“Good Value for the price, but not a 4 or 5 star resort” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Lido Negril

You added Grand Lido Negril to your Saves list
Grand Lido Negril
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Grand Resort & Spa Negril All Inclusive)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #42 of 90 Hotels in Negril
New York, NY
“Good Value for the price, but not a 4 or 5 star resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

I was overall very pleased with my 4 night stay at the Grand Lido Negril. Transfer from Montego Bay was smooth, as was check in. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with cocktails and got to relax in the lobby while everything was taken care of for us. Our room was far from the main area, near the clothing optional beach, but the view was excellent and I liked the seclusion. Also the rooms on the clothing optional side are much further from the main road so they are quieter.

The room was fine - bed was comfortable, good pillows and such. However it was very musty and damp and no matter what we did we could not get rid of the musty feeling. Housekeeping was great, no complaints there. Room service was also good - a little late one morning with our breakfast but we weren't in a hurry anyway.

Watersports staff was excellent, we went waterskiing, sailing, snorkeling and enjoyed all of it. I was really pleased that all the watersports were included for no extra charge - you don't always see that at an all-inclusive.

Food - this was definitely uneven. I thought the buffet at breakfast and lunch had a good variety. the fruit was super fresh and delicious. The food at the Italian restaurant, La Pasta, however, was horrendous. Just awful. Not even close to even an Olive Garden. Food at the Jamaica place was good though, and decent at Cafe Lido as well. We didn't try the French place or the Japanese place though so I can't speak to the food quality there.

Service overall was good. I am female and was traveling with a another female friend and some of the male staff definitely made us uncomfortable but I think that would have been the same anywhere.

Spa - the spa was great. my friend and I each got a beachside massage which was amazing. Loved it.

Entertainment - nothing special. We usually ate a late dinner and then went to bed - the "nightclub" looked like an 80's prom and smelled funky so we did not spend any time there.

Bar - service was pretty good but often took some time - they made most of the frozen drinks from scratch so that could take a while. The Chocolate Monkey was delicious and we drank lots of those! wine and champagne was not special so we stuck to mixed drinks.

The grounds were beautiful and very well maintained. There was security roaming around at all times and I felt very safe.

Overall, it was a nice resort that is showing its age (almost 20 years now) - rooms could stand to be renovated, and the food is definitely not 4 or 5 star caliber. That being said, we had a lovely time there, and I thought it was a good value for the money. Also I LOVED that there were no kids!!

• Liked — Beach, views, watesports, service, spa
  • Disliked — Musty rooms, food
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
montreal, quebec
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2008

Have been going to this resort for 7 years generally staying 6 to 7 weeks at a time. We have seen a steady decline in quality of food and deterioration of premises. The only saving grace is the excellence of employees who are steadily abondoning this hotel for more respect.Sad to see the decline of such a once fabulous destination.Do not be fooled into thinking this is any way close to 5 stars. That ship has sailed.The pool deck is literally cracking. The entertainment stage has injured guests who fell through rotting wood. Difficult to have basic necessities replaced on a daily basis( soap, shampoo,towels). Good luck finding lounge chairs or towels with a full house

Stayed February 2008
North Yorkshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2008

This hotel appears to receive a very mixed set of reviews. Let me set the picture - I am hard to please! and known for finding fault no matter how small.

This hotel I could not find fault with, Yes, it is 15 years old, it is not the contemporary chic of some newer hotels, but they get everything right!

I am not going to make this too lengthy and will try to stick to facts!

Rooms
We had an Ocean View Room at the CO side of the hotel, I travelled with a friend and we both had no intention of using the CO beach, however I was glad we were at that side. Room was clean, large, nice LCD TV, only downside was the size of the balcony (1st floor) but we got over that.

All the food we experienced was fantastic. We didn’t make the French due to me not taking relevant clothing however the hotel would lend you a jacket! The Cafe Lido was lovely, with waiter service. It was as good as you would pay for but no bill at the end! The Japanese was my favourite for the entertainment factor, it also encourages you to meet other guests due to the layout. Breakfast we mainly took room service which was fantastic, room service in general is excellent you can even get it delivered to the beach!!! (yes we did once) You can also order drinks (champagne too) to your room!

Nightlife
Was slow, but pleasant. The nightclub is a good place to have a dance and a laugh with the other guests and we had a great time dancing with the staff.

Beach
Super - take a walk all the way around past the other hotels and praise yourself for choosing the Grand Lido

Staff
No complaints all very nice and cant do enough for you!

Must Do's
Take advantage of the free manicure and pedicure
Order room service to the beach - just the once it feels great
After you have had a meal, and maybe a dance then hit the hot tub under the stars.. the Stonehouse was nice!
Have a nap in the hammocks under the shade of the palm trees!
Go to ricks Cafe it’s a great couple of hours

All in all a lovely holiday. Do not book with Thomas Cook/Airtours/MyTravel as the service was shocking along with the flight but that is another storey. So in summary i would say due to it being 15 years old they have ironed out every issue and allows you to enjoy a great holiday, great food and lots of drinks!

Enjoy!

• Liked — Large Rooms
  • Disliked — Small Balcony
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2008

This was our first trip to Jamaica and we had some good and bad exp. while we were there. Folks had warned us about the living conditions and how poor the folks are but that didn't bother me b/c many of the huts are no worse than areas in the backwoods of Arkansas. If this is your first trip here do not expect The Westin or Ritz, much more on a Hotel 6 level.

Make sure you check your safe as a few of us had problems with it locking. And do not leave any money anywhere else in the room. My wife had $120 stolen from a coin purse that was inside 3 other zipped bags. We had our shower fixed and we believe that is when the theft occured. The most frustrating part is that management didn't care and did all they could to blow us off and basically called me a liar. I don't take well to being offended and for being in the hospitality business they need to learn the definition of hospitality.

Food at the main rest was good, but the buffets were just so-so in our opinion. It's not like I went on vaca to eat all day and get fat so the food really didn't bother me much.

Beach was very nice and b/c the resort was not completely full when we were there we always had plenty of chairs. Even on the days we slept in we still got a lounger on the beach or at the pool The pools are pretty lame and all the pool activities are on the c/o side. No thanks to white rears jumping in my face.

Drinks were aplenty but I'd recommend tipping at least one server during each shift at the bar(s) you frequent b/c you will get much better service. 95% of the employees were very friendly, some of them were a bit too young to IMO and there lack of exp showed in their attitudes.

Spa was OK. Overpriced compared to what I'm accustomed to, but it was a relaxing hour on the ocean front.

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — rooms & management attitude
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2008

This is not a "real" 5 stars.
good things: room service, room location (close to the beach), includes activities like snorkling, sailing, ski etc..., nice beach

why it's not a five star: lack of chairs, small pool, lack of towel, rooms need to be updated. very average buffet, too repetitive. no activities at night, at all. No live musinc after 10 in the lobby bar.

Overall, if I would pay for a 4 stars I would have been happy.

• Liked — room location
  • Disliked — buffet
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2008

pretty nice, relaxing stay. Not very luxurious maybe 3* out of 5. Little problen with ants in the bathroom, and air conditioning didn't get very cold. Prob about 75 the whole time. Food good, drinks good. Nothing outstanding. Found this resort better then some of the Sandals. Over 2 hours from airport. we knew this upon booking. Next time I will book a resort closer to the airport. Didn't venture out, because town seemed unsafe. We did like the yaght cruise and the sunfish. Our room was 1st floor, walk out to the beach. I will not return to Jamaica, many other Carribean islands I would rather explore.

• Stayed June 2005
St. Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2008

We booked our trip in December at the advice of our travel agent and then began reading the reviews on TripAdvisor, some of which were really bad. I called my travel agent and she assured me we would have a wonderful time.

Our room was on the c/o side and about 25 feet from the water. We had a one-bedroom suite and our deck was larger than the junior suite. Our bed was comfortable; we found the room large and the mini-bar adequate. The view from your room/deck was wonderful. The Monday night party on the beach was great. Jamaican drum band and the food was great. Tuesday we renewed our vows; Sophia did an excellent job and we were most pleased with the ceremony. My flowers were ivory and beautiful. The wedding cake was a disappointment. It looked beautiful, but under the frosting was a spice cake. We ate at the French restaurant on Tuesday and it was wonderful. The amount of food for each course was small.

Wednesday we ate at Munasan. We were the only ones at our table; not sure why reservations were needed. We would not eat there again. The ham and cheese sandwhich which can be ordered at the Stone House and from room service was so good. The chicken from room service was also wonderful.

Our room was clean and the a/c unit worked well. The a/c unit looked new. We ordered room service in the morning and loved the Blue Mountain Coffee. The gym was open 24 hours a day and certainly met our needs. The pool was never crowded as the beach is the fantastic and that is where most people wanted to be; most people staked out a beach chair early in the morning.

Some of the negative things: No hot water in the evenings and the tub/shower was hard to get into and out of. On Thursday, there were flies on the food at the buffet. Please note that most the rooms was been updated and have a great shower, but you need to request the shower rooms. You cannot actually see the sun set in the ocean from the resort.

The positives far out weight the negatives. My husband and I will hopefully be able to return to GLN.

• Liked — Very relaxing; Food; beach
  • Disliked — bathroom; tub
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Grand Lido Negril? Share your experiences!