“GLN!!! No place like it” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Lido Negril

Save Saved
You added Grand Lido Negril to your Saves list
Grand Lido Negril
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd, PO Box 88, Negril, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Grand Resort & Spa Negril All Inclusive)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #46 of 91 hotels in Negril
“GLN!!! No place like it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We spent a week at GLN. There is no where else like it. Open your french doors and the caribbean sea is staring right at you. Clean, manicured grounds. The beach is just the way we want it. Small enough to be private but you can still order a drink while your in the water. NICE!!! YES THE PLACE NEEDS UPDATING AND YES THEY ARE DOING IT. Please dont let the negative reviews keep you away. All my concerns vanished when we arrived. Millicent, Nicola and Frantz took care of every little thing we needed. Everything in our room worked just fine. Even the "suicide" tub. The beach grill was great. Did I mention LAMB CHOPS!! Every day we ate them. Can't complain about anything. Hope to go back real soon.

Room Tip: C/O side 1065 block

2,223 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (627)
Corona, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I'd like to state that I read many of the comments prior to my stay at Grand Lido. The other comments on here may be out dated since Grand Lido took on new management. Here is my experience from staying late August 2013

Pros:

Grand Lidos has by far the best location on Bloody Bay. This is the one thing that makes Grand Lido special. It is positioned on the southern most part of the Bay, making both beach and cove(nude beach) very private. We walked the entire stretch of the bay and found that the other resorts had more people and more going on, but lacked the shire intimacy that Grand Lido offers.

The staff at GL(grand Lido) are super friendly and great to talk to. They were very welcoming and always asked how you were doing.

Eat at the Jamaican restaurant. The food comes quick and the curry goat and oxtail are amazing. Dinner Buffet at GL is only open 2 days a week(Fridays and Mondays) as opposed to the other resorts where food was out all day everyday.

Sunsets in Negril are the best in the country. It was even better at GL since during our stay, occupancy was very low. We had the beach and ocean to ourselves while sipping on rum and watching the sunset.

Cons:

Negril is safe if you go with a real tour guide and trusted driver, but it can be an awful experience even with a hotel booked taxi as my experience will tell:

We booked an excursion through the agent in Grand Lido. While speaking with the Excursion agent, she stops her sales pitch to introduce a manager of the VIP taxi company they work "exclusively" with. We paid for the group excursion but were told we might be the only ones for that day. The morning of the excursion comes and we wait at the lobby for the a driver and tour guide. We get approached by a driver(looks a bit sketchy) who says hes the driver for the excursion. We walked to the front entrance and get into a beat up car, with no "VIP" logo anywhere in sight. He proceeds to talk about drugs and sexual encounters with women on the way there, and makes unscheduled stops to pick up money, gas and food(for him). We had a bad feeling and asked him to take us back. We asked the sales agent the next day what the deal was and she said that he was indeed our driver and that this excursion didn't used VIP taxis... I would suggest that if you were to book an excursion, ask who will pick you up. Safety seems to lack in this department. (if you want a safe and respectful driver, ask for Patrick, esperanzatours.webs.com. He's the best!!!)

Just say no to the Staff trying to sell you the "Free 5 night stay" over a "quick" breakfast meeting. We said no and didn't have problems, but other couples had to suffer through a morning of [--].

Night life is non existent here. They held a bingo night while we were there... Seriously...

All the furniture is out dated and worn in.

Shower early because they seem to have a small hot water tank..

Besides the excursion incident, we had a great time. GL is perfect if you were interested in just a room, beach and privacy. Between business and pleasure, we have both traveled to many different parts of the world so nothing on this trip really phased us. The locals soliciting there trinkets and songs are just trying to earn a buck. If you are not interested in what they are selling, a smile and a "no thank you" will usually suffice. It seems to be going on the up and up and I am sure they will be in better shape by next year. I would probably stay again if the deal was right.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is my first REAL vacation besides visiting back home, and the experience was everything phenomenal plus more, they say the key to a mans heart is through his stomach, well they had many options to choose from and some which open till real late for that mid-night "snack"... the employees there very BEYOND nice they introduce themselves to me first name basis which is a MAJOR PLUS and THUMPS UP, I informed them that is my first real vacation and they were thrill to have me, I met Margaret first who then introduced me to basically EVERYONE in the hotel and told them my story. and everyone told me if i need anything to make this trip any better to come look for them or give them a call they all gave me their location where they will be and extension, this made it that much personal, they also took they time out and checked up on me and just had great conversations YOU CANNOT find that everywhere you go & for that i would love to give a BIG thanks to the people who made my vacation come out to PERFECTION Margaret, Renee, Dainya, Chris, Franz, you guys made my vacation that much better and for that i am GRATEFUL. WHEN I THINK JAMAICA I THINK GRAND LIDO, i will never forget those people... YAH MON

Room Tip: i stayed in 1039, right in front of it was a HAMMOCK, and beach, what more can you ask for, beautifu...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
enrico p, General Manager at Grand Lido Negril, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
First and foremost I would like to thank you for posting such a great review of our resort.
Here at Grand Lido Negril we always take pleasure and pride in giving excellent customer service to our clients.

We strive for what is best when it comes on to guest satisfaction and for that we are grateful.

I also want to thank you for mentioning our hardworking staff that has done their best to make our guests feel at home.

Thanks again for your kind support, your comments are greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards,
Enrico Pezzoli
Pfafftown, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was our third time going to this resort. First time being under the new management. The rooms need updating but according to management that is in the plans for this next year. Our AC would make scratching noises in the middle of the night. Sounding like a smoke alarm going off. There has always been floats for the visitors to take out into the water. This time if you wanted a float you had to go and buy one from the gift shop. In the past tips were not expected, however this time they were solicited by the bar cooks. Pretty much "you take care of me I take care of you" .Who carries tip money at an all inclusive when you are just trying to get a burger?? The liquor was watered down (not that this is necessary a bad thing). The matts for the beach chairs are quite frankly "disgusting". They have been out in the weather for years.... The French, American, and Japanese restaurants was excellent. The main dining was pretty good. No complaints there. The entertainment is lacking and doesn't start until 10 some nights. Now I will stay up with the best of them but when you finish your dinner at 8:30 or 9, what are you to do while you wait on the entertainment to start. One night when the entertainment started there was 10 people in the place to watch it!! The best part of this place is the Spa. Deon will give you a massage to die for. My husband and I went twice in 3 days for a couples massage. It was incredible. We decided to go to the sales pitch. They will try and get you there by telling you it will only take 90 mins and that you will be having breakfast or lunch with them. It will take a minimum of 2.5 hrs . It is not worth the $50 off your massage. Although we like the facility we will think twice before returning.

Room Tip: When booking a room try to get one with the shower instead of the Jacuzzi. Great shower!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
enrico p, General Manager at Grand Lido Negril, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Grand Lido Negril. We truly value our customer opinion and we apologize that we did not meet all your expectations.

Providing our guest with the best hospitality and service has always been our mission. We give you our guarantee that the issues you have highlighted in your review will be thoroughly investigated and addressed.

We would welcome the opportunity to host you in a future stay.

Kindest Regards,
Enrico Pezzoli
Mays Landing, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My wife had never been out of the country. So we decided to do an all inclusive at this resort in Jamica(yea man).And since we traded our time share to go here the rates seem to be pleasing.
when we got there, they placed us in the far end near the clothing optional beach. I think they want to you to buy an upgrade. we declined the up grade, however we got a change in room because of some problems with our room. a tip didnt hurt. then we realized that we were not there for the room but for all of the eating swimming and entertainment that are not in the room anyway. All of those things were nice and worth the money of our package. The staff is however the only real reason I would return. they all treat you like they really want you to have a nice time. they work very hard. the beach and the sunsets are amazing. you know that when you go home that is somthing you will miss. . the enterainment crew were very nice that will sit you. and you can tell they are trained well to get feedback. Latoya was my favorite she is a sweet heart. I hope they are they when and if we return. my one complaint is the notion that these people, the support straff get so little for the hard work they do. as i mentioned they are the only reason you would likely return to this resort. my wife and i walked off site to do a bit of shopping. Since we both lool like the natives we wanted to get some feel for the people that dont work there. we found out that the people in this third world country are lucky if they can work there at the resort to make 80 us dollor a week. I thought it was okay since they make tips . only to find out that the staff do not get tips unless visitors. tip them.And since our package said tis was included that was unfair to us and the staff (new ownership) That leads me to my only real problem. My package said that this was included. I booked there partly because i like this idea. Then i found out that this is not the case. This made me love the people even more
my wife and i returned to the property and walk in through the employee entrance. they gave us a bit of a time since we look like the native( my wife got here hair braided and the tropical sun got us darker than some of the people that liver there) however we thanked all the the people washing the towls and peopel you dont see going back to the main beach. After doing the math at my lunch table, and thinking of all the food(1st rate) and service (1st rate) and entertainment i could understand how they cannot pay tip to the many employees. I felt better and just started to leave tips with any that we felt served my wife and i. All in all we had a very nice time. they are suppose to upgrade the hotel. if your not really worried about sleeping in an upgraded room dont let that stop you from going in then meantime. just bring a lot of 5&ten( change is hard to get) enjoy the service and leave A GOOD TIP.

Room Tip: I would not pay to upgrade. but i would try to get to the main beach.
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

First off, half of this resort is clothing optional - only beachfront rooms are not on the clothing optional side. This resort was very recently sold, as a result the previous owner (breezes) let it get rundown and the new owners have yet to get it back up and running. The dinner buffet is only offered twice a week, the main pool is cloudy and has no bar - the main bar is indoors and the beach bar is very far away. If you have a garden view room all you will hear is traffic and you will have to walk a long way down a road in order to get to the main facilities. The entertainment and activities are pitiful and the staff are beyond indifferent. We spent most of the week walking down to the much nicer Riu Tropical a couple of resorts down the beach. We wound up spending so much money in order to change rooms and do things away from the resort that we could have afforded a top of the line 5 star resort. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Room Tip: Insist on a beach front room or ocean view if you want to go clothing optional. Go to the Riu instea...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Madison, AL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Puddles of rain water leaked into the room, broken glass in the exterior door, almost every beach chair was busted, and most of the staff could care less.
This was our 4th trip to Negril and the first time we've ever had stomach issues - PERSISTENT stomach issues. Enough said about that.....
Beach - gorgeous. Water - amazingly clear. Shout out to the beach bar staff who were terrific every day. Also to housekeeping who did their best with those horribly run-down rooms.
Any day in Jamaica is a GREAT day......just choose a different resort.

Room Tip: If I HAD to go back...the one-bedroom beachfront suite has seperate living and sleeping areas with r...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Lido Negril? Share your experiences!