“What to expect at Hedonism II” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hedonism II

Save Saved
You added Hedonism II to your Saves list
Hedonism II
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Boulevard | PO Box 25, Negril, Jamaica (Formerly SuperClubs Hedonism II)   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
Summer Blowout Sale !!!
Ranked #35 of 91 hotels in Negril
Sudbury
“What to expect at Hedonism II”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

A naturist beach in Cuba was, and still is, my favorite spot when I simply want to rest for a few days. Lying on that beach, under the sun, naked, reading a good book at the sound of waves crashing on the shore, is almost as good and relaxing as having a massage. However, in February (between the 15th and the 22nd), there is a danger of a cold front wrecking your vacation. The risk is too great when all you have is a week off. So, you need to look more to the South. And, then, you find out what seems to be that crazy (LOL) place called “Hedonism II”.

Of course, the experience at Hedo is different, much more sexually explicit, to say the least. I was even a bit nervous after I made the choice to go there (no trip cancellation possible). This resort is mainly for couples and I was alone. But I thought that, at worst, I could isolate myself and enjoy the temperature.

The beach is not great at Hedo, even though significantly better on the part of the resort called the prude side. Water was always calm during my stay. Anyway, my preference, for swimming, was to go to the main pool (I like to swim every day). There is nobody in the middle of the afternoon. So you get the pool for yourself and can swim all you want, even naked, if that is your wish. A few excursions at sea are possible and seemed to be well appreciated by the guests.

The staff is fine, always polite, restrained, even when the guests break some rules. All are working hard, some in difficult conditions (heat and long hours). Tips are not allowed, at least officially. And this is a good policy. Otherwise, what is allowed becomes very fast like a condition to get a good service. However, you can always tip, discretely. I have done so at the end of my stay. But then, you really do it as a gratuity, from a sense of being grateful and appreciative of the hard work.

The evening shows are good, sometimes very good. One night, there was a group of dancers, beautiful and real athletes, who were performing accompanied by a trio of drummers playing djembes (West African Drums). I loved it.

Food is O.K. If you stay for more than 10 days, I suppose it becomes repetitive.

The resort never refuses a client, if it can. So the people in charge tend to overbook. What they do, then, is to send the unfortunate client to the next door resort for a night. Of course, to compensate, they upgrade you to a room on the “Au Natural side”, the most interesting part of the resort. And they give you some kind of voucher that allows you to spend an additional night on your next stay at the Hedo. However, I wonder how I can use it when I buy a package (plane and hotel) from a tour operator. To avoid this kind of problem (being moved to the next hotel), I have been told to come with an organized group, because they don’t separate the group.

The attitude you must entertain, while staying at Hedo, is to have fun. Be both a spectator and a participant. It is only possible if, at the same time, you get rid of all your inhibitions. “Don’t worry, be happy”, could be the theme song of the resort. So, don’t be afraid to make a fool of yourself (who cares?). For example, bring with you strange costumes, one for each evening theme, preferably sexy. I had so much fun doing so that I will continue to look around for specialty shops and new costumes. Your costumes can be reused in other resorts or during Halloween.

It may take a few days before you understand the informal codes of conduct between men and women. That being said, you could not be totally wrong if, when you’re approaching someone, daring to do what you would not do at home, you always remain kind and polite. And if you make a mistake, you apologize. As I am naturally clumsy, I apologize all the time with a smile.

It helps if you love people, generally, and not simply those of the sex you are attracted to, because the guests are generally an interesting bunch. If I had to guess, I would say 40%-50% are Americans, 20%-30% are Canadians, and the rest come from all over the world (Great Britain, France, Germany, Sweden, Russia, Italy, etc.). All social classes seem to be represented. Many are very bright individuals, with various life and working experiences. For my part, I like to travel and am interested by what is going on elsewhere and what people think. So, you learn a lot if you don’t stay in your little corner and speak to everybody, men and women alike. Anyway, most often, they come in pairs, like Adam and Eve, and as naked as the originals (LOL).

To my surprise, I returned home joyful, making more jokes than usual, but not so rested. I don’t know if I will go back to the Hedo resort. All depends of the conditions when the time comes! But my decision to go there, at least once, was certainly a good one.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

1,496 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Just returned from trip #28 since 1984 and dont know why i even went this last time, maybe because i couldnt believe how bad it had been and this past trip was the final straw.
Was hoping for some value this year but no luck. Seems that more doesnt work than does here.
The food is still famously bad,most ammenities are broken or simply unavailable, the place is mostly nudists/swingers mostly age 50 and up. Rooms are kept clean and thats it. Entertainment is bad,they will run out of your favoritie drink but Top shelf selections are limited anyway,basically people go for one reason and once you go, you'll know.
if you are unfortunate enough to book a trip when a "lifestyle" group pulls what they call a "takeover" 9every month)then you can expect to be shut out of whats left of the ammenties and basically not part of the "in" crowd. The ne management has announced and addition of adult "playrooms" whihc is a telltale sign of it going the way of a full blown swingers club in the not too distant future so I am planning next years trip elsewhere but will be following any developments at hedo closely as I would love to see it renovated back into what it once was,,at best that is going to take a while. The best part was the wonderful staff but new owners just fired most of the long time staff that kept us coming back even when there was no hot water or airconditioning.
This site is called is TripAdvisor and my honest and expert advice on this resort which i once loved and would no longer recommend to anyone, is to stay away for at least another year or two and see what changes will be made by the "new" management(actually the same exact person who let it decline to this state,look it up,thats a fact). Good Luck Hedo and Goodbye for now.

Room Tip: best advice anyone will ever give you is to spend you rmoney elsewhere,you get no value for your mon...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Richard Kevin L, General Manager at Hedonism II, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Negril Lover,

Hedonism II is grateful for the support of our many Loyal Repeat Guests such as yourself who return year after year, a 50%+ return rate is something to be valued and not taken for granted.
The new Ownership Group has many exciting plans that will revitalize the Resort and bring back the passion not only for our Past Guests but also for the many persons who were always curious to come and see what the Hedonism II experience was all about.
I encourage everyone, Repeat and Future Hedonists, to keep checking up on us regularly as these new plans unfold.

Regards,

Kevin Levee
Oshawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Our last trip to Hedo II was October 2012 and it was the worst trip we have ever experienced but if it wasn't for the wonderful management and staff at Hedo II, I truly believe our vacation would have been a whole lot worse. First, we arrive at Hedo II at lunch time and my husband proceeds to check us in while I go for drinks to start off our anniversary vacation. We are advised by Beverley/front desk that they don't have our reservation, we had to pay for that night with our credit card and she checks us in and upgrades us at no charge to oceanview, nude side for our entire vacation and assures us that she'll find out what the issue is first thing the following morning. The next morning she made numerous phone calls and found out the lack of reservation was caused by our tour provider not Hedo II but she was very apologetic anyway. When I told the Manager how helpful Beverley was and that day was our 21st Anniversary and what happened to us she gave us a complimentary couples massage for our trouble and again none of our problems were Hedo's fault. Most of the staff at Hedo are just like this, if you don't have a smile on your face, they ask if you are alright and if you need anything all you have to do is ask and they are more than willing to help. We have been to numerous 5 star, exotic, elegant resorts and the only nice thing about them is the food, sometimes, and the big room which you hardly spend any time in anyway, and the staff treat you like you are bothering them even when you generously tip them and you have to wait in line ups at impersonal front desks, restaurants and bars. My one week of vacation is too precious to me to waste any of it and not be happy. On the day before we were to come home, Hurricane Sandy hit Jamaica and we found out why the Jamaicans call the West End the Blessed End because we were very lucky. Hedo II didn't miss a thing, they had generators, lots of staff to take care of us, we had all our meals, drinks, maid service and entertainment, they made sure we were all safe and reassured us that they would do everything in their power to look after us and they did. These people had their own families and homes to worry about but they never complained about being there for us. When you get off your bus at Hedo II you are always greeted with "Welcome Home" and this is really a home away from home. We have been there 4 times and are hoping to go home again soon. We have always had a very clean room, good and plentiful food and drinks, enjoyed the daily raked and clean beach, pools and hot tub and have met lots of great people. Hedo II is an experience - enjoy the freedom of being nude if you choose to be, a lot more comfortable then sitting in a wet bathing suit all day, without anyone judging you, making new friends, even if you are not a lifestyler, which we haven't tried yet, and enjoy being an adult in a childfree environment where you can do whatever you like, such as making out with your husband in the nude pool, discreetly or not so discreetly and it's ok and encouraged. The age group at Hedo II is 40's to 60's for all the above reasons because we are all responsible, hard working, respectful adults at home so when we come to Hedo we can all be teenagers again. Life is too short not to try Hedo II, remember why you go on vacation and what you want out of it, besides a pretty room!!

Room Tip: You can walk from one end of Hedo to the other in about 10 mins so location of room isn't a prob...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
new york city
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I must send in a report regarding the worst vacation ever. The first 2 weeks of February at this resort was a nightmare!!! The hotel rooms are falling apart. The paint is peeling, cracks and holes in bathroom door, no hot water in shower and sink, plumbing is a joke - drip drip sink faucet. No blankets, you are expected to sleep under the bedspread (probably 15 years old). No clean bathroom towels for 3 days - no beach towels for 3 days. Most of the beach lounges are broken and very old. i could continue with more disasters - one more important item - when I spoke with General Manager, a fellow named Levee - he just shrugged his shoulders and said "yup" - whatever "yup" means. Is there such a rating as a minus 5 stars??

Dear GolfGal,

Very sorry to hear that your vacation was not as you expected. Please contact me at kevin.levee@superclubs.com to discuss further.

Regards,

Kevin Levee
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I will try my best to be as objective as possible:

The resort is very very worn out; I'm talking rooms, bathrooms, pipes, linen, towels tiles, paint....everything!

The food is edible at best. Italian restaurant is very bad, Japanese is OK.

Bar is acceptable with a fair selection of alcohol.

The staff is friendly in general. Entertainers are very professional and pull off a good show

Lots of competing weed salesmen by the shore.

Finally, the average age of guests is between 55 and 65.

Room Tip: There's no such thing as a good room! all rooms look the same and are equally worn out - the onl...
Fort Myers, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Not sure how or why anyone who has any travel experience could or would rate this more than one or two stars. We found that the food was surprisingly good though, especially considering it's all buffet food. Thank you, Chef Scott. Overall, our experience was very disappointing. I don't think most of the staff has any idea how important tourism is to their livlihood, nor do I think they have any understanding/value of the word hospitality. The service was consistently poor unless they smelled a tip coming. Our room and the resort was in DESPERATE need of upgrades and maintenance. Our bathroom was disgusting. The thermostat didn't work and after repeated attempts to get it fixed we gave up. Our tub was nasty and didn't drain, but they fixed that. The coffee pot was broken and they replaced it. We found that the bars were not sufficiently staffed, so more often than not we had to wait an unreasonable time for service. There is no drink or food service at all on the beach or at the pool. On one occasion we went out to the pool to sit for lunch and found that the table was full of breakfast dishes sitting there with leftover bacon & eggs. Come on!! We attempted to arrange a fishing charter through the resort and was cancelled on 3 times. Then just when we thought we were a "go" on the 4th attempt we got up at 5:00 and sat out front of the resort for an hour waiting. The charter service was a no show without even a call. Unbelievable! About half of the slot machines didn't work and most of the ones that did work would not accept paper currency because they are too old. Half the time there was no one present in the Casino area to change money for tokens either. Frustrating. The water slide is only open once a day at around 4:00 or 5:00 PM. Most of the gym equipment didn't work. Only one treadmill was operating correctly. We have been informed that the resort has a new owner, but has not taken over yet. Understandably, there would be some things lacking due the the transition. However... that fact should be transparent to any guest and shame on the former owners for allowing this resort be in such a state of disrepair. They have been neglecting this property for years and it shows!! We could go on and on, but I think we hit the big items already. Suffice it to say, we will NOT be back until the resort has been completely renovated and reviewed. For the cost of this resort I recommend you go elsewhere where your business is appreciated and you'll get what you pay for and expect while on vacation.

Room Tip: Consider staying at another resort if you want to be pampered and catered to.
ottawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Bear in mind that this review is about the resort and not the people there.

Rooms are outdated but functional, however bathrooms are so small there is no way to be two in there at once. Hot water was a luxury and the shower system itself is a nightmare (complicated with multiple (sandblast) jets that go off (with cold water) when trying to adjest the main shower head). The food at the main buffet is horrible with little choice or variety; on Jamaican night (monday) book at another restaurant or plan to diet. The Japanese and Italian restaurants were much better. The prude beach grill was very good and by far the friendliest,
Just too often they were out of beach towels, and they allow folks to reserve chairs indefinately, which were in short supply on the nude beach. The chairs themselves are also old (stretched) and uncomfortable. There were also insufficient bartenders at the nude pool so you waited forever. Security was very lax and was letting folks with clothes on the nude side, including single males which was inappropriate. There were also issues with single males anoying couples in the hot tub at night with no security in sight.

Entertainment was better than most places, especially in the piano bar. The theme night formula is outdated as there was very little participation (only about 10% actually dress up for the theme nights while we were there - but that increased by the end of the week with a large takeover group coming in). Most folks simply get anoyed of being pushed by staff to parade on stage for a few useless "hedo bucks" and be patronized by staff with an attitude - Toya what an anoying b.... Don't get me wrong, we enjoy and participated in all theme nights, but without greater participation.... they need to do more to encourage folks.

The staff was great which is why I am not rating this as terrible and kept the place very clean. Especially Augustus that works non stop to keep the beach clean and and to ensure the guests are well taken care of - thanks. Safety deposit box kept giving an error and maintenance came and fixed it immeadiately.

Bottom line, old, run down, bad food, great staff (other than security).... but most of all, the people and vibe is just too much to keep us away and we are already planning our return.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same - some have a jaccuzzi. H block is best situated (central) and is far enough...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hedonism II? Share your experiences!