“Not good” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Lido Negril

You added Grand Lido Negril to your Saves list
Grand Lido Negril
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Grand Resort & Spa Negril All Inclusive)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #40 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Seaford, New York
“Not good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

As a travel agent, I have higher expectations than most people might. But this resort is in dire need of a complete renovation. The rooms are outdated and moldy, the paint is chipped, the rooms dark, the bathtubs are unsafe. Our AC barely worked, our toilet was broken. Our "beachfront" room was not beachfront, when you stepped out you were on grass and then a bluff. It was oceanview at best. The food isn't bad, even though the restaurants are also outdated. This entire hotel is just old, dingy, and just plain gross. I would not go back. The location is good, the beach is nice, but that was really the best thing about the resort. Just do your research before booking.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
enrico p, General Manager at Grand Lido Negril, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Jessica D,

We always try our very best to ensure that our guests are satisfied, we are very sorry that this was not the case. Kindly accept my sincere apologies for all the inconveniences experienced. There are plans in place to have the rooms and facilities renovated in a short while.

Our team will ensure that until the upgrades are done, we will work to fix all the inadequacies mentioned as best as we can to ensure guest satisfaction. We do hope that you will revisit and give us a chance to extend our warm hospitality.

Enrico Pezzoli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
phoenix az
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We just spent several days at the Grand Lido for an Island Gigs event, and I did not know what to expect as we have never been to Jamaica before. I was disappointed with some of the services. First - the ROOM - it was 'nice', could use some upgrades. The balcony was TINY and we could barely get the doors open to get out there. The shower had NO pressure, I could barely wash my hair in there and it was NEVER hot. This is a big pet peeve of mine with hotels. The bed was very comfortable and I did sleep great. The fridge was stocked when we first arrived, but by the 3rd and 4th nights, they did not replenish the Red Stripe in the room. WHY?
Second - the SERVICE - why are there no maps of the resort available? When I asked the front desk for a map, they were quite rude and said they didn't have one because some of the restaurants had changed? Makes no sense. It didn't matter if some of the restaurants had changed anyway, because there are NO SIGNS on any of the restaurants so you just have to figure out what's what or ask another guest! There was ONE chef who I happened to see on the grounds and he was very very helpful as far as the restaurant locations go. He even said he could get me into Koi without a reservation as they were not busy that night. The bartenders at the buffet area were very good and friendly. There was one woman in particular who I found very rude, during the drum clinic, she was sitting there folding napkins and rolling her eyes like the guests were so stupid to be attending this clinic. She would snicker under her breath and roll her eyes when someone asked a question of the drummer. I saw people with beach towels and asked one of the room attendants where I could get one - she just said "the beach"...uh, ok.. but WHERE ?! I did find them on my own but geesh, alittle helpful info would be nice.
Third - the FOOD - I found the food to be mediocre at best. Not great at all. The very best was the pancake / waffle area at breakfast. The lady making the pancakes, etc., was friendly, smiling, and very helpful. She deserves a raise! We ate one dinner at the Italian restaurant. The chicken alfredo was delicious, but the lasagna was eh. The bruschetta appetizer was good. There was never a time during the stay where I thought - I HAVE to get more of something. Maybe that's a good thing?
Fourth - the POOL/BEACH areas - there are 2 hot tubs (that I saw anyway, sans a map) on the property. Neither of them were ever HOT..they were barely lukewarm. It would have been nice to have them hot, as the weather was not great the entire time I was there. The pool is small (not much bigger than my own backyard pool), and could use some upgrading for sure.
I must say the bartenders down on the beach during the concerts were very friendly and seemed to be enjoying the crowd, so that was nice.
All in all I would go again, but some customer service and upgrades (ESPECIALLY THE SHOWER - fix that FIRST!) would be lovely.

Room Tip: I was told that the beachfront rooms have a view of the nude beach, however, there is nothing to wor...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear i_heart_roadtrips,

Thank you for contributing to our page here on Trip Advisor. We appreciate this constructive review on your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the shortage of hot water and the low water pressure experienced. Repairs were made and we are trying our best to ensure that we rectify these challenges as quickly as they occur. Regarding the restocking of Red Stripe, we will investigate to see why this was not done, as we had adequate supply.

As it relates to the level of service you experienced, we will ensure that our training department pays specific attention to these highlighted, as we want to ensure that we are offering the best level of service to all our guests.

We are very pleased that you met Georgette (our pancake station Chef) and you found her and her station to your liking, as well as the Bruschetta and the Chicken Alfredo at the Amore Restaurant. Our Executive Chef (the one you met on the grounds) is very pleased that you would come back to Grand Lido Negril Resort & Spa so he will be able to make sure you enjoy your food much more, especially the Lasagna (he is an Italian national).

Your final comments regarding our hot tubs have been noted and will be investigated by our Engineering team, as it relates to our swimming pool; they are plans to have changes made as soon as possible.

It was our pleasure having you; we hope to see you again.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I stayed at the Grand Lido resort in Negril for an Island Gigs event. The event itself was fantastic and I had an absolute blast. Although I wasn't expecting a 5 star resort stay from previous reviews, I was still disappointed with the facilities at the resort and I know a few other friends staying there at the same time also had some reservations. The shower in our room was lukewarm at best most days and there were quite a lot of bugs in our room. The food was fine, as were the drinks but some of the restaurant meals were questionable! The majority of staff we encountered were lovely. We did get harassed by the security guard on the beach one day as we had left the Grand Lido beach section but weren't aware we had to sign out at the security area. Little things like that should be communicated to guests. As mentioned I did stay here due to an event, if it wasn't for the event I don't think I would have picked this resort.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
enrico p, General Manager at Grand Lido Negril, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Sez86,

We appreciate you taking the time to write your review, we do realize also that you had some concerns which affected your total enjoyment of Grand Lido Negril.

We consider your comments helpful and we will try our best to improve in the areas where we fell short. It was our pleasure hosting, and we do hope you will reconsider revisiting us.

Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I was at this resort a year ago when it was Breezes, now it's under new ownership so I was expecting some improvements to be made. It's been such a short time that much-needed room upgrades haven't happened yet. They will be welcomed.

I found the food to be not as good as last year. The Koi restaurant is FANTASTIC but the Italian & Mediterranean were just so-so. The Insomnia Cafe is a welcome addition. The buffet also seemed not as good as last year. I also really missed the entertainment staff from last year!!! The music this time was far too loud for lunch time.

The best part of this place is the BEACH. It is glorious and perfect in essentially every way. I do however miss the yellow floaties! The pool is adequate.... I love resort pools that are huge and include a swim up bar. Maybe in renos??

The people really make this place. The staff are just great!

I'll be checking out somewhere new next year but will be curious to see what upgrades begin to transpire at Grand Lido.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
enrico p, General Manager at Grand Lido Negril, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear jenrowsell,

Thank you for sharing your review of your recent visit; it was our pleasure having you. There are plans in place to have the rooms and our facilities upgraded in short order.

Your comments about our food quality will be shared with our Executive Chef, he will ensure that our high standard will be maintained and improvements made where needed.

As it relates to the level of sound, we have already made the necessary adjustments. We appreciate the comment about our beach and hard working team members. We look forward to your next visit.

Stirling, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We went to grand lido last April just when the transfer was happening. Had a great time so we went back again in Nov. Had a great time again. Would like to go back again this spring but prices have jumped four to six hundred dollars for one week.The resort does need work and just isn,t worth that much money.Hope prices get more realistic.The cove is the best place to be.Clothing optional is the main selling point but there is a limit.Traveled Nov 23. Bonnie and John Stirling Ont Canada.

Room Tip: cove rooms
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
enrico p, General Manager at Grand Lido Negril, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear John M,

Thank you for writing your comments about our resort, we are pleased that you had a great time with us. We do appreciate your repeat business and do hope you will reconsider making other reservations.

It was our pleasure having you here at Grand Lido Negril.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

The hotel has been around for quite along time and is showing its age. However the rooms are very clean, and ours seemed to have everything working (including the Jacuzzi bath).
The food at the buffet breafast and lunch was very good however the evening does not have a buffet, guests are invited to visit one of 3 restaurants (italian, Mediteranian and Sushi Japanese). We enjoyed the mediteranian the most, great food and great staff. We did not enjoy the italian restaurant as we found the food to taste as if it were all cooked in a microwave (including the Pizza)
The entertainment staff are a super team, and although we are in the over 55 age group, we were welcomed and became very friendly with all of them over the week.
The staff in general really made this whole visit great. Many of them from the buffet area went out of their way to ensure that we had personal attention. They made us feel special and really were the best part of the holiday. Kudos to the staff.

Room Tip: We chose a Junior suite with ocean views. It was on the 1st floor (above the ground floor) and was l...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mike W,

It was a pleasure having you here with us and we appreciate you taking the time to write a review on your stay. Thank you for your wonderful comments, and we know our hard working team really appreciates the good mentions.

I’m sorry that you did not enjoy so much the food at our Italian Restaurant, and will ensure that our Executive Chef is briefed on the comments made to ensure we have improvements were necessary.

Looking forward to your return visit.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I visited Grand Lido exactly one year ago when it was still Breezes and returned this year. Again, I was here as part of an event that provided nightly (and some daytime) entertainment, but aside from that, enjoyed the resort as anyone would.

THE GOOD:
- the beach the beach the beach, you can't beat this sand and crystal clear water!
- many of the staff I met last year were not only still around but REMEMBERED me, which I did not expect! It is so nice to walk up to a bar or for a towel and be greeted with a smile by name.
- The Japanese and Jamaican restaurants are mostly unchanged and still very tasty!
- There seemed to be more options for lunch at the buffet, and the hours are a bit longer which is helpful when it's hard to leave the beach
- fluffy new towels that can be traded for fresh ones, or a card to trade for a fresh one, whenever. We had no problems getting towels and the resort was close to full.
- bartenders who don't back down from a "I don't know what I want...." response and aim to please with their special concoctions. Shout out to Keron at the far bar!
- the grounds are well kept and a joy to walk around

THE OK
- Olives, the new Mediterranean restaurant, could use a bit of a decor upgrade. The menu was good but the vibe inside didn't really fit the menu.
- Wifi is technically free but it's hard to get on a network consistently. Lobby has it best, beach has it pretty well. We did not have it in our room in the middle of the main beach block at all.
- There is a new coffee/pastry shop but it kind of feels like an after thought. Just needs a little more thought and care and it could be really nice. More options would help too!

EH
- I was bummed that water sports are no longer included. While many of the staff are still around in some capacity, most water sports are now handled by Scuba Caribe. I am under the impression that kayak and hobbie boats are included for those who know how to use them but if an instructor is needed, they are at an extra charge, as is snorkeling. On top of that, the Scuba Caribe reps work on commission and thus really, really want to get you to book some form of activity with them. Because our event booked our own Catamaran cruises at different times from the ones normally offered, the reps were limited in what we could purchase from them and thus were pretty much left with no money to make for days. Though they tried! They were nice ladies but I shouldn't have to feel bad that I don't want to lay down $30 to go snorkel in the reef I visited for free last year (or paid $50 as part of a cruise I took the day before).
- the beds need an upgrade pretty badly. The rooms were very clean and we had all we needed but the mattresses and linens are getting up there in age. Not really what you expect at a resort of this size/ranking.

All and all, had another great vacation at this resort but would love to know that improvements are being made. There seemed be more of a low key vibe here this year, I am not sure if that's because we had so many of our own activities but the entertainment staff was not around as much at lunch and while I love the chill environment, I found myself wondering how much I would enjoy this resort if I wasn't there for an event that brought in its own entertainment. It is definitely enjoyable and again, the staff is great and does a wonderful job. It just could be a bit better.

Room Tip: Rooms on the C/O beach are quieter. We were on the main beach this year though and i had no issues w...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Sunnyskies99,

Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you had another great vacation, you loved our beach, enjoyed dining at our Japanese and Jamaican restaurant and loved that our grounds were well kept.

We are currently looking into changing the decor of our Olives restaurant and would like to have this done as soon as possible; you mentioned our coffee shop and we do have some changes that we will also make to that area.

All the other areas highlighted in your review will be shared with the relevant department heads, so that the necessary improvements can be made. It was our pleasure hosting you and we look forward to your next visit.

Enrico Pezzoli

Been to Grand Lido Negril? Share your experiences!