“One of my favorite places in Negril!” 5 of 5 stars

Country Country Beach Cottages
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #18 of 91 hotels in Negril
Algonquin, Illinois
“One of my favorite places in Negril!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband and I planned to come back to Jamaica on our 5 year anniversary (we got married in Negril in 2007). We came with my best friend and her husband, and planned to stay 4 nights on the beach and 4 nights on the cliffs. We made our decisions on where to stay based on the type of people we are. My husband and I are both vegans, so all inclusives are usually not much good for us, and my husband doesn't drink. We always choose smaller, more laid back places to stay, because we are not the type of people that stay in a big-name, 400+ room resort. We like to interact with the local people and really indulge ourselves in the culture when we are there. Country Country seemed like the perfect place for us. Upon checking in, I already felt at home. Monique, the manager, was there and was the sweetest thing. The girl checking us in actually worked at the resort we got married at, and my husband recognized her! So right away, we felt comfortable. The rooms were adorable. Exactly what we had hoped for. You really feel like you are staying in a cottage, and not a "Holiday Inn" type resort. The grounds are immaculately landscaped and the beach is just perfect for relaxing. The spot is on the perfect part of the beach, where the sun shines pretty much all day, and the water is pretty calm. The security is by far the best I have seen. No one will mess with you there! Breakfast every day was delicious. The lady in the kitchen and my husband hit it off from the start, and she made us a special "rasta" breakfast everyday to accommodate our dietary restrictions. Overall, I would say this is the best place I have stayed in when it comes to Negril. If I wanted to come back and stay on the beach in Negril (which I guarantee I will!!!), it will be at Country Country. It by far exceeded my expectations!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

463 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at Country Country in April 2012. It was our first beach vacation with our 15 year old and it was heaven sent. From check in to check out it exceeded our expectations.We wanted to experience the culture and not be limited to an all inclusive resort. We couldn't have made a better choice. The restaurant was 5 star. Sampled all breakfast choices... awesome Had the pleasure of having dinner on 2 occasions. Service and food were top notch. . Thank you to everyone who made us feel like family. To the lovely ladies who blew up my sons air mattress and arranged a meal when he wasn't feeling well... thank you. To the wonderful men and women who keep the rooms and beach so immaculate and to security who keep watch, thank you also. And to the drivers, so helpful. Last but not least, Monique , I am also in the industry, and I can say without a doubt, you are as professional as they come. Thank you, for a life long memory. It couldn't have been more perfect.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Greeley, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

First of all I can't recommend Country Country Enough. The staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating. Monique, the manager, was a delightful and always willing to help us. Jason, security, was very helpful in setting up excursions. Roy, the driver, was one hell of a nice guy. Eulalee, our housekeeper, was a gem.

My wife and I traveled to Country Country November 25-30th for our Honeymoon. We didn't want to deal with all the people at an all inclusive and wanted to stay at a nice small resort where they knew who you are. We got exactly what we wanted. Our cottage was the furthest from the beach, but still only a short walk to the water and restaurant/bar. Our room was very clean and had a fridge, TV, ceiling fan, a/c, and safe During the day we shut off the a/c and opened the windows. We would shut the blinds and turn the a/c off in the evening, and the room stayed very nice. The rooms were not fancy, however they had everything you need and a little more to make the trip enjoyable. My only complaint of Country-Country would be the beds, they are hard.

The beach was kept in immaculate condition. The water was so calm and crystal blue we never wanted to leave the beach area. We ate most of our meals at the restaurant there. The food was outstanding. I received only 1 meal that I thought was alright, as did my wife, but only 2 meals were average out of everything we ate.

Country-Country is perfectly located on 7 mile Beach. Margaritavile is 2 doors down (it's overrated). There are several souvenior stands located close by. One word of warning they will try to sell you anything and everything. If you aren't interested just say no thank-you, and be firm. Best-of-the-West Jerk Stand is a short walk, and It is awesome. Harley-Davidson is just past the jerk stand.

We will definitely be headed back Negril and will be staying at Country-Country

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Country Country from Dec 19-24, 2012. We had booked a premium room (their best) but were given Rm 504 (a superior room). Here is the good and the bad...
The Good
- we arrived shortly after 11AM and our room was ready; check-in was pleasant, quick and easy
- the grounds are beautiful, you feel like you're in the jungle and the cottages are really quite cute
- AC worked very well in our cottage; we kept the shutters closed and had no issues with mosquitos inside
- the beach is fantastic, they do a great job of keeping it clean. There have a lot of chairs available, we especially liked the adirondack chairs at the back of the beach area where it never felt crowded.
- food at the restaurant is very good, our breakfast was included so we had that daily; we also ate dinner there 3 of our 5 nights
-the security people are very good (a special thank you to Jason and the lady at the front gate); the hotel staff (grounds maintenance, housekeepers, front office staff) were all very friendly and pleasant. Our housekeeper, Eulelee (sp?) was fabulous and a lovely lady to chat with.
The Bad
- we found the service at the restaurant/bar to be indifferent at best. As I said, we ate most of our meals there, and still we weren't treated warmly (and yes, I did tip). The service was efficient but far from friendly, which is unusual in Jamaica. The one afternoon we sat at the bar for a drink we felt as though we were an inconvenience... Such a shame because it is a beautiful setting.
- when you keep the shutters closed, the cottages can be quite dark inside
- dinner selection is limited. The menu has only 4 entrees and doesn't always change daily
Conclusions
We enjoyed our stay, we'll probably not return but I would recommend it to others. Although the jungle type setting is very nice, it isn't for anyone who gets a lot of bug bites. It is very quiet, which is great for some, but we like to have a bar that has a little something going on in the evening.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I came here for our honeymoon after purchasing a Groupon for the resort. We came during the low season and I'm very happy we chose this resort. It is located in the center of the famed "Seven Mile Beach". We got the best of both worlds. We had the amenities of an all-inclusive at our fingertips but without the cost or guilt so we could explore more of Negril. Although the resort did not own their own excursions, they have trusted vendors they work with and an easy call to the front desk and they arrange everything and you just pay as you go. It's just that simple. We had a meal plan which included breakfast and dinner so we also felt we could explore local food during the day and not be tied completely down to the resort. Our cottage was a small little home away from home. We even called it that all week. Every staff member did their best to make sure our stay was wonderful and frequently asked how we were doing.

Our only complaint was one night a reggae festival was taking place down the beach and their base was so loud it literally shook our cottage and kept us up. The hotel couldn't control this and it was one night so we didn't mind. Also as it being low season, the hotel was using the time during the day for new construction. Most of the time we were doing activities or lounging on the beach so again we didn't mind at all.

Overall, it was a wonderful value and worth every penny. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: There is only one single cottage on the beach which is 524, there is another two story cottage with...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
winnipeg, canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

travelled nov. 9 to 14, 2012 . . . i bought a goupon deal . . . in the end stayed alone, had a friend come along but she bought her own room and we shared my dinner and a ride to the airport . . . from the moment we stepped into that little office things went downhill . . .i was given the standalone cottage 524, my friend the bottom of the two storey 523 . . . i wanted something closer to the beach and asked to switch, montique told me it was too much work to rejuggle!! throughout our stay there ppl came and went, always empty cottages closer to the beach. how much paperwork would it take to make a customer happy?

as it turned out, the cottage was not too noisy. was worried about road noise . . . the cottage was cute but dated, lumpy pullout futon, i used for it my suitcase, sitting on it would have been painful . . . everything was clean, the two beds pushed together to make a king? what's up with that? was comfortable enough since i was alone . . . good water pressure, enough towels, fan worked well as did the air conditioner . . . there was a fridge with a basket of assorted teas . . . the tv was small and too far from the bed for me to use which was fine as i did not go there for the tv.

the grounds were pretty enough with groundsmen working steady. there is construction on their adjoining lot, building 3 story cottages, a bit of an eyesore. . . . negril treehouse building overlooks the whole property . . .

since i bought the groupon deal we were stuck eating there. the breakfast was ok, lunches were good the dinners, well, out of 5, 3 went the to the beach dogs . . .

the restaurant staff was extremely out of order, rude . . . there was one staff member "africa" (sp?) who detested serving the guests and the other staff seemed to follow her order when she was on staff. when this person was not on, the service was good, with the staff being more attentive, otherwise, she would sit with her back to the restaurant and since it was a small place, we could hear their conversations. there were two tables seated, one waitress pulled menus and africa would say "me not serving them", with the other waitress serving both tables!!

we had a guest for lunch and decided to stay on property. we ordered our food and it sat at the order up little window. it sat and sat with the cook trying to get the attention of serving staff until i went up and brought our orders to the table. then, and only then, did the staff move, saying "you can't do that, we can get in trouble for that"!! during lunch, we wanted another order of french fries . . . the same staff member charged us $10u.s. for a plate of fries!!! just plain out of order ladies.

no management present at this restaurant . . . the cooks would play one station, while the restaurant would have another station competing . . . two different music playing in that small space . . . not very relaxing or pleasant. i did see the tall, light skinned gentleman only once in my 5 days there at the restaurant and he did shut off the cooks music that time. but, no other management made their presence known during my 5 days. maybe if they were present, our stay would have been more enjoyable.

the dinners - one meal was great with snapper done to perfection, the rest was caked in bbq sauces and hot sauce, even the "filet" which was all cut up in pieces!! great mashed potatoes, with terrible desserts and nothing to write about salad or appetizer. overall, really poor quality for the price point of $18 to $20 u.s. were were never offered an after dinner drink or coffee. seemed like we were expected to eat and run, which we were happy to do as the atmosphere was pretty chilli.

constant cigarette smoking all around us, before, during and after any meal. really annoying.

the beach was nice with a lot of loungers available. during our stay, there was a very offending, foul sewage smell as you hit the water. that never left during our stay.

internet service only available at the building close to the road, seemed to be a storage area in the back with a large room with comfy seats and very cold ice water that staff accessed. we did also!!!

was very happy to leave this property. no, i would not recommend this property to any of my contacts, too many negaive experiences for this price point.

Room Tip: ask for a cottage closer to the beach
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My first stay here was in Feb/12. Loved it so much, I immediately tried to figure out how I could return. A couple of months later, a Groupon deal came out - must've been fate!!! I bought the deal immediately and planned my return for the last week of Nov. With the Groupon, it was a fantastic value.

It was great to see familiar, friendly faces welcoming me back! Jason is wonderful and has become a friend. Thanks for setting up the incredible massage with Monica! Wayne, Omar, Super, and the lovely ladies at the restaurant (& Andre!). Eardley gave us a ride back to the airport, another great guy.

The included dinners were fabulous, although the desserts could be stepped up some.

In Feb., we were fortunate to be given 514, this time we were also fortunate to be given 513, right below. The best views of the beach and sea. Steps from our loungers and the sea (not to mention, the restaurant).

I really like this part of the beach. It's lovely and a great size for the amount of guests.

Would return in a heartbeat. Country Country will always hold a special place in my heart and soul. Love the homey, safe feeling and the people. :) it's my "happy place"!

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Country Country Beach Cottages? Share your experiences!