“Had a fabulous Thanksgiving week at Grand Lido” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Lido Negril

You added Grand Lido Negril to your Saves list
Grand Lido Negril
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica (Formerly Breezes Grand Resort & Spa Negril All Inclusive)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #40 of 90 Hotels in Negril
St.Louis, Missouri
“Had a fabulous Thanksgiving week at Grand Lido”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2007

Thanksgiving on the beach was a first for us. Our flight to Montego Bay and our bus ride to Grand Lido Negril were uneventful. Not much road traffic in JA on a Sunday.

THE ROOM:
When we arrived at approx 1pm, our room was not ready so it was suggested that we have lunch and come back. We did just that and when we returned we were escorted to our room. One of the easiest check-in's ever. The room was nice but nothing special. The new addition was a plasma TV on the wall, some poeple will like this, I don't find much time to watch TV while vacationing in the tropics. The room was clean, right on the water's edge as requested. The multi head shower is wonderful.

This is a beautiful resort with a lot of character. The balcony's are very small, and the resort could use some general updating.

THE BEACH
The regular beach is magnificant with white powder sand, and the water sports staff are more than eager to assist you. We were taken out on one of the mini catamaran's for a delightful sail over to Booby Cay. The C/O beach is a little more rocky, however there are clear sandy patches to get you access into the bay. It is very private and quaint and we napped more than once under a tree, very relaxing.

THE FOOD
We found the food at the French, Italian, and Lido Cafe to be supurb. All three exceeded our expectations. On the other hand, the buffet was only average at best. Did not eat at the Japaneese or the Raggae Cafe. We only ordered room service once and that was for breakfast. It was just OK. We did go to the C/O pool several mornings for fresh coffee, juice, and breakfast rolls. They only set up a limited amount and tended to run out too quickly and no one replenished them.

THE STAFF
I found the staff to be generally delightful and eager to please with only minor exception. John Wayne at the main bar wins my award for the most pleasant staff member who was always smiling and eager to assist. It just made me happy to be around him. The entertainment staff was almost invisible. We started our own pool volly ball game at the C/O pool one day and other guests commented on how much fun it was. We spent most of our time on the C/O side and it is just very laid back and peaceful.

SUMMARY
All in all, the resort has a lot of charm and the grounds are beautiful. The rooms are adequate and could use a little updating but how much time does one spend in the room. Not much night life but you could leave the resort if you were so inclined. We tended to go to bed early and get up early so as not to miss much of the daylight hours as the sun sets so early in late November. A delightful week was had in beautiful Jamaica.

• Liked — Beautiful resort, very relaxing.
  • Disliked — tiny balcony
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
Washington State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2007

We arrived at the resort early afternoon. It did take a while for our luggage to show up in our room but the other couple we were traveling with got theres right away. We stayed in the one bedroom suites with the living rooms. We were on the second floor but our friends had the bottom floor and we walked right out to the beach on the C/O side. It was the best location.
Food was good. Lots to choose from. Service was a little slow some times, but hey you are on vacation..............
Entertainment was a blast even though some nights we were the entertainment. Togo night was a blast. We missed PJ night.
Every night they had something planned.
Drinks were of plenty................
Maid service was ok up stairs but it seemed the down stairs was cleaned better then ours.
We took a Catamran from Hedo II and had a great time. We took a cab to Rick's and had a nice dinner and watched an amazing sun set.
We walked the whole beach and seen all the other resorts and thought ours was better then what we saw. Definitely look at the locals stuff. You can bargain with them. Don't pay full price.
We met the management and they were pleasant. Invited us back any time and new us by name!
The best part was the people that we met and will continue to stay in touch with.
I would have to say I loved Tanya entatianment gal and Robert the chef on the C/O side. Oh yeh Cheldon the bartender at the main bar. I like Captain Morgan rum and they didn't have it so he came up with something that tasted just like it. Berry Hill and White rum!
Oh and don't let me forget about the room service. They would deliver right to our lawn chairs any time we wanted. They did run out of a few things late at night.
The bugs were bad. They ate my husband up really bad!
Grand lido was a great resort for us. And yes we would go back.
One last thing the massage's (I had 4) were great. Have them on the C/O side out by the water.
In close, if you are looking for a nice relaxing time please give Grand Lido a try.

• Liked — The resort was great!
  • Disliked — Getting our luggage in a timely manner.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Northern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2007

I recently returned from a week at the resort. I had a wonderful time. I heard complaints from other visitors that they could not water ski, the boat was out of gas, the boat didn't work etc. But after they spoke to the watersports manager the boat worked! The food was good, the drinks were great! The staff (for the most part) was great. The turn down service was nice. Nicola in reservations was very helpful. The only complaint that I had was I had asked for a room that was not on the ground floor, and that is what I received. I was unable to change rooms. I spent a day at the spa and that was wonderful!

Stayed December 2007
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2007

My wife and I visited Grand Lido Negril for the first time this month and just loved it! We were placed on the C/O side and that turned out to be a major plus for us. It is the nicest part of the resort. We decided to go with the flow and to enjoy being naked with others in a gorgeous place with that soft warm air and water. Some others remained clothed and that never mattered either. Though it was a first time for us, and we are no longer young, being nude was very (instantly) comfortable, natural, and incredibly relaxing. We also found it to be far more social and we met many people who we really enjoyed. The people there were friendly but never intrusive at all. The demographic was mostly older when we arrived but got younger through the week as rooms turned over, not that it mattered. It seemed to us that with nothing hidden how people looked was if anything less of an issue than it is at beaches where all wear bathing suits. We found that many of the people we met were repeat visitors, some a great many times. And most started like us, loved it and keep coming back.

Our room was not perfect but was very nice, with a great view of the large trees and bay. The facilites were so convenient, with the bar, grill (great lunch!), small pool, jacuzzi, and small but nice beach all right together outside our building. 24 hour room service was great as was the fact that it could be delivered poolside or to the beach.

it was rather quiet at night (fine with us) though there was some excellent entertainment, especially the drummers/dancers, who were fabulous. We enjoyed almost all of the food, though lunch in the main buffet area was not always consistant. We especially loved the Japanese and Reggie Cafe restuarants. The drinks were great and there were plenty of very good high-end brands available at almost all the bars we visited. Nice tennis program too, and beautiful grounds.

The fitness center was the only disappointment, as there was little cardio equipment and what there was was not in good repair.

We will certainly return.

• Liked — The beach, atmosphere, weather, people we met , and nice staff. Couples massage too!
  • Disliked — nothing really
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2007

I'll try and keep this concise...but basically our trip was amazing!

Airport - No problems landing in MoBay and getting through customs. We only waited about 10 minutes for our shuttle to the resort. Nice bus, nice beer stop!

Overall resort - I thought the resort was beautiful. It is a little old, but in great shape. Our room had a sitting area and a nice balcony. We were overlooking the clothing-optional area, which was not our choice, but it wasn't that bad. The watersports were great. Andre took us out on the catamaran one day and we really enjoyed that. All of the staff we warm, inviting and accomodating. They say no tipping, but a little green goes a long way. Plus, we like to show people that go above and beyond that they are appreciated. I wasn't crazy about the food, but that is just my personal taste. I like the seafood pasta at La Pasta and I did have some good fish at Cafe Lido. I am not a big fan of buffetts in general.

Excursions - we did the canopy tour (zipline through the jungle) and an ocean safari (2 people per small boat zipping around in the ocean and some short snorkling). Both were booked with Chukka tours. We really enjoyed both of them and the staff as well!

Overall - We had a wonderful, romantic, restful honeymoon! The resort was perfect for what we wanted and the staff was icing on the cake. I would definitely go back to Grand Lido and the Negril area!

Odenton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2007

I don't know what the people who are complaining about this resort are talking about?!! Some people are just complainers and nothing really makes them happy. They would find fault with something.
But let me tell you truthfully, the resort is older and is just showing signs of wear. But I still think it is a great place to stay.
As for the staff, most of them are wonderful. And the ones who look like they aren't, really are, you just have to be friendly to them and they are friendly right back and treat you like royalty afterwards. Remember to wear a smile and people will smile back and if they don't just keep on smiling, eventually it will catch on.
Enough philosophy. Anyway, if you are looking for a relaxing vacation, then this is the place for you. Especially the clothing optional side. Just don't be so uptight about nakedness and enjoy the ocean breeze and palm trees.
Just check out my pics and you'll see what I"m talking about.
As for the age factor, I saw a very good mix of young and old. Actually, the CO side is mostly a middle age crowd and the prude side is younger. A lot of young couples actually, many more younger than older, so I don't know what that person is talking about. But the resort is certainly not a party place. I do think it could get a bit boring for younger people, unless the disco is fun at night. I don't know because I never went.
The food is good, not the best but very good and enjoyable. I happen to love the French restaurant, the Japanese left a lot to be desired. The sushi was good but the hibachi tables were just okay.
I"ve had some lovely rooms at this hotel and some that I asked to be moved from, so they vary. I like the CO side because most of the rooms are right on the beach and it is quite and lovely.

I don't know what the person is talking about the sunset cruise on the Zein?? Is that the yacht they used to have at this hotel that hasn't been around for years? When did you write that review?

Overall, this is my favorite resort for the staff, rooms on the beach, food and peace and quite. I have a stressful job and like to have the ocean and beach right outside my room. It is magical. We had our own private corona commercial sitting on our patio loungers.
We also did the catamaran cruise they have on tuesday and fridays and it was fun. But to tell you the truth, you can go out on their boat for "free" snorkeling and it is just as much fun.

Try GLN once and see for yourself.

• Liked — Right on the beach
  • Disliked — Showing wear.
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2007

GLN was fun.
Positives/negatives
1. The regular beach is wide and beautiful. The c/o beach is narrow, shady, rocky and boring. The pools are old, small and rundown.
2. The watersports were great with waterskiing, scuba, sailing and snorkeling all included. The sailboats are run down as is the dive boat. Other hotels on the same beach had better equipment.
3. The Buffet food was excellent. The sit down restaurant food was fair to poor. The French restaurant was really contrived and had poor food. The Japanese restaurant was better but truly average at best.
4. The room was fine and as expected, probably a three star rating if in the US. The whole facility is older and showing its age. The grounds are beautiful and well kept.
5. The majority of the guests were over 65 years old. Many were fun, but GLN is not the place to go if you are around 30 and expecting many others your age (at least the first week of Dec).
6. The resort is quiet at night. The entertainment was really good but sparsely attended.
7. The service culture/attitude of the resort staff was highly variable. Some staff were down right rude and others worked hard to provide a great vacation to the guests. Management needs to work on this.
8. Negril is pretty much of a nothing town. A few craft fairs and not much else. The West End is neat. We had great food at the Rockhouse.

We probably will not return but we did have a fun time.

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Grand Lido Negril? Share your experiences!