“One of my favorite hotels in the world.” 5 of 5 stars

Rockhouse Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   West End Rd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #4 of 91 Hotels in Negril
new york city
“One of my favorite hotels in the world.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I've been to Rockhouse three times now and I intend to keep going back. To me, it's the perfect combination of an extraordinary property, great staff and good food.

If you prefer mega resorts or formality, you won't like it here. But if you're looking for a boutique size hotel with a unique style, you won't find one better.

I see some people are disappointed in the room size of the standard and studio rooms. I find them perfectly adequate for two people, especially given that the property is so amazing, you're rarely even in your room. The villas are an option, if you need tons of space, and the premium ones are really beautiful.

The people who work here really make Rockhouse what it is. Everyone is very warm, welcoming, and helpful.

You *must* try the spa. I'm a spa junkie and the women who work in the spa are as good as any spa therapists I've had anywhere. I find that often in hotels, the massages are lackluster, but here they are incredible.

And I have to compliment the gardeners. They have created a real paradise!

My one wish: it would be great if in the mornings they could offer fresh ground decaf coffee. Jamaican coffee is so good, but for those of us who don't drink caffeine, it's sad to be handed a packet of Sanka. For now, I bring the portable Starbucks decaf packets.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at this spot in April 2012. We were driving around Jamaica for 10 days.
For the most part we were staying a hostels. It was a treat to go to Negril and treat our selves to one of the bungalows at the Rockhouse. Though we did have a car and drove everywhere it wasn''t so close to everything like restaurants and the beach. The bungalow had a nice honeymoon feel to it. We had a beautiful view of the ocean and sunset. The staff were attentive and the restaurant had a great menu. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
dayton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I'll start by sincerely apologizing to my wonderful friends at the Rockhouse...I'll explain soon. I called the Rockhouse based on a referral from a good friend who suggested that I take my wife to this resort if I wanted the best vacation ever for serious rest and relaxing with my wife... Well, needless to say its what I did and we had a magical vacation that we will never forget. From the moment I spoke with Inise (the wedding planner - hotel management), I had a feeling of being in good hands and that regardless of what would happen with this trip, she and her amazing staff would make it right. I've never been more RIGHT. She helped me plan every detail of the major event of asking my wife to re-marry me after 15 years- right down to what the flowers would look like that my wife would be carrying walking down the paved path to the ocean where we exchanged our vows for the second time. I'm telling you that this place is off the charts. I come from the service business and I know what it takes to deliver the WOW... So does the Rockhouse. Period. We stayed in #10 - outstanding. Food from all restaurants - outstanding. The entire staff was accommadating... Be sure to get a tour from Vincent and his private boat!
So why was I apologizing in the beginning? Because it's taken me nearly a year to actaully comment on the experience that we had in this amazing place that we hope to visit again - VERY SOON! Sincerely - Jason & Hollie

Room Tip: Talk to Inise for all your special needs/requirements.... love that girl!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We visited the Rockhouse for a wedding. We were able to spend some time in a friend's hotel room which was nice, but smaller than at the Caves. The room layout was nice, but the bathrooms and showers on the outside was a mosquitoes haven. Also, the food and alcohol were quite expensive. For the money, you can stay at the Caves with more amenities and larger rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed here for two nights in one of the cheaper rooms. Can only imagine how incredible the pricier rooms/villas must be because our room was pretty impressive and had a cosy cottage-like feel to it. The room was equipped with a small fridge, a/c as well as a basket of reasonably priced snacks and items one might forgot to bring along, like an underwater camera or a sarong.
Location: Well located on the cliffs so good for snorkelling and diving and the hotel rents snorkelling gear for just US $5/day so you don't even need to bring your own mask and flippers.
Recreation: The hotel boasts a pool and recreation room with chess and scrabble boards. The pool is at the edge of the cliff and gives a great sunset view so you can avoid the crowds at Ricks and simply watch it from the pool area, and enjoy pool bar Happy Hour at the same time. There's also an in-house spa.
Food: The restaurant at the hotel was pretty good and dinner was reasonably priced. Breakfast was a bit pricier so the second day, we went to Tensing Pen. They do a great (and cheaper) ackee and saltfish.
Safety: Keep your wallets on you! My bf lost his in the rec area and it was eventually returned to him without the cash. Thankfully, the hotel considered the situation and opted to reimburse him, which says a lot about the establishment.
There are cheaper places that are breakfast inclusive in Negril, but considering the location, excellent rooms, restaurant and just general hotel ambience, it's easy to justify spending the extra few dollars to stay at Rockhouse.
Could have gotten 5 stars but for the lack of concern on the part of the front desk staff when we complained about the stolen money. Only when the GM got on the case was action actually taken.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

The "villas" are earthy and perfect. Food was great and the people were wonderful. Perfect for honeymooners and couples. The spa was excellent and the staff generally were friendly, warm and welcoming.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at the Rockhouse Hotel to celebrate the marriage our close friends. The hotel set the stage for a beautiful sunset ocean view ceremony. The hotel thought of everything to accomodate the wedding guests attending as well as the wedding party.

The Rockhouse Hotel is made up of thatched roof huts which have access to the ocean from the front of your hut. Most have large, comfortable canopy beds with mesquito netting to keep bugs out. One of the best parts of the room were the open-air showers with high walls and an open view to the sun, star and heavens. This shower definitely makes you feel like you're in paradise.

Overall, the Rockhouse Hotel is like no other hotel in Jamaica!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Rockhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!