“Perfect location and overall great holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Lido Negril

Save Saved
You added Grand Lido Negril to your Saves list
Grand Lido Negril
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd, PO Box 88, Negril, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Grand Resort & Spa Negril All Inclusive)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Fall Sale - Save 60%
Ranked #45 of 91 hotels in Negril
Toronto
“Perfect location and overall great holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I travel all of the time. I do all inclusive resorts as well as a la carte. I was at the Grand Lido many years ago when it was white glove service. Before becomming a lawyer I worked as a p/t travel agent and sent many people here. It is by no means what it used to be, but I still love it. For the current rates it cannot be beat! Once it is rennovated, the cost will go up dramatically I am sure so if you are a reasonable person who doesnt let the small things bother you, run don't walk to get there while it is still very much underpriced.

We stayed in the beachfront walk out suite. The layout, location and service is excellent. You walk in from the beach (just a hop to the sand) to a patio with a dining table and chairs. You then unlock your private doors (which open up through french doors for an unbelievable view) and enter your own atrium like area with a hot tub and two loungers. You then unlock your suite door to a sitting room with tv, dining table set with china and a wet bar. You then enter to your bedroom with walk in closet set with your own beach towels and a bathroom with a jacuzzi tub, separate shower and toilet. This space is not lacking in drawers, closet space, ample area in the bathroom to spread out as a couple.

Now, mind you the resort is run down and so are the rooms. The furniture and bedding is outdated but still nice. Upon arrival our a/c was leaking, our hot tub had issues as well as our jacuzzi. This is all quite annoying. But I had contacted before departure (as I normally do to ensure a hassel free holiday) one of the most responsive and efficient resort managers I have ever met. Todd Kirlik of Blue Diamond resorts. I had emailed him a few days before we left and he called me directly. We spoke for over 30 minutes. He also emailed me and gave me the property managers name for problems. When I had issues on arrival, I emailed Todd, called the front desk and things were promptly fixed to my satisfaction... not perfection... but they did the best they could and that is all I could ask. I must remind you, when you go, this property is going to close in a year and do a complete rennovation so this room will be rightfully so, a lot more expensive so you can't really complain if everything is clean, comfy, and functions. Let me tell you the location and view is worth the money. I would have pitched a tent there if I had to.

Food: It is good. Not amazing. But it is on par with other all inclusives. I was raised by a chef so I know great food, and to date I have never had amazing food at an all inclusive. It is just too imposible in bulk like that. I have been to resorts that charge 5 times what I paid here and the food is just good. The sushi restaurant was very good. We met nice people and enjoyed ourselves. Getting reservations was the easiest it has ever been at an all inclusive. The Italian/pizza place is ok at best but it is great to get good pasta sauce in the Carribbean. The jerk chicken hut was very good. Room service was hit or miss. They ran out of things very quickly but they were just not prepared enough and I am sure this will change. It certainly did not ruin our holiday.

The staff in general was amazing. Two issues was the beach staff that spent most of their days hitting on single women. That is a big problem they need to remedy. It was very awkward. Also, the front desk was a bit off. They would handle personal business while you waited in line and answering the phone when you called was not their strong point. Again, this must be addressed by management.

The spa was amazing. Seriously I had one of the best massages of my life. I went back the next day. It is reasonably priced as well.

Transportation: If you get a package with Sunwing it is included. I would NEVER take it again. NEVER. I would pay for the ride. On the way there it took 4+ hours to get there. Why? The bus drivers partner was selling beer for 5 bucks a piece and partiers at other hotels we were dropping off drank so much we had to stop 5 times. It was so inconsiderate. If they are going to do this, get a bus with a bathroom. Then our 10 minute bathroom breaks turned into 20 as the bus driver let people get off to smoke each time. It was horrible. We were tired and wanted to get there in the 90 mins it has taken me the other 22 times I visited Jamaica and this was unacceptable.

Sunwing representative at hotel: Maybe she was having a bad day, but she was slightly rude, completely uninformative, and spent most of her day with her head in her IPAD or going on shopping trips with other guests. She was the worst!

Overall, they need to fix what they can immediately (Sunwing rep, transport, front desk) but for the price this was an amazing vacation. My husband and I loved it. We will go back again if we can before it changes to get this great price... in our same room, and we will be back after they rennovate.

I highly recommend this resort to people who want a great location, great vacation and do not let the very small things bother them and can see the bigger picture.

Run, don't walk to Grand Lido Negril.

Room Tip: It is worth the extra money to get a beach front walk out room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

2,287 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (659)
Cambridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We spent 2 weeks in Negril at Grand Lido. We chose this resort as we have always wanted to stay there.Even though this is rated as a 4 star, it had been a 5 star once upon a time! We had visited Negril twice before over 30 years ago and wanted to go back because of the beautiful beaches.
Our oceanview room was lovely. The shower is beautiful and big. Our cleaning person was very thorough and easily spent 45 minutes each day scrubbing our room. We were not untidy or made messes! It was just that they changed the sheets every day--a wonderful surprise and made sure our room was pristine. Our room had patio doors which overlooked the ocean, edged by a beautiful reef which morphed into two beautiful beaches. To the right was the main beach--a gorgeous expanse of golden sand. To the left, after a 2 minute walk was the clothes optional beach. This is where we chose to spend most of our time, as I could snorkel every day right off this beach. It was also shaded by gorgeous trees with various little nooks and crannies to have privacy. Although we wore our bathing suits, we found mingling with the people who chose to bare all very comfortable. There was a small pool, at which we played volleyball with other guests a number of times and a great bar which served premium drinks! The latter had a very friendly bartender and cook who would serve up jerk lamb chops, fries, nachos, hamburgers, etc. within a brief period. We loved this area the most.
The other bigger beach was situated just off the big, main pool. This was a lovely pool and well-maintained. The only thing I would suggest about this pool is that some of the concrete/cement around the pool needs updating. There are umbrellas, but more umbrellas would be good. However, the water was clean and a perfect temperature. This pool was conveniently located right next to the buffet restaurant, where the main bar also was situated. The bar staff was excellent and attentive! I particularly loved the cappucinos in the morning.
Of all resorts I have been to and we have been to DOZENS--the entertainment staff at this resort were the hardest working, most attentive, caring people we have ever had the pleasure to interact with. They really, really cared.
Latoya was the particular staff member we bonded with. She was very attentive to my husband, who carried an oxygenator. Her enthusiasm, natural charisma, empathetic attitude and intuitive nature was outstanding. She is an asset to the resort. Her beautiful spirit and personality made our stay memorable. And she is a fabulous dancer! We also found Adriana, the entertainment director to be smart, beautiful, and attentive. We very much enjoyed talking with her, although she was very busy and constantly on the go.
Nemo played pool volleyball with us once and was showed lots of leadership skills. We also loved Angie, who was very outgoing and caring. We also remember Ethan, a very nice guy.

So obviously the staff made our 2 week stay very enjoyable. Now on to the food!
Fabulous! The chefs here are fantastic. We loved every meal. The only thing I had issue with was the OJ in the mornings. It was very watery and not up to snuff. But breakfasts were great: fresh croissants, eggs, glorious fruit, smoked salmon, breads, plus traditional Jamaican cuisine. Lunches were good---lots of hot dishes including jerk chicken, BBQ chicken, fried chicken, all kinds of fishes, Mexican food, a pasta bar which had a chef to make your order the way you like it, an incredible salad bar. Everything was pristine and at exactly the right temp. There was always meat cut right off the bone eg. ham, turkey, beef, lamb etc. My husband and our friends, another couple from Canada, OD'd on the lamb at this resort, It was very very good. And the desserts! The best at any resort and better than some cruises we have been on.I limited myself to "tastes" but I still gained a few pounds over my two weeks there!
I highly recommend the French restaurant. Excellent food and worthwhile. The Grand Cafe was good too. One criticism : our last Thursday (June 13) it was closed. The buffet at night wasn't running. The only two options on this one night for a walk in dinner was the Italian restaurant (which was packed)or the Jamaican restaurant, which had limited seating and was two flights up (difficult for my husband). The French restaurant required prior reservations. Normally guests can walk into the Grand Cafe for a sit-down dinner but it was closed. So on this June 13 night, we were not happy as we were with another couple and could not eat at 7:30. So we waited an hour and got take out from the Jamaican restaurant and ate in our room. Recommendation to the management: when the buffet is closed on Tuesdays and Thursdays, please keep all 3 restaurants open that guests can just walk into.
We also did the Japanese restaurant which was very good, but we all came out after two hours still hungry. Great entertainment but small portions.

I used the gym twice. There is a separate cardio room and separate weight room There are two air conditioners in each room. Only one was working in each area. This made working out very stuffy. It wasn't a pleasant experience. There was also an overhead fan in each room. Only one worked. The rooms smelt like rubber and the flooring...which was the cause looked like it needed cleaning. Also the 15 pound bar bells were missing each time I went to work out. I did point out the stuffiness and lack of air circulation to the front desk. When I went back two days later, the environment was still the same. So if you don't mind a stuffy smelly gym, do work out there. But it was hot and I over heat easily. The weight room has lots and lots of heavy weights. But for me, a woman who loves to work out, the smaller weights were non existent. It also needed more leg machines. eg. hip and glutes.

The beaches here are gorgeous. If you love to swim and take boat trips this is the place. We were going to do a catamaran trip, but having done so many before in the Caribbean, we decided to just kick back and do resort stuff. However, I do recommend doing a trip to Rick's Cafe if you have never gone to see the cliff divers either by Cat or cab.

The snorkelling here is decent. I love to watch marine life so I was disappointed to see a number of sea urchins. I have my own equipment so I was able to go out a number of time. I saw a number of sting rays and one glorious day a large blue!! manta ray, which was very shy. A number of pretty reef fish and sea vegetation was enjoyed. One disturbing thing: I saw 3 !!! lion fish, an invasive species to the Caribbean. I kept my distance. Divers in the Keys are being licensed to spear these fish as they can take over reefs as they are very prolific and eat all the sub-species of an reef eco-system. I notifed NOAA of the presence of these fish. Hopefully someone will read this and take action.

Re: Nudists--there were a number of people who enjoy this resort because of the clothes optional beach. If you are one of these this is a good resort but pretty quiet. I liked the fact that we DIDN'T have to take off our clothes to enjoy the pretty beach, the pool, and the nearby bar. Just sayin'.....

One rider: stay away from anyone in the Lobby who is associated with Diamond resorts. Apparently they bought this resort along with Sunwing on June 1. Diamond resort people like to call their product "travel savers" or pre-advanced savings---all they really are is another form of time-share. We researched this company thoroughly and the reviews are all negative. When we were there, the reps were confined to the upper lobby. A good thing.

Room Tip: Get an oceanview room to the left of the main pool.
KW, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The best part of the Grand Lido Negril is the staff. The main buffet, the French restaurant and the cove bar had the best waitstaff. The Entertainment team was always out on the beach and around during the day to draw us in from the water to have a great time playing bingo, paint rocks or play trivia. In the evenings Angie, Renae, Latoya, Adriann, Nemo, Octane and Miguel kept us laughing or amazed at their dancing skills.
I agree with the previous TripAdvisor posts sing the praises of the Jamaican lamb chops served at the cove bar. A bit spicy and delicious! The French restaurant mushroom soup and lamb chops were equally divine!
Life at the cove was great and I highly recommend a ground level room. The convenience of walking out my door, just steps from the bar, pool and beach was fantastic. We had the opportunity to meet some fabulous and memorable travelers; the cove has a friendly and unassuming attitude. Reg-Mon and crew kept everyone laughing; making this our best vacation.
The overall decor is a bit dated, but this is no reason not to visit. The resort will undergo renovations this year and I recommend a swim-up bar would be a welcome addition.

Room Tip: ground level beachfront (1052) is extremely convenient to come and go without having to carry your r...
toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

It's May 13 and It is now called the Grand Lido owned by Sunwing, I think. Read all the negatives and know they are true. I have traveled fairly extensively globally and this is the worst place I have stayed since I was in Myanmar. If Sandals is a 5 star, Iberostar 3.5 to 4, most Cancun Hotels 2.5 to 3.5, then this has to be 2.5 to 3 star.

Property--the beach and water--mother nature couldn't have done it better. This is indeed the best stretch of beach in Negril and is shared with Riu hotels amongst others. The property portion of it, well, let's say the very worn cushions on the beach chairs make you definitely want to spread a towel on it before sitting. The pool is so small, you would think it was in your neighbours slightly enlarged back yard.

Vegetation--the property is about a 3.5. With some water, the grass and plants could be restored back to it's 5 star nature made beauty but it is dry season so perhaps it will be better with some rain.

The dining faculties. If you want to return to the 1990's, you got a French restaurant done perfectly, but aged since the 1990's. The food though is best at the French restaurant.

Rooms--this is definitely 2 star and they are truly stingy on the towels--yes, only one of each. I hope they have changed this. No toiletries except a small sample size soap but hey, they were generous and added some old Breezes hand lotion.

Food--let's say that the Mexican 3 star hotels are of better quality which is NOT Standard for food in Jamaica which is normally of high standards even for the moderate price brackets. There were days though that was an exception.

Price: it was a sell-off and if you just need to get away and just want a clean place, even though it's tired and crummy in places then this may be a consideration if you get it really cheap

• Stayed May 2013
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We just got back from a lovely trip to the Grand Lido Negril. We booked our trip when it was still a Breezes property and were a little bit concerned when we heard about the change of ownership. However, there was no need to be concerned.

Everyone says that Seven Mile Beach is the best beach in Jamaica. I would have to say that our little piece of paradise rivals Seven Mile. The sand is soft and white, the ocean calm and warm. There were plenty of trees so you can have a nap in the shade. I could have lived without the peddlers constantly offering their wares, particularly the drug dealer and the cigarette/cigar guy, but the edge of the ocean is considered public property and hotel security makes sure they don't bother you too much.

The room was clean and comfortable, if dated. The bed was remarkably comfortable. The bathroom decor is in need of some updating, but there's nothing that I wouldn't gladly live with for another week or two.

The food in Jamaica is always exceptional, and the Grand Lido delivers. We really enjoyed the group evenings. We had a beach party (sadly inside due to the threat of rain), a pool party (dinner set up poolside - my favourite) and a gala night. It was spectacular! Our personal favourites were the jerk chicken (it is Jamaica after all), the creole shrimp and the mahi mahi. And there was always something delicious to satisfy a sweet tooth.

Other than dinner on the pool deck, we didn't spend anytime around the pool. There always seemed to be plenty of loungers, we just preferred the beach. One of our favourite things was the cushions for the loungers available at both the pool and the beach. While the fabric is faded, showing their age, they are incredibly comfortable.

The entertainment team was great with fun shows each night. Special thanks to Nemo for recognizing that some people just have a better time in the audience than they would have on stage and for sitting and enjoying the show with us.

The best way to summarize our trip is that we have zero complaints, not one little thing was wrong or one little thing that we would change. We can't wait to go back and see what the new owners have done with the property.

Room Tip: At check in they offered us room upgrades. We had booked an oceanview, but took the upgrade for a be...
Brooklyn, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I recently returned from a 4-night stay at Grand Lido (June 8 to June 11) and here are my pros/cons:

PROS
- quick check-in
- food and lite snacks upon arrival
- super friendly and professional staff
- superbly clean rooms
- large rooms with sunken living room
- wi-fi in room
- large safe in room
- mini bar stocked with soda, beer, water daily
- rooms cleaned impeccably daily
- clothing optional resort
- no brat take-overs
- good cocktails
- Japanese and Grand Cafe restaurants served really good food - highly recco
- always ample seating on beach (no need to wake up at crack of dawn to snag chair)
- great massages
- iron and iron board in each room

CONS
- sorely lacking on-site entertainment (def recco a trip to 7-mile beach's Margaritaville)
- during my stay, entertainment consisted of 1 night of dancing and another night a couples trivia game
- barely anyone here
- on-site club only open during select nights and was empty night I ventured in
- food is decent, not the best
- mushrooms for omelette ran out hour before breakfast closed

Shout out to Shane, Letoya, Allison, Renee, Miyoka, Adrianna, Ricardo, Paul, Camille and all the rest of the amazingly wonderful staff!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Just got back from a fantastic trip from the Grand Lido which now holds a special place in our hearts.
The quality and selection of food was wonderful…loved the specialty restaurants as well as the buffet theme nights and cove side dishes.
We were very fortunate to be able to party with a great bunch of people from Canada and the US. Huge shout out to Latoya, Nemo, Miguel and Odain and our two special ladies Renee and Angie who all made our trip a great memory. The bartenders and wait staff are the best…love you all.
Rooms were spacious and clean, Beach was amazing (plenty of chairs and towels) but I agree with Margaret it could use more floaties. .
Entertainment was excellent every night (they put a lot of work into it and it shows), however we missed the Jazz nite (sorry guys). We’ll have to catch it on our next trip (hopefully soon).
We don't usually write a review but you all made it so special that we had to share our fantastic experience.
Grace and Reg Man

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Lido Negril? Share your experiences!