website does not do the standard villas any justice. We loved the Rockhouse so much that we plan on visiting them at least once a year. The staff was extremely nice and the spa on the cliff "to die for". I give this resort without a doubt 5 stars you will enjoy it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This was our third visit to Jamaica and by far the best. My wife and I stayed July 28th-August 4th at The Rockhouse and it was spectacular! We stayed in a standard room the first 3 nights and Villa #10 the last 4 nights. Both rooms were great, Villa #10 was off the charts though (Definitely the best room/view/privacy)!! The entire staff was very friendly and we felt like family by the time we departed. We spent most day's at the pool and the pool bar staff was amazing. At night we went to 3 dives, LTU, and our go-to place was Eddies De Bar. Eddie has excellent food and the vibe there is even better. Make sure you get out and enjoy the West End neighborhood!!

Room Tip: Standard room was fine if your on a budget, if not you can't beat Villa 10
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Jamaica is an eclectic mix of every type of tourist thrown into a melting pot of local culture and various attempts at manufactured nirvana. Rockhouse pulls off the authentic feel for the discerning visitor. There is also comfort in knowing you are contributing in part to the community. You are close enough to the tourist activities, should you choose to participate, but far enough away to soak up the atmosphere and lose yourself for a while. The ambiance is stunning, and the service is excellent. What a great location to unwind, be creative or just simply relax!

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 12, and it was marvelous for myself and two of my daughters. Some villas have la...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Port of Spain, Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

This is one of my favorite boutique hotels in Jamaica, the location is truly amazing. From start to finish it appeals to all the senses sight sound taste and touch. The thatched roofed villas are lovely with furniture that oozes caribbean chic, four poster beds with mosquito netting, a nicely stocked mini bar, and private outdoor showers, a favorite of mine ;-) I even love the little starfish oils soaps n toiletries that they stock the room with. Almost Anywhere you go on the compound you see and hear the sounds of the ocean (except for the spa) which is a quiet zone naturally. The spa and products are great as well, I did a brown sugar and coffee body scrub and massage, and bought a couple of the massage oils to take home with me. Dining at the push cart restaurant is a pleasure, good food, good drinks and really good service. The overall experience was very enjoyable and the staff are very warm and helpful. I stayed here with a group of friends,and separately visited the spa and dined as part of a couple. I would definitely recommend this as a place to stay or visit .

Room Tip: Any of the villas as they are all near the ocean
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The Rockhouse is truly a special place, we will forever remember our weekend here. Upon arrival we learned that the studios we had booked we being renovated and that we had be upgraded to villas! This was such a boost to our stay, the views from the villas are stunning. The villas themselves are really not that fancy but they have a nice rustic charm. The view is the selling poing at this resort. It is a very unusual thing to be able to snorkel whenever you want right out in front of your room, there is no need to go on a boat with a ton of other people.

The resort feels like you are the only ones staying there, we saw a few other people here and there but it is a very, quiet peaceful place. I really appreciated that they don't gouge you on the little details, the snorkel equipment was only $6 a day to rent, the mini bar prices were very fair, the food prices were extremely reasonable.

The rockhouse uses Kennys Tours for all of your transportation needs. I highly suggest using them, we only used an outside cab once and it was a little frightening, the "cab" was falling apart, the seats had stuffing coming out of them and the driver spent more time on the right side of the road than the left. Kennys cabs are pristine and new, every driver was very courteous.

The restaurants , we only ate at Rockhouse and Pushcart. Pushcart is a fun atmosphere but we didn't really care for our meal there. Rockhouse has decent food for reasonable prices with a great view.

Suggestions if you are staying at Rockhouse :
There are three other restaurants within walking distance - Pressleys which is right across and a little to the right of Pushcart, 3 dives which is a few min. walk to the left of Pushcart and Debar which is to the right of the hotel. We did not eat at any of these but they all have excellent reviews.
Go to Seven Mile Beach - We had Kennys Tours drop us off at idle Awhile and they were so accomodating and friendly. They set us up some chairs on the beach and had excellent drinks and very nice servers. There are lots of characters on this beach, definately good people watching ! water sports, vendors and tons of restaurants and bars make for a really fun day.

Ricks Cafe - this was a really fun place to go!

Our best meal was at Ivans Bar, a short walk from Ricks.

Bottom line - I loved the Rockhouse and Negril!

Room Tip: Room 19 had a loft and a bathroom with a door. The outdoor shower was a little sunken and had an ov...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Rockhouse is a wonderful place to stay as a couple/friends getaway or family. It is absolutely beautiful. The hotel seems to be woven into the rock and water. The best vistas ever!!!

The rates at the Rockhouse are second to none. Comparable hotels are double or triple the rates. The prices at the restaurants are great also. Don't miss the Jamaican breakfast at the hotel's restaurant.

The rooms are smaller than what I am accustomed to but it was fine. We did not spend too much time in the room. Our room had an outdoor shower which was very cool.

The reason I was compelled to write this review is the service. I was visiting my father in Jamaica and we went to Rockhouse to spend a few days in Negril. When I returned to my father's house in Trelawny I realized that I left a bag in the hotel room (this was hours later). I called the Rockhouse and the person who answered the phone was aware of the items that were left behind. I was departing Jamaica the following day. She told me she would call me back. She called back with half hour and told me of the arrangements she made to have my items "pony expressed" to Montego Bay where I could retrieve them. I have traveled extensively all over the world over the past 30 years. I have NEVER seen customer service like this. When I have forgotten items in the hotel they were always "forgotten". Rockhouse gets five stars from me.I will definitely be back and will sing their praises to anyone who will listen and even those that won't.

Room Tip: I would chose any of the Villa's from 1-8. They have the best views!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Rockhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!