“Survived Ivan very well” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Lido Negril

You added Grand Lido Negril to your Saves list
Grand Lido Negril
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Grand Resort & Spa Negril All Inclusive)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #40 of 90 Hotels in Negril
A TripAdvisor Member
“Survived Ivan very well”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2004

We just returned from an 8 day stay at Grand Lido Negril (Oct. 23-31, 2004). We had been there before, so we were apprehensive about the hurricane damage that had kept it closed for almost 6 weeks.
As soon as we entered the beautiful lobby, we knew they had done a great job at recovery. It was pristine. The grounds suffered from some loss of trees and flowers, but they were manicured and in great shape. Our room was on the C/O (Clothing Optional) side. The room had no signs (or smells) of water damage.
We ate at every restaurant except the Jamaican one, and the food was consistently very good.
We mostly hung out on the C/O beach (I like nude, my wife doesn't). About half the people wore suits, half were nude. The beach looked just like we remembered. We learned that they had to haul in sand to restore the beach, but it wasn't obvious.
The staff was even more friendly than we thought. We talked to many of them about their personal losses from Hurricane Ivan. They spoke freely, and most had either personal or close-by damage. They had been out of work, and were obviously happy to be back. Service was truly exceptional. One thing that I noticed was that they were more receptive to tips. We had taken $100 in five dollar bills, and managed to dispose of most of them, although I sometimes had to be insistent.
Grand Lido is back, and in great style. We made many friends with other visitors, and knew 40-50 other guests by name before we left.
Super trip. Super relaxation. We had a truly wonderful time. We'll surely return as often as we can.
Feel free to e-mail us questions.
Marty and Kathy LaBrecque

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2004

We stayed at Grand Lido for 8 days for our Honeymoon in September 2003. It was a fabulously relaxing vacation.

We found our rooms to be lovely and comfortable, and enjoyed the jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. I think our room was a Jr Suite - it had a small balcony overlooking the beach, and a small sofa in the room.
The food at the Grand Lido was good enough, but nothing to recall wistfully - except the room service lamb chops! I read about the chops in reviews before going, and they were good! We especially enjoyed the bottled "picapeppa" sauce on the chops - yum!
We often ordered this snack from room service in the afternoon as we relaxed and got ready for the evening's activities. It rained for a few hours most afternoons during our stay, which was not a problem, as it provided a break from the sun. We hung out in our room, or played ping pong or Monopoly in the lobby area.
Another thing we enjoyed about the resort was the free-flowing alcohol! Bring on the mango daiquiris! Room service would also bring whatever you wanted - a few beers, a mixed drink, or a bottle of wine! Very nice! If you wanted champagne in the room (sparkling wine, rather), you could ask for a bottle at one of the bars and take it with you - no problem! It sometimes took a while to get service but everyone was friendly and we were on vacation - what's the hurry?
The beach and pool were great - one problem was the ubiquitous jellyfish which could get you pretty bad! My husband got attacked rather badly on his arms and torso within the first hour of our arrival. A few Red Stripes later, he had forgotten all about it. We got stung at least a little here and there everyday, but for the most part it wasn't a huge deal. Beware at the nude beach however, as we did witness some shrieking unfortunates stung on their private parts.
There were plenty of activities to tire you out during the day. We took snorkeling trips (not as good as Belize, but hey), glass bottom boat rides, a catamaran trip, went kayaking, tennis, went golfing, and the best - the sunset cruise! We did this trip twice and it was a blast. The sunset and views were gorgeous - and again, the drinks free-flowing. We also had a couples massage on the beach which was great.
I should mention that we went to Jamaica in hurricane season but had no problems, luckily. The resort was probably half full, which allowed us to have the beach and pool to ourselves many times. We felt very fortunate. However, a year later, Jamaica has been hit by several hurricanes the same exact time as we were there last year.
I think what makes an all-inclusive so perfect for a honeymoon is that you do not have to think. After all the wedding planning and decisions, a break from thinking is just what is needed! I was concerned that we would get bored and feel trapped, but it was just the mindless idyll we needed.

We had a wonderful time at the Grand Lido Negril! A fabulous place for a relaxing vacation!

• Stayed September 2003
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2004

My husband and I married and honeymooned here and we both felt SO at peace and found this area to be as close to paradise as you can imagine. Everyone was so friendly and yes, we even loved the cats. : ) One employee, a groundskeeper was exceptional. Please if anyone is going here look up Garnet Jones and tell him Duane & Laura miss him and love him!!! You'll love him too, a heart of gold and a smile to match and I'm not kidding. He cut us down a coconut and told us the milk inside was good for "pum pum". : ) I cannot wait to go again someday, it was perfect.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2004

I stayed at the Grand Lido August 28 for four days. It is a beautiful resort and it is very clean. I requested twin beds and it was not a problem.
The food is non-stop and good. I loved the room service so I had breakfest in my room with the ocean view. I talked to people who have been to this resort five times; and I shall return. Great place. Also if you want to party go to Ricks Place at sunset.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2004

My wife and I recently visited the Grand Lido Negril for 1 week of our honeymoon. We are in our mid-twenties, and very forgiving hotel guests. We reserved a beachfront jacuzzi suite, and after months of research and anticipation, we were excited to finally arrive. Here is a brief rundown that will hopefully help anyone else planning on staying at the GLN.

The Good:
1) Great beaches, nude side and topless side. Warm water and never too crowded.
2) Predominantly friendly staff, eager to help and advise. They were knowledgeable and definitely left a positive impression! (But beware the front desk!)
3) Wide variety of dinner options. (Just dinner, more on this later)

The Bad:
1) All rooms soaked and humid, all day. Books left on the nightstand completely ruined, sticky feel to everything, only alleviated by using the air conditioning . The only problem is they intentionally shut off the power to the resort for a second or two several times a day. This resets the AC machines, turning them off. Thus if you are sleeping or out of your room, when you return / wake up, the whole room is a swamp.
2) Of the 7 restaurants, most only open at 3:00pm. Thus, breakfast and lunch are only available in the main open-air buffet. The buffet is notoriously hit or miss, offering wildly different fare every day, and this gets old very fast. Room service is available 24/7, but is borderline inedible. After several tries, and more than one brush with food poisoning, we decided to stop gambling with our lives. The "La Pasta" Italian restaurant was the only truly spectacular dining. It lacked the opulence of many of the other restaurants (French, Japanese, etc...), but was consistantly excellent in terms of food selection and service.
3) Hotel accommodations will likely NOT be what you expect. You'd think the language barrier wouldn't be a problem, as everyone speaks English, but that's not always the case. For example, at the Grand Lido Negril, "jacuzzi" means "shower," and "beachfront" can mean "200 feet from the beach, behind a wall of palm trees." When we first arrived and were shown to our room, (booked as a "Jr. Beachfront Jacuzzi Suite") we were shown to a room with an flat floored shower, no tub, nothing even resembling a jacuzzi. To cut a long story short, after hours of hassle with the front desk, and several moves into different rooms, we settled on a room with a shower. Which, when/if you see what they call a "jacuzzi," you will too. To be fair, upon closer inspection, it's an awesome shower, with jets all over the walls, a little seat, and lots of room.

Conclusion:
Great location, but despite the best efforts of the staff, the service level just can't come close to comperable accomodations in the United States. Not at all worth the price, or the headache. If you've read other reviews on this site, you've probably read that there is NO WAY you will ever get Superclubs to honor their reimbursement policies for clouds/bad weather. I was there during a hurricane for goodness sake. We were moved twice, relocated to the wrong side of the beach, which also happened to be a 10 minute walk from any of the dining areas.

Bottom Line - My wife and I had a good time, but that was in spite of the Superclubs experience, not because of it. If you are looking for a great Jamaican vacation, go with one of the Sandals resorts, or better yet, Maui. ;)

• Stayed January 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2004

My wife and I honeymooned at SuperClubs Grand Lido Negril for 7 nights 8 days in May 2000 and are looking forward to returing in the future. This is a stunning property with a beautiful private beach and tranquil clear-blue water. The property offers a nude beach for those interested in sun bathing and a return to nature. As a tennnis player, I enjoyed playing with the pro flown in from Miami. My wife indulged in the spa treatment and we both loved the full body massage overlooking the Caribbean Sea. I highly recommned it. Every night guests have the chance to take a champagne cruise on Princess Grace's honeymoon yacht. I have frequented four other quality resorts in Mexico, Bahamas, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. While the others were nice, they pale in comparison to Grand Lido Negril. This is a five-star property all the way. In fact, don't be surprised to run into a celebrity or two during your stay. The only potential drawback is that this is an extremely tropical resort with temperatures climbing around the 100 degree mark in mid-day. Bring plenty of sunscreen, drink plenty of water, and prepare for one of the best vacation experiences of your life.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2004

My husband and I stayed at this resort in August and will DEFINATELY go back next year! We stayed on the clothing-optional side of the resort and found it to be the ultimate in carefree relaxation. We fell asleep each evening to the sound of ocean waves, and woke up each morning to the sound of tropical birds. Our room (standard) was plush; we will stay in a standard room again. 24 hour room service was prompt and always well-prepared. Grand Terrazza open-air dining and the French restaurant were fabulous. For those looking to "loosen up" in the Caribbean, the Thursday night Pajama Party is not to be missed!

Been to Grand Lido Negril? Share your experiences!