“An old property, but still one of the best” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Lido Negril

Save Saved
You added Grand Lido Negril to your Saves list
Grand Lido Negril
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd, PO Box 88, Negril, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Grand Resort & Spa Negril All Inclusive)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
$1250 Resort Credit
Ranked #46 of 91 hotels in Negril
Edmonton
“An old property, but still one of the best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

It has been 15 years since we stayed at this property, and I agree with some of the reviews that it shows some age. But for us, it was "No Problem Mon", and with the pricing lower than before, it represents great value.

Had it been brand new or recently renovated we would have given it 5 stars.

It is a more mature crowd, with some stuffy people, but there were some young people as well, and we met a real cool couple from Toronto that we hung out with. It is what you make of it.

We have previously stayed at the nearby Sandals, Beaches, Swept Away, as well as some locally owned resorts, for 20 years now. So we know what to expect in Negril, and they all have their style and some represent better overall value than others.

We really enjoyed going back to what was once "The Grand Lido" resort. The many restaurants are a highlight if you are a "foodie", especially the French and Italian ones. People rave about the Japanese place, which was good too, and the Continental had great food and service.

We were lucky enough to get an upgrade to "The Prime Ministers Suite" (room 2104), part of their super luxury section. It was not a free upgrade, but the local charge was far less than booking this suite through the travel agency or website, so you may get lucky if you ask at the front desk! I thought the charge was quite reasonable, and the room was fantastic.

So our review may be a bit biased, because we were treated to the best the resort had to offer. In two weeks, we really took advantage of all this resort has to offer.

A highlight for me was the watersports. Run by a season professional, "O B" (O'Brian) is the best of the best. We have enjoyed his hospitality at other resorts he has worked at, and he really made my experience memorable. Maximum respect.

"Pointer" (Lloyd) is another old friend working there and a great dive instructor. I did my rescue class with him, and really enjoyed his professionalism and cool attitude. Again, much respect.

A shout out to all the water sports gang, especially Glenron, "Mudslide", and Valentine. Show them some respect, and they will show you some great times.

My wife really enjoyed the beach there, (while I was off diving every morning) which at the beginning of "Bloody Bay" is off the main 7 mile stretch. For us though, that was great, as it had less of the hassle you get on the main beach, so its great for a more mature crowd as well as young lovers looking for some private chill time.

The night time entertainment was okay, there is a band, and some nightly events. Not Vegas quality or anything, but not bad either.

A beautiful resort, with nice grounds, a great vibe, good spa, and a fantastic service team.

I know it says not to tip, but come on - these people don't make much, so show some respect and hand over 5 bucks now and again. The smile you get will be worth it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

2,223 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (627)
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This was our first trip to Jamaica (after having winter vacations in several places in Caribbean).
We enjoyed our time and would return: “ two thumbs up” for all personnel being so friendly and helpful
Airport transfer to resort was well organized and comfortable – we have a short stop to use facilities (the transfer takes close to 1.5 h)
Check-in fast - we had an ocean view room upper level close to clothing optional section – 20ft from the ocean . Room was comfortable, although were many reviews that stated how it was dated and rooms were in poor shape – in some instances minor TLC are recommended , you have to be really picky to complain. The bathroom was equipped with multiple heads shower (although only the overhead works properly, the others will not have the proper pressure)
The console TVs was nice and the air conditioning worked very well. The mini bar was stocked daily with water beer and other refreshment drinks.
A beautiful, long, sandy beach to walk bare foot, which my feet really, really enjoyed. Every morning they did a great job of cleaning off the seaweed that washed up at night. The water was so clear and clean.
Food was very good and the quality and variety generally satisfied our taste. There is an afternoon tea daily,(in the lobby) with sandwiches, cookies, cheese and crackers.
We went to all A-la-cart restaurants and the food and service was excellent (excepting Grand Café where we went disappointed by the extremely slow service poor menu and air conditioning). Best place Reggae Café (make sure you will try the lamb chop – is delicious).
French restaurant nice atmosphere and classy décor (a little confused about the name “ Piacere” is an Italian word .. not French ??) . Asian restaurant: very traditional and the sushi excellent
Grand Terasa buffet well organized and not crowded (lots of thanks to Marion for tasty Cappuccino and Amaretto daily served with our lunch ). Many choices that changed each day.
Lots of way to fill your time : tennis table, pool tables , tennis court, snorkeling, scuba diving. Daily evening shows with live music and invited traditional local bands
Due to the short stay we didn’t have any of the excursions offered by the resort . In one day we went in Negril to visit Time square mall for some shopping - Safe and reliable (we use one of the local Taxi van arranged by the hotel - Norman – the driver- was very polite and helpful all this trip.
Tips: Bring repellant – sometime in the evenings the bugs are annoying. Buy Rom from Duty Free airport: Best price and well and safe packed. The hotel has Wi-Fi –cheaper with your notebook or laptop instead of using business center

Room Tip: By clothing optional section and worth to upgrade to Ocean view (first floor)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond Hill, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have recently returned from a stay at Breezes Grand Negril, and estimate that approx. 75% of the people we met, it WAS NOT their first, second, tenth or twelfth time there. Being our first stay definitely put us in the minority.

We enjoyed our time and would return, as the staff is friendly and helpful and this is what makes for its success and the repeat business. My bed was comfortable and how much time do you spend the in the room otherwise? Not much.

My companion did two dives per day, and I snorkeled from the beach, which was awesome.

A beautiful, sandy beach to walk bare foot, which my feet really, really enjoyed.

Same day reservations at the a la carte restaurants (2), is not a problem and you don't have to get up a dawn to do this, as I have seen at other resorts. For the ladies, take a shawl or something of your shoulders, as we found the temperature setting too low in the inside restaurants (Japanese, French, Italian and Grand Cafe).

Japanese - excellent food, entertainment and service.
French - excellent food.

Although the hotel was at capacity, it did not feel crowded, except the Friday GALA buffet when all other restaurants are closed and it is one BIG buffet. And for me it was wall-to-wall people and there were line ups at the different stations.

There is an afternoon tea daily, with sandwiches, cookies, cheese and crackers, and something that was referred to as SCONES. Definitely not scones that I was expecting with strawberry jam and whipped or clotted cream. MMmmmmm delicious !!!!!! One day there was peanut butter to go with the scones !!!!! It was all good, but not what I was looking forward to having.

Yes, there were rumors about the resort being sold. I just hope that whoever takes over doesn't make too many changes, too quickly. Keep the staff happy and they will in turn project a positive attitude.

Room Tip: As I have to be careful on stairs, I requested a shower stall not tub/shower and to be on the first...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Niagara Falls, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Overall my trip was very good...buffet was excellent only thing was some nights there was no buffet but there was other restaurants you could eat at without reservations...The french and Japanese restaurants were very good...Only thing about the buffet was breakfast was 7:30 till 10:30 then lunch was 12:00 till 3:00 it would of been nice to have that buffet served till 5:00 at least..The resort was small but convenient no swim up bar the pool was small but we spent most of our time on the beach...the chairs cushions on the beach are outdated but we made the most of it. Entertainment at night could of been more exciting but a least there was some entertainment the piano bar was good Ike the player what a doll....the disco was good as well not always a lot of people there...a small casino was alright..The service was good bartenders were great but i think if you tipped you got better service...We got good service on the beach as well but we did tip our waiters and bartenders...Felt really secure on the beach lots of security to make sure we were not harrassed by vendors on the beach but if we decided to check what they had security was near to make sure we were not being treated badly...A must to see is Rick' Cafe it was excellent

Room Tip: Choose ocean view rooms...was a very nice room but balcony are not big that was the only downfall to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Algona, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was my first trip out of the US so I don't have anything to compare it to. I went with a group of 5 people and we reviewed many places and chose this based on price, quality and the fact that since I am a single guy it is somewhat limited on resorts for singles in Jamaica.

My travel tip. Bring along a large mug with a lid like you can get at most convenient stores. Makes trips to the bar less frequent and keeps the sand out of your drinks.

Check in and check out was simple and painless. We were in our rooms in less than a half hour I would say. We requested rooms close together but they couldn't get us close and ended up putting myself and one of the couples in suites for the first night. We could have paid for the upgrade for the remainder of the trip but I did not feel it was worth it as the suite only contained a second room with another couch and TV. The second day they moved us to our rooms by each other. That was very accommodating not having walk all over the resort to find each other's rooms. They also took our luggage to and from our rooms when we checked in, moved, and check out.

There were many reviews that stated how it was dated and rooms were in poor shape. I would say you have to be really picky to complain or have this be a deal breaker. Yes it was a little dated and could use some TLC but all 3 or the rooms our group was in were very nice. I don't believe any of us had any complaints of anything not working. The rooms were clean and I thought the bed was quite comfortable. The TVs were nice and the air conditioning worked very well. I like to take long showers and had plenty of hot water. The mini bar was stocked daily. Red Stripe, water and Coke. I did have some bugs the first day but I think it was my own fault since I had left an empty drink glass from the bar on the counter. After making sure not to do that again never saw them again. The only complaint I would have is the chairs on the little patios outside the rooms need to be updated. They could use some paint and some were broken and need to be replaced but again it is how picky you are about things.

The food was excellent. The buffet at the Gran Terezza each morning was very good. It wasn't always the same thing and the variety was nice. The cooked to order omelets or eggs were delicious. Lunch buffet at was also excellent. Again many choices that changed each day. The pasta bar was very good as well as the made to order wraps. If you went hungry it was your own fault. The wait staff was good but sometimes a little slow with drinks but we usually brought our own large mugs filled before hand. The only restaurant we went to that I was disappointed in the food was La Pasta. It was a limited menu and the pasta was not very good in my opinion. The pizza was quite good though. Piacere was quite good and I believe the only place that had a dress code. Munasan was fun and very tasty. The show we had at our table wasn't as good as we saw at other tables but we had very early reservations and maybe had a new chef. The sushi was very good and I was even able to get them to sneak me out a plate to take back to my room. We ate at each restaurant only once because we wanted to try them all and they have a beach buffet of local cuisine on Monday. Definitely go to the Reggae Cafe. We only made it there once for a meal and I would have to say the lamb chops were very good and tender. They also have Juicie Patties there most of the day. I think that was my favorite food of the whole trip.

The drinks were delicious and usually contained plenty of booze. Try the Dirty Banana! This is where the large mugs came in handy. We could grab a drink or beer at the bar and head to the beach to enjoy the sun and sand. I really enjoyed talking to Linton, one of the bartenders. He gave us a lot of information about the culture down there and was entertaining. All the bartenders were good but I liked him the most. There was a beach bar at one end of the clothed beach and the main bar was at the other end. The only complaint I would have about the bars was that we didn't see many wait staff bringing drinks to the people on the beach. You usually had to go get your own but the walk wasn't very far. They do only serve Red Stripe or Red Stripe Light for beer but had a pretty good selection of hard liquor but no spiced rum.

The beach itself was amazing. The sand was great and every morning they did a great job of cleaning off the seaweed that washed up at night. The water was so clear and clean. There were some vendors selling cigars, cigarettes, clothing and rentals of jet skis. If you told them you weren't interested they would leave you alone. There seemed to be plenty of lounge chairs but we usually went out after breakfast and claimed a spot under a few trees to have some shade if we wanted it. I don't think anyone went without a chair. We did walk to the clothing optional beach one evening and would say that the beach on that side was not very good. It was quite rocky. The main beach was definitely better.

There were daily trips snorkeling and scuba diving. Snorkeling was included and if you were a certified diver it was free as well and included equipment. We had to take a class since we were not certified and Donovan was an excellent instructor. It was a $70 charge for the class that lasted about an hour and then we were right out in the boat for our first trip. I had a little trouble on my first dive (I panicked under water) and Donovan was right there to help me and get me back to the surface. I din't get the dive master's name during our second dive but he stuck by me and made sure everything was ok and I made for an amazing dive. They were a little lacking in daily activities on the beach but Renee, who was in charge of volleyball and a few other activities, was always out trying to stir up a game.

The only complaint I would have about this resort is that I didn't have much of a night life. Granted I didn't make it to the disco club but that is about all they had. It did make it a quieter place to stay if that is something you are looking for but I was hoping for more excitement at night. By no means does that detract from the resort. Each resort has its own style of night life and we now know what this one is like.

All in all I had a very fun trip and enjoyed this resort very much and I would go back again. It was nice not having to carry around cash for tips as that was included. Other reviewers stated they felt they didn't get the same service if they didn't tip but I don't recall seeing anyone tip at the bars, restaurants or the buffets. I did tip the bell hops and cleaning staff.

The only reason I didn't give 5 stars is because it is honestly hard for any place to be perfect and they do have a few things that need some work but it would not deter me from returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the lower level so you can walk right out of the room 30 feet to the beach. Seemed...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Norfolk VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This review would have been posted sooner but we returned to the resort so soon that TA would not let us post another review about the hotel since it had been less than 3 months. It was always a goal for me to visit a resort I love and come right back in a month or two to visit again. The staff at the resort was happy to see us a again and made us feel right at home. My wife and I stayed on the clothing optional side and had a blast! This is the most private area in Jamaica in my opinion, you can stay nude the whole time on the cove and no one treats you like a freak or outcast. I have a dear friends from Canada that I still stay in touch with today! The food is pretty good but nothing that will blow you away.Try some local food PLEASE! Best of the West or Sweet Spice will blow you taste buds away! The entertainment is very dull at night but after drinking booze all day on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world makes me very tired and don't worry about this to much. If you want a party walk across the street to HEDO and you will have a good time. The beach here is to die for, enough said on that. I love to gamble but nothing but a bunch of old rusted slot machines to play. Save your money for a real casino. If you love the a perfect beach and cool people to hang out with this is the resort for you.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Moncton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We returned this morning from three days at Breezes Grand Negril, following a two week stay at another property in Negril. We arrived after the sale of Breezes had permeated the property so there were a lot of rumors circulating by other guests. I don't like rumors so spoke directly to the representative on site for Sunwing and encourage any future guests to do likewise if you want to know what is taking place here.

Though brief, our visit was relaxing and enjoyable. As always, the food was exceptional - we dined in both the Grand Cafe and the French restaurant - and both meals were stellar. We were pleased to see Michael in the French Restaurant and are happy to know he is becoming comfortable in all areas of the restaurants ... a future Manager, no doubt!! Tannif ensured our stay was comfortable and that we had what we needed. She is a true professional and will be a strong support and great asset for the new ownership.

Though short, we felt as if we were "home" when we entered the property and we can't wait to return.

We were very disappointed that Gloria Hall is no longer working security here. Gloria was a wonderful addition to this property and made EVERY guest feel special. She knew everyone by name and was the best guard on the 7-mile beach. How sad that she has been moved elsewhere. The new security on site during our stay kept to themselves and barely spoke ...

Thank you, Breezes, for yet another lovely visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Lido Negril? Share your experiences!