“Spectacular Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Lido Negril

Save Saved
You added Grand Lido Negril to your Saves list
Grand Lido Negril
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd, PO Box 88, Negril, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Grand Resort & Spa Negril All Inclusive)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #46 of 91 hotels in Negril
New York City, New York
“Spectacular Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Just spent a week at Breezes Grand Negril which was too short. From the moment you arrive you are treated like gold. A staff member provides you with a cool towel and a cold tropical drink. Check in was quick and easy. We were in the room in no time. The grounds and beaches were pristine. There was something for everybody to do or if you wished, you could do nothing. I was especially impressed with the resort manager, Mr. John MacIntosh. He was always around making sure things were running smoothly. He made himself available at all times. Some people expressed minor complaints to him. They were rectified immediately. No waiting at all. His professionalism was quite note worthy. In the event he was off property, there was another manager there to assist in anyway. Personally, I found this to be one of the better places I have been. I do attribute the majority of that to Mr. MacIntosh and his staff. They were on top of all aspects of the resort. If you do go...look Mr. Mac up and say hello. If you don't he will find you at a meal and say hello.

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw we're clean and nice. Just the views were different.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

2,241 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
Troy, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Very disappointed.
This was not our first time to a Breezes/Superclub resort. We had gone to Breezes Runaway Bay and we liked it so much we even got married there a couple years after. We took this trip to Negril for relaxation and fun with hopes the resort would be just as good if not better than the runaway bay resort. We were very nervous b/c we did hear the resort had been sold or was in the process of being sold. Our travel agent advised us that everything would be still kept up to the Breezes standards. It was not. It started when we first arrived with our room.

We did not get the room we requested. We wanted a shower on the c/o side not the Jacuzzi tub shower combo (death trap/fall hazard). They gave us a room with the Jacuzzi tub shower combo and told us there were no shower on the clothing optional side. This we found out was not true the following day b/c one of the guests had a shower and was also on the c/o side. We asked the front desk to move the next day and were moved to a room with a shower. The showers are so much better than the Jacuzzi/shower combo. It is a danger to have to climb the stairs into the bathtub and climb back out.

Our next issue was with the towels. The first night we had no towels in the room and we had to ask 5x to get towels. Even when we switched rooms there were no towels in that room either! The resort stated they were having a linen problem. We found a housekeeping cart and just took some towels and stashed them just in case we couldn’t get any. The first morning I noticed we didn’t even have shampoo. I walked out of the room found a housekeeper who gave me a ½ used bottle of shampoo. I didn’t think I needed to bring shampoo to this resort! Our last night we had to ask for towels at 11pm so we could have towels to shower in the morning as housekeeping did not get them to us. It was ridiculous how hard it was to get towels even the gym and beach area had a shortage of beach towels.

The food is not great. You can eat better and for less money at a fast food place. Buffet food was very bland and dry. Only a few things on their breakfast and lunch buffet menu were good to eat, bacon, omelets, banana bread and vegetables. Lamb chops on the c/o side according to my husband were very good. What we also found disappointing was the buffet was only open Monday and Friday evenings. The rest of the time it was closed and supplemented with the restaurants. What if you didn’t want to get dressed and just have a casual buffet dinner? Well you couldn’t b/c it was closed. You were forced to choose btwn the restaurants. The Grand Café had good food. I really enjoyed their soup and vegetables with rice. The pasta restaurant not so good. The Japanese was okay. The French was very disappointing. How can you have a French restaurant and run out of red wine?! Yes they ran out of red wine!!! The crème bruelle was very sad. It had a flan consistency and it appeared the eggs had scrambled due to not making the dessert properly.

Entertainment was nonexistent. if you are young at heart or in your 30’s I would skip this resort. Both pools close early. The c/o pool bar/café closes at 6pm. You can still use the pool but if you want to get a drink or food you have to get out of the pool, put clothes on, and walk to get what you need. We just couldn’t believe how quiet the evenings got. Even the small entertainment they offered at the resort in the evening was not that great. They had day time activities which were planned that never took place. Twice we wanted to do the body painting and twice we had gone to the place it was to be held and it was not held. It really felt like this place was geared to a 55 and older crowd. We were considering moving next door to Hedo 2 b/c of the lack of night life, but i had gotten really sick and couldn’t switch.

I don’t know if It was food/drinks from the resort that got me ill, but I had to have the doctor come due to vomiting for 12 straight hours. I had to receive IV liquids due to dehydration. My husband’s stomach was also bothering him but didn’t have anything as bad as I had. On the plus side the nurse and on call doctor really took care of me.

The rooms were okay. Yes they are outdated but they were pretty good for our standards. The grounds of the resorts are really nice. The pools are on the small side, but the beach area (c/o small) is beautiful. I loved the views.

We have traveled to a number of places and we have never experienced the poor service/ quality we have experienced here. We really expected a little better service and quality. It upsets me b/c we paid a lot of money to stay at this resort. Since we booked through a travel agent we got a group rate but it was still fairly expensive and we felt we did not get our money’s worth. This is the first vacation where we couldn’t wait to just get back to the USA.

We did complain to the resort and they did state they would refund us back one evening. I hope they do. I do not really trust them right now so I’m hoping they keep their word and credit us at least one evening.

Room Tip: Get a room with a shower. The ones with the jacuzzi's are a falling hazard!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brantford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

What can I say about Breezes Grand?! My wife and I started coming to this resort 5 years ago when it was still Grand Lido Negril and we fell in love from the start. We've been there every February since, including our wedding at Breezes Grand in February 2011, and the thing that brings us back the most is the home feel you get each time you visit. The staff are so welcoming, and almost make you feel like family. We look forward to seeing the same familiar faces every time we go back. Just to mention a few of the best, Michael in food services is exceptional and very helpful every morning at breakfast. Tannif had to be the world's best wedding co-ordinator, and will help you with anything you need. Sheryl is an amazing woman - she even sat down to have breakfast with us a couple times and she was very entertaining. Behind the bar, what can you say about Shayne (Chris Rock)? He's a very down-to-earth kind of guy with a fantastic personality. Cleon and Dwight were also terrific. And at the beach bar, my wife thought Rohan was a sweetheart - always courteous and smiling.
For those who've never been there, what makes the place terrific is the down-home feel, the excellent food and the gorgeous beach. I still scratch my head when I read reviews about the 'terrible' food and the 'unfriendly staff' - I'm not sure where some of these people eat or what kind of personalities they must have, but if you go to the islands with a smile and the thought of enjoying yourself, I'm not sure how people couldn't enjoy themselves and be treated with warmth and kindness. It truly is what you make of it, and if you're willing to make the most of it then this resort is a tremendous experience. My wife and I are already booked for round 5 in February and our 2nd anniversary, and we're looking forward to seeing all our great friends again :)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Understand that we arrived at the property at the tail end of Sandy and the week of the presidiential election. Hence the resort was very quiet as were the others around us. This had some pluses and minuses. Seems that activities and services were cut back to accommodate the low occupancy and maybe hope for some cost savings in the long run.

The property location was great. At the end of the beach with the nicest sand and view however you can tell the property is in need of TLC or was missing a little bit of that extra that you would expect at an Adult resort. In short, the following.

- No towels in room at arrival. Called 3 times and eventually had to visit the desk to get the message across that we had travelled all morning and was waiting to shower still at 7pm
- Minibar in room was bleak. 2 pops and 2 beers. Sometimes you get bottled water. I've been to a Breezes once before about 8-10 years ago and we got a whole lot more then.
- Activities/entertainment were bleak in low occupancy. Seems as soon as the excitement was just starting, the entertainment closed up and went home. ie. Showtime, Piano bar etc...
- Our room was good but bathroom a little left to be desired. The jacuzzi tub had been caulked to death and caulking full of mold as some of the tiles. The shower hear rusty.
- Although not the hotel's responsibility, we did a Best of Jamaica tour where we were to be on a catamaran but was on a fishing boat, was to eat at a buffet but got table served and was to go snorkling however cut short as me, a friend and another got stung more than 3 times each by jelly fish. Man, how painful. On the plus side, friend got good medical attention at resort.

The positive, friendly staff, food was good although Japanese extremely salty. We liked that we weren't over crowded or in a monster of a place and felt more intimate. Hopefully Breezes can step it up again to what I remember but will not likely be back to the brand or location for a while. Too much else to discover out there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Our trip to Breezes was scheduled for the day the hurricane Sandy hit. The hotel was more than easy to work with. They rescheduled our reservation so we wouldn't get there until after the storm crossed the island and extended our time an additional day. Every staff member we met was upbeat, cheerful, and professional when we would meet them. Just to mention a few; Leroy, a grounds keeper was always friendly. Sherice, who kept the drinks flowing at the beach bar. Dane, in La Pasta for taking ownership and providing the kind of service you expect. Doshane, always at the breakfast buffet with a smile.

We found the food to be excellent in taste, flavor and presentation. The beach party and gala events were outstanding. There was a steel drum band that was the highlight of the entertainment. The bars were fully stocked with top shelf brands and the drinks were generous.

The room was adequate, cleaned daily, and the refrigerator was restocked with drinks we asked for. There was plenty of hot water and the power never was off.

The beaches were being cleaned of the seaweed that had washed up as a result of the storm and our impression was that management brought in additional help to get things done as quickly as possible. The pools and hot tub were tested and cleaned every day.

Recommending this hotel is easy. This was our second trip and we’ll certainly return.

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room in the place.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed at Breezes Grand Negril Oct. 25-Nov. 4. Because we were scheduled to arrive at Breezes on Oct. 24, the day Hurricane Sandy hit Jamaica, we needed to move our reservation back a day, and the Breezes reservations desk was more than cooperative in helping us do that. This was our second stay at this resort, and we enjoyed it every bit as much as our first visit. The rooms are somewhat dated, but very clean. We had no interruption of power or hot water during our stay. Our in-room refrigerator was stocked daily. Maid service was perfect. Air conditioning was cool and unfailing.

The beach was beautiful! Bloody Bay is a long stretch of fine sand and gorgeous blue water. There are more than enough loungers on the Breezes beach with shade provided by palm trees. The loungers have thick pads that really make your day on the beach more comfortable. Towels are available at the Sports Center or at the c/o pool. The guys at the Sports Center will take you for a ride on one of their Hobie Cats. Lots of other activities available too, i.e. glass bottom boat, snorkeling, scuba, jet skis, and parasailing. (Not all of these are free, but are available.) A few days after we arrived, the beach was besieged by loads of seaweed from the hurricane. Breezes was on the job with bulldozers working, even at night, as well as manual laborers scooping up the seaweed. They were doing everything possible to keep it under control. Our beach looked much better and more inviting than the other resorts on Bloody Bay. Within a few days, things were back to normal.

Food/Entertainment: Lots to choose from at breakfast. There were two omelet stations as well as made-to-order waffles. Fruit, yogurt, cereal, breads, pastries, potatoes, sausage, bacon, French toast, etc. Service was efficient and friendly. A special thanks to Doshane for his friendly smile and attentive service. The lunch buffet was very good as well. Quite a variety…and there was a pasta chef as well as someone making made-to-order wraps. The Gala and Beach Party nights were fun. So much food and a great variety! The night they had the beach party, the entertainment was the Island Steel Drummers, and they were excellent! Very talented and entertaining. Our favorite restaurant was and is still La Pasta. Delicious Italian food. Dane was there on our first stay at Breezes, and we were happy to see him still there, friendly, courteous and accommodating. The Japanese restaurant was fun too, and the food was very good. We were happy to be able to get some of those delicious lamb chops at the Reggae Café this year…don’t think they were available at this restaurant on our last visit. It’s a great place to sit outdoors and enjoy a casual meal and drinks. At the Grand Café, the menu was different every night, and we enjoyed our meals the two nights we ate there. Special thanks to Sherice and Derrick at the c/o bar and grill. It was good to see their familiar faces when we returned. They do such a superb job, and always with a friendly smile. Of course, our thanks to Gloria and the other security guards as well as Leroy and the other groundskeepers. Everyone was friendly and offered their assistance.

It was a pleasure to spend some time at this resort. We are planning yet another stay here in the very near future. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I got married at Breezes Grand Negril and I must say it was amazing. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, I felt fantastic there. Everyone was so wonderful. The staff did everything to make my time there and my wedding as beautiful as can be. Tannif, the wedding coordinator, did not miss a beat. She was with me from the very start to the finish. She did everyting to make my day wonderful. After our wedding, we were getting compliments from other guest about how beautiful our wedding was. I have to thank Breezes for that. The entire time we were there, we enjoyed their wonderful water sports, excellent foods and amazing drinks. I cannot wait to return. I've been telling everyone I know back home about our wonderful trip. =)

Room Tip: All of the rooms are excellent!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Lido Negril? Share your experiences!