“Best vacation yet!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Michigan
“Best vacation yet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

We spent 2 glorious weeks at White Sands in Nov. This was a much needed get away following the unexpected death of our dsughter the month before. White Sands is our fav place to stay in Negril and have gone there every year since we discovered it. It's like staying with good friends.

The staff are wonderful and so helpful and friendly. Francis, rhe manager on site goes out of his way to make the guests feel welcome. Our rooms are always clean and the beach is so perfect. It's not a huge 5 star resort, but we've been there/done that, and we prefer this place. Small and comfortable.

Our room this year was one of the remodeled 1 bedroom apartments on the beach side- what a treat. We have stayed on the garden side and in the villa before and they were great too. I can't say enough about this place and look forward to our 2 weeks next year- which we've already booked.

I find it interesting to read the negative reviews Of some guests, and wonder exactly what those folks were expecting- they sure don't make itbsound like the same place we stay.

Thank you White Sands staff for making this a wonderful and healing vacation.

• Stayed November 2011
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Thank you so very much for allowing us to host you again. I hope the warm waters of Caribbean ocean allowed you to relax and reflect back on the joy your daughter brought to your lives. It is truly an honor and a blessing that you chose White Sands for your vacation.

Yes, Francis does go out of his way for all our guests, and that is why he is the favorite adopted ‘son’ of so many travelers from around the world. Glad you booked early again for next year! Better to get set in advance before someone steals your favorite room !

Don’t worry about the negative reviews. It is a part of this industry. There is not a hotel in the world that has not had negative comments posted about them. We have learned that some people travel with high expectations, pay budget rates, and expect the world. White Sands is a simple, clean, affordable, relaxing resort located on one of the best beaches in the world. I am glad you appreciate your time here because we certainly appreciate hosting you. I hope you feel the love of your daughter every time you visit us and that a little of that love stays with us so we can pass it along to someone else who needs the warmth.
Cheers, White Sands Negril

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Polish first
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

This vacation was wonderful. Everyday was fun in the sun and on the beach at White Sands. The White Sands staff made us feel like family the minute we stepped off the Rocky's Tours bus that picked up at the Mobay Airport. All though this is the low season, things were bustling at White Sands. There was a sunset beach wedding and the staff made all the decorations from all the native flowers that are on the hotel's property. The was also a 40th birthday party that the staff helped plan . Both events were beautiful and a lot of fun. White Sands is renovating and making the property more appealing and comfortable for it's visitors. We met some wonderful new people on this trip and how to see them again next year. There are a number eating places near by, we find that we ate at Best of West 2 or 3 times while were there. They are known for their jerk chicken but you should try their steamed fish also, it all was delicious. For a more formal setting try Marley's by the Sea, the food there was very good. White Sands has a grill that serves breakfast and lunch, we find that we don't eat as often when we are in Jamaica as we do when we are at home. But finding food was not an issue - once again the office staff helped us find places that delivered or had good food. I have read the reviews that complained about the security and being watched but they are not obtrusive and only concerned with you enjoying your vacation. And the reviews about not having a TV in their room but who goes on vacation to watch television? but you'll find that is part of the renovations that are being done. So if you are looking for an atmosphere that feels like home, I would love to suggest White Sands. We have tried the big resorts and some of the more well known small resorts and have found that we like White Sands the best.

Room Tip: read all the reviews and realize unless you plan on staying at the large resorts, your accommodation...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, November 20, 2011
Thank you for your kind and honest review. Thank you for recognizing the renovation work that we recently completed and that we are always striving to improve our product. A sunset wedding on the beach is a very memorable event whether you are in the wedding, or just watching with a cocktail in your hand. Or many cocktails !! I wish I had a dollar for every jerk chicken meal our guests have eaten at Best in the West. They do it right and it is a cool hang out spot that is very rustic and very Jamaican. I am glad we made you feel at home. It is our home and our business, and we love sharing it with clients such as yourself. We keep it simple affordable and we hope to share our beach with you again soon. Cheers, White Sands Negril
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Stayed here back in march, I'd booked for 6nights but moved on after 4. Simply because at times i felt like I was back home with my parents. I appreciate they are simply looking after their clients but for well travelled folks I'd can't recommend it, especially if u like to feel free to come & go without being....judged/watched...maybe not the right words but u get the picture.
The bar across the road is fine, bar men v attentive. the security/set up is such that I felt I could've been anywhere in the world with a beautiful beach as there were no locals stopping by, just tourists so after a couple of hours on day 1 I never did go back.
If I was on a couples hol maybe I'd appreciate all the above...
The actual room was nice, it was huge actually!! & the cleaner did a great job & she was a very sweet woman. As was the guy @ the gates, v laid back & pleasant.

So to sum up, nice location & big rooms tho basic. Just wouldn't say it's suited to solos looking for an authentic adventure.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
I can honestly say that I have no idea what you are referring to in your post regarding the reference to being back home with your parents or that you did not feel you could come and go as you please. These comments perplex me. If you did not like that we treat our clients like family, then I suppose we were definitely not the right place for you. Maybe you are being cryptic and I do not understand your subtleties.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. After serving guests for over 40 years, the one comment we get the most is that we offer an authentic Jamaican vacation. People genuinely feel they get to meet local Jamaicans both on staff and in the community. Not to mention that the hotel is owned and managed by Jamaicans. In addition we have literally thousands of solo travelers stay with us each year. So to say we are not a good place for solo travelers could not be farther from the truth. I am glad you liked your room and our staff. Kindest regards, White Sands Negril
Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

My girlfriend and I jus got back from White Sands Negril. Travelled from Oct 6 - 11th.

We arranged travel from the airport with Paradise Vacations (listed/arranged through White Sands). This was a great way to travel from Montego Bay to Negril. They were professional and made the trip more like a mini tour as they pointed historical & local things along the way. Just off the plane I asked the driver to take somewhre local for a quick bite to eat. He brought us to Palmbay Hotel/cafe. Food (jerk chicken) was THE BEST....thanks to the bartender Pansy!
Arriving at White Sands, check in was fairly easy. We also arrived before the "tourist season". We booked a room on the ocean side which was about 30 steps from the beach. The room was clean and suited our purposes, but most would consider the room outdated. NO TV, but I knew that at the time of booking. In their defense they were also in the process of renovating the rooms beginning with the building next to ours. The beach is GORGEOUS, and it's in a good location. North of their beach are the HUGE all inclusive hotels and south are the SMALLER hotels, but along the entire beach are locals trying to sell you stuff.
The kitchen at White Sands only served breakfast and lunch. For breakfast I recommend the Ackee & Saltfish....the food was good, but carried average tourist prices. Our cook/waitress was very nice and pleasant, but this was the only meal we ate there. We loved going to try food ate various local places. Loved the Jamaican Patties at Tasties in town, but go to Sav-la-more for a hand made one....and you'll fall in love!
The best food we had was served across the street at a Jerk Chicken shack/bar call "Best in the West". Food was just perfect and the drinks were the best! Many thanks to Al and Eddie that worked there.....we ate and drank there daily!!! The bar at White Sands was ok, but it didn't seem to have the welcoming vibe that we recieved from the other places in Negril, which is why we only went to the bar there once or twice.
Overall it is a decent place to stay, but there are so many other places on the beach in Negril.....we'll definitely stay elsewhere next time. We will try the Palms which is a few building up the beach. As we were walking along the beach I asked if my lady could use a restroom, and they were more than welcome to help. Then we checked out the rooms and they were simple, but updated and nice!!!
Lastly, we arrived knowing that everyone wants a tip for any help they can give. Although at the White Sands, they all tried to push you to use their local driver. He was not personable AT ALL. Instead we got driver's from the Best in the West jerk stand. If you can, ask for Tyrone....he's the BEST!!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
I am glad your vacation started out well. We contract exclusively with Paradise Vacations to provide our airport transfers and they do a fantastic job. Thank you for your understanding during our brief renovation period. We renovate some portion of our property every year. This year we put a new roof on the building that is closest to the beach and we made modifications to our Standard Room beach side block.
Yes, we are blessed with a gorgeous beach. It is one of the nicest in the Caribbean and it is what keeps people from all over the world coming back every year. Glad you ate at our beach grill and also sample the food at other establishments on the beach. That is the beauty of staying at an EP hotel and not an all-inclusive where you are forced to eat hotel food every day. Best in the West Jerk stand is an institution in Negril and he has been cooking up great jerk for decades.
I am surprised to read your comments about our bartenders. If you read other posts, our bartenders Tony and Paul are very popular and serve the best cocktails in Negril.
You seemed to really enjoy your stay and we hope you will able to travel to Negril every year. It is a very special place.
Regards, White Sands Negril
Montclair, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

ME AND THREE FRIENDS WENT DOWN WE HAVE BEEN TO JA MANY MANY TIMES AND STAYED AT SOME OF THE HIGH IN HOTELS AND SOME OF THE LOW IN I HAVE A HOME IN ST THOMAS, BUT WE WERE GOING TO BE IN NIGRIL FOR 5 DAYS WHEN WE LOOKED AT PICS OF THIS PLACEWE WERE IMPRESSED BY THE PICS, when we got to the hotelwe were not impressed at all the beds were the worst they almost on the floor the linins were not clean or they didnt look clean, we never left our rooms for to long thinking that someone whould go in,the door look like they had been pryed open. dont get me wrong if i had seen this place and known this was what iwas getting then thats differrantbut the pics r of a diff hotel so good luck if booking this hotel

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Your review.

White Sands Negril
cali
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

we booked this hotel with expedia,who i have used many many times before and have been very happy, this time we chcked out many differant sites for pics and got the same results it looked like a very nice and clean place.not the beds r almost on the floor the bed linins were nasty looking we never laid under the covers the house keeper was very nice helpful we were on the beach side never felt safe people walked through off the beach all night.i dont now what hotel the pics r from but it not the white sands we ended up getting another hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
The photos we post on our hotel website are accurate. After I read your email I looked at the Expedia site and found out that Expedia is not posting the correct pictures. It is something I will need to discuss with Expedia right away to get resolved. If you had booked direclty with us using our on-line booking engine, you would have seen the correct pictures. Unfortunatley that is always a risk when you book through a third party site. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. With respect to linens, our linen policy is that we launder sheets every 2 days and we launder towels every day, or whenver the clients leave the towels on the floor. It is a standard policy in the industry. Like most hotels, we have nightly security staff. I regret you may not have felt safe, but rest assured you were. I hope you enjoyed the remainder of your vacation. I would like to earn your business and would gladly provide you with a complimentary upgrade on a future return visit. Kindest regards, White Sands Negril
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We rollled into this place early in the evening after driving in from Kingston (5hours). We were pretty tired and just wanted to settle in. Found the office across the street from the beach, told the guy it's my boyfriend & I, in Negril for the last 3 days of our trip to Jamaica, we wanted a nice room & enjoy. Told him our budget and he got the vibez. He hooked us up on the beachfront room on the 2nd floor. This room overlooks the ocean, is spacious, very private with 2 queen size foam beds.

It was all good til we had sex on the bed. A bit painful if you know what I mean. Still we made the best of it, hey it's Jamaica we are not complaining we are just saying what it is.

The hotel overall was ok, nothing special to write home about, but that beach front room would something special if it was renovated & updated. Did I mention it was pretty big and spacious, bathroom was ok. Had hot water. There was a fridge in the room, so we bought some drinks at the store across the street.

We spent our last 3 days in Jamaica doing things on the beach & just chilling out. 1 day we had a lobster breakfast from 1 of the vendors passing by. We jetskiid for an hour. We walked the beach alot. We did not eat at the hotels restaurant, we went out mostly. But we often lounged & drank beach side.

We bought a bunch of Magnums (Jamaican sweet very potent red wine) which we brought down from our room. My boyfriend got me hooked on this mix of Magnum on ice with Guinness beer, so we were drinking it most of the day and chilling by the beach. Having a lovely time of course my boyfriend was sending me up to the bar to get the ice & the stout. Most times sitting in the heat our ice would melt before we finished the drink, sometimes we got sand in our plastic cups, so I was sent up to the bar for fresh ones, where I was told by the bartender (even though I previously tipped him well, even if it was for just ice) that we cant have anymore plastic cups. Since I had a couple of drinks already a big argument broke out because I was pissed off that I couldnt have a clean plastic cup. Eventually the bartender gave in and gave me a clean plastic cup with ice.

Ok place to stay if you dont mind foam beds, I dont know if they have them in all the rooms but thats what we had in our beachfront room.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
I am glad you thought your room was spacious and private. Please note that we do not have any rooms with foam mattresses. Your bed had a foam mattress pad on top of our regular mattress. Maybe I am a bit old fashion, but the details you share in your post are very private and what I would describe as TMI. Maybe with the onslaught of reality shows and people living out their lives on Facebook this is now the norm. Anyway, glad you were able to spend time with your boyfriend and I hope we can host you again. Regards, White Sands Negril

Been to White Sands Negril? Share your experiences!