“Want to actually enjoy turning 50?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Lido Negril

You added Grand Lido Negril to your Saves list
Grand Lido Negril
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Grand Resort & Spa Negril All Inclusive)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #42 of 90 Hotels in Negril
LA, CA
“Want to actually enjoy turning 50?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

We have been to several Superclubs resorts and specifically to GLN several times (with follow up reports from most of the trips available here). We have had some pretty great times at the properties, but showing up with 14 of my wife’s and my closest friends for my 50th birthday was clearly the best thing we have ever done on a beach vacation.

GLN (which, just so you know, will soon be known as Breezes Plus or something to that effect, though the upgraded service will not be changing at all) was firing on all cylinders with great service, awesome food and plentiful drinks. Part of the magic of this property is that it is able to perfectly mesh four star service with Jamaican laissez faire resulting in a vacation that keeps one extremely relaxed but never neglected. Our friends were awestruck by the entire experience. Like our first visit (and most of the others) the only problem they confronted was the fact that they would ultimately have to leave.

We’re pretty sure we didn’t request it, but most of the party was placed on the nude side and, as it turned out, no problems, mon; everyone remained within their comfort zones, which in many cases were pretty broad. Beswick at the front desk was great and remained engaged in getting us situated until everyone was in the right place for them.

We did end up taking most of the group on a field trip across the street to Hedo and that was also perfect. There was enough frisky partying at the piano lounge, etc. to give them all some memorable thrills. It is amazing how the atmosphere at the Superclubs loosens up even the most unlikely people!

I could not have had a better birthday – well maybe if the number was a lot lower! – and our guests could not have been better treated. The resort even accommodated our entire party of 16 for a birthday dinner at Piacere, the resort's French restaurant (though I would like to sincerely apologize to any of the other guests who may have had their reservation at the same time. We were a little too rowdy due in equal parts to our own extroverted personality types and the mysterious never-empty glasses of the resort’s better than serviceable champagne. Sorry.) The weather remained overcast for much of the time, but those of us who have spent some time in the direct Jamaican sunshine were grateful to have it.

I have addressed this in reviews before, but I think I should mention again that ganja (marijuana) is illegal in Jamaica, but it is VERY available and your hotel knows it. The GLN is no exception and makes pipes, rolling papers and grinders available in the gift shop – that may not be an endorsement, but it is certainly a clear acknowledgment. From what I am told (um… yuh), a bag you can’t possibly finish in a week should cost about $50.00 US. The very friendly local vendors (which include about 80% of the males you will meet anywhere you go) will try to get much more than that if they can.

This trip also marked our first off-property excursion. A group of us took the Chukka Tours combination kayak/zip line package. For a cost of $100.00 pp, we were entertained for the better part of a day. Traveling to the inner-island location, which required a van ride back to Montego Bay and then up into the hills for a bit, was a ride at one hour plus, but once we arrived, some real fun ensued. The three man crew that took us up the river, up into the canopy, across the zip lines and back to the river for another nice long paddle, was just perfect. They set a great party atmosphere; singing songs, starting water fights and generally messing around for everyone’s benefit. But, when it was time to hook us up to our harnesses and “zip” us out a couple of hundred feet above a river-bottomed gorge, they were all business. The seamless interweaving of cautious supervision and laugh-out-loud hijinks made for a perfectly safe, adventurous day. The jerk chicken we were served before boarding our van to leave was a much needed surprise – you can burn some calories between all that paddling and the fear!

I have been back for two days now and I am still having a hell of a time re-setting my body’s leisure clock. Thank God it’s Friday, because I still have some lay around on a lounge chair sipping some Red Stripes I need to get out of my system! And, yes, my wife is making her famous jerk chicken to go with them.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (721)
Saratoga Springs, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

Stayed at Grand Lido Negril from June 4th to 8th and had an outstanding time. Staff was excellent, especially Sherrice and Derric at the C/O bar and grill. Fun and friendly. Words dont say it all. Plus the lamb chops as stated many times are 1 of the best foods off of a grill I have ever eaten. Ate at the grill so much we missed dinner 1 night.
The attention at all the restaurants was very good along with the food. The room was very nice on the C/O side. To walk 20 feet out of your room to the beach or bar is a dream.
Even did the mani pedi with the wife. It was fun.
Met some nice people also, like Jimmy and his wife.
Would do this again in a heartbeat.
Hopefully Beaches wont change (lose) to much.

Freelton Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

My husband and I just returned from GLN, and we were pleasantly surprised by our visit there. This was our first trip to Jamaica (we were rerouted from Mexico) and what started out for us as being a big unknown, turned out to be fabulous.
The staff were very nice and very helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Hats off to John Pringle, John Mcintosh, Alton, Del, Tracey and the entire entertainment group. You all did a fabulous job keeping everyone entertained. The two John's were visible on numuerous occasions the check on the progress of the holiday.
The food was very good. If you could not find any thing to satisfy your taste then you were too fussy. We particularly enjoyed the Lido Cafe. Always plenty of choice at the buffet and the food never ran out.
The main beach was excellent. The water was great. You could walk out the the ropes and the water only came to your waist. Nice sandy bottom to walk on too.
The clothing optional beach was a bit different. It was quite rocky and rough under your feet. Most people were on the floaty beds, so the rocks were not a problem for them.
The rooms were quite nice. The only thing that could have been better for us, was the shower. It was inside a Jacuzzi tub, which you had to hold on to bars to get in and out of.
It was awkward for to us to navigate. It took us a few days to figure out the air conditioning. It had a remote control that was not very intuitive. However, these small things did not stop us from having a wonderful holiday.
I would certainly go back to this resort. We me some wonderful people from all over the world and already we have been emailing each other.
Well done Grand Lido Negril. Hope to see you again in the future.
Elizabeth and Gordon Craig, Canada

houston texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

i have been to many resorts
this is by far the best so far
the service the hospitality, the rooms, the staff
it was an awesome experience and i will return in a heart beat
good job Andre and staff
M/ Salame
Houston Texas

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

Our trip to Grand lido negril was extraordinary indeed! its obvious, take a look at our pictures (the proof is in the pudding!) My partner and I have travelled the world and been to some of the most luxorious hotels. Based on the reveiws we wasn't expecting the world however neither of us had been to the Jamacia before. Our trip was only booked for 7 Nights as i had work commitments and the purpous of our trip was to get Married!

Rooms: We stayed in the Prime Ministers Suite (Penthouse) it was luxurious with a jakuzzi in the bathroom and hot tub on the patio outside. we literally threw a stone and it hit the beach. The furnishing used wasnt morden, apart from the two plasma tvs but instead very elegant and classic. The penhouse suite has tons of room and to be honest if your staying in this hotel dont settle for anything less as its worth it all the way.

Food: Was amazing esspeciallly if you love sea food, they have five resturants on site. Carribean, French, Japaneese(sushi), Italian and Continental. The breakfast buffets were scrumptious, very filling and we had our own tailormade smoothie every morning. 24hour in room dining i must admit we wasted so many bottels of champagne as its all included. The best part was there was no need for tip giving as it was all included!

Excursions: We definatly had an action pack week, we went horse riding in the sea which was the funniest experience so far! 2 hours away from the hotel was Duns river falls and Dophin cove where you spend the day swimming kissing and cuddelling the dolphins followed but an extreamly exciting tour up the great waterfall.

Wedding:

I can only say one word about getting married at this hotel and that is it is BREATHTAKING. Tannif our wedding co ordinator is the most wonderful person on this earth and she will bend over backwards for you to make sure your wedding day is perfect. Also our wedding was the first sunrise wedding in the whole of negril but yet the staff were happy to get up at 4:30 am to help prepare for our special day.
I was so worried about getting married abroad but i shouldnt have been because i couldnt fault ANYTHING the whole day, it was like a fairytale and i would recommend to anyone getting married to get married here you will not be disappointed.

The staff there end up like your family on a special day like this, anytime you pass them they are there trying to help asking are you ok, need anything and they mean it not just because it i there job, also for pictures Adrian the most comfortable person to take pictures for and as you can see very good at it too and Bernice, Yivette made huge contributions and i cant help but to mention them they helped so much we always tried to tip them but they always refused!

I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone and i cant wait to go again as we have promised to go there every year for our annversery.

I have never written a review before but i just wanted people to no who may be going to this hotel or are thinking of going to this hotel and have never been before they do not need to worry about any negative reviews you read, this hotel is brilliant and i am sure you will have an amazing holiday like myself and all my family did.

Any questions do not hesitate to contact me

Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

I'll keep this simple as I've already wasted a week of my vacation :

3 hours by the time we got into our room with luggage, and this was at 11:30pm !

Terrible service .. no smiles .. ignorance . Staff act like there annoyed by you when asking nicely for service ..

Bars useless ... no drink menus .. no suggestions .. always ran out of beer which was warm most of the time ..

Very old and outdated rooms.. A/C did not work properly and was very noisy .. I had a better sleep on the flight back ...

Grounds were nice but very baren in many areas.. I heard that a Hurricane a couple years back revaged this resort and was never restored properly.(cheaped out).

Could not get a late check-out at all. Had to sit on the beach the last day for 6 hours with our carry-ons.

I recommend that this resort be shut-down or purchased by a company that knows how to run a resort.

Thank You.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

My expectations where not the highest to begin with, but given that this resort was rated 4 stars by AAA, I was willing to give it a try.
The front "lobby" was the best and cleanest looking part of the resort.
In our room I killed: ants, roaches and small crabs.
I had to pay 15 dollars a day to access the Internet, which I was only able to get in the lobby, I could not get it in my room or anywhere else.
Although many times the service was slow, it was the one bright spot of the resort. The staff was friendly and helpful.
This vacation was not worth the money that I paid to go there.
I have had much better vacations and have paid less for them.
I would not recommend this resort to friends.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Lido Negril? Share your experiences!