“Relaxing at Rockhouse” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 91 hotels in Negril
Buffalo, New York, United States
“Relaxing at Rockhouse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed at Rockhouse for 5 days/4nights January 31, 2013- February 4, 2013. The setting is just beautiful and the entire property has a relaxed, calming vibe. My wife and I went for one reason: relaxation, and that's exaclty what we got. We stayed in a villa (#19). Very private, with it's own dedicated patio perched on the cliffs above the ocean. We could take a dip in the ocean or pool at our leisure... even though Rockhouse was fully booked, there was never a crowd of people. You get a relaxing, intimate experience. My wife loved the massages in the open air huts overlooking the ocean. Spring for a villa if you can... other guests staying in standard rooms indicated they would go for a villa on another trip.

The Rockhouse Restaurant, Pushcart and the were all very good, but not outstanding. I think the snapper sandwiches at the pool were actually the best thing I ate. Reasonable prices.

Rokchouse is all about the view, sunset and ocean. I am not really a beach person, so it was perfect for me to just hear the surf crashing against the cliffs and take short swims in the ocean... if you are looking for a sandy beach, Rockhouse doesn't fit the bill.

Nothing too negative to note... I wish you could reserve specific villas (not sure why you would not be able to do that). I also wish the bar in Joseph's Cave was open... it would be great to swim the caves under the Rockhouse and grab a drink then just wander up to Pushcart... maybe it will re-open someday. I also wish they allowed jumping from the ledge at Pushcart... the local kids scale the cliffs and jump no problem (and I jumped from various spots on Rockhouse property and off)... just pick a clear blue spot and jump... it's very deep.

Overall, Rockhouse is a small, intimate hotel. It is not a resort. If you want to unwind, unplug (no TVs.. wifi worked reasonably well but could sometimes be spotty) and relax (no gym), I think it is ideal.

Room Tip: You will not regret upgrading to a villa, even though it is about twice as much.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

722 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband and I traveled to the Rockhouse Hotel in March of 2010 for a dear friend's wedding. We had traveled to a resort in Ochos Rios for our honeymoon (The Royal Plantation all inclusive), but had never visited the other side of the island. Although it was a bit of a car ride from the airport, once we got there we immediately felt right at home and so relaxed. This resort is definitely a 'no frills' resort and does not offer many of the bells and whistles that you might find at a larger resort or an all-inclusive, but who needs all that when you are surrounded by such beauty. The view of the ocean and rocks is exquisite and the they lush grounds surrounding the property are kept emaculate. The room we were in was bare basics - bed, bathroom, with a little sitting area, but that was all we needed. Note - there was no TV in the room which I found nice because it forced me to read the books I had brought along with me. Also, we were so busy with wedding activities, that we really did not need a TV. The pool, pool bar and spa were all wonderful. The food was delicious - all of it! The staff was very friendly and helpful too. The only thing we missed was not being able to dive off the rocks as the seas were too rough while we were there, but perhaps this just means we have to go back for a second visit!

I would definitely recommend this to couples looking for a quiet, leisurely getaway. I do not think I would bring children here due to the rocks (slightly dangerous landscape) and the lack of activities to keep them occupied. Even though it was not my wedding, I think the bride would agree that the wedding went down without a hitch - it was an awesome venue for a small/intimate wedding!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed only 1 night at the Rock House but it was perfect. We were upgraded upon check in, the food was amazing, and the atmosphere was just what we were looking for. The rooms were not brand new but they had a romantic character about them including the mosquito netting and all. We rented some snorkel gear from the pool side grill and snorkled in and out of the caves it was beautiful. Not the best snorkeling I've ever done but just a neat experience with the caves and beautiful marine life. We stayed at several places while in Jamaica and we really wish we could have extended our stay at the Rock House, we will definitely go back again!

• Stayed January 2013
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I just stayed at the Rockhouse Hotel in Negril, Jamaica in January 2013 for one week with my wife and our 19 year-old son. It exceeded my expectations. The food at both restaurants was great, including our poolside grill options of a chicken, tuna, jerk sausage (phenomenal) and fresh fruit. Some places are ridiculously uptight about eating and drinking poolside, but Rockhouse staff are totally accommodating with ice bucket refills, clean facilities, and a healthy measure of flexibility when it comes to special menu requests.

The swimming and snorkeling off the low cliffs was fun. We were all thrilled not to be dragging home buckets of sand on our feet, in our suits, and generally everywhere - so that was an added benefit!

The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. Some places don't respect a "do not disturb" door hanger, but the folks at Rockhouse totally did. And when it came to a big Sunday NFL playoff game we were worried about accessing, no problem mon! We watched and enjoyed it at the lobby/restaurant bar. They let down some shades to separate the diners from any boisterous fans and voila! they seamlessly accommodate two really different guest experiences.

What else - the grounds are beautiful - all the little walkways are clear of debris. You can walk barefoot all over the grounds without worry of a cut -- but that's coming from someone who will walk barefoot practically anywhere. They take genuine pride in the paradise they've created and it comes through in all sorts of ways.

The hotel store (boutique) had some really nice, non-cheesy tee-shirts along with other necessities that are a hassle or impossible to travel with. Same is true for the in-room offerings - with some funny things like condoms, rolling papers, bug spray, and a sarong - in case of a rough night when all hope of finding your own clothing is lost.

I wish we had gone off the grounds and explored more of Jamaica, but there will be another visit in our future. I wasn't sure about the whole cost/benefit of renting a car vs. a two-hour cab fare to and from Montego Bay (MoBay) airport, but it all worked out. We got lost once on the way to RH -- a guy say me negotiating a rotary and said, "you going to Negril? You goin' da wrong way." Then, he proceeded to give me awesome directions. Sure enough, on the way back to MoBay for our flight out, I took a wrong turn early on, sending us over the mountains instead of the coastal route. Our wise son suggested that we get directions for the complete journey (instead of the vague "that way to MoBay" approach I kept settling for). Sure enough, at a gas station, a small-load truck driver told our son that he was driving all the away to MoBay -- and over the hiilies and through the jungle we went following our new escort --without a hitch.

Jamaicans are the best. My heart was very happy to be able experience such a great journey.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed in Premium Villa 2, which is beautiful. What we really liked about it was the outdoor shower and the quietness during the night so we could sleep - that has been a problem at other properties where we've stayed.
The restaurant was very good for breakfast and we enjoyed the sampler appetizer plate for lunch, especially the coconut shrimp.
We enjoyed snorkeling and the pool area was very nice.
It is a little spendy compared to other properties, but we did enjoy the time we spent here!

Room Tip: Premium villa 2 was nice - very quiet at night.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Naples, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I was to Rockhouse for honeymoon…………. It was an excellent experience.
The Hotel is large, with a beautiful nature, incredible scenery. There are many comfortable beach chairs were you can admire the stunning sunset. The villas are big, clean, very comfortable. The pool is open 24h…. swing during night with the full moon is unforgettable. There is a discreet security team 24h and it is very important in Negril. I obtained for honeymoon champagne and spa as gifts. Finally, the restaurant is excellent, one of the best that I never tasted!!!
The price is high!!! Many mosquitos

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have stayed here three times, it is beautiful, romantic, private and quiet. The restaurant was very good but the area is filled with yummy places (walk, ride or taxi) If romance is what you seek this is the place to stay!

Room Tip: Cottages with a higher number are farther from the restaurant
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rockhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!